Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh, FFS, the vote where we were choosing the rollback was basically a "do you prefer your shit sandwich with salt or pepper?" We were fucked either way, but at least if we had continued, we would have met YX and gottent he chance to train with him. So, yeah, fuck that poparoll.
Well, a rollback was going to happen either way and to be fair, in this iteration of reality we still have all our items, we were able to help Shun, establish more of a relationship with Gao Ying etc...
Only it wasn't. We were choosing between rolling on with the assassination storyline (because Jing survived and was captured), or re-rolling back to the BDS.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Cave Life

Having decided to continue with your current approach and remain in the chamber, you find your gaze drawn to the writing on the wall at times, intrigued by the techniques that Yang Xue had devised.

A. You continue to practice the Wuying Leipo Kick, aiming to master as much of the technique as you possibly can. You feel that you might be able to completely learn all of the moves in the technique if you focus on it.

B. Wushuang Xiongba Spear (無雙雄霸槍, Unparalleled Manly Conqueror’s Spear). The spear technique created by Yang Xue during his peak as the all-conquering General of the North, and reputed to be undefeated under heaven. It combines strength, speed and precision to unleash supreme thrusting power, allowing a master of the technique to pierce through any obstacles in his way, be it flesh, rock or metal.

C. Feian Bianfu Claws (飛暗蝙蝠爪, Flying Dark Bat Claws). An aerial technique that imitates the hunt of the bat. It utilizes speed and knowledge of the enemy’s blind spots to strike from above, swooping in with sharp claws to wound the enemy. Due to the speed and unnatural angles at which the attacks are launched, the technique is also highly risky for the wielder.

Now that Qilin has recovered, you begin to work together with her in an attempt to scavenge sufficient food for the both of you. The desperate situation you find yourself in forces you to improve very quickly in order to survive.

I. You learn to create and lay traps for the rats using the spider-silk as well as other materials that you can scavenge. (Traps +4)

II. By manipulating the spider-silk and practicing nimble trickery of the fingers, you learn better ways of feinting and capturing your target directly. (Sleight-of-Hand +4)

III. You practice the use of thrown weapons, allowing you to hit the rats from a distance without spooking it. (Thrown Weapons +4)

IV. You make use of your blade to attack your prey, learning how to strike more swiftly and precisely. (Sword +1)

V. You attempt to go head-to-head with the mad old man, chasing him off with your bare hands and feet so that you may capture the rats undisturbed. (Unarmed +1)

(Pick two from the above.)

“Well!” grins Qilin happily, “That is quite a haul we have!” The two of you had managed to obtain both fish and rat today. Bringing out a small knife, she deftly skins the animals, having gotten used to the strange diet quickly. “I’ll get the fire started,” you say, going over to the small pit that you had dug in the ground. You had gathered pieces of damp wood that you found lying all over the caves and dried them out. Using flint taken from the remains of the Imperial agents, you managed to get a fire going. You had managed to scavenge a few dozen matches from their bodies, but the torches remained where they were on the walls – you decided that you would save them for an emergency.

You could hear Yang Xue screaming and ranting in the distance; after your first encounter, he seemed to have forgotten the offer he had made, treating the both of you as nothing more than potential food. Though he tried attacking you more than a few times during your struggles over the rat population, you were able to chase him off: the man did not make full use of his immense qi nor his formidable skills. Still, you are careful not to take his condition for granted. Just the other day you had approached him carelessly, thinking that he was deep in the grasp of senility. Unfortunately, he had been quite lucid at the time and laughed at you before launching his attack. You had nearly been killed by a thrust from his hand, and retreated into the chamber while he stood outside and cackled maniacally before slinking away with no rhyme or reason. The hole he made in the rock was still there, a reminder of the strength the old man still had.

“I’m going for a bath,” remarks Qilin after the meal. “You just had one yesterday,” you reply, frowning at her. She smiles sweetly before saying, “A lady must always be presentable. Come on, I need you to wash… I mean, watch my back.” Even if the both of you were cave-dwellers now, hygiene should not be neglected: as an apprentice physician you are only too aware of the dangers of not keeping yourself clean. It would be too risky to split up and go alone, however, so you and Qilin had decided that each of you would take turns guarding the other while they bathed.

Grumbling, you lead the way out of the passage. “Can you hear him?” whispers Qilin. You shake your head. “It should be clear. Let’s hurry.”

When you reach the pool, you turn your back as Qilin undresses. Her pet snake, Xiaoqing, slithers out from the folded clothing and curls around your ankle. You hear Qilin sighing contentedly, starting to hum a traditional Miao tune as she slips into the cool water. “I thought you would have taken this a little bit harder,” you say – she has been remarkably relaxed, considering the situation the both of you were in. “Why should I?” giggles the girl. “Don’t you find this rather nice?”

“What’s so nice about being stuck in a cave with a man-eating madman, with little hope of escape?” It has been nearly four weeks and you had yet to find a way out: many of the tunnels that led upwards had turned out to end in nothing but collapsed rubble. “Well, it feels a bit like married life,” Qilin says teasingly. “We hunt together, have dinner together, and go to bed together.”

“I’m not so sure the heiress of the great and rich Wudu Cult would need to hunt to survive,” you say.

“I’m not so sure I prefer that life over this one,” she replies lightly.

“What, are you rebelling against familial expectations?” You grin, mocking her.

“Not in the way you think, Xu Jing. They would be overjoyed if they knew the two of us had been trapped in a cave together, alone, for weeks. You would be forced to take responsibility for what you did to me.”

“I didn’t do anything.”

“Oh, really? You took my first kiss,” says Qilin in a singsong voice.

“I never-“

“You violated my mouth with your tongue,” she continues.

“Look, I had to-“

“You really should be responsible and take the rest, while you’re at it.”

You sigh. “You know that’s not what I meant.”

“Oh, you are no fun at all when you are like this. Loosen up,” she pouts. “I’m getting out.”

You hear the water falling off of her body as she gets up from the pool. Then, you hear her clothes rustling. “I’m done,” she says. You turn around. “Well-“ Qilin is clearly not done at all, and the Miao girl smiles mischievously. “Ha, I got you.”

You keep your gaze focused on her face, trying not to look anywhere else. “So-“

She takes a step towards you with her bare feet, water still dripping off her wet frame. In the dim glow from the cave moss, she looks ethereal, as if she were a water fairy risen from a lagoon. “I am quite confident in myself,” she says quietly as she draws closer. For some reason, you are unable to move: your limbs refuse to heed your brain’s command to leap back. “I don’t see a reason for you to be unconfident,” you reply, a nervous smile fixed on your face, though your mind is feeling rather scrambled by this sudden turn of events. “Oh my, was that a compliment?” she titters. “Thank you.”

“You shouldn’t be doing this,” is the next disjointed sentence that comes out of your mouth.

“I am here, trapped in a cave with someone I like, and death may just be around the corner. I would regret it if I didn’t do this. I might not get another chance tomorrow,” says Qilin unabashedly, kneeling in front of you. She takes a deep breath. “Even then, it took me some time to work up the courage.” You are suddenly very aware of her proximity, of the warmth radiating from her, and attempt to back away. Qilin frowns. “Is it because of the Fire Cult’s Holy Maiden?” she asks suddenly. “No, of course not,” you say. “She has nothing to do with this.”

“Well then, good. Anyway, I am not averse to sharing, you know. I don’t mind being second or even third.”

“Well, I am sure your father would mind,” you laugh nervously.

“Oh, he wouldn’t. He understands all too well that a man can have many wives… or a woman many husbands,” she says, glancing at you from under her long, graceful eyelashes. “Don’t worry, I’m not like my mother.”

“This would be a mistake, Qilin,” you say, trying to justify your refusal through the haze of increasing desire. “I don’t think I’m the right sort of man for anyone-“

“It really is the Prince, then?” She laughs as you shake your head, aghast. “It is a mistake I am willing to make. Even if you cast me aside after this… well, at least I can say I received something from you.” Her smile is both teasing and coy at the same time as she looks down shyly, waiting for your response. You feel your ears burning: you must be blushing crimson at this moment, and you can see that Qilin’s face is similarly red. She did say that she had to work up the courage to approach you like this. Your heart is beating wildly, as if it is about to burst its way out of your chest. If you make a mistake now, there will be no going back…

A. You make a mistake, consequences be damned. You'll just have to take responsibility and face down whatever difficulties that come next as a man should.

B. You don’t make a mistake. Given the rather volatile nature of your life, you think it would be better for her if you kept her at arm’s length in the long run. Getting too close to you will not bode well for her.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, I'm assuming that studying the Manly Conqueror's Spear (what a name :lol: ) will also give us a +spear skill? Would be kinda pointless otherwise.

Baltika9

Arcane
Great.
B- Unparalleled Manly Conqueror's Spear. Dude, with a name like that and an actual skill boost, fuck yeah.
II, V- Unarmed+Sleight of Hand. This is our best stuff, and getting a skill level of 7 in unarmed, almost Master level, is a fucking must. Doo eet! Undecided on the second on, for now.
A- About fucking time. In before Yang Xue sneaks up on us and sticks his Manly Conqueror's Spear in our flesh.
:troll:

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A. Focus will pay off here. Plus the claw technique is risky for the wielder. As for the spear, sounds cool, but...we don't even have a spear...

I. Traps are a good skill to have and will net us food.

II. Sleight of hand will help us grab more sashes and, again, more food. I don't trust the unarmed option. We could be seriously injured. Besides, we wasted a stat boost on the damn silk. Let's learn all the ways to use it we can.

A.
14410.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipeci

Arcane
If we'd been seriously injured then we couldn't have gotten to this point in the update, you know.

I'd also like to plug the sword skill. Very frequently when we fight we end up in having to resort to swordplay against foes versed in it, and we don't generally fare that well with it. Our enemies are only going to be more skilled in that by this point, so we should buff that as well as the unarmed stat.

Tigranes

Arcane
By the way, I assume this means if we had taken Cao'er with us this would be a menage-a-trois

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Is I-V options just skill boost or do they affect other things as well? Namely the unarmed option. I like the skill boost but I would rather not fight the madman.

Anabanana

Augur
A. We don't need another weapon at this rate, we already have the sword and the silk. Plus, we seem to be playing Jing in a relatively pacifist bent, so we should probably stay away from destructive techniques like this.

II. Good point about picking up skills to utilize the silk more effectively.

V. On the other hand, I think we should focus on raising the skills that we already have. I don't think we need to worry about getting hurt because the skill-raising has already occurred over the past few weeks and Jing is obviously fine.

A. Perhaps we should pick supreme thrusting power after all. :)

A, II, V, A

By the way, I assume this means if we had taken Cao'er with us this would be a menage-a-trois

:rage:

CODEX WHYYYYYYYYYYYY :negative:

Baltika9

Arcane
B. Wushuang Xiongba Spear (無雙雄霸槍, Unparalleled Manly Conqueror’s Spear). The spear technique created by Yang Xue during his peak as the all-conquering General of the North, and reputed to be undefeated under heaven. It combines strength, speed and precision to unleash supreme thrusting power, allowing a master of the technique to pierce through any obstacles in his way, be it flesh, rock or metal.
If we pass this up, YX's greatest, unmached technique, I will never forgive you, Codex. I am officially shilling my votes for it.

Anabanana

Augur
Currently we have Sleight-of-Hand 1, and Traps 0. I think people should vote for either of those, but probably Sleight-of-Hand to bring our silk mastery up to 5, on par with our current sword mastery. I mean I feel like if we put the points into acquiring silk, we should try to make it so that the skill is not kinda mediocre like it is at the moment.

On the other hand, it's a good point that if we put a point in unarmed now, we'll be close to total mastery. I doubt we'll get many chances to face such a challenging unarmed opponent than Yang Xue in the future, so I think this option is also a must.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As for the spear, sounds cool, but...we don't even have a spear...
But we can have The Spear.
I am here in the depths, bound by chains, my trusty spear sealed underneath the rock, my qi suppressed by the needles that are locked into my pressure points. I have not been more helpless in all my life, but I will survive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom