Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fangshi said:
I will give you a whole list of different things you can pursue based on your resources once this chapter ends if Derryth survives and we can go from there.
Hmmm. So far we have encountered these options:

Enslaving nations with necromancy
Creating a personal army of brainwashed orphans
Unleashing Armageddon with a miscasted Dream of an unknown nature
Becoming a servant to a Lovecraftian abomination out to devour the world

Can't wait for the rest of them!

Baltika9 said:
Physical slavery is so ugly, so uncouth: threats of force, and then you have slaves revolting all the time.
Come on, why would we ever need to threaten Amena or the maul to make them listen? Why do you think it would have been a physical slavery, and why would they want to revolt? It's not like we could shackle them even if we wanted to. We could have been a kind master, we could have still made them love us, and if they were aware of their position, we could have reached absolute obedience that way without any magic. I mean, if they don't have a right to be treated kindly, and we do so anyway, does that not create a feeling of gratitude and reinforce their willingness to serve?

Such a waste of opportunity.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Second, this is a two way Gate. If you want to dump energy through to the other side it is entirely possible for a skilled archmage or group of mages to push it back through to your side and blow you up instead. If you tried to get cute and use this on Balor back when he was up and about he would probably let you open the gate, wrest control of it from you and then collapse it in on you so there is that to consider. If the Fetch had been paying closer attention or there had been a high priestess nearby it would have been a lot more difficult to close the Gate the way you did and it would become a battle of wills.
Mind ping pong championships. Ping pong officially took level in badass.

Fangshi

Arcane
Jester said:
Mind ping pong championships. Ping pong officially took level in badass.

Well when you are playing ping pong with a tactical nuke things will get interesting.

At any rate I am going to close the polls now, everyone has had a chance to vote by now I think.

Final Tally:
Kz3r0 CADAB
Erebus CBDA
Anabanana CADAB
Zero Credibility CADAB
Rex Feral CACAB
Jester CBCAB
Smashing Axe CBAAA
Baltika9 CBCAB
Nevill CBBAA
Grimgravy CBCAB
Azira CBDAB
tuluse 3A

C) 11 votes
By a landslide Codex wants a secret base... in the middle of a dungeon... surrounded by hostiles... well at least it will be secret. ;)

A) 4 votes
B) 7 votes
You will not ask Miosguinn for help in hiding the tower.

A) 2 votes
B) 1 vote
C) 4 votes
D) 5 votes
Ok, to the Dwarven Quarter then.

A) 11 votes
You will keep Ithapi, Amena is quite happy to hear this.

A) 2 votes
B) 8 votes
And you formally set them free, Amena is very happy to hear this.

An update will be out in twelve hours or so and we will see what riches and dangers await in the Dwarven Quarter.

Jester

Arbiter
By a landslide Codex wants a secret base... in the middle of a dungeon... surrounded by hostiles... well at least it will be secret. ;)
Personal Tree house with security we dont need to pay for, in times of recession it is new American dream. Kinda doubt that skeletons will try to make mess in our secret base.
You will not ask Miosguinn for help in hiding the tower.
Go be fat wizard somewhere else.
Ok, to the Dwarven Quarter then.
Fantasy steam Mecha prototypes or golem factory, if we are lucky. Could be brewery to... guess we now know where we will make alcohol. Lost memories sound like nice name for vodka, we will have brand recognition that way.

You will keep Ithapi, Amena is quite happy to hear this.
Respect points from kid and bull.
And you formally set them free, Amena is very happy to hear this.
Join the Dark Side, we free slaves. Here start our road to assembling fanatically loyal personnel.

An update will be out in twelve hours or so and we will see what riches and dangers await in the Dwarven Quarter.
Thats sound rich and dangerous... i guess.

Fangshi

Arcane
Okay a fairly short update this time, some choices on how to go forward and I had Derryth ask Amena about the library...

Chapter 6: The Dwarven Quarter

"A little to the left... no, no that's too far... a little higher... good, good I think we are done here!" you stand outside the walls with Itahpi and Amena guarding you while Tyrvard and Gareth dangle Brigit out over the edge of the walls.

She is applying the last of your new wards. You, of course, are supervising; using a nice little brass spyglass you found in one of the studies while you were working.

"Alright people go get some rest!" you yell to the three figures on the wall, "We will meet you inside!"

It has been a long week but you have finally finished warding the tower. It took two days of experimentation with the shadow repelling runes but together your Circle managed to modify them to repel all intruders. There is now no way into the tower unless the wards are overcome and you can't help but smile at your handiwork.

Even Miosguinn was forced to admit that you do good work. Seems you may have really impressed the old man with this one and he has even warmed to you a bit. Not enough for you to actually trust him with your new tower though, no sense getting reckless after all.

"Mistress, are we ready to return to the tower now?" it took a couple days for Amena to recover but she has been fixed to your side since then, seems she takes her duty to you very seriously.

"Yeah kid, we are done here. It would take some serious magic to break into the tower now. You and Ithapi should make sure your things are in order since we will be heading out tomorrow."

The expressionless look plastered to Amena's face lifts as she realizes that you will be taking the Maul with you, "You mean Ithapi can come with us? Oh thank you mistress, thank you!"

The girl moves to give you a hug but stops herself, she is not sure how to conduct herself now that you are her master. While it was amusing the first dozen or so times it happened it is quickly becoming annoying.

Honestly you have no real use for a slave, let alone two, and it is time you did something about this, "Kid, we need to talk," as the three of you pass through the open gates you motion for Amena to follow you into the main building, "I don't suppose I need to say it but stick close Ithapi, I want to talk to you too."

The Maul is at first a little surprised that you are acknowledging his existence but with a deep bow he replies, "As you wish my mistress."

Once inside you begin, "This whole mistress nonsense is not going to work I am afraid."

"Mistress-" both Ithapi and Amena begin before you raise a hand to silence them.

"See this is what I am talking about, this just won't do. I don't want to be anyone's mistress. No there is only one solution to all this..."

The two of them have lowered their heads, you stop for a moment and wonder just what Eris did to them that they are so afraid of displeasing their owner.

You push such thoughts from your mind and continue, "Yes there is only one thing that I can do about all of this. I am setting you both free."

At the word free it is as if you have lifted a great weight off their shoulders, a thick veil from before their eyes, they raise their heads to look at you and you can see the look in their eyes; they are amazed, simply amazed...

Amena throws herself at you, tears of joy run down her face while the Maul scoops both of you up and begins dancing, singing what you can only assume is a song of his people. He is actually a much better singer than you would have thought, the rich bass tone of his voice ringing out within the hall.

The noise draws in the rest of your group and Tyrvard never one to back down from a challenge begins singing as well.

The rest of the day is spent in merrymaking, in song, in dance and with Tyrvard's special brew. Even Miosguinn has a drink and you think you even catch the apprentice humming before she notices you and a scowl quickly materializes on her face.

It is one of the best days you can remember having in, well forever and that night you sleep the sleep of the innocent and the inebriated...

------------------------------------------

"Wait, so we will not be continuing on to our destination?" Serpent is not terribly happy with your choice at the moment.

"Well Serpent, we are right next to the old Dwarven Quarter and we are treasure hunters so..." Brigit chimes in defending you, you are all gathered around your maps in the main hall and you have just revealed your next target to the group.

"But the Dwarven Quarter is out of our way," Gareth jumps in coming to the aid of Serpent, "We should use the runes that you all have learnt to go back through the tunnels."

It seems the group is split down the middle but you are confident you can convince them. While you originally were interested solely in the Dwarven artefacts you might find, your research into the area has uncovered a significant piece of information.

With a cough you once more seize control of the conversation, "Well everyone if you would let me finish I could explain to you why we are going to the Dwarven Quarter."

You pull out a second map which reveals the tunnels under the old city and one large tunnel running from the heart of the Dwarven Quarter to the Imperial Offices of the Smiths of Muirthemne within a stone's throw of your target.

"The Dwarves often did special work for the emperors, the sort of work that can not be delivered to the palace through the front door. If the tunnels are still intact we could shave maybe a week off our trip while avoiding the shadows, the creatures and that horror in the city and any imperial patrols around the old palace complex. So we will go over there, we will take a look around and grab any artefacts we may find and if the tunnels are open than great, if not we come back," you say it with such certainty that the group does not protest and Thaïs begins the process of strengthening your case.

By the time she is done everyone is on board with the plan and you begin packing up your supplies for the road. You give the tower one more check before sealing the front door and you are off to your destination. Your party of ten slipping through the ruins towards the old Dwarven Quarter.

---------------------------------------------

You sit in your usual place on the wagon, Thaïs to one side of you and now Amena to the other. You have spent the last hour trying to think of ways to discreetly ask her about what happened at the library and you have finally found the perfect moment to act.

The Children are both temporarily up front managing the shadow repelling wards, this is the best chance you have had in a week and you decide to capitalize on it.

You turn to her, "Kid, do you mind if I ask you a question?"

She gives you an innocent smile before responding, "Not at all mist- Derryth what did you wish to know?"

"What happened to you and Miosguinn in the library?" Thaïs is leaning in now, seems she wants to know as well.

Amena frowns, "I... we were in the stacks and he saw a tome he wanted... he grabbed it... it was black and had some sort of image on it but..." it is clear that she is not upset but rather is having trouble remembering what she saw or perhaps she simply does not wish to tell you.

She shakes her head and gives you a worried smile, "Sorry Derryth, I do not know. He grabbed a book and put it in his pack and while I was watching him we were attacked by a bunch of spiders. I should have been paying closer attention. He fought... yes he fought them off and then Ithapi arrived and brought me to Sir Gareth and the rest you know. If it had not been for Miosguinn I would probably be dead," she shudders.

"That's okay kid no need to dwell on it. If you remember anything I-"

Thaïs interrupts you, "We would like to know dear. Even if the detail seems small it could be important," seems she is concerned as well.

You look at her and she gives you a nod, you will have to talk about Amena later.

Amena nods at you both, smiles weakly and looks away.

Brigit yelps and runs back towards the wagon with the rest of your group.

You clear your throat to ask her what is wrong and you see the problem as fifty ghôls turn the corner six blocks ahead of you.

They turn.

They see you.

They charge.

Four blocks away now you all begin to cast, if you aim your shots well you can drop half before they reach your line.

Two blocks away, your party lets loose, your spells tear through their ranks but leave no bodies.

As the remaining ghôls bear down on your position they suddenly disappear, not five feet from hitting your battle line.

"Ah.. what the hell was that?" your befuddled Berserk asks.

"Ghosts," Serpent replies but his statement sounds more like a question.

"Well how are we supposed to fight ghost armies?" Brigit chimes in.

Gareth clears his throat and by now you know exactly what he will say, "I fought a few during the war-" the two of you say the words at the exact same time.

"Smartass," the veteran mumbles while Brigit and Thaïs laugh a little, he grins at you before he continues, "They will die same as anything else if you do enough damage. Also they seem to be bound to specific locations so if we have to we can try outrunning them."

"Well then you have your answer people, concentrate fire and keep moving," and with those wise words you push the group onward into the ghost infested Dwarven Quarter.

The next hour proves a real test to Gareth's military leadership, you fight packs of ghôls, human warriors, bowmen, and even the occasional Dwarven scout as well as a variety of lesser ghosts lacking the will or memories to actually take on an identifiable form.

You give Serpent your Mandrake Roots and even have to use up another Energon Cube but you reach the center of the Quarter and are truly surprised at what you see.

Dwarves, not ghosts, actual Dwarves... ten of them in fact.

They have set themselves up behind a barricade just outside of the main Dwarven compound and are currently involved in a chaotic three way battle between a horde of ghosts and a swarm of spiders. They will be overrun if you do nothing but they will take a fair number of their enemies with them as well which would make things easier for you.

The real question is whether or not you want to get involved.

1. Do you get involved?

A) Yes, you will try to help the dwarves.

B) No, you will let them all kill each other and pick off the stragglers

C) Just leave, you will try something else when you get back to the tower.

D) Do something else, freeform option

2. If you want to help the dwarves, how will you go about it?

A)Charge the ghosts from the rear. This may be a bit dangerous given the Dwarven explosives that are being lobbed around. But it would immediately take pressure off the Dwarves

B) Work your way around and charge the spiders instead. Again the explosives could be an issue but it would help out the Dwarves. Miosguinn thinks this would be a bad idea but will follow your lead.

C)Do not charge your opponents. Instead use your magic and arrows to thin out their ranks. This will not help the Dwarves as much but if they can hold out it will eventually win you the battle.

D)Have your Circle cast offensive spells while the Children use illusions to hide the dwarves. This will take pressure off of the dwarves but may also draw the anger of both hordes once their current targets disappear.

E) Misdirection: have the Children break off chunks of both hordes with illusions while everyone focuses on ranged attacks.

F) freeform strategy

3. Miosguinn's tome:

A) Confront him about the tome he took, you want to know if he is holding out on you.

B) Do not confront him, it is none of your business.

C)Do not confront him but try and spy on him.

D)You will politely ask Miosguinn to see the tome. If he refuses you will let the matter go, it is none of your business at the end of the day. Thaïs can help you with this.

E) Do something else about the Children, freeform

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
1) A - help
2) C- We'll help but not stick our neck out too much.
3) A if our contract says something like "we get a look at the stuff he claims" C if not.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nothing explicitly states in your contract that he has to show you everything that he takes.

It would be considered poor form on his part to refuse to show you but there is nothing that forces him to cooperate short of an actual demand on your part.

Anabanana

Augur
The deal was that he could keep tomes he's interested in. Why do we give a fuck what the man takes? jfc

AAB

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
1 A
2 A
3 C

The dwarfs probably know useful things, but they'll be much more likely to share them with us if we take actual risks and clearly play a major role in ensuring victory. They might even join us for a while.

Providing minor help wouldn't be enough to make them really trust us (especially since they'll rightfully suspect us of intending to loot the Dwarven Quarter).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1) A

2) The children are masters of illusions, instead of hiding the dwarves can we fake attacks to distract either the ghosts or spiders? Like make them think there is a 3rd group attacking them? Combine this with magical and ranged attacks from the rest of us.

3) A-ish. Be polite and and upfront with him. We agreed he can have his share of the loot, we're just curious what the book is. If we don't get an answer c'est la vie.

Fangshi

Arcane
tuluse said:
instead of hiding the dwarves can we fake attacks to distract either the ghosts or spiders?

Sure, you could try and cause some of them to break off after other targets but the ghosts will not rout through terror or anything. The spiders might but then the ghosts would fully focus on the dwarves so there is that to consider.

I will add misdirection as option 2E.

Baltika9

Arcane
ADC.
We have three master warriors, Ithapi can probably hold half of them by himself while our mages pelt them with firebolts.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It'd be an incredibly bad idea to get near dwarven explosives. In the Myth games their friendly fire capacity is not small, and they're fairly careless about where they toss their molotovs.
A
E>C>D
C

Last edited:
1 A - Well, why not? Plus, it would probably cause problems in our party if we let them die or finish them ourselves.

2 E > D
- We have the plenty of mages, let's put them to good use. E sounds like it takes some pressure off of dwarfs while not exposing us as much.

3 B > C
- So he took a book, meh. The book is quite likely on his particular interest, in which case he has a right to it anyway, so annoying him about it will serve no purpose. I doubt it is anything else (a really dangerous tome wouldn't be left just lying around where anyone could pick it up). Given that we seem to be creating a good working relationship with him and he has been of great help so far, I find this is not enough of a reason to risk changing that.

Kz3r0

Arcane
1. Do you get involved?

A) Yes, you will try to help the dwarves.

2. If you want to help the dwarves, how will you go about it?

E) Misdirection: have the Children break off chunks of both hordes with illusions while everyone focuses on ranged attacks.

3. Miosguinn's tome:

B) Do not confront him, it is none of your business.

Absinthe

Arcane
1A) Help the Dwarves.
Thais is awesome. If not for her, diplomacy would've been fucked.
2F) Have your Circle cast offensive spells while the Children also cast offensive spells. We know they have some and while illusions are spiffy, we need to get rid of enemies, not stall while we pick them off, because our firepower is limited. If we go through cubes here, that's not good.
3D) Mention that we are aware he took a tome, which is cool because we agreed to let him have it.

Anabanana

Augur
We're on our last energon cube, I believe. Might be a better idea to melee here with A to conserve MP.

Absinthe

Arcane
I think we can just cast for now, not use the energon cube, and switch to melee once they close in on us.

I agree that we shouldn't burn the energon cube if we can help it.

Erebus

Arcane
If we tell the Children to turn the dwarfs invisible, let's remind them that the dwarfs should remain able to see themselves and their equipment, or they're likely to blow themselves up by accident.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I think we can just cast for now, not use the energon cube, and switch to melee once they close in on us.

I agree that we shouldn't burn the energon cube if we can help it.
Yeah, we are just fighting to the death here, let's spare ammos for the next time.
Hoarders, hoarders never change.

Absinthe

Arcane
I said "if we can help it." If the circle helps us out with casting offensive spells, then we should be covered much better on firepower.

Besides, by the looks of it, this won't be the last time in this crawl that we are fighting life and death battles.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Four blocks away now you all begin to cast, if you aim your shots well you can drop half before they reach your line.
What are we packing that we can drop 25 ghols before they even reach us? I didn't think our firepower was all that great. I mean, at the beginning of the adventure we could not even cast the firebolt more than 4-5 times without rest:
In your current state you could muster a couple without tiring yourself too much, by about four or five you would be ready to drop (need a break/rest), this is assuming that you are concentrating on what you are doing and standing still.
Did we find something in the tower that boosted our offensive capabilities? Or is our party better at this than we are? I just want to understand what our cumulative potential is, as a group.

Everyone seem to want to help the dwarves, but not everyone agrees how to do it.

I think E is our best chance. Divide and conquer is a time-proven strategy, and since we have it in our arsenal, it would be a waste not to put it to use. I do not want to engage in melee where a stray explosive can result in TPK, and I do not want to stay at range because our ranged capabilities are not that great and rely mostly on spells - and we are tired from our trip here to the extent we had to use another one of the Energon Cubes. So we need to do both, ranged and melee, utilizing our party to the fullest. Tyrvard is still our best asset capable of cleaning small groups of enemies alone. Let Miosguinn and his apprentice break the attacking forces into small chunks, have Tyrvard, Gareth and Ithapi lure away and engage the groups that are furthest from the dwarves or that pose a thtreat to us while the the rest of our party concentrates fire on the enemies attacking the dwarves.

That way we'll go through the horde of enemies faster while still taking enough pressure off the dwarves for them to survive the assault. Fangshi, is it within the definition of E, or is it more of a freeform choice?

I don't know if spying on the guy would help our cause much. I mean, he helped us with learning our spells, and we are far too dependant on him at this point to risk antagonizing him. Still, a secret black tome from the Theology section of the library is not something you should ignore. I'd like to let him keep it, but I aslo want to know what it was. None of these options have a suggestion like that (A is a bit too confrontational to qualify), so... we need to make it option D?

AED

Yeah, we are just fighting to the death here, let's spare ammos for the next time.
Dwarves do. We don't. In fact, we may just up and leave, if we so choose.
Unless we get nailed by a Molotov, that is.

Sure, you could try and cause some of them to break off after other targets but the ghosts will not rout through terror or anything. The spiders might but then the ghosts would fully focus on the dwarves so there is that to consider.

I will add misdirection as option 2E.
Wait, will the illusions work on ghosts, or won't they?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom