Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Goddamn Batman: Arkham Origins

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think it's clear most video game producers are bad at their jobs.

Vibalist

Arcane
So what's the official Kodex Konsensus on this? I've heard the combat system works poorly compared to the two earlier titles (something to do with blocking being the only viable thing to do as the goons can hit you from very far away), that the story is meh and that it has wierd glitches and using the grapnel thingy sometimes doesn't work as it should. Still worth picking up?

DeepOcean

Arcane
So what's the official Kodex Konsensus on this? I've heard the combat system works poorly compared to the two earlier titles (something to do with blocking being the only viable thing to do as the goons can hit you from very far away), that the story is meh and that it has wierd glitches and using the grapnel thingy sometimes doesn't work as it should. Still worth picking up?
Shoddy, buggy and marketing driven rerash of Arkham city. If you loved Batman just beating the crap of everybody without effort, there are some more but instead of the interesting villains you get the B cast, the type Marvel use to pad out their comic books series. If for some reason, you really want to know Bane, Firefly, Eletrocutioner, Black Mask, Copper head, Deadshot and company, you might like it. The story is a piece of trash worse than Arkham City that wasn't good either:
In the end, Black Mask is just an idiot and guess the big secret? Who do you think is the really big baddy? Guess who?
Is it the Riddler? No. That would require creativity.
Is it the Penguin? No. That isn't good enough to marketing material.
Is it Two Face? No. That would be too interesting.
Is it the Scare Crow? No. Dark Knight had a bigger box office results than batman Begins.
Is it Mr. Freeze. No. He doesn't have sense of humor and it wouldn't sell enough.
Ist it Cat Women. No, she is the sexy lady and can't really be a villain or a legion of nerd neckbeards are going to throw a fit.
Guess who is the big one that isn't on the list?

Last edited:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Shoddy, buggy and marketing driven rerash of Arkham city. If you loved Batman just beating the crap of everybody without effort, there are some more but instead of the interesting villains you get the B cast used by Marvel to pad out their comic books series. If for some reason, you really want to know Bane, Firefly, Eletrocutioner, Black Mask, Copper head, Deadshot and company, you might like it. The story is a piece of trash worse than Arkham City that wasn't good either:
In the end, Black Mask is just an idiot and guess the big secret? Who do you think is the really big baddy? Guess who?
Is it the Scare Crow? No. Dark Knight had a bigger box office results than batman Begins.
Is it Mr. Freeze. No. He doesn't have sense of humor and it wouldn't sell enough.
Ist it Cat Women. No, she is the sexy lady and can't really be a villain or a legion of nerd neckbeards are going to throw a fit.

Your spoiler content. :salute: :bro: Lots of missed opportunities.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

There's no blocking in Arkham Batman games (your three basic moves are strike, counter-strike and evade) but yeah the difference in Origins is that regular mooks are by some dumb logic faster (meaning their punching animation is faster) than Batman so you're sort of forced into a more defensive playstyle (counter and evade) atleast until you unlock focus mode or something, it makes the game somewhat more challenging but there were/are much better ways to achieve that.

What makes the game more tedious (in addition to what I said above) is that a number of Batman moves/abilities that you unlock pretty quickly in Arkham City (after an hour or two play if you're good at the game you'll get enough XP to unlock the vast majority of useful moves) are tied to side missions (some of them even appear when you're about 60%-70% in the game's main plot) instead of XP so you access Batman's wide repertoar of moves much later in the game which leads to combat getting repetitive (more options is always better obviously).

The game is nowhere near as polished as City, it has loads of bugs, traversing the city is noticeably slower due to grappling not functioning as well (some edges you should be able to grapple to you can't), there are no more riddles, only riddler trophies (they're called extortion datapacks or something this time around but it's the same shit), story is meh for the most part (playing it safe is getting tiring at this point, also Gordon comes off as a douche), art direction/visuals I feel are worse than in previous two titles.

What I liked about the game was Bane not being a total musclebound moron (when the guy's among the smartest Batman's adversaries in the comics) like in the first two games, distress calls which usually lead to fights that are more challenging than ones you get into on the main game path and that there was Alfred in the game (not just the voice like in the City).

If you really liked the first two games you'll get some fun out of it but it's worse than its predecessor (Arkham City) in every way possible.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So its just me who thinks that AC is the most boring one of all 3 Arkham games? IMO, AC has shitload of boring and pointless filler content while AO atleast have pretty much the same amount of filler content but more effort put into it with better sidemissions and better bossfights.
Theres a huge amount of derp around and collect trophies/datapacks in both games, but if you remove those AO comes on top. This is just my opinion, I played and finished all 3 games and couldnt be bothered derping around for collectibles. I think my AO game is at 36% completion right now. Only in the original AA I got over 50%.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I never finished Arkham City because of a combination of boredom and disliking the city map. I would guess I should stay far the fuck away from this one, then.

Draconis

Liturgist
Have to give it to AO though, it has the best Batman costume I've seen. Why they went with the underwear in Asylum/City I don't know. Looks silly as always.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
So its just me who thinks that AC is the most boring one of all 3 Arkham games? IMO, AC has shitload of boring and pointless filler content while AO atleast have pretty much the same amount of filler content but more effort put into it with better sidemissions and better bossfights.

Well sure, you could argue most side missions in AC were filler but still I kinda liked them and feel they enriched the game's setting (especially if you're a fan of the comics and are familiar with Hush and Azrael for example), granted I didn't finish that many side missions in AO, I did Shiva (for the critical strike upgrade, it's ridiculous you have to advance so far into the main plot before it comes available) and Deadshot (which I found to be near identical to Two-Face boss fight with Catwoman), I was gonna do the Riddler one but one tower was bugged.

Regarding boss fights, I couldn't disagree more, most of them (AO boss fights) were very similar to fights with Titan infested thugs in AC, Deathstroke was a QTE fest (heck I prefer "el toro" boss fights in Arkham Asylum) and the last boss was a very crappy imitation of the awesome Mr. Freeze fight in AC.

Theres a huge amount of derp around and collect trophies/datapacks in both games, but if you remove those AO comes on top. This is just my opinion, I played and finished all 3 games and couldnt be bothered derping around for collectibles. I think my AO game is at 36% completion right now. Only in the original AA I got over 50%.

I actually find it fun to derp around and collect riddle trophies in Arkham Batman games (for a while atleast) and I didn't like that they cut off environment riddles from AO.

Overall it's just not about content (though I prefer AC in that regard as well) but how much plain better gameplay felt (IMO) in AC, instead of implementing fast travel they should have made more effort to make grapple hooking across the city feel as smooth as it was in AC.

Also as I mentioned in another post here I really feel tying so many extra moves/abilities to sidequests was a bad idea, to make matters worse even those few movies/abilities that aren't tied to sidequests (or challenges) you can't acquire before spending XP on useless health upgrades (as far as I'm concerned, If I'm getting beaten enough in H2H fights or constantly getting discovered and shot in stealth sections to warrant those, I'm playing it wrong), playing a good chunk of the game with a limited moveset in addition to being forced into a more defensive playstyle due to mooks being faster punchers than Batman makes for a far less dynamic gameplay compared to AC.

Last edited:

anus_pounder

Arcane
I'm kind of butthurt that the entire 'assassins to kill batman' thing went nowhere. I suppose I should've seen it coming with such fine characters like electrocutioner in the line-up. Not to mention one of the 8 being locked up less than an hour in-game already. Bah.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A new series of "Over-Analysis" posts of this game by Shamus Young. Looks like it might be interesting: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=21677

Conjecture: As per the rumors, Time Warner wants to “monetize the superheroes through films, games, televised series’, and cartoons.” So they probably want to repeat the success of the Arkham series with Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, or whoever else might sell some games. The thing is that launching a new franchise is risky. An established series can survive a bad title, but a bad first effort will smother the series in its crib.

I imagine that WB handed the already successful title to another team in the hopes that they could simply copy what Rocksteady had already established. Meanwhile, WB gave the team at Rocksteady the task of creating gameplay for (say) Superman, in the hopes that they will “get” Supes just as well as they did the Dark Knight.

This makes sense according to the risk-averse thinking of publishers. Sure, this can still end badly. Maybe a new team won’t copy the formula properly and we’ll end up with a malformed Batman game, and maybe the lightning won’t strike twice at Rocksteady. Still, if you’re never looking beyond the next release then this move makes the most sense.

Further conjecture: I’d predict that Rocksteady is either working on Green Lantern or Superman, since those two are the ones that have been turned into movies recently. Superman is problematic because the guy is so amazingly powerful that it’s hard to design a game where the player can fight “mooks”, or needs to hit anything more than once. Green Lantern is problematic for other reasons.

Dexter

Arcane
By the way, since I’ve finally finished this a few days ago I thought I’d share some of my thoughts, there might be some Spoilers inside, overall I thought it started out strong and ended up being the shittiest of the bunch, anyway:

+ I liked the world design approach best overall, probably more than Arkham City, likely because they had basically taken what RockSteady built before them and added some areas to the South.
+ “Detective” sequences were a good start for similar gameplay in a future title but they didn’t take it far enough, and what RockSteady managed to do more subtly they applied more blunt force to, for instance instead of irregular blood-stains/smears they literally just added a pattern with the exact same spacing from one another and really close together
+ It’s more of the same mainly, which in this case wasn’t that bad, but I don’t know how many titles they can still pull off like this anymore without people getting very tired of the concept

- Too hard to keep a combo up at times in comparison to previous games, I think the speed that henchmen attack and that you have to counter right away might have to do with it, they definitely messed around with the combat formula and seemed to have made it worse, there is also the combat camera that seems to have been chosen so you sometimes can’t see what is happening right behind you (especially in tight spaces) when I can’t remember this issue much from the previous titles, counter sometimes also ends up not working for apparently no reason at all
- They reused too much stuff from Arkham City, instead they could have put some more effort and own ideas into it, there also seemed to be a lot more filler than in the previous games also (and with it typical “video gamey” linear level design, at least seemed such a lot more than previous parts - basically walk along a single corridor, 3-4 fights till the next task to get through without much variation)
- It’s kind of stupid that they didn’t use the occasion to depict a livelier and some other sides of Gotham too, it’s Christmas Eve and you don’t see any civilians or anything other than a very limited number of ones that are threatened with their death. There were actually more scientists and general civilians in the previous game (Arkham City) than in this one, which is kind of weird since it was supposed to have taken place in a quarantined part of Gotham used as a prison, anyway this was a B-Studio take on it, I’m curious to see what RockSteady does next
- Starts good, but gets gradually worse as it progresses (Joker appears and the ending itself and what leads up to it is probably one of the most uninspired and anti-climactic parts of the game)
- A few of the sequences (Copperhead Poison) looked like they saw what Rocksteady did in the previous games (heart poison in Arkham City, hallucinations Arkham Asylum) and tried to pull it off but failed, a few of the characters (mainly Bane, Joker, Firefly ended up being really exaggerated and overstated)
- The “Riddler” stuff seemed to be a lot more boring and contrived in this game, basically didn’t come off as an integral part of the game but more like a chore, which I felt it didn’t in the prequels
- The characters they designed themselves looked boring in partsThe game was rather buggy (crashes, bugged combat moves, graphics bugs, Riddler trophy stuff displaying wrong)´
- Shock Gloves ended up being OP, they introduced a bunch of different enemies over the span of the different games, but here you got something that counters them all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Sup...-possibility/m-p/122949/highlight/true#M15908

Hi all,

The team is currently working hard on the upcoming story DLC and there currently are no plans for releasing another patch to address the issues that have been reported on the forums.

If we do move forward with creating a new patch, it will try to address the progression blocking bugs for players, not the minor glitches that do not prevent one from continuing to play. The issues that are not progression blockers will unfortunately no longer be addressed.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused for some of you, and want to thank you for having been patient.

:hero:

Vibalist

Arcane
Not two hours ago I contemplated buying this game on Steam, despite the mixed reception, bugs and all that. Boy am I glad I didn't. This is douchebaggery at its fucking finest. What a bunch of cunts.

Garm

Learned
Not two hours ago I contemplated buying this game on Steam, despite the mixed reception, bugs and all that. Boy am I glad I didn't. This is douchebaggery at its fucking finest. What a bunch of cunts.

I didn't notice any terrible bugs in the game. I thought it was fun anyway.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

I didn't notice any terrible bugs in the game. I thought it was fun anyway.
Funny thing is I actually welcome story DLC because I've only dealt with 1 or 2 bugs that I recall.

But it does seem true there are big bugs that somehow only a random portion of the players notice.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
LMAO, wish I could brofist this twice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom