Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic: The Gathering

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
1.1 that's a very questionable pick. loyal pegasus is extremely luck-dependent card, especially if you're going second. both raised by the wolves and chorus of the tides are much better than it. kragma butcher is also an option to consider.

i think raised by the wolves is overrated, and i don' tlike chorus of the tides. it's either badly costed or has bad stats. at 4 for a 3/2, it dies to too much stuff. i only play it in green/blue decks with some form of acceleration.
i really dislike red in this format, but that's just me.
i like fast deck in theros draft, a quick enough start can put you in a strong position on just a couple turns. i'm not sure what you mean by luck dependent, if you're an aggressive deck and have another flyer out (white has a lot of those), you're good.
Oh, and one example, if you fall behind enough, you sometimes have to trade chorus of the tides with pegasi like that. which is shit.

1.2 unless you manage to pick up a couple of springleaf drums (fat chance), general is really bad. it's either chorus, kragma butcher or swordwise centaur here.
it's a human, so it goes well with the other common pegasus that gives flying, retraction helix and the like help, and again, i was going for a quick deck

1.3 why do you hate choruses so much, man? it's clearly a better pick, especially given that you've seen zero stratus walks yet and, without couple of them, hypnotist isn't half as hot.
a turn 2 hypnotist can allow you to keep attacking without your opponent being able to block effectively for 2/3 turns. again, i was going for tempo.

1.7 at this point, it seems like you've passed too much red to be considering going there. I dunno, maybe the right choice here is to hate on the eye gouge - with 2x skyguards, you don't want that shit floating around.
probably. it's a decent card getting there late, i was keeping a door open. probably a mistake.

1.8 anyhow, if you were considering going red, should've picked up the brute here.
with 2 skyguards and the option of more heroic stuff to come, the combo of a heroic + a recurring enchantment is not too shabby.

1.10 dreamfinder seems like a better pick.
i've tried to play that card and the only time when it's useful is when you have a lot of ordeals

2.6 from the viewpoint of hatedraft, revelry seems like a more dangerous card to your deck. mender is really slow, doesn't fly and you should race it easily. revelry, on the other hand, may break up some really fast tempo openings. well, at the moment you don't really have any targets for it, but you really want to pick 'em up in pack 3.
possibly, i was realizing that i didn't have as many flyers as i thought and wanted that out of the way

2.11 same here - you're not going to play bounty and, at times, instant speed disenchants may cripple you.
this is true

3.1 & 3.2 - see, now your opponents got 2 more answers for these guys that they should've gotten.
as above

3.4 why no love for the last breath?
i used to always play at least one, even more if i had wingsteeds and other heroic stuff so it wasn't a dead card.
however by now i know my deck isn't going where i want it to go, and a fast start with that ordeal blows me out quite hard

3.5 eh, spellheart is almost impossible to build in your deck so hating it is kinda meh.
i played 2 chimeras maindeck. with 6 maindeck instants/sorceries, they were consistently 3/3 and 4/3 in one case.

3.11 chosen really looked better here. especially since you've took deepwater hypnotist and god-favored general.
i already had one and only 3+1 heroic creatures (3 good, 1 quite pointless in this deck), and i was planning to play the other chimera already. played 3 mountains and was ok with the mana

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Welcome, to another episode of: Me, drafting poorly, and still going 3-0 somehow.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=96kgs

I think i owe some explanations beforehand
p1p1: i so wanted to go blue, but i'd still be passing first pick material, whether i pick helix or sudden storm. also, i'm tired of always drafting blue. so i stay open.
by pack 5, however, i'm "ah fuck this, come on"

red is super open as always, because it's a terrible color, but who cares anymore, let's just play, plus i always play red in constructed, so

p2p1 is when i have to decide if going red white or red green
i like red white better, but green seems more open, and i enjoy the combination more

and look at that, p2p2, i'm rewarded!

i thought i could play the mender because drum and green has fixers
didn't play it in the end

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Welcome, to another episode of: Me, drafting poorly, and still going 3-0 somehow.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=96kgs

I think i owe some explanations beforehand
p1p1: i so wanted to go blue, but i'd still be passing first pick material, whether i pick helix or sudden storm. also, i'm tired of always drafting blue. so i stay open.
by pack 5, however, i'm "ah fuck this, come on"

red is super open as always, because it's a terrible color, but who cares anymore, let's just play, plus i always play red in constructed, so

p2p1 is when i have to decide if going red white or red green
i like red white better, but green seems more open, and i enjoy the combination more

and look at that, p2p2, i'm rewarded!

i thought i could play the mender because drum and green has fixers
didn't play it in the end

I just had a look at that draft and wow... you got some insane cards passed to you in packs 2 and 3.

Why the drum as p1p1? I think that the bolt was the obvious pick there if you don't want to draft blue, you definitely have the problem that red is quite overdrafted in btg and then you get fucked with the 2 theros boosters, but still its a risk worth taking, but man it just came back to you, quite a strong signal that red is wide open :D.

Other than that I think that you made the right picks. I would have definitely picked the hundred handed one over time to feed in p2p1 and then would have regreted it, good call.
Just one thing why did you pick the akroan crusader over the stoneshock giant in p3p4 i think that stoneshock is one of the best red uncommons in theros and curve or not its a great finisher :).

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Why the drum as p1p1? I think that the bolt was the obvious pick there if you don't want to draft blue, you definitely have the problem that red is quite overdrafted in btg and then you get fucked with the 2 theros boosters, but still its a risk worth taking, but man it just came back to you, quite a strong signal that red is wide open :D.

in my experience, red is the worst color in this format. aside from some soft removal and a couple beaters, red commons are not very good, unlike black, blue or white commons, and a good number of green too.
Therefore, i try to avoid it, unless i start getting passed the good rares/uncommons late. the drum is a good fixer/accelerator and allows me to stay open.

Other than that I think that you made the right picks. I would have definitely picked the hundred handed one over time to feed in p2p1 and then would have regreted it, good call.
Just one thing why did you pick the akroan crusader over the stoneshock giant in p3p4 i think that stoneshock is one of the best red uncommons in theros and curve or not its a great finisher :).
i wasn't sure about that, and when in doubt, i go for faster, cheaper cards in this format. might as well be a mistake. i already had 2 5cc cards and i don't like stuff that costs a lot in this format unless i have something to accelerate me

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
in my experience, red is the worst color in this format. aside from some soft removal and a couple beaters, red commons are not very good, unlike black, blue or white commons, and a good number of green too.
Therefore, i try to avoid it, unless i start getting passed the good rares/uncommons late. the drum is a good fixer/accelerator and allows me to stay open.
My experience with born of the gods is that red went from the worst color to draft to one of the best if you can get your hands on the right cards in the btg booster(bolt of keranos, everflame eidolon, kragma butcher for example from the pack 1 in that draft). The biggest problem is that too often many people jump on that bandwagon and you end up fighting for the few scraps of good red cards that you can get in the theros boosters.
i wasn't sure about that, and when in doubt, i go for faster, cheaper cards in this format. might as well be a mistake. i already had 2 5cc cards and i don't like stuff that costs a lot in this format unless i have something to accelerate me

I would say that you are probably right as you did pick up some very good bombs before that(nemesis, polis crusher, nessian asp), still the giant is a great finisher when the game stalls, because you can basically force your huge ass bombs for lethal when you monstrous it. The problem with acroan crusader in my opinion is that its a dead draw in anything else but your opening hand.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
My experience with born of the gods is that red went from the worst color to draft to one of the best if you can get your hands on the right cards in the btg booster(bolt of keranos, everflame eidolon, kragma butcher for example from the pack 1 in that draft). The biggest problem is that too often many people jump on that bandwagon and you end up fighting for the few scraps of good red cards that you can get in the theros boosters.

I would say that you are probably right as you did pick up some very good bombs before that(nemesis, polis crusher, nessian asp), still the giant is a great finisher when the game stalls, because you can basically force your huge ass bombs for lethal when you monstrous it. The problem with acroan crusader in my opinion is that its a dead draw in anything else but your opening hand.

as i said, probably a mistake
i'm very happy to pick 5 and 6ccs in m14, i really dislike it in theros
i don't have a specific reason why

edit
oh and btw
(bolt of keranos, everflame eidolon, kragma butcher)

i consider bolt of keranos borderline playable (at sorcery speed, it's not really a trick. it should cost 2 or be an instant to be good) and the butcher to be overrated. the eidolon is ok

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
this was probably the easiest 3-0 in history

i literally kept being passed bomb after bomb after bomb

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=9bxd8

game 3 was over in 7 minutes
2yzeh5k.jpg

3 boosters and a pain seer to sell (already got 4, probably my favorite card in standard right now)

23ijmah.jpg

Last edited:

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
2 gorgons and 2 shipwreck singers wow... only thing missing was a grey merchant or 3. Awesome draft btw grats for the win.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Ok lets contribute something:
http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=9gn49#all

I just went 3-0 with the deck I built from that draft.

I definitely made some questionable picks and I was thinking about switching to blue the whole first booster, but in the end I was very happy with how the deck turned out.

I'm getting an error when I try to upload the decklist to raredraft so here's the list:
1 Archetype of Courage
1 Fearsome Temper
1 Kragma Butcher
1 Bolt of Keranos
1 Vanguard of Brimaz
1 Excoriate
1 Observant Alseid
1 Lightning Strike
2 Dauntless Onslaught
1 Two-Headed Cerberus
1 Minotaur Skullcleaver
1 Traveling Philosopher
1 Satyr Rambler
1 Ordeal of Purphoros
1 Phalanx Leader
1 Divine Verdict
1 Stoneshock Giant
1 Borderland Minotaur
2 Heliod's Emissary
1 Leonin Snarecaster
9 Plains
8 Mountain
1 Cavalry Pegasus

Sweet sweet victory:
Xxehdbu.png

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Pack 2 and 3 shows you must be just about the only person at the table draftin' the best deck in the format. I more or less agree with your picks. Why not Deathbellow instead of the Cerberus, though? At this point, your deck can pretty much support it, especially with stuff like Elmer backing you up.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
1.1 generally, skyguard is considered to be a better card. archetype is good, but it's a pretty defensive card whereas white wants to play agressively in this format (unless we're talking BW).

1.5 loyal pegasus, probably. yeah, rollicker is bestow, but it's the weakest kind of bestow that there is.

3.5 borderland is too early here - you usually pick them 9+. not many great alternatives, of course, mb elder?

Non-online fag here, been hanging out with some old friends and spent some time during the past week observing people at local tourneys/pre-going out magic games among bros.

Rediscovered one of my old Darksteel decks. Hot damn, those things worked very neatly.

On another note, every faggot I've seen playing has at least one green-black deck with at least 3 deathfire shamans and spinning top cheesing techniques.

Then there's people with decks full of stacked Legacy shit and Wasteland and FUCK YOU full blown removal that I felt like grabbing both of them and smashing their heads repeatedly on the table. What the fuck is Wizard thinking?

It's like someone combined red Burn decks with blue Mage/removal-cancer to break your mind and have you flee blindly into the wilderness while projectile voming uncontrollably.

This almost made me nostalgic for Legend of the 5 Rings

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
1.1 generally, skyguard is considered to be a better card. archetype is good, but it's a pretty defensive card whereas white wants to play agressively in this format (unless we're talking BW).

i disagree, 3 for a 2/2 first striker that gives first strike to all your creatures is powerful on the attack as well. it seriously screws up your opponents offensive and defensive plans and scream "REMOVE ME" as loud as possible, saving your flyers/heroes.

edit
pretty much agree on every other pick, the pegasus thing i don't know, bestowing is always more powerful if you pick up a decent heroic creature...

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
btw, today i decided to shoot up a draft and that i would try to force blue black

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=9j7pl

14vu58h.jpg

i would like to clarify that i'm a bad player, so the fact that i'm going 3-0 so often lends credence to my theory that swiss players are way worse players than 4-3-2-2 players

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech

1.5 loyal pegasus, probably. yeah, rollicker is bestow, but it's the weakest kind of bestow that there is.

3.5 borderland is too early here - you usually pick them 9+. not many great alternatives, of course, mb elder?

Pretty much what idonthavetimeforthiscrap said about the archetype, plus an added bonus is that its a human and when you attack with the cavalry pegasus it gets flying hurrr :troll:

I consider the loyal pegasus to be a horrible card, you have to have it in your starting hand and it starts attacking on turn 3.. anywhere else its just a dead draw, not that the nyxborn rollicker is better, but at least it works better with heroic. Still I picked up both of them I think, but didn't played them.

My primary reason for picking the borderland over the elder was because I had like 15 3cmc spells and only the 2 elmers on 4.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
btw, today i decided to shoot up a draft and that i would try to force blue black

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=9j7pl

14vu58h.jpg

i would like to clarify that i'm a bad player, so the fact that i'm going 3-0 so often lends credence to my theory that swiss players are way worse players than 4-3-2-2 players
Sweet, just one thing p3p2 why the omenspeaker over the emissary?

EDIT: I tried forcing blue black at a draft at my local store yesterday... it didn't went that well. There were like 5 people drafting black in the pod...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think I've moved out of the pants-on-head-retarded magic player category now. Just won and 2-1'ed two 8-4's with what felt like solid but low-key decks rather than lucky bombing or somesuch. Can anyone give me a noob-guide on how to post my drafts most easily so you guys can tell me I suck and give my picks some criticism? :)

(also, is it just me or does Setessan Starbreaker overperform more often than not? still not a great card, but it's definetely not a dud)

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
I think I've moved out of the pants-on-head-retarded magic player category now. Just won and 2-1'ed two 8-4's with what felt like solid but low-key decks rather than lucky bombing or somesuch. Can anyone give me a noob-guide on how to post my drafts most easily so you guys can tell me I suck and give my picks some criticism? :)

(also, is it just me or does Setessan Starbreaker overperform more often than not? still not a great card, but it's definetely not a dud)

i think that raredraft does a good job, you register a google alternate account in 1 minute and simply upload the .txt file of the draft
starbreaker is a card you can play 2-of and never be disappointed about it, should cost 3 or have flash though

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Sweet, just one thing p3p2 why the omenspeaker over the emissary?

no idea

edit
oh i see now
i don't like the emissary
it's card disadvantage without any evasion, a 6cc enchant creature that is only good if you're already winning
i automatically ignore it unless i'm planning on picking up come reanimation effect, and even then...
i thought i didn't pick a blue emissary without realizing it or something
no, the black emissary is one of my least favorite cards

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

i think that raredraft does a good job, you register a google alternate account in 1 minute and simply upload the .txt file of the draft
starbreaker is a card you can play 2-of and never be disappointed about it, should cost 3 or have flash though

Hmm. I don't have a Games/Magic The Gathering Online folder. Is there a setting you have to turn on to make the client save the .txts?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron

Hmm. I don't have a Games/Magic The Gathering Online folder. Is there a setting you have to turn on to make the client save the .txts?
hmm yes, there's an option somewhere but i can't remember where
should be easy to spot thought because it requires a path to save the .txt file somewhere

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom