Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project GODUS, the ultimate Peter Molyneux fiasco

So it's pretty much Star Citizen aimed at people who are even in an deeper state of denial?

:troll:

Mortmal

Arcane
Deeper state of denial i dont know, there's still people happy to buy syndicate expansion on GOG, i am not the only one who remember the greatness of bullfrog. I always thought the decline was microsoft fault , i knew for sure(a friend working there) the guys of lionhead were caring about gaming black and white was still quite good .Now its clear the team doing godus has no clue on what to do , like hobo say it better, and that molyneux is likely playing call of duty all day and supervizing that from afar. Anyway its cheaper than star citizen , i wasted not a big amount into this.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Latest patches have lessened the clicking and the game feels better, the combat have been balanced and from my limited experience it was hilarious in a molyneux way to finger enemy people and throw them around setting everything on fire.

If the game will head in this direction by the time of release it will be actualy GUD, right now it starts to resemble old populous, we'll see.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
So, this is like 9 euros on Steam. Is the game still shit?

What part of "Peter Molyneaus brings us-" you didn't understand? Guy is a hack and anything with his name on it is shit. It may be interesting shit at times but it is a shit at the end of the day.
Dungeon Keeper is shit?

Peter used to be a game developer until he took an arrow in the knee back in '99. Now he's just a tawdry pimp slathering makeup on pox-ridden gimmicks tarted up as games.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I got this game from a friend... And well... no its not worth 9 euro... it play like a cow clicker phone game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Some very exciting news today!

First off, Godus will NOT feature a free-to-play model:

Veteran game developer Peter Molyneux has detailed how he hopes to change the face of free-to-play with his forthcoming god sim Godus.

"What we need is a new term," he says in a PocketGamer interview. "And that term is more like 'invest-to-play'. What really are we doing? We are tempting people to invest some of their money into a game."

Godus will purportedly contain a form of monetisation that hasn't existed before, with Molyneux saying that the current model of encouraging players to speed things up by spending money is "absolutely insane." Instead, he wants to "tempt people to think about being proud about investing. Before we even talk about monetisation, we want players to feel like Godus is a hobby (not just a game)."

Secondly, the game's incompetent community manager has finally been "resigned", i.e. fired:

It's not easy writing this message to you, our Steam community especially with everything that's going on right now. It wasn't easy writing a similar message to the entire team either. I'll keep it simple: it's with great regret that I have handed in my resignation at 22cans. It wasn't an easy decision and I love the guys on the team.

He was noteable for his complete failure to provide any information about the game's future development and for being utterly clueless about the payment model. Hopefully the new CM will clear house.

Angthoron

Arcane
Some very exciting news today!

First off, Godus will NOT feature a free-to-play model:

Veteran game developer Peter Molyneux has detailed how he hopes to change the face of free-to-play with his forthcoming god sim Godus.

"What we need is a new term," he says in a PocketGamer interview. "And that term is more like 'invest-to-play'. What really are we doing? We are tempting people to invest some of their money into a game."

Godus will purportedly contain a form of monetisation that hasn't existed before, with Molyneux saying that the current model of encouraging players to speed things up by spending money is "absolutely insane." Instead, he wants to "tempt people to think about being proud about investing. Before we even talk about monetisation, we want players to feel like Godus is a hobby (not just a game)."

Fuck you, Petey, Train Simulator 201X has gotten there way before you.

Psquit

Arcane
Hahaha... what a train wreck.

Remember when moly hype that kinect pedo simulator?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Didn't take long until Mollynöx had to stick his monetization-scheming dick in this pie as well. I thought the game looked like garbage from the get-go, but this kind of talk really kills it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hilarious. They said there would be no monetization when people complained when it first went up for sale on Steam. Now they have money they're saying 'fuck it.'

Drax

Arcane
What the fuck is this shit?
What happened to just FUCKING PLAYING A GAME?
STOP TRYING TO PUT A FUCKING DOLLAR SIGN ON EVERY MOUSECLICK YOU FUCKING BALD COCKSUCKER!

What the hell "investing" clusterfuck of arrrghh.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

my-head-hurts.jpg

I-I don't know what to say. I was fan of Molyneux, liked Fable 1, B&W and everything before that. B-But this is just insane. Why can't you just make a game Peter, instead of inventing terms, and talking retarded things like Godus is a hobby, not just the game? Poiticans can't make up so much shit. God sees my soul, the guy needs medical attention.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Godus is barely a game at this stage. It's a complete mess. Design is fucking everywhere and there's no coherency to anything. And this was the state it was patched in many months ago after they had promised to update the game once a month. They went completely silent after the last patch and I highly doubt that they can improve on the game. The design is so fucking stupid that I have no hope for any intelligence to come from 22cans.

Mortmal

Arcane
At least when you are playing facebook games you know upfront what they are for . Godus was a scam a bait and switch, stealing old fans money. I just read the main programmer of theme park sold his company to google for millions , guess molyneux had a very talented team , bullfrog was great despite him.

Garm

Learned
Why are some people surprised about how this has turned out? People need to get their heads out of their asses and just immediately walk away when you learn that Molyneaux is involved in a game. It's going to be shit and won't deliver on any of its promises. Seriously, how fucking stupid can people be? The man has literally done this for over a decade now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/12/godus-terrible/

The Abysmal Godus Is No Longer Abysmal, APPARENTLY
By Alec Meer on March 12th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Peter Molyneux and 22 Cans’ intended Populous heir Godus is the most miserable gaming experience I’ve had in many a year. It was so crushingly short on joy and cleverness, it seemed like a tech demo made without a design, it seemed to believe Farmville was gaming’s future, it was a betrayal of its own heritage, and it was an insult to all that had been promised. I struggled to find anything to convince me that it existed for any reason beyond making money. As an angry young man, I loathed games often. These days, I simply feel sadness and tiredness when I play a game I don’t enjoy. But Godus I loathed, and completely so. There should be no surprise, by now, at unmet promises, but the sheer scale of the oath-breaking here was breathtaking.

Now there is Godus 2.0. There are apologies. There are promises. There is talk of it being an almost ground-up rethink. It may very well be true. But there’s no way I’m taking any of that at face value.

There are claims like “almost no clicking” and “it feels delightful.” There is this: “The game you had before is nothing like the game you’re going to get now.” Maybe so. But there are so many other games I need to play which weren’t at any stage appalling. Godus doesn’t deserve a second chance as far as I’m concerned. I shall await positive or negative buzz before I even consider returning to it.

At any rate, Peter Molyneux and co have just now broken cover after going dark since Octoberish, revealing sweeping changes for Godus. This was done via a video, in order that we can see and hear all the earnestness and sincerity. So here are some 22 Cans staff – including their infamous Teller Of Tales – apologising for the ‘first’ version of the game, apologising for radio silence for the last half-year, and presenting their new vision for their hitherto goddamned terrible god game.

There is, to my mind, too much implied self-congratulation in there. The click-frenzy of the earlier versions suggested a bewildering lack of awareness of what had actually been made, so it seems impossible to trust (surely premature) claims that it feels so darn wonderful now. This is the British games industry’s own Ford Nation. I wonder if we’ll ever hear the true story of what happened, and who was really responsible for Godus’ most grevious failings.

If you’d rather read than watch, this is why 2.0 isn’t just a patch, apparently:

“We needed to make it because of the feedback we got from you – that it was a click-fest, that you didn’t really know what you were doing or why you were doing it, that there wasn’t enough variation in gameplay, not many people were playing the story, not many people were playing multiplayer. So we went back to the drawing board on the foundations of our features. The reason we did that is that we really truly want to make a great game.”

All of this may well be true. Certainly, it’s far better that they’re now acknowledging Godus 1 was a disaster than pretending all was well. I suppose it also a good thing that the crowdfunding, post-publisher age means a woeful game need not remain a woeful game, that it can adjust to the feedback of its players rather than just be put out, left to die and its entire genre or subject matter deemed too non-commercial. It is a good thing that this update is free to everyone who has been unfortunate enough to have backed or bought the game to date.

I am, sort of, glad this has happened. Even so, there’s no way I’m touching this with even my least-favoured barge pole (I have a sizeable collection, you know) until I hear at least some third-party chatter that we’re not having our collective leg pulled again. There are so very many other games, and life is so very short.

If you have a more forgiving and open-minded heart than my shrivelled, bitter one, the 2.0 update is available now, via Steam Early Access.

Delterius

Arcane
So, the Hall of Fame of Developers Who Actually Had to Apologize For Their Game is:

Peter Molyneux (Godus)
SquareEnix (Final Fantasy XIV)
BioWare (Artistic Integrity)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom