Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye The Blackwell Epiphany

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I will wait for the full version, unless you can transfer saved games from the demo?

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm about to pay real money for this game. The demo was glorious. So much quality!

:bro:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yup. The only game I preordered this year, and I don't expect that to change as the Witcher 3 was moved to 2015.

Not counting Kickstarter games, obviously.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
GOG installer is giving me a runtime error :/

nvm rebooting fixed it

wtf :retarded:

Last edited:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game is pretty good so far. And suspenseful. (Also Steam cards.)

EDIT:
Well, that was certainly one way to make sure there would be no sequels.

EDIT2:
So, after mulling over the ending for a while I have to say I do not much care for it.

Last edited:

Eyeball

Arcane
Neither did I care much for the ending. I found it to be unneccessarily schmaltzy. Also, I may have missed some clue somewhere, but I never quite got why Joey became a spirit guide in the first place. I missed an achievement, so it may have been explained somewhere, but I just got the 1920ies intermission with Joey walking into the void, no mention of him coming back to haunt the Blackwell women. Is this explained anywhere?

I must say that I really dig Wadjeteye's tech-geek integration of a search engine and Iphone into their later games. The way you had to discern the little girl's secrets using some pretty unconventional adventure game means was pretty damned awesome, in my opinion, all the more for being pretty feasible even outside of Adventure Game Logic

Great game and a great series. I think the Blackwell games are one of my favourite adventure game series - the mix of detective work and spirit-psychology works really well and the main characters are compelling.

Also
yay for the return of Rosa's sexy-voiced auntie! I liked the game starring her the best on account of her husky smoker's drawl

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Neither did I care much for the ending. I found it to be unneccessarily schmaltzy.
My biggest problem with it was that it got suddenly without any warning EPIC(TM). There's the twist, Rosa becoming a basket case and then suddenly EVERY HUMAN SOUL IN NYC WILL BE DESTROYED!
Also they pretty much abandoned the plot set up in the stinger of the fourth game.

Eyeball

Arcane
Yeah, the abandoning of the Ep4 plot hook surprised me a bit too. "EVIL CULT IS AFOOT, I WILL DEDICATE MY LIFE TO STOP THEM IF IT'S THE LAST THING I oh nevermind, lemme get some coffee instead."

evdk

Patron
Yeah, the abandoning of the Ep4 plot hook surprised me a bit too. "EVIL CULT IS AFOOT, I WILL DEDICATE MY LIFE TO STOP THEM IF IT'S THE LAST THING I oh nevermind, lemme get some coffee instead."
Also if everyone in New York suddenly fell asleep the death toll would be hilarious, not to mention that somebody would probably notice.

Eyeball

Arcane
Yeah. "Shit just got EPIC!" was a pretty awkward ending to an otherwise excellent video game series.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Just finished it.

I too was disappointed by the endgame section, which barely makes any sense at all, as well as by abandonment of the psychic vampires story arc from Deception. Well, ok, it wasn't exactly abandoned, but there was no resolution to it.

The ending itself is ok, IMO, but just ok. Could be worse, but it could certainly be better.

Eyeball
Talk to Rosa when she is possesed by Madeline, she explains why Joey became a spirit guide after you choose one of dialogue options.
According to Madeline, it was because he was the last ghost they saved. However, the ending suggests he wanted to stay among the living because he loved life so much.

Does anyone know how to get "Deception" achievement, btw? Usually I don't care about those, but in case of Blackwell games not getting an achivement sometimes means missing something cool. What did I miss?

evdk

Patron
Does anyone know how to get "Deception" achievement, btw? Usually I don't care about those, but in case of Blackwell games not getting an achivement sometimes means missing something cool. What did I miss?
I got the Deception achievement along with the Time To Move On one for finishing the game, but don't know what for, sorry.

Koschey

Arcane
So I'm not the only one who thought the ending was pretty meh.
The final part of the game and the ending felt pretty hodgepodge overall, with lots of backpedaling and Gilbert seemingly going out of his way to avert the darker implications of the story with justifications that feel like afterthoughts. The psychic vampires are pretty much ignored until Joey meets Benjiro's ghost, who genuinely wanted to help people. So of course it's not so bad that Rosa didn't actually go after the vampires, because some are nice, see? The giant soul obliterating vortex of destruction didn't actually hurt anyone and no one will remember it, because everyone just fell asleep. And no one drove around in a car, took a bath, handled an open flame or simliar. Joey's sudden resurrection felt pretty out of place as well, the possiblity of which should have been better foreshadowed. The whole series deals with how impersonal and uncaring death is, about accepting death and moving on and then something like that is thrown in out of nowhere in the final few minutes.

All in all, I don't think the ending is terrible, but certainly underwhelming and not up to the standards of the rest of the series. Other than that, I had a lot of fun with the game and have to agree with Kendra's arc being especially well done.
One point I'm not perfectly clear on, though. According to the police, Kendra died because she was shot. Who shot her? The mind-controlled priest? If so, why? Her mother was the target.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom