Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News South Park: The Stick of Truth goes gold, gets 13 minute gameplay video and glowing previews

Duraframe300

Arcane
What abilities?

And why do they have to reference the used weapon?

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
That's his normal hair
yes. that's his normal hair arranged in an emo haircut that hides his receding hair, as i was saying.
matt1.png

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
It looks a little low-interactivity, plus I don't like how the "abilities" apparently function without reference to the weapon you're using. It's sort of a Diablo 3-style lameness.
Yeah, my overall impression of the combat is leaving me disappointed, especially considering the fact that Obsidian is behind it. However, if you look at this from Obsidian's point of view, the gameplay only needs to be competent and bug-free to make this a grand-fuck-slam. The game itself looks and sounds like a South Park episode, with Trey and Matt's fingerprints all over the god damned thing. There really is no reason to try and craft a deep and intricate combat mechanic.
the combat is standard paper mario including out of battle abilities like the ball throwing or farts, which is playing it pretty safe since most people enjoyed that.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
What abilities?

And why do they have to reference the used weapon?
It's just boring to have combat be dominated by generic abilities (the things called "abilities" in the "abilities" menu of the game). It's more interesting when the abilities interact with your loadout, because then your character is more than just his class.

Anubioz

Novice
It's more interesting when the abilities interact with your loadout, because then your character is more than just his class.

I think you've played Path of Exile too much, try something more casual, like D3...

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
It looks a little low-interactivity, plus I don't like how the "abilities" apparently function without reference to the weapon you're using. It's sort of a Diablo 3-style lameness.
Yeah, my overall impression of the combat is leaving me disappointed, especially considering the fact that Obsidian is behind it. However, if you look at this from Obsidian's point of view, the gameplay only needs to be competent and bug-free to make this a grand-fuck-slam. The game itself looks and sounds like a South Park episode, with Trey and Matt's fingerprints all over the god damned thing. There really is no reason to try and craft a deep and intricate combat mechanic.
the combat is standard paper mario including out of battle abilities like the ball throwing or farts, which is playing it pretty safe since most people enjoyed that.
I know, and I'm still going to play it because I'm a southparkfag, and I'm sure it'll be enjoyable regardless, but I'm just a little disappoint. I'm also wondering if the baseball bat ability's damage output will be affected by the equiped weapon, and if so, why? I realize that this is an absolutely retarded question about a game about larping children using farts as weapons, but I can't help when my brain spurgs about things. I'm also uncomfortable with class-specific weapons.

I'm sure it'll be fine and I'm just being a panicky pete.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
that depends on whether it's an ability that scales with attack or with magic. if the former, it should scale with your equipped weapons if all they did was port the jrpg system without tweaking :M

Duraframe300

Arcane
Abilities have their own upgrades. There's an achievement for fully upgrading one of your abilities. Weapon damage is influenced by *strap-ons*. Allowing you to add different damage types.

Perks are in as well though I don't know what you can choose at level-up.

So, I'd say it is a bit more involved than Paper Mario.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Gay jokes and animations of dancing shit just doesn't do it for me.

I haven't seen a whole lot of South Park, but to me it always seemed to be more about commentary/satire on pop culture phenomena and contemporary events (where Cartman often represents the ignorant and/or opportunist "common man"). I think it's quite apt sometimes. But sometimes it's just hilariously bizarre.

What you are describing I always felt were the worst parts of South Park, and I've mostly seen it in earlier episodes.

Monty

Arcane

I haven't seen a whole lot of South Park, but to me it always seemed to be more about commentary/satire on pop culture phenomena and contemporary events (where Cartman often represents the ignorant and/or opportunist "common man"). I think it's quite apt sometimes. But sometimes it's just hilariously bizarre.

I haven't seen a South Park episode in many years, but still remember episodes like 'Tom Cruise in the closet'. How many tv shows got away with doing stuff like that? To me this was a level above most 'gay jokes'. I liked the way they felt free to tackle just about any subject.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I have to admit the game looks much better than I expected. I'm a South Park fan, so I was likely to buy this eventually anyway, but if it's as funny as the trailers then I might just have to D1P. :)

So utterly bland and generic gameplay elements tacked onto what the Derp Park duo could've pretty much done in a three-part storyline? Fucking jews.

SIGN ME UP BROS

Deleted member 7219

I haven't seen a South Park episode in many years, but still remember episodes like 'Tom Cruise in the closet'. How many tv shows got away with doing stuff like that? To me this was a level above most 'gay jokes'. I liked the way they felt free to tackle just about any subject.

They still do good episodes occasionally so it is worth catching up on. Personally I think South Park has been better in the past ten years than it was when it started. It's always been hit and miss, and every season has at least 3 episodes of complete and utter dreck, but there is still greatness to be found - usually, the episodes when the kids play dress up or go off 'on an adventure', and this basically looks like an entire game with that as the premise. I'm sold.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Haha, that joke about turn-based combat could have been written specifically for the Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom