Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Doom 3: BFG Edition

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
not ever f34r? :O

(I'm playing Doom right now, which is why I noted this thread)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fear is quite good although it's a shame 90% of the enemies are the same.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Glad to see people giving FEAR its due. Honestly, I've never seen better shooting in a first person shooter. The various gun battles in that game were thrilling fun. Fuck on rails cinematic garbage, give me a complex room, with multiple intelligent enemies, some great visual feedback for weapons fire, and satisfyingly gory kill shots. I ended up playing through FEAR a ridiculous number of times; too bad the sequels sucked.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
It's funny that the non-canon spinoffs wound up being infinitely better than the actual sequels because it was essentially just more of the same thing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
FEAR 2 and FEAR 3 are some of the most disappointing games for me. The third one at least has some neat ideas but both are frankly terrible compared to the original.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Glad to see people giving FEAR its due. Honestly, I've never seen better shooting in a first person shooter. The various gun battles in that game were thrilling fun. Fuck on rails cinematic garbage, give me a complex room, with multiple intelligent enemies, some great visual feedback for weapons fire, and satisfyingly gory kill shots. I ended up playing through FEAR a ridiculous number of times; too bad the sequels sucked.
Which is why the ending sucks ass. Instead of memorable final shoot out with Fettel, you are treated to a on the rails cinematic final sequence while fighting bullshit shadow enemies with whatever weapon the game deigns to let you have for that particular sequence.

Also you do not get to kill the fat programmer, that was disappointing. He is invincible even while laying on the floor bleeding to death.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
All Doom games are shit since they're just Wolfenstein clones with moronic looking demons.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So, I decided to play the vanilla on veteran and it is quite thrilling. I am very pleasantly surprised since I remember the game a lot more boring. There are some scary moments too as the monsters can kill you quite easily. Looking back, I think it was quite underrated.

I actually have to make breaks while playing it, something that hasn't happened to me since the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Amnesia:TDD. Either I have become bad at shooters so I die too easily and am on edge all the time or the game is not bad at all. I am happy I installed it and honestly don't understand why it got so much hate.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, I decided to play the vanilla on veteran and it is quite thrilling. I am very pleasantly surprised since I remember the game a lot more boring. There are some scary moments too as the monsters can kill you quite easily. Looking back, I think it was quite underrated.

I actually have to make breaks while playing it, something that hasn't happened to me since the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Amnesia:TDD. Either I have become bad at shooters so I die too easily and am on edge all the time or the game is not bad at all. I am happy I installed it and honestly don't understand why it got so much hate.
Because at the time of release people imagine different things from id, like for example more than 3 enemies at one time. It's true that the FPS decline since then has been so strong, that a game with a fast moving, non cover sticking doomguy, who can carry more than two weapons at a time and whose health does not regenerate is pretty good in retrospect, but at that time it was disappointing, given id's pedigree. Yeah, it's much better than CoD, but it sure is not better than Doom 1 & 2, which is what it was comapred to, being Doom 3.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The only FPS to carry on the 'shitloads of enemies at once' torch is the Serious Sam franchise. Doom 3, while atmospheric, was definitely a sharp departure from id's past games.

I played FEAR and it never really hit with me. For all the talk of intelligent AI, it didn't really seem to do anything. The guns weren't that interesting and the environments were same-ish. And the bullet time thing was just pure cheese and made everything too easy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

It was never a bad game, it was just a bad Doom game. If there's one thing I have learned from reading PC gaming forums for 15 years it's that people expect Fluffernutter 4 to play like and match up to Fluffernutter 3.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
One fault Doom 3 had, something I'd rarely blame game for, was that it was simply too long with too little alterations between levels and monster variety until the end. Especially the early game stretches far too long with all the alpha-1,2,3 levels only to be transferred into beta-1,2,3 levels and then various other sections with similiar structures and same looking corridors.

By the time I got to Hell level I could only say "Fucking finally", only to find the section very short and then being thrust straight back into the same corridors I had played through hours on hours already. Very disappointed on that.

Had the level design been more varied or at least less of them, the gun sounds more bombastic (especially the wimp sounding shotgun) and enemies more/plentiful from early on and it'd have been alright jump-scare shooter. Now it's just meh.

Wasteland 2

I think Doom 3 was really good. The problem for the fans of original was, that it was nohing like D1,2. It was a Half-life clone basically.
It feature a huge scientific / industrial complex, imagined witch excellent detail and emphasis on solid S-F and plausibility. UAC complex was the main "character", just like Black Mesa in HL.
It was also invaded by forces from another dimension and was in a state of partial destruction, gameplay, pacing and level design were really similar.

As a Half-Life clone, I've found it much better than Half-life 2 ( episodes were better, but base game bored me to no end ).
The only gripes I had with Doom 3 were lack of inteligent commando units, that can regroup and flank you and overused scare jumps.
Really: enter corridor - hear teleportotion sound - turn around and shot the Imp - turn around and continue was an annoying routine not a surprise.
As for id pedigree at the time, it was much better than Quake 2 no doubt.

And there is not enough Half-Life clones, there are only COD and Gears clones past ten years, Metro games are the only modern ones I can name from memory.
Serious Sam carry over Doom torch in terms of combat gameplay, but it completely lacks exploration of crazy level architecture and puzzle key hunt I enjoyed even more, than circlestrafing hordes of enemies.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Really: enter corridor - hear teleportotion sound - turn around and shot the Imp - turn around and continue was an annoying routine not a surprise.
From my experience enemies teleport both in front of you and behind you and it makes the fights quite dense as you can't retreat and have to shoot either those in front of you or those behind you in other to maneuver. Moving is a huge part of Doom 3's gameplay as enemies don't attack instantly attack you and you can evade their attacks (except for the marines). Unlike most shooters, you can successfully evade most attacks. Receiving more damage on higher difficulties definitely makes it challenging as you have to actually play and not just pop moles while being stationary/behind cover. In this respect it is similar to Doom 1 and 2. In Doom 3 enemies actually have more types of attacks i.e. jumping at you (which is avoidable if you run).

I don't know how well the game would work if there were more enemies, perhaps if the levels were more open it would be nice, but considering how narrow the corridors are the number of enemies is not really a problem for me.

That being said, it is a very different game compared to Doom 1&2, perhaps not as revolutionary, but it definitely can stand on its own. Thanks to the better technology the environments and the story are more fleshed out. The behavior of the enemies is more complex too (different types of attacks, the imps melee you when you get close, the Demons (walking head creatures) jump at you, the Floating Souls (flying skulls) are much harder to hit etc). I am quite pleased with the monster designs and I think id don't get enough credit for making such good models while staying true to the original ones.

Doom 3 is now as old as the original was at the time of its release. Even today it is regarded as a mediocre game, which I think is unfortunate. Considering how things are today I feel sorry for the series.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Brofist on the moving part. Dodging projectiles is a bigger thing in Doom 3 than any other 3D shooter, arguably.

A user named cat

I found Prey to be much better and more interesting than Doom 3 using the same engine, despite the even shittier gun combat and that stupid post-death minigame. The whole intro to the game was pretty top notch and impressive too. I definitely had a 'Crysis' experience the first time witnessing that abduction with Blue Oyster Cult playing, then being trollied around that alien ship.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom