Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Ok, give them to the Veteran, then. He'll know what to do.

He fought alongside the damn dwarves he knows better than to touch them... ;)

Nevill said:
dropped a Journeyman on us

Ah but that is the question, is he really a Journeyman?

Nevill said:
Oh, and the setting is rich in talking heads, so I suggest we get our hands on a jar of a suitable size ASAP.

Fangshi, can we get one as a freebee? They are a common item and should come extra cheap, so they might not count for the purposes of the item limit. :)

Sure, if you want a jar the barman has a few he uses for pickling eggs, flirt a little with him and he will give you one (he may have a bit of a crush on you), he is a really sweet guy actually.... name's Moe....

Also, are you really sure you want to be carrying talking heads around, it did not go terribly well the last time it was tried in this setting...

Anabanana

Augur
This whole Journeyman/roots business confuses me. I assumed that our healer would be able to heal us well enough without the root's help, but from what you're saying he needs the roots to be able to cast healing spells? What?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fangshi said:
Also, are you really sure you want to be carrying talking heads around, it did not go terribly well the last time it was tried in this setting...
Well, chronologically, last time it was tried with the head of Balor, and it did go fairly well.
I am not concerned about how much it can screw us if it screws our enemies even more.

Fangshi said:
Ah but that is the question, is he really a Journeyman?
Meta says he is. :) But I guess we can ask him directly if he could cast healing spells, can we?

Do we have the means to detonate a satchel charge quickly and safely? How? I guess a Firebolt spell could help, are there other alternatives?

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
last time it was tried with the head of Balor, and it did go fairly well.

Good to know your definition of "well" includes a scenario were almost everyone who touched the damn thing was murdered.... :lol:

Nevill said:
But I guess we can ask him directly if he could cast healing spells, can we?

Sure, don't see why not, just assume it came up during your conversation with him. He was taught by a Journeyman how to utilize the magic in the roots and how to collect them without dying. He can not actually cast Heal spells as he is not a real Journeyman, just a gifted amateur, a prodigy you could say... ;)

Nevill said:
Do we have the means to detonate a satchel charge safely? How?

They work just like in the game; you put one down, an enemy steps on it and KABOOM... now to set up a timing system or some sort of detonator would require some sort of inventor or tinkerer. As it stands it will only be set off if it is stepped on.

Got a bit confused there, the satchel charges will work like in the games, place them and then set them off with a fire arrow or spell. If you do meet someone with the tinkerer ability he may still be able to whip up a variety of mines/detonators/gadgets for you so that is still something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Anabanana said:
This whole Journeyman/roots business confuses me. I assumed that our healer would be able to heal us well enough without the root's help, but from what you're saying he needs the roots to be able to cast healing spells? What?

Well it is like I say, magic in Myth is just plain weird. There are no actual "clerics" in the setting, some casters get their powers from the "Gods" but all the living gods in the setting are evil eldritch horrors and healing is not really their thing.

So to cast healing magic you do it the same as a wizard/mage casts spells. An actual Journeyman/Heron Guard knows the proper spells and can act like clerics but to heal someone eats up a lot of mental and physical strength, so they do it once and then they are spent for the day. This is why they harvest and use the roots, it allows them to use the magical power of the roots instead of draining themselves, so they can actually heal large numbers of soldiers.

Now Serpent is just a gifted physician, if he is taught the Heal spell and the basic spell casting theory that both Derryth and Thaïs know, (if you want the girls can try to work together to teach him once they know him and each other better) then he could one day do what the Heron Guards can but for now he can only cast heal spells when he has a root. Even without a root though he is a very good physician, and most people in the setting make due with non-magical medicine so you should be able to manage.

Last edited:
Oh man, shopping is my favourite activity.

5: Whip - why fight destiny
7: Leather armor - some armor is always a good idea
9: Energon cubes - supplies for our magic heavy party
10: Firebolt scroll - well we could be going against the undead
12: Mandrake roots - supplies for our medic are good

All in all we do have a relatively good party here.

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi said:
They work just like in the game; you put one down, an enemy steps on it and KABOOM... now to set up a timing system or some sort of detonator would require some sort of inventor or tinkerer. As it stands it will only be set off if it is stepped on.
In the game the enemy can dance on top of it and nothing would happen - it took fire to blow it up.
Why can't we detonate it with a firebolt spell? I am thinking more of using it outside of combat - to breach a wall, or to seal a tunnel, for example.

Fangshi said:
He was taught by a Journeyman how to utilize the magic in the roots and how to collect them without dying.
That's good enough for our purposes, right? To keep Gareth and Tyrvard (and ourselves) alive and well with the help of mandrake roots. Ok, got it.

What kind of creatures are susceptible to a projection spell? Is it a mind spell (works on intelligent (?) living (?) beings), or an illusion spell (should work on everyone who relies on sight - for that matter, just who does not rely on sight? Undead creatures probably don't)?

What abilities/spells can Dr. Miosguinn use?

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
5. Given what Fangshi said about reincarnation, I'm going for the whip. I want something with range to complement our close-quarters knife, so either polearm or whip would work, and even though the whip is harder to learn (I assume), I like that we have an affinity with it.
7. Our dex and con stat seem pretty balanced, so our armour should reflect that as well.
9. We have quite a few mages that could use the extra power in our team.
10. We need to have a basic attack technique. Better to get some practice in sooner than later.
12. It'll be dangerous down there so having roots for our medic to heal better would be good.

EDIT: And it looks like Zero Credibility came up with the same list as well.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
In the game the enemy can dance on top of it and nothing would happen - it took fire to blow it up.
Why can't we detonate it with a firebolt spell? I am thinking more of using it outside of combat - to breach a wall, or to seal a tunnel, for example.

Sorry about that, you are right. I don't know why I thought they acted like landmines but it has been a while since I played the games. Yeah we can go with that, if you use a fire spell or arrow it will set them off, I will update the text to reflect their actual behavior, thanks.

Nevill said:
That's good enough for our purposes, right? To keep Gareth and Tyrvard (and ourselves) alive and well with the help of mandrake roots.

Oh yeah definitely, you keep him well stocked with roots and he can keep you on your feet, I just figured I should draw the distinction between the two so people don't just assume that he is a real Journeyman.

Nevill said:
What kind of creatures are susceptible to a projection spell? Is it a mind spell (works on intelligent - living? - beings), or an illusion spell (should work on everyone who relies on sight - for that matter, just who does not rely on sight?)?

It projects an image, so anything that uses sight may be fooled by it. The dumber the creature the less likely they are to see through the illusion you are presenting them with. Some creatures have magical sight/spells that will reveal the true nature of the illusion but these are all pretty powerful creatures anyway. If the monster in question can not see, then it simply will not notice the projection.

Nevill said:
What abilities/spells can Dr. Miosguinn use?

You don't know, his circle is known for illusions but no mage survives without some form of offence.

You could ask him but he probably won't tell you much, you could try asking his apprentice but she does not like you much, other than that you will just have to pay attention. If he likes you he may teach you something (but that might make his apprentice jealous...).

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
If the monster in question can not see, then it simply will not notice the projection.
So that rules out the undead, no? Unless they have 'sight' that is identical to the one of a living being. I remember dwarven commandoes were able to fool the undead with their tarnkappes, but I don't know if the principle behind it is the same.

You don't know, his circle is know for illusions but no mage survives without some form of offence.

You could ask him but he probably won't tell you much, you could try asking his apprentice but she does not like you much, other than that you will just have to pay attention. If he likes you he may teach you something (but that might make his apprentice jealous...).
We are the unofficial (or maybe official?) leader of the group, right? I know that the mages are secretive, but how can we be expected to coordinate the group to the best of its capabilities if we do not know them? That puts everyone at unnecessary risk.

Besides, we are not asking him to show us his spellbook to steal his incantations. We are just asking him what he can do.

I do not expect us to drive the point home to the Doc with our CHA stat, but I want to enlist Thaïs' help on that one. She is a natural speaker, and she is grateful to us, so let's ask her to reason with the wizard. I am sure he would not want her harmed because of his reticence... or that she can make him feel that way. Would also be in character for her. :)

Edit: Actually, maybe we can use her to get inside his spellbook. Though the question is, does she like us enough that she would be willing to share?

(but that might make his apprentice jealous...)
You say that as if it is a bad thing. :P

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
So that rules out the undead, no?

No, the undead use their eyes to "see" so they would be fooled and because most of them are very stupid it would work on them very well

Nevill said:
We are the unofficial (or maybe official?) leader of the group, right? I know that the mages are secretive, but how can we be expected to coordinate the group to the best of its capabilities if we do not know them? That puts everyone at unnecessary risk.

Besides, we are not asking him to show us his spellbook to steal his incantations. We are just asking him what he can do.

Well that is the trouble with mages. To put it in perspective the Warlocks fought throughout the later half of the last war and only ever cast one spell for fear of having others steal their knowledge. (Yeah I am taking a game mechanic and turning it into lore...) The mages of Myth are very paranoid, if you ask he will tell you he can cast illusions and some minor offensive spells and his apprentice can cast weaker versions. You can be almost certain that he is lying but it simply is not something that a mage would tell. You knew your master for years, you were friends, and he only ever taught you a handful of utility spells and some basic attack spells. You knew he was holding out on you but every now and then he would give you something more and that kept you happy, besides you developed a sort of father-daughter relationship by the end.

Edit:
Now if you want you could form your own Circle with Thaïs and Serpent and do things differently, no backbiting, no secrets, you help each other learn the arts. It might even work... or it could explode in your face but it is an option if you guys want to try a pursue it.

Esquilax

Arcane
Quite a crew we've got:

Children of the Callieach
The Prodigy (Serpent)
The Northerner (Tyrvard of the Thunderous Blows)
The Veteran (Gareth)
The Courtesan (Thais)

As for the choices:

5) Our character has a high WIS, so if her intuitions are telling her something, we should probably follow it.
8) Fangshi, how much will each armor limit our movement? I'm assuming that it's an effective -1 DEX for Leather and -2 DEX for mail armor, as far as movement goes, correct? In any case, the whip is a crappy weapon that won't do shit to a thrall right now, I think that we should invest in some armor because we don't have anything to actually attack with. I might flop to the Leather Armor, since our character has a pretty respectable CON score, she's pretty damn sturdy for a mage.
9) I'm intrigued, but power for what? We don't really have that many spells in our arsenal, what would we empower?
10) I really like this and it's a great first step to becoming a dangerous mage, but I can't help but feel that we need the satchel charge as well. If we can lure in an enemy and set it off with the Firebolt, we'd be able to kill or gravely injure an enemy that might otherwise tear us to shreds.
12) Fangshi, do we have the ability to harm undead with a mandrake root's power like a Journeyman/Heron Guard does, or do we not have the magical ability for it?

Anabanana

Augur
I'm curious, Fangshi, tell me more about why the wizards in Myth are so paranoid and what does it have to do with the game mechanics? You mention magic colleges, is the distribution of knowledge restricted in those places as well?

Nevill

Arcane
All right.

Another question, just to be sure about the mechanics. How is spellcasting handled? Is it a mana system, where the casting ability eventually regenerates (and Energon Cubes are thus 'mana potions'), or does it tire out the character and he needs to rest after a certain number of spells to be effective again? The game worked both ways with Warlocks' fireballs and Alric's Dispersal Dreams (though that one used consumables? I don't really remember). Fetches apparently didn't even need mana to throw lightning bolts around.

If we learned firebolt in our current state, just how effective would we be with it? If we casted it non-stop, when would we be spent? What would it take to cast it again (supplies, a break, or a thorough rest)? What exactly would Energon Cubes do for us - replenish our 'mana', or temporarily improve our 'mana' reserves? By how much? Or would they make the spells themselves more powerful?

Just wanted to measure up their usefulness.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Ok, I have another batch of answers here:
Armour:

Esquilax said:
how much will each armor limit our movement?

hmmm I think I will just steal from dnd, padded will give no limits, leather will lower your chances of sneaking and hiding slightly but not actually hurt your dex, mail will give you a -2 but provides quite a bit of protection too, the way I see it is padded is the way to go if you are going to try and stay well away from combat, mail is for if you think you will see a fair bit of melee, while leather is the compromise between the two.

Magic and Mages:

Esquilax said:
I'm intrigued, but power for what? We don't really have that many spells in our arsenal, what would we empower?

Nevill said:
Another question, just to be sure about the mechanics. How is spellcasting handled? Is it a mana system, where the casting ability eventually regenerates (and Energon Cubes are thus 'mana potions'), or does it tire out the character and he needs to rest after a certain number of spells to be effective again? The game worked both ways with Warlock's fireballs and Alric's Dispersal Dreams (though that one used consumables? I don't really remember). Fetches apparently didn't even need mana to throw lightning bolts around.

Since the games work on a cool down system and rounds are rather pointless in a CYOA, I am going with a fatigue system, in the background this is also why Alric could only use dispersal dream three times, the fourth would have knocked him on his ass. Casting spells drains you mentally (and for the powerful stuff physically) so the cubes act as free spells if you do not want to drain yourself but they can also boost a spell to maximum efficiency if you use more than 1 or use some of your natural power.

Fetches do not need mana/fatigue because they are one of the few examples of actual "clerics" in the setting. They come from another plane of existence and they draw their power from their "God" on that other plane of existence as well, they just can't pull enough power to actually get home.

Nevill said:
If we learned firebolt in our current state, just how effective would we be with it? If we casted it non-stop, when would we be spent? What would it take to cast it again (supplies, a break, or a thorough rest)?

In your current state you could muster a couple without tiring yourself too much, by about four or five you would be ready to drop (need a break/rest), this is assuming that you are concentrating on what you are doing and standing still. If you try to move and cast at the moment it may work but forget about aiming. Your slightly higher WIS actually helps you here, if you learnt the spell and then taught it to Thaïs or Serpent (would not be easy but it would actually help you master it as well) they would be able to cast a naturally stronger version of the spell due to higher INT but they would burn out quicker then you would. INT is to sprinting as WIS is to a marathon so to speak.

Esquilax said:
do we have the ability to harm undead with a mandrake root's power like a Journeyman/Heron Guard does, or do we not have the magical ability for it?

The way I will approach it is that the "turn undead" ability of the roots is a result of releasing their inherent healing properties, which do not play well with the necromantic energies that sustain the undead, so yes Serpent can use them like the Journeymen in the game. In addition, Heron Guards will be able to cast Turn Undead as a spell even without the herbs to give them a bit of a boost. IT will still drain the Guard though so it is a sort of last ditch thing.

Anabanana said:
I'm curious, Fangshi, tell me more about why the wizards in Myth are so paranoid and what does it have to do with the game mechanics? You mention magic colleges, is the distribution of knowledge restricted in those places as well?

Sure, your character was not the best student of history or philosophy but she knows the important bits:

This paranoia is linked into the cycles of Light and Dark that have characterized almost all of human history. The short version is that the heroes of each age are reincarnated as the villains of the next and that those that fought to save humanity would ultimately damn it. Now this does not really impact the lives of the weak (aside from killing a lot of them), but the strong are all incredibly afraid of themselves and of each other. Mages seek knowledge and power either for their own sake or to protect themselves from others, the motivation matters less than the outcome, which is that eventually they almost all fall. As a result mages tend not to share with each other since today's ally could be tomorrows enemy, and by keeping information dispersed, it weakens the potential power of the next Dark Lord.

Now there have been four great ages in Myth, the first was what men call the Ax Age (since that was the most important invention of the period) and which the Trow call the Golden Age (because for them it was), from humanities perspective this was an age of Darkness that extended into prehistory. It was succeeded by the Age of Reason when the great hero Tireces bested the very first Leveler (a title granted to the Dark Lord that attempts to usher in an age of Darkness). This age lasted for 1000 years until another leveler arose, Moagim, now scholars believe he was Tireces reincarnated and he succeeded in ending the Age of Reason and ushering in The Wind Age (an age of Darkness) where human civilization collapsed, Moagim died however, even as he triumphed. This age also lasted for a thousand years until the hero Connacht defeated the next Leveler also named Moagim and began the Age of Light which lasted till sixty years ago when Connacht reincarnated as the Dark Lord Balor marched west to begin another Dark Age. The only thing is that Alric beat him, it was not the Light's turn to win and some people think that the Emperor managed to break the cycle. But the people of this world will not know that for another 1000 years.

So that is why mages do not trust one another in theory, then throw in all of the very human reasons why people horde power and you get a situation where no one wants to give and everyone wants to take. If the cycle really is over then mages might open up a bit but they have no real reason to since the first person to drop his/her guard will likely be attacked by all of his/her fellows.

Anabanana said:
You mention magic colleges, is the distribution of knowledge restricted in those places as well?

Often in practice yes, but in theory no. Anyone that can find a teacher can learn magic. Derryth is an independent and so was her master and Thaïs has picked up what she can from a variety of masters and if they worked together and pooled their resources they might be able to manage (or they may fail who knows?). It is only in the colleges/circles that mages are taught a standardized set of spells. Though it would be more accurate to say that their teachers are forced to share with the students by the very oaths they took when they were starting out. So there are no formal rules restricting magic practice/use/education, either within or outside of the colleges, with the exception of a complete ban on the use of dark magic/necromancy which is just common sense. I mean what is a mage going to do with an army of slaved undead except try to start something with his/her neighbors.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
5: Whip - why fight destiny
7: Leather armor - some armor is always a good idea
9: Energon cubes - supplies for our magic heavy party
10: Firebolt scroll - well we could be going against the undead
12: Mandrake roots - supplies for our medic are good
this

Nevill

Arcane
A whip, a leather clothing and a stylish hat. I can't decide what kind of image we are going after.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
A whip, a leather clothing and a stylish hat. I can't decide which kind of image we are going after.

Each could be adventitious depends on situation. Both gives so needed charisma bonus so either is good.

Fangshi

Arcane
There seems to be a fair bit of consensus on what you all want so I will keep the polls open for a few more hours for any stragglers and then knock out an update. Ok, polls are closed.

Final Tally:
Grimgravy: 5,7,9,10,13
JaGreenLern: 3,7,9,12,16
Tigranes: 2,7,9,10,11
Nevill: 5,10,11,12,14
Azira: 5,7,10,11,12
Elfberserker: 1,6,10,12,16
Zero Credibility: 5,7,9,10,12
Anabanana: 5,7,9,10,12
Esquilax: 5,8,9,10,12
Gondolin: 1,7,9,12,13
Kz3r0: 5,7,10,12,13
Jester: 5,7,9,10,12

So the winning picks are:
The Whip: 8 votes
Leather Armour: 9 votes
The Energon Cubes: 8 votes
The Firebolt Scroll: 10 votes
The Mandrake Roots: 10 votes

I have the update about half done, maybe a few more hours (depends if I get interrupted or not).

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Chapter 4: The Grand Bazaar

You leave the Hanged Man, a quick lunch and a pint was just what you needed. You had spent the better part of the morning purchasing supplies for your expedition and arranging for their delivery to Thaïs' safehouse. She had even sent word back that she had acquired a hand cart to move the supplies and an up to date map of the city to better plan your approach. The woman was proving to be a valuable asset indeed.

With the basics taken care of your afternoon is free and you decide to relax a bit and do some shopping. You turn your mind and your feet towards the Merchant district of the rebuilt city and passing through one of the inner gates you are met with the city of Muirthemne's Grand Bazaar in all of its glory. Whoever said that money could not buy happiness had never visited Muirthemne, anything and everything could be found at the Bazaar, for the right price of course.

Jugglers, dancers and musicians perform in the squares while throngs of shoppers mill about the stalls. Silks and canvass in every colour imaginable adorn your surroundings and the smell of spices, leather and sweat assail your nostrils. Entering the bazaar is almost as dangerous as a good dungeon crawl you think to yourself as you watch a couple from the farmlands being taken for all they are worth by an expert conman. It is a good thing that this is not your first time. You keep a careful hand on your purse as you push through the maze of bodies.

You know where you are going, you need a weapon and that means a trip to see "the Cleaver". An old friend of your master's, they adventured together in their younger days. His alias truly is ridiculous but it works; Cleaver once confided in you, over a few too many pints of ale, that his real name was Ian but he thought it lacked a little punch and showmanship is a fundamental part of the trade.

You come across his shop, set back from the main square, a very large and very fake cleaver hanging over top of the door. As you enter the big man himself greets you inquiring about your master. When you tell him the unfortunate news he expresses his sympathies and in an attempt to change the subject asks you how your knife is holding up.

"It works brilliantly, Ian." you respond with a smile; "actually that is why I am here, I need something a bit more "combat ready" for my next run."

The old weaponsmith expresses some reservations about you going out into a dungeon without Henry, instead he suggests you should find a nice guy, settle down and have a few kids.

You have to chuckle at that a little, give up the knowledge, the power, the adventure? You would rather die, some morbid little part of you chimes in that you just might get your wish.

You shake off the thought, you remind yourself to stay positive or you are beaten before you even begin. As Ian realizes you will not be discouraged he finally surrenders and instead insists on finding you something truly special.

"I will not let Henry's little girl go wandering off without the best that I have," he states with a lot of fondness and not a little concern. "Come into the back room and I will show you my best stock, don't worry we can negotiate the price."

Ian closes up the shop and leads you into the storeroom through his practice room.

In Ian's storeroom are some truly magnificent pieces, a staff with a retractable head that reveals a solid steel spear tip, a sword that Ian assures you could cut a man in half (Ian always had a slight problem with hyperbole), a light and well balanced axe, a nicely balanced mace... but none of these things really catch your attention... then you see it hanging on a hook on the far wall, the most magnificent whip you have ever seen.

Looking at it, it just feels right.

"Ian, what is the story with that whip?"

He arches an eyebrow; "That thing? Some traveler from the east brought it in here, said it was made from some sort of hopping rodent or something, I am afraid I just don't know much about whips, but that crook Azis two stalls over wanted it really bad when he saw it. Figured I would hold on to it just to screw with the man... if you want it though it is yours."

You pick up the whip and enter Ian's practice room, you begin trying to "throw" the whip, it handles beautifully, great range (you would estimate six to seven feet), good movement, the braiding is expertly done, it is damn near perfect... you know this in the core of your being but you are not sure how you know it...

Ian sells you the whip (and some of the lubricant he uses to keep it supple) for a fair price, well to be honest he is definitely cutting you a deal, you thank him and as you go to shake his hand he scoops you up in his great arms and practically squeezes the life out of you. Returning you to your feet, he wipes a tear from his eye and again warns you to be careful and tells you to come visit him more often.

Leaving Ian's shop you move to the part of the bazaar that specializes in the manufacture of armour, you are here to see old Rin. It has been years since you last saw her as neither yourself nor your master wore much in the way of armour but he always said that if you needed protection Rin was the person to ask.

You stand in the doorway looking into her shop and can hardly make out any details given the complete darkness that confronts you, you hesitate, maybe she is not in?

The voice of a woman assails you from the darkness; "Well don't just stand there in the doorway, if you are going to shop then come inside."

As you step into the darkness the door slams shut behind you and the lamps in the shop burst to light, you yelp and the voice giggles.

Thoughts rush through your head, is she a mage? Is this a trap? But you calm yourself and examine the surroundings, tiny yet strong treads run along the walls and floors. You can only just make them out due to your years of dungeon raiding, some run to the ignition devices on the lamps and some to the door. She is no mage just a squirrely old woman that likes to scare her clients, you sign in relief.

"Okay, Ren that was a great joke but come out now or I am leaving," you state in as calm a tone as you can muster

"Alright, alright; kids these days have no sense of humour. So what can I do for you?"

"I need a nice suit of armour." You examine the shelves filled with various varieties of protective wear... padded wool, plate, mail, scale, helmets, shields, gauntlets, greaves, she has it all and it is all expertly crafted. You will admit your respect for the old bat is growing.

You turn to Ren, you already know what you want, leather armour, heavy enough for protection but light enough to not limit your movements.

You tell Ren this, she nods and reaches behind the counter. She places a pair of knee high boots, gloves and a thong on the table and gives you a wide grin, "Here you are dearie, these will make you very popular I imagine."

That damn grin of hers would drive you into a rage if you were not completely aware that, that is what she wants. Instead you calm yourself and take out your purse, jingling it in front of the smith so that she can hear how full it is.

With the prospect of actual money on the table her mischievous grin instantly transforms to a polite and warm smile. "Well, why didn't you tell me you actually had money, wasting our time like that, kids are just so slow these days..."

She goes back into her store room and brings out an excellent suit of Tyrian leather, straight from the Province she promises. Ren leads you back into her fitting room and begins poking, prodding and measuring every inch of you, standard procedure for custom fitted armour but you still feel a bit violated. You figure it has something to do with the big grin she is wearing through it all.

As the two of you return to the front of the shop she is all business, she starts by quoting an exorbitant sum and you manage to haggle her down a bit but you still feel like you are being ripped off. Oh well at least the armour really is of good quality.

You arrange to have the armour delivered to Thaïs' safehouse tomorrow morning when the alterations are done. You open the door to leave but as you turn to leave the shop, Ren whistles to get you attention; "Sure you don't want the boots and smallclothes dearie?" and that damned grin reappears.

You choke down telling her off and turn to leave when the lights cut out and she whistles at you again, you turn just in time to duck a small wooden buckler that is winging its way towards your head. You pick it up off the ground and admire the quality of its craftmanship for just a moment, then Ren chimes in from the darkness, "I like you kid but you really have to work on your people skills; take the buckler, it is on the house..."

Shaking your head you step back into the light, not completely certain that it all was not a bad dream...

-----------------------------------------------------------

It took a few more hours of weaving between customers and carts to get to the tiny alley in which the magical shops are located. Since mages prefer privacy and don't really want each other knowing what they are buying the alleyway is enshrouded in powerful illusion magics, it looks empty but you know that it is filled with mages coming and going, magic hiding the sight and the sound of them. You enter the alley and queue up to the right of a large yellow line drawn down its length, a light overhead turns green giving you the go ahead to proceed.

Your master explained the system to you once. Due to the powerful illusions in the ally you will not be able to see or hear anything living. The line flashes at points where a mage is next to it so you just have to watch the line and walk down the length of the alley till you get to your destination., since you can not see or hear the other customers you all have to follow the rules and move in the same direction. A delicious piece of irony that your own mutual mistrust leads to a system that completely hinges on trust but such are the workings of mages. As you contemplate the situation you bump into something in front of you, oops, you were not paying close enough attention to the line. You almost apologise but stop yourself, whatever it is it can't hear you anyway...

You make your way around to your stop, a large shop with two separate doors; as you approach the "in" door it is locked. Right, only one customer at a time, you wait about five minutes until the "out" door opens, for a brief second you think you can see the other customer, all tentacles and horror, but the illusions kick in and it disappears. You step into the shop and see the Old Crone herself perched behind the counter.

"Oh it is you..." she says in a neutral if strained tone, her features flat.

You match her tone and manners as best you can; "Just come to make a purchase."

She comes out from behind the counter; "Good cause I don't care for window shoppers..."

You grin just a little; "Well not like you could do anything about it..."

Now she has the smallest trace of a smile on her face; "Kid I have forgotten more about magic than you or Henry ever knew," with the mention of your master's name she drops the charade and gives you a large hug which you promptly return; "How are you kid, and where is Henry?"

You tell her about Henry's demise and she invites you into the back of the shop; "It must have been terrible child..."

"Oh Madb it was, one moment he was there and the next gone." You reply, still wounded from his passing.

You ask her about the shop and what she has been up to and Madb asks you what you have been up to and you tell her the basics, that you are on another run and that you are excited to actually be organizing this one but you leave out the bit about the stone.

If Henry was like a father to you then Madb has been like a mother but the very first thing she ever taught you was to never trust another mage without a very good reason, especially one as powerful as she is. So you lie a little and she lies a lot and you both know it and it changes nothing, you are family.

After an hour or so in conversation the "in" door shakes a little, it does not emit any sound but a line must be forming out there. Madb laughs at the thought of it and as much as she would love leaving a half-dozen archmages and eldritch monstrosities piled up outside her door she does have to return to work so you place your order. A handful of Energon cubes (you count 6), a scroll of firebolt, and 3 Mandrake roots, she also throws in a ball of regular, mundane twine for when you get lost she says with a wink.

You exchange the money for the goods and she plants a single kiss on your forehead telling you to be careful and to come back anytime you like. And with that you are back out in the silence of the alley and something bumps into you and you hurry along back out into the bazaar proper.

Your little shopping trip ate up most of the day, but you still have the evening ahead of you and you wonder what to do with it. This could be your last night above ground for a while, how do you want to spend it?

A) Gareth and Tyrvard will probably be at the bar by now, you should go drink with them, it will pass the time, keep out the cold and the dark and you may come to understand the two men better.

B) Serpent knows of a little tea house nearby that he highly recommends, you could go there and get a proper drink and something to eat, maybe the physician will also be there

C) Thaïs should be at the safehouse by now, organizing all the supplies that you sent over. You really should help her and it will give the two of you time to talk.

D) The night is yours, you go for a walk through the inhabited section of the city, if this will be your last night above ground for some time then you want to watch the stars.

E) Voter's Choice, got an idea just let me know

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Current Tally:
A) Gareth and Tyrvard 3 vote
B) Serpent 2 votes
C) Thaïs 6 votes
D) Walk under the Stars 2 vote

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom