Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Might & Magic X: Legacy

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Good point, especially since OCD players can do it anyway by waiting a long time for the enemy respawns.
I thought the respawning was a bug caused by the Beacon spell? Or was that a completely separate issue?
I read somewhere in the main MMX thread that enemies respawn after 200 days, but I couldn't find any outside source when I trying to google the question, so I guess it was just a rumor.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Aww, I like you too, Sceptic. :oops:
(Even though you like that piece of shit Mass Effect 1.) :troll:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
what I understood from reading some internet posts about using Beacon then coming back to find a lot of enemies were back, and other people (I think you were one of them?) having problems with getting stuck in combat and being unable to do anything anymore.

Those must be two separate problems then.

What happened when the game bugged out on me was: I partially cleared an area, teleported to a town to sell off the loot and went back to finish the job. But when I stepped out of a gate I found out I was stuck in a combat with no enemies in sight. Luckily some people suggested to go back to the area I teleported from and kill everything in sight. I did precisely that and found out the monsters I killed before respawned and the area is blacked out on a minimap, as if though I'm going through it for the first time.

But the second respawn type worked exactly as in the 6-8 - the whole world simply repopulated which seems to be a legitimate mechanics and not a bug. Unfortunately I don't remember how long it took since the game began but I think it was longer than 200 days. I usually loiter about in my games and almost always run into the repopulation mechanics, even in 7 and 8 (is it really 2 years? Jesus.)

Objectively it's a terrible game, oversimplified, uninspired and boring. Some people might enjoy it. But GTFO with your apologetic bullshit codex, "Good for what it is", "Best try in the last 10 years", "No one expected this from Ubisoft". Especially last one, fuck off with that shit, if you got played by marketing 101 stop trying to drag everyone else in it too.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oversimplified? - I suggest you play on the "Hard" difficulty setting. Depending on the party mix it is a challenging game (=you have to use a lot of combat tactics, spells and party planning) at least up to level 18-20.
It gets only a little easier in the last part of the game.

Boring? - High quest density, lots of books and background info, decent story - who needs more for a dungeon crawler?

Uninspired? - I think a lot of references to the old Might & Magic series and the current HOMM-franchise are built into the game. MM 9 was uninspired, but not this one.

But yeah, objectively it's a terrible game ... try better.

Lhynn

Arcane
I had fun playing this game, but it was inbetween loading a saved game or a location. Its not bad at all, but its just so fucking clunky.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Boring? - High quest density, lots of books and background info, decent story - who needs more for a dungeon crawler?
:lol:

That one got me, but the entire post is the key to understanding MMX apologists

Yep, we MMX apologists are satisfied with games
a) that don't have any kind of romancing or psychoanalytical party conversation
b) that don't feature an Awesome Button
c) that don't have an epic story

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
b) that don't feature an Awesome Button

Au contraire, mein Herr, MMX is all about the continuous pressing of awesome buttons. It's like the Dawn of War 2 of RPGs.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
But GTFO with your apologetic bullshit codex, "Good for what it is", "Best try in the last 10 years", "No one expected this from Ubisoft".
MMX is a very average game, but at least the middle one makes perfect sense in its case. It is the first retail, non-indie, tb dungeon crawler in over a decade, and whether you like it or not it makes it a pretty big thing for someone who likes crpgs.

Eyeball

Arcane
Yeah, it's fucking shit. Good thing the Codex has REAL hardcore RPGs made by established RPG studios to gush over. Like South Park: TSOT.

In other news, MM10 blows all other RPGs of the last year out of the Water. So stop trying so hard to be KKKool and just play the motherfucking thing.

But GTFO with your apologetic bullshit codex, "Good for what it is", "Best try in the last 10 years", "No one expected this from Ubisoft".
MMX is a very average game, but at least the middle one makes perfect sense in its case. It is the first retail, non-indie, tb dungeon crawler in over a decade, and whether you like it or not it makes it a pretty big thing for someone who likes crpgs.

With inferior mechanics, combat and dungeon design. So what if it's retail ? It brings nothing good or new to the table, nothing.

Oversimplified? - I suggest you play on the "Hard" difficulty setting. Depending on the party mix it is a challenging game (=you have to use a lot of combat tactics, spells and party planning) at least up to level 18-20.
It gets only a little easier in the last part of the game.

Oversimplified =/= easy, it doesn't have anything to do with difficulty. Even a simple game can be very challenging (super meat boy and such). Mechanics however, combat and dungeon design do. Combat is just a TB whack-a-mole, no formations, no kiting, no nothing, just pre-buff and go shank someone with occasional CC or debuff. Mechanics are just flat % increases, banal, shit, boring. Regarding dungeon design - think first few levels of DOOM. Combat is at fault here too though, no matter how intricate (for the sake of argument let's imagine they actually tried) dungeon can be, all mobs can do is surround you, which just doubles the number of active NPCS in a battle, that's it.

:dead:

Uninspired? - I think a lot of references to the old Might & Magic series and the current HOMM-franchise are built into the game. MM 9 was uninspired, but not this one.

This is just an overkill, current HOMM franchise ? really ? Have you even seen HOMM 6 ? It's exactly what an unspiried game looks like.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is only true if you ignore Japanese games.

Lhynn

Arcane
I'm not your mate, buddy.
Im not your buddy, mate.
You are simply wrong in all your statements, trying too hard to be an edgy fucker and being called out on everything you said should be enough to shut your stupid mouth.
Also saying that kiting is good in combat? man, go fuck yourself. It adds nothing. in the way it is in the game right now at least it forces you to think about positioning before the battle, useful in some battles. Go back to playing the legend of grimrock son, i heard you can dance quite well there.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
This is only true if you ignore Japanese games.
I've ignored them up to now, so I guess that makes it true for me :smug:

Turjan

Arcane
6 overdid it a bit IMO, 6 months for outdoors was a bit much; 7-8 were fine, 2 in-game years is a LONG time and I never saw any respawning in these two.

I was fine with this distinction in M&M 6. 24 months for the more secure, central districts, 8 months for the intermediate ones and 6 months for the fringe was about right.

Turjan

Arcane
Yeah, it's fucking shit. Good thing the Codex has REAL hardcore RPGs made by established RPG studios to gush over. Like South Park: TSOT.

In other news, MM10 blows all other RPGs of the last year out of the Water. So stop trying so hard to be KKKool and just play the motherfucking thing.

Indeed. Much of the criticism you see in this thread boils down to the point that Might & Magic is no Wizardry, in the sense that Might & Magic games try to be Wizardries but fail at it. Sounds legit.

I'm one of those people who are glad that Might & Magic games are no Wizardry games. I really like the former and don't really care for the latter. Both series scratch different itches. If you want a new Wizardry game, please convince someone to make one. I for one am happy for a new Might & Magic, even if I miss the free roaming. I'm not far enough in the game yet to give a final verdict, but what I have seen so far already has a strong nostalgia vibe. That review sounds promising. Thanks for that.

Dorateen

Arcane
That's an interesting contrast between Might & Magic and Wizardry. I'm aware of the motorcycle/tricycle meme, and of course Wizardry's mechanics are more intricate and hardcore. That's why I place Crusaders of the Dark Savant as one of the paramount computer role-playing games. But to me, the two franchises are not so dissimilar, and I find them cast from the same mold. Kindred spirits. They are both on the same side of what is right, and shouldn't be opposed to each other. We know who the real enemy is.

And yes, Legacy has a lot going for it that appeals to people who have experienced the entire span of Might & Magic sagas.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Why are so many people trying to be skyway? There will only ever be one, no matter how hard you faggots try.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Truly if you don't like Might & Magic™ X: Legacy there is something very wrong with you

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom