Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DayZ, a zombie mod for ArmA2 - Now standalone on Steam Early Access

9) After some uneventful looting, log in geared up with pretty much nothing but a mosin nagant and some ammo for it in the Camo building at Balota airfield. Walk out, look up the stairs and see a dude with an M4 aiming down at me... instinctively let out a shot, miss. Second shot is just a click. Strangely, he doesn't shoot me - I run away saying "I'M SORRY MAN I GOT SCARED I WON'T SHOOT YOU" over voice chat. I reload my mosin, come back, the guy has now lowered his gun... I line up a perfect headshot and kill him.

I feel terrible. I apologize instantly, hoping he hasn't respawned yet and can hear.

Sounds like the most schizophrenic confrontation of all time.

ltj9ER.jpg
They see you! Run...RUN! I'm sorry!

SoupNazi

Just like 30 minutes ago, I saw three bandits shooting newspawns from Elektro industrial / firestation. I get over there and kill them all with some help from the surrounding bushes and hills. Whole engagement took about 20 minutes, one of the guys jumped down the roof trying to dodge my fire.

CFE5D9D6DB8A10D3629C4CE03523D3589D4C2C4C

Girl bandit and one of their victims.

E603453CB15AAF7BF3114DA065396477E087AEB5

So, once it's done, I loot all their bodies for some more ammo and then hide them so that they can't grab their weapons back, or worse, some other bandits taking their weapons.

I walk out of the complex like a hero, and instantly get headshot by a mosin. FML

SoupNazi

Sounds like an awesome time! :)

It's quite strange that you meet so many people who shoot on sight. On german servers it's more the norm to atleast try to talk to each other. If I see someone with a ready weapon in hands already I shoot though. I btw. like the Mosin Nagant more than the M4. Then again I am not the kind of spray and pray guy. Always have the Magnum as my sidearm.
Oh, and you do can hear when people log in. If you have a weapon in your inventory, upon spawning others will hear the reloading animation.
I also prefer the Mosin to the M4, but somehow I find it easier to find the M4. I always go the usual places (school, construction site, small red houses, big blue houses, barns) where I know the Mosin should spawn but the only way I have gotten it so far is either server hopping (which I don't like doing) or taking them off dead people. Never found the Mosin just as loot.

And yeah I know, although sometimes I am fairly sure it bugs out as there have been many times where my own spawning sound looped when there definitely was nobody else around (like an empty server).

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Sounds like an awesome time! :)

It's quite strange that you meet so many people who shoot on sight. On german servers it's more the norm to atleast try to talk to each other. If I see someone with a ready weapon in hands already I shoot though. I btw. like the Mosin Nagant more than the M4. Then again I am not the kind of spray and pray guy. Always have the Magnum as my sidearm.
Oh, and you do can hear when people log in. If you have a weapon in your inventory, upon spawning others will hear the reloading animation.
I also prefer the Mosin to the M4, but somehow I find it easier to find the M4. I always go the usual places (school, construction site, small red houses, big blue houses, barns) where I know the Mosin should spawn but the only way I have gotten it so far is either server hopping (which I don't like doing) or taking them off dead people. Never found the Mosin just as loot.

And yeah I know, although sometimes I am fairly sure it bugs out as there have been many times where my own spawning sound looped when there definitely was nobody else around (like an empty server).

The mosin often spawns on top of bureau buildings, or inside them, on second floor. It sometimes glitches through a wall there so you dont see the whole body of it. ;) Also beware if you want to try out spraying your mosin in a different color, if you do this, you have to manually reload and chamber the bullet through inventory everytime you fire a shot.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
New patch brought lots of cool stuff.

Also, has there been weather like this before in the standalone? First time I am seeing this:

1024x640.resizedimage

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I played for the first time since mid-January this week and I'm actually impressed with how much it has progressed. Zombie and loot spawn are still broken as fuck, but there's a lot of new stuff to see and do. It's pretty smart that you don't spawn further than Elektro any longer. All the good stuff was on the west side of the map anyway.

We held up players in Elektro the other night. Made them sing and dance for us before we sent them back on their way again. Have also been held up more often than just shot on sight, which is a nice change of pace.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Dean Hall is abandoning ship:

Dean Hall Will Leave DayZ Dev Bohemia By Year's End
Adam Gauntlett | 24 February 2014 1:16 pm

656055.jpg

"I am a grenade," says Hall, and grenades aren't useful things to keep, long-term.

"I have a specific use. I'm really good at risk-taking and making other people take risks," says Bohemia's Dean Hall, the man who gave us DayZ. "I can talk people up to the ledge and get them to jump off it. That's what I did with DayZ ... But eventually, that's the bad person to have." So by the end of this year, Hall will leave Bohemia, shake the DayZ leadership role, and move on to new challenges.

Besides, Hall argues, he never intended to stay this long. His Bohemia stint was supposed to be a brief break in his army career, not some kind of alternate lifestyle. He doesn't see himself as the sort of leader DayZ needs, long-term. That doesn't mean he's going to leave it half-done, but it does mean he's looking at the exit and wondering how much longer Bohemia will need him.

The way he tells it, he was supposed to go much earlier than this, but decided it would be unfair to the DayZ community to bail. He admits that, even if Bohemia kept him on in a lesser role, he wouldn't be able to keep his hands off the zombies, so it's better if he goes. But in a sense it doesn't matter whether he goes or not; he'll still keep some ties to DayZ. There's no way he could completely sever all links to the community, or the game.

So what happens next? Well it's back to New Zealand for Hall, and more game development, this time as the boss of his own studio. He wants to chase the perfect survival multiplayer experience. DayZ's great, but he knows it's flawed; he wants perfection. That won't happen right away, as he still has commitments to Bohemia. But it will happen, and sooner rather than later. It's time he was his own boss.

"And, you know, I miss home."

Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...-Dev-Bohemia-By-Years-End#ubbfKMPo89YjeK5y.99

SoupNazi

He always said he would do this, it's far from "abandoning ship". He was the driver of the initial idea and atmosphere of the game, but it's pointless for him to stay on board while they're merely adding/fixing new features and making the game into well, a game. He's much better at introducing new ideas, Hall is the start-upper not the developer. No point in him spending time on getting more weapons implemented.

I much prefer him moving on to new exciting projects rather than going the Minecraft route of adding pointless shit to an already complex game.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I too am indifferent to this. As long as they keep working on the game it's fine for me :)

WhiteGuts

Arcane
There is no drama in this. Once Day Z is officially launched he has nothing more to add to the project. I'm really looking forward to his next project.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
If the game launches and the zombies are an actual threat and don't run straight through walls anymore I might give this a go.

Plus I do hope for some actual content beyond surviving, getting geared up and then becoming so bored that either hunting newbs or bandits is all that's left to do.

Garm

Learned
It looks like to me that Rocket is going to bail out. I still don't think this game will be finished this year. Remember the bullshit about how standalone would be done by August and it took like 6 months later for them to have an alpha?

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Nice Virgin stories, if I could only relive those days.

DayZ about two years ago was one of my most super duper favourite gaming experiences ever. It's nice to see you go through that, I like the posts.

Some of my CDS pals are burnt in blood because of those times, I'm still waiting for someone else to talk to me.

Enjoy, live it and have fun.

After you get burned out on it you'll have some expierence so I suggest you go to:/forums.unitedoperations.net

Keep your mouth shut, follow your fireteam lead, check your weapon and use any tutorial you can find.

(Old DayZ)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0MwXE06rv

Last edited:
Is there a way to limit fps in this game ?

I'm asking because apparently it's a thing with Alpha/EA games and shit console ports these days, fucking Rust almost fried my GPU

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
What SoupNazi said,

the game runs on lower spec computers too, I play with a friend who has a very shitty rig and it never overheats or anything. There are enough settings to tweak to your liking

revealer

Augur
Do you guys think this game would work as well if it was placed in an medieval setting? Maybe mash in a few skills to level up etc.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Can't be any less creative than a modern day setting. However, everything I've seen of melee in DayZ is absolute shit. Presumably, that would have to change for a medieval setting to be at all acceptable.

thesoup

Arcane
:necro:

Well I got this game from a friend the other day.
Impressions:
A nice bunch of shit has been added such as crafting and a ton of gear, both of which are very nice. A bunch of gear, mostly military stuff, was removed or made very scarce, probably to make it less CoD-ish and more in line with the setting. Framerate and melee are still utter shit. I also like the overhauled comfort stuff like warmth, hunger and a bunch of other stuff.
Also, you can eat human meat now, which can only be a huge incline.
Another great plus is that the map has been expanded roughly 20% in size ( http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus check it out) and some stuff has also been a bit expanded, like hospitals, and there's many, many, many more houses you can enter.
Basically, it still feels like the mod, but with some little overhauls and addons that are welcome.
Zombies are still shit, though. They are a bit different in the sense that they don't really come in such huge horde-ish numbers as before, probably for better server performance.
Naturally, there's way more servers that allow turd person than those that don't, but it's not surprising since most people are casuals who want to play dress up with zombies. The 1st person only servers are there and not hard to find.
I'll post some screenies if I remember to take any.

So tl;dr it's still fun I guess.
Menckenstein CreamyBlood poocolator

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom