Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What kind of a magical servant are we talking about? Is it a one-time deal - or do we have to summon it each time we need his services? What happens if he dies - can we summon another one?

Truth be told, I want to have a disposable meatshield to tackle some of the threats more freely, but this servant will probably turn out another girl that I would feel bad about losing. :(

The first thing I'll do when we get back to Myrgard will be abusing dwarven hospitality and forcing my way into their Magic Academy to leech all they have available there. I assume they would have a lot of basic spells there. I'd rather learn something rare.

Hmmm... I'll go with 9>8. Protection spells may be very basic, but no one expects you to have them, and a lot of spells are of the one-hit-kill variety.

asxetos

Augur
Actually i think that Nine can give us all the training we need with Mental Spells in the future. I flop to 9. Cant really be a cool mage without summoning...

5 > 4

Metamagic training basically improves all of our casting abilities. Being able to cast faster than your opponent is very good, best defence is a good offence and all that. Plus it sounds like a pretty unique opportunity.

Nevill

Arcane
Metamagic is intriguing, yes, especially the part where you can cast while being incapasitated. As for uniquness, though...

"Meta" Spells - chaining together spells is fairly common for high level mages so many of these exist

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Actually i think that Nine can give us all the training we need with Mental Spells in the future. I flop to 9. Cant really be a cool mage without summoning...
The problem with only having one tutor like this is that we don't know if they're intentionally leaving gaps in our knowledge and creating backdoors to circumvent our mastery. By having two tutors who aren't in cahoots with each other, we're much more likely to be able to bridge any gap they intentionally or unintentionally leave in our knowledge.

Nine has effectively warned us to be wary of her gifts. I think we're right to listen to her here. She's already given us plenty of instruction, this guy's teachings will certainly help us in discovering any unfortunate surprises she might have left for us.

Unwanted

Bricks

Unwanted
1. Animal Based Spells - Not a far step for a mentalist, can be had elsewhere.
2. 'Physical' alteration spells -Readily available elsewhere.
3. Elemental Spells - Pointless
4. Illusions - Win win for a mentalist. Someone who can influence your mind and not even be fucking seen. Also, can not be had elsewhere.
5. Metamagic - Can be had elsewhere.
6. Movement - Pointless. Get a horse. Slowing stuff down is pointless if you can kill it with your mind. There is no aim penalty.
7. Nature and Weather Spells - Proto Dump Stat.
8. Protection Spells - Tempting to take the Anti Mental stuff to be safe and know how someone might be able to protect themselves.
9. A Summoning spell - Kewl but pointless. Fleshbags come cheap.
10. Mental spells - Imba spell school...

Illusion also works on an unlimited number of bodies, a sorta Mass Suggestion that is cheap and easy.

4 > 10 > 9

I'd also like to take this opportunity to lament the state of the creativity with the mental aspect of magic from the OP.
Minds as cities is kinda familiar aspect to me but I cant quite put my finger on where I have seen it. Its kewl in theory.
Big black cock on a flat white canvas as a human mind? Thats sad. But not even the lowest part. The pathetic part was
the description of those drunks in that tavern in midget city. It read like war propaganda. Stylistically, its degrading to
the drunk, working man. They are described as animals. The main one is even ugly! Those cardboard retardations are
dumb but superficial, what makes me shrug and wonder is their mindcity stuff. The OP makes their heads into dirty villages
with traps, lol, with traps for wolfs and shit! Now that is truly pathetic. Its a human mind, the fucking pinnacle of organic
what-the-fuck in this universe! There a gents around this planet who can remember literally everything. You could have
described them as unprepared, in disarray, hell - drunk! Could have equalized them in the dignity department, would have
done yourself a favor. I know this is assburger powerfantasy garbage but still, if I were a writer who is at least trying to
write quality I would give my damnedest no to sink to the level of idiotic Jewlywood Michael Bay movies. Its just wrong.
And there were options! Really. A myriad of them! You'd not even have to think, just take aspects of what we know of neuroscience
and dress it up...

I regret having swing voted mental in, instead of lameass lightning bolt! lightning bolt, oh wait, it wasnt even lightning bolt,
it was fireball, how appropriate for you fellas! Nothing except of disappointment came of mental...

Jester

Arbiter
5 for me sound like step into communication spells, i expect it will required a chain of sort to get it (there are probably other ways). And this casting while on cc can come in handy.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
What kind of a magical servant are we talking about? Is it a one-time deal - or do we have to summon it each time we need his services? What happens if he dies - can we summon another one?

Well the type of servant would depend entirely on how you go about finishing the spell. The sort of creature an Elementalist would create will probably be quite different to what a Mentalist will create. You will have to determine dimensions, composition and intelligence. As a result you could wind up with anything from a golem to a familiar to a servant.

As long as you have the relevant resources you can create as many as you like. The less complex the creature the easier it will be to create in bulk. You will also need some way to keep the spell functioning, a power source. If it is just one, and not too big or powerful you could probably keep the spell going by yourself for a while but the more complex the creation the more likely you will need external power sources.

Truth be told, I want to have a disposable meatshield to tackle some of the threats more freely, but this servant will probably turn out another girl that I would feel bad about losing.

Simple enough, don't give it a gender and don't give it a personality. ;)

Current Tally:

Baltika9: 3
Kipeci: 10>1
Kz3r0: 10
Grimgravy: 4>3>1
Smashing Axe: 10>2>6
Azira: 2>8
GreyViper: 10
Nevill: 9>8
asxetos: 9
Zero Credibility: 5>4
Bricks 4>10>9
Jester: 9>5

2. 1 vote
3. 1 vote
4. 2 votes
5. 1 vote
9. 3 votes
10. 4 votes

Post Flop:

2. 1 vote
3. 1 vote
4. 1 vote
5. 1 vote
9. 3 votes
10. 5 votes

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
As long as you have the relevant resources you can create as many as you like. The less complex the creature the easier it will be to create in bulk. You will also need some way to keep the spell functioning, a power source. If it is just one, and not too big or powerful you could probably keep the spell going by yourself for a while but the more complex the creation the more likely you will need external power sources.
Huh. So, can actual people/homunculi be created that way if we find a good enough power source?

That's... both disturbing and fascinating.

Simple enough, don't give it a gender and don't give it a personality. ;)
How do I refuse giving her a gender now that you have told me I can? :lol:

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Huh. So, can actual people/homunculi be created that way if we find a good enough power source?

That's... both disturbing and fascinating.

If you have the ability, the resources and enough power Derryth thinks that yes, you could create a 'person' so to speak. Now whether or not such artificial life would actually be 'alive' will be a debate for the philosophers. Derryth is, at the moment, more concerned with the practical applications of such a spell.

Fangshi

Arcane
Looks like 10 takes it then.

You will get him to build upon Nine's foundations and improve your mental attack and control spells. Update will be out when I have a few hours to put something together (probably 18-20 hrs).

And we will see how well the 'Dex will do inside a lunatic's mind. ;)

Fangshi

Arcane
I reorganized the character sheet a little as well. The lists were getting a bit long so skills and spells are now organized by their fields/schools. Let me know it that improved things at all.

Chapter 14: The Mad, Mad Mind I

"No, no, no! You are doing it wrong!" Lyssa, or rather Mazzarin, shouts from the great slab. The girl is bleeding again, from the eyes and nose, part of you feels responsible. It seems Mazzarin, while definitely a genius, is not a terribly good teacher. He will calmly explain a spell once. Often in archaic terms. If you fail to grasp it the first time he gets progressively angrier. The angrier he gets, the rougher he gets with Lyssa. You doubt he is doing it on purpose though. He does not seem to want to hurt the witch, he just does not much seem to care if he does.

"Who taught you to craft an assault spell? You can't just jump from Malairt's third principle of mental construction straight to Braman's Gambit like that. Any Mentalist worth his salt will pick your spells apart!" you are fairly certain he is over-exaggerating and that your spells would hold up well against most opponents but he has been helpful. He has found twenty two minor flaws in the way you construct you assault and control spells that would allow a superior talent to fight back. Nothing obvious of course, nothing that your average mage could use against you but still it makes you wonder what exactly Nine was planning.

Mazzarin asks just that, with a level of condescension only attainable by an archmage, "Are you trying to undermine your pupils or are you simply stupid 'Nine'?"

Nine, incapable of rising above such slights immediately responds, "Am I what? Why you useless, wretched corpse! You- you relic! I was testing them, nothing more! And you ruined it!"

"'Testing them?' Really Nine, I am not a fool! You were purposely undermining your own students!" brutally, Lyssa's head snaps back to you and Thaïs, "Now! Do it again! Exactly as I instruct you!"

Nine begins to grin as Mazzarin walks you through mental spells of increasing potency and complexity.

After an hour of instruction she can hold back no longer, "Hypocrite! Liar! You are as bad as I am! No you are worse! You lie about it!" she sticks her tongue out at the archmage and rolls her gaze over to the two of you, "Do you know what he has been doing dears? For every little hole he patches up in your spells he has been opening two more! He thinks he is so very clever! Thinks I won't notice what he is doing to my dear girls! But I am on to him."

Calmly she has you begin again and she guides you through your new spells, sealing off the flaws in each as you go.

You spend the entire day like this. A pawn is the petty arguments of two, arguably insane, archmages. They bicker, hurl insults and attempt to discredit each other in your eyes. The entire experience is a little absurd and more than once you are tempted to break into fits of laughter.

By the time it is over you are exhausted but your spells have been greatly improved and you have even managed to pick up a few new ones though you will need more actual practice with most of them to master them.

The experience itself has also been very enlightening. You have never been so acutely aware of just how petty, how small, even the greatest minds can be. It is not an encouraging thought and part of you worries that even should you succeed in your quest for power you will one day end up like those two.

------------------------------------------------

You and Thaïs sit across from one another. Nine rests between you on the soft grass of the meadow. Biliku and Uttu stand guard nearby with a couple Arrows. The rest of the mercenaries are off guarding Lyssa and Mazzarin in their cell. You did not think it wise to conduct the ritual in front of the archmage, you do not really trust him after all.

"Alright dears, I am ready," the two of you have spent the better part of the evening preparing yourselves for the most dangerous spell either of you have tried to cast to date.

You look to Thaïs, your friend gives you the slightest of nods.

You close your eyes and begin.

"Alright Derryth, repeat my three rules of dungeon delving," you sit in a run down little tavern in the south of the Province, Henry is across from you and like usual is testing you.

Mazzarin had told you that you would begin somewhere familiar.

But this time it is important, tomorrow you will accompany him on your very first expedition.

In many ways it is fitting that your mind brought you here.

You take a deep breath and begin, "One: always know your exits, if you get lost you are as good as dead. Two: always go prepared, an empty canteen or bad equipment will kill you just as surely as the undead or the traps."

This will be your first time 'running' the mind of another person.

"Good... good, and the last," nothing pleases the old man more than knowing that you are paying attention, if you get this last one right he will probably pay for your drinks too.

Sure the two of you managed to practice on one another a couple times but this, this will be a whole new level of danger.

You hesitate for a moment and then continue, "Umm... Three: never get greedy, you can always try again and there are plenty of relics out there but you only have the one life." Henry positively beams at you, "Good job kid I may just make you into a professional after all!"

You smile at Henry as he walks to the bar to get you both another round. This memory is so perfect, so relaxing, part of you wants to just stay here and enjoy it a bit longer... but you can not. You think of the task ahead of you, of Thaïs, of Nine, no point living in the past.

Hmm... that is strange, Henry is coming back empty handed. That is not how this memory is supposed to play out. The barman must have turned him away.

Your mentor sits down across from you, "She says I am cut off kid. Says you need to get up and ask for your own ale."

She? This bar has never had a female bartender. Strange... you stand and head to the bar. If this bartender wants to talk to you, you will oblige her though you have a fairly good idea who it will be already.

Sure enough, Nine stands behind the bar, in one of the more revealing little dresses you have ever seen. She waves to you. Then she waves again and jumps up and down a little, "Oh dear! Is this not simply magnificent! I have arms!" she strikes a pose, "And legs!" she does a high kick over the bar, someone whistles, "Oh thank you dear!" she winks at the patron before turning her attention back to you, "And this is such a lovely little tavern you have here. So that is Henry?" she winks at your mentor, "Cute, in a rugged 'older man' sort of way."

She hops up on the bar and swings her legs over in a single fluid motion. Poised on the edge of the bar she leans forward, elbows on her knees, and hands under her chin, "So dear, gossip with me a little. You and him, did you ever... you know?" she raises her eyebrows and grins.

It takes you a second longer than it should to figure out her meaning, you sputter, "No! Never, Nine! Henry was like a father to me, I would not even-"

She hops down, "Good, then you will not mind if I go and talk to him," she moves to pass you and you grab her arm, "Nine, really?" you whisper to her, "He is not real Nine. He is just an idea, a memory."

She giggles and makes eyes at Henry, "Dear, I have been a severed head for what, a century give or take? All I have got are ideas and memories, now let me have a little fun please."

You refuse to release her arm so she pouts a little, "Oh fine!" we stares at him intently.

"Nine what are you doing?" you feel compelled to ask.

"Committing every detail to memory... there we go," she winks one last time at Henry, "See you later gorgeous."

"Come on, we are going to find Thaïs ," you drag the archmage out the front door as the entire bar voices their displeasure at you. Nine blows kisses to them as the two of you stumble out into the street... but not the street of the little town you were expecting.

White stone walls with red tile roofs greet you. You are still somewhere in the south of the Province but now you are in a city. There is only one city this could be, you are in Scales, the city of wine, the city of music, poetry, love, some say the city of whores...

It is a cool, autumn night. People race through the streets around you, arms full of possessions. You sidestep the odd fight and in the distance you can hear screams... smell smoke... You stop Nine while you gather your thoughts, the old bell tower chimes out midnight. Now you know not just where you are but when.

That bell tower was destroyed the second time the Fallen sacked the city. You are in Scales before it fell, probably in the autumn of 2540 A.E., right before the city fell to Shiver. The screams you can hear, the smoke you can smell, you are almost certain that if you followed them back to their source you would find the Mother of Plagues herself.

Somewhere out there in the darkness is Shiver... or at least something patterned on Shiver. You where not in the city when it fell. Henry had the sense to flee from the south when the first rumours of Soulblighter's return began to spread. These are not your memories and they are obviously not Nine's. Thaïs must have been here, seen the city fall. You are certain now that you are in her mind. When you thought of her you must have jumped over to her mind. Thankfully that means you will not have to worry about the real Shiver, of course Thaïs' idea of Shiver can be just as dangerous to you...

You catch Nine's attention, "We need to find Thaïs," unfortunately this is not your mind, you can not simply bring Thaïs to you. You will have to find her. You rack your mind, trying to remember Thaïs' address, where she would be. She once mentioned that she lived on the north side of the city. With nothing else to go on, that is the direction you take.

The two of you race through the night away from the screams and sounds of battle at the east gate. As you run you interrogate Nine, "Nine, how did you find me in my mind? That might give us a clue on how to find Thaïs."

Nine sidesteps an elderly couple dragging a large chest, "Well dear, I did not find you. You found me. I went looking for you in that fort of yours but there were so many doors and each led out into memories, experiences, fantasies, little worlds of their own. One minute I was walking down a hallway and the next I was behind the bar in this lovely little dress. Speaking of which it is a bit chilly tonight," she snaps her fingers and her barmaid outfit is replaced by a fur coat, velvet tunic and trousers, "So you see dear, I did not really do anything. It was your mind, you had the power. This is your little friend's mind, here she has the power. If she wants-"

The two of you stop short, four blocks ahead a figure floats down the street surrounded by thirty Stygian Knights. She is a nightmare given flesh, the air around her crackles with magical energy and instinctively you know that this is Shiver. She is not looking at you though, she is looking at a crowd of people fleeing in the opposite direction. She casually launches screaming bolts of violet energy into the crowd. Every target she hits falls, gasping, gurgling, their flesh boiling away as they evaporate leaving not a trace.

She is toying with the crowd. Without warning she turns, she sees the two of you. Nine catches a glimpse of her face and freezes, "Dear, I... I know her... I do not know how or from where but... I know her."

Shiver laughing manically pitches a bolt of azure energy towards you. It plummets towards you, accelerating as it goes. You attempt to defend yourself but it proves unnecessary. Well before the spell connects the two of you disappear.

You reappear in a small apartment overlooking the street. Thaïs is there pacing. When she notices the two of you she throws herself at you, "Oh thank Wyrd Derryth! I saw you in the street from the window. I was not sure if it would work! I mean, I thought it would but I just was not sure!" she takes a breath, calms herself, "Sorry, sorry. I caught a glimpse of you out there but I did not want to risk drawing her attention Derryth. So I tried willing you over, thankfully it worked."

"Dear, why did you not simply remove Shiver?" your mentor asks, "This is your mind after all."

Thaïs frowns, "I have tried that before... she... she is just too much for me. I can't beat her, not yet... the memory... it is too much."

You place a reassuring hand on her shoulder, "Do you want help with her?"

She smiles but shakes her head, "No. No, I am fine. It is just something I will have to work through on my own... someday... but let's do what we came to do," She walks over to the door of the apartment, opens it and ushers you through.

You come out in what could only be Nine's mind.

You stand in front of a city of shifting, writhing, emerald glass bound together by golden threads. It is an impressive sight but as you get closer you realize that the city is crawling along. Almost every millimetre of this 'city' is covered in tiny creatures working to maintain their network of webs. They work, they wander, they battle, they devour, they breed. With large, round, hooked jaws they burrow into one another. A symphony of inhuman screams fills the air.

"Wow, Nine... just wow," the three of you stand, well you and Thaïs stand while Nine dances, before the main gate, "So, um, how are we going to do this."

"Well dear, we will go through the front gates and see if we can not find a guide to give us directions," she hums merrily and spins on her heels still quite taken with once more possessing a body.

"So you do not know where we have to go?" Thaïs asks in disbelief.

The archmage pulls a pirouette, "Well dear, when you have been around as long as I have you forget a few things... or a lot of things..." she giggles and flips into a cartwheel.

You shrug and approach the main gate, Thaïs one step behind you.

You knock.

You receive no answer.

You give the door a shove.

It opens a crack, "Are you coming Nine?"

"Yes dears," she races over, running on her hands.

Shaking your head you lead the way into the city.

--------------------------------------

The translucent glass lets in little light.

Each hallway is, as the one before it, empty. The only movement comes from the miniature monstrosities weaving their webs on the outside of the glass. They create beautiful, intricate patterns that gnaw at the edges of your mind when you stare at them for more than a moment.

No sound penetrates through from the exterior. As a result you are mercifully spared you from having to endure the constant wailing of the beasts.

Interspersed along the length of the hallway are oval doorways, each a gaping maw rimmed with short, narrow spikes. Around each door frame a stylized reproduction of the beasts that maintain the place is etched into the thick glass. Some of the openings lead to new hallways, some lead to small rooms, all are dim and empty.

You wander for hours without encountering a soul. Then the hallway shudders and you receive a vision of Thaïs falling into the darkness. The image that hits you is similar to those projected by the bracelets only here in the realm of pure thought you have no choice but to immediately comply, you are compelled to do everything in your power to help her. You instinctively reach for one another as the hallway begins to tip. You grab a hold of the frame of a nearby doorway, narrowly missing one of the spikes as the hall pitches upward and twists.

Nine, too far from the two of you for you to help, plummets into the darkness. Giggling she calls to you as she falls, "Take care dears! I will find you when I can! If I can!"

The two of you hang there in the dim light for what seems like an eternity. Finally the hallway shudders again and tips over onto its 'back' throwing you both down to what was the ceiling.

Aside from a few bruises you are fine, immediately you turn to Thaïs, "Are you alright?"

She seems unsure but nods, "Yes, I think so. Are you fine?"

"Yes," you answer as the two of you get to your feet, you call out, "Nine! Can you hear me!"

Nothing.

Thaïs brushes herself off, "I think we are on our own for the moment. I-"

You hear a scream, a high pitched voice calls out, "Kill, murder, eat!"

The two of you duck low, "That does not sound good," Thaïs shivers.

"Yes but it is also the first sign of life we have encountered since we arrived. Maybe we are finally coming to a portion of the city that is inhabited," you gesture for her to follow you as you creep through a doorway towards the source of the noise.

The room you enter is unlike any you have seen so far.

The room you enter has two floors to it, the upper catwalk you are crouched on and a lower floor on which a brutal battle is being waged. The two are connected by a narrow flight of stairs on the far side.

A dozen, crooked, sickly figures are locked in a fight to the death. From your vantage point you have a good view of the skirmish.

The combatants seem to belong to two different factions. Each side is armed with crude weapons, small spears, axes, bows and arrows made from bone and tendon.

The bigger group of seven creatures are led by a rather large being carrying a small emerald sphere, each one bears a glowing green scar somewhere on its upper body.

The smaller group of creatures are armed and armoured the same as the first but lack the green scars on their bodies.

It is clear that the 'marked' creatures will win this battle so long as the balance of power remains as it is.

One of the unmarked creatures is flung across the room and collapses in a pile along the far wall crying.

You could probably interfere but these things may very well be hostile to you as well.

Still this is the first solid lead you have encountered so far, it might be worth pursuing.

Alternatively you could slip away and try and find Nine. You would feel much safer with her around.

A) Attack the larger group - You are fairly certain that the larger group are the aggressors. The unmarked creatures might just be able to help you if you save their 'lives'. (All A votes will be counted together given how similar they are in intent, the most popular option will then be chosen.)

i. Control: You will try out your new Control spell on the lead creature. If you can get it to attack its followers that should give the unmarked creatures a fighting chance. You will work with Thaïs on this as neither of you have mastered the spell yet.

ii. Assault: You will use your assault spells to incapacitate as many of the creatures as you can. This should allow the unmarked creatures to fight back.

iii. Fear: You will test your new Fear spells to break the marked creature will. Once they begin routing the unmarked should be able to run them down.

iv. Fire: These creatures live in near darkness. You have seen no hints that they are even aware of what fire is. You will hit the lead creature with firebolt, then work your way down the chain of command. They should route rather quickly after that. If this works it would also make for a rather impressive sight and might overawe the locals.

v. Retrieve Item + Control: You will steal the lead creature's orb first then proceed as in Ai

B) Diplomacy - you will wait until the battle ends then attempt to negotiate with the marked creatures and their sphere carrying leader.

C) Spy - You will let the battle play out then attempt to follow the marked creatures back to their lair. You do not think this war party would be open to negotiation but they may have a leader that is more reasonable.

D) Capture - You will slip around to the stairs and grab the incapacitated creature leaning on the far wall. If you are quick you hope you can pull it off without anyone spotting you. Once you have the creature you can properly interrogate it.

E) Leave - These creatures do not really strike you as reasonable. You leave them to their war and go backward looking for Nine.

F) freeform

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The sphere is exercising some form of magic on the marked creatures, either mental compulsion or physical enhancement. I want to try out mental control on the leader, we seem to be at a safe enough vantage point for it. It's good practice and if it works should turn the tide. If it fails we can resort to more direct methods, these creatures don't seem that dangerous except in melee.

After the battle, try to question the survivors. The unmarked creatures, if sapient, may be grateful enough, or intimidated enough into serving as escorts for us. (It always helps to have mooks to send forward to activate traps when dungeon delving)

Ai

Fangshi, just where do we come now powerwise on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being a complete non-magical talent, 10 being the real Mazzarin

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Smashing Axe said:
Fangshi, just where do we come now powerwise on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being a complete non-magical talent, 10 being the real Mazzarin

Hmm, the power rankings look vaguely like this if you remove everything except raw magical talent:

The Very Best:
Mazzarin
The Watcher
Balor (when he bothered to cast)

World Class Archmages:
The Deceiver
Murgen
Alric
The Faceless Man

Exceptional Archmages:
The Voiceless One, Shiver, Nine (if she could cast)
Rabican

Skilled Archmages:
The Lurker
Maeldun

Experienced Archmages:
Cu Roi
Phelot
Many of the Shades

Archmages:
Soulblighter
----------------------Archmage cutoff line--------------------------------

Exceptional Mages:
Derryth, Thaïs
Christine
Neith

Skilled Mages:
Miosguinn (channeling the Goddess)
Lyssa

Above Average Mages:
Madb, Miosguinn (most of the time)

Average Mages:
Amena, Isolde
Serpent
Henry
The Prophet

Skilled Amateurs:
Ceannard
Brigit
Meletē <--------------------------------------You and Thaïs started out here at the beginning of the CYOA

Novices:
Some of the Damned you rescued.

No Real Talent to speak of:
Everybody Else

A couple cautions. Spell selection, battle tactics, just plain old deviousness and a variety of other things can change the ranking quite a bit. Alric is the most successful archmage of this era but he is not the strongest. Sometimes how you use what you have has a greater impact than how powerful you are.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Control is one of the riskirer methods of trying to combat these things.

Control - (Mental) Allows the caster to take near complete physical control over the target. The caster can not do anything else while 'piloting' the target and must retain a direct line of sight to their target at all times. The target will attempt to resist with their odds of success based on their willpower. If the caster attempts to force the target to do something they strongly disagree with a second check will be required.
Not only the spell is not mastered, but it also allows for a second attempt to resist it. Then again, with a "Kill, murder, eat!" attitude, would the large creature really disagree with attacking its own servants?

After the battle, try to question the survivors. The unmarked creatures, if sapient, may be grateful enough, or intimidated enough into serving as escorts for us. (It always helps to have mooks to send forward to activate traps when dungeon delving).
If your goal is to awe/intimidate them, would the Fire not serve better?

I am somewhere between Aiv, Aii (in case the marked creatures revert to the unmarked state once the large one with the sphere falls) and D. The only thing that is worrying me in D is that we let the marked creatures go free. They are clearly a stronger group here, and if they are hostile - which they seem to be - we might have problems fighting them later.

For now I'd go with something that ensures maximum casualties/fear on both sides. They are all imaginary anyway.

Aiv

As much as I want to steer clear of the madness, we can't expect the other parts of Nine's mind to be more reasonable than what we've seen. Looking for her might be a waste of time at best, and get us lost at worst. You don't find the owner of the mind, they find you instead:
Nine sidesteps an elderly couple dragging a large chest, "Well dear, I did not find you. You found me. I went looking for you in that fort of yours but there were so many doors and each led out into memories, experiences, fantasies, little worlds of their own. One minute I was walking down a hallway and the next I was behind the bar in this lovely little dress. Speaking of which it is a bit chilly tonight," she snaps her fingers and her barmaid outfit is replaced by a fur coat, velvet tunic and trousers, "So you see dear, I did not really do anything. It was your mind, you had the power. This is your little friend's mind, here she has the power. If she wants-"

Besides, we've asked Nine about our next course of action, and she told us to find a guide. And this is the first 'sentient' species we've come across in a while. There is no guarantee we will find someone else, or that that someone will be more willing to talk. That makes me want to act.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Hmm, the power rankings look vaguely like this if you remove everything except raw magical talent.
So where is the line separating an exceptional mage from an archmage? What does an 'archmage' even stand for? I'll admit that 'archmage Derryth, a fell and terrible master of the Dark Arts' has a nice ring to it, but what is required of us to be actually considered one?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom