Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Free Adventure RPG Heroine's Quest Released

V_K

Arcane
Negative:
-There are some unavoidable fights towards the end, for which you may be ill-prepared if you play a mostly non-combat character. There are ways to somewhat counter it, though.

How is that a negative?
Well, to be completely honest it's more of a minor annoyance then a full-blown negative point. But the game all but assumes that as a non-warrior class you'd be skipping most of the combats, so having to fight certain tough opponents unprepared wasn't a nice surprise.

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
Sorceresses and warriors are meant to be able to fight. I don't think the game quite gives off the idea that you should avoid fights as a sorceress, especially given the number of offensive spells, but it might come down to expectations :) Yes, you can avoid some fights with magic, but the idea in general is that the most magical way possible is taken, and I believe there is only really one real puzzle (which I can think of at this moment) where you can avoid a fight by using magic.

The thief guild sequence doesn't count as you wouldn't have predicted that a fight would or would not have been avoidable.

Rogues on the other hand, can get away with not fighting, as that is a subtle/stealth character.

V_K

Arcane
Sorceresses and warriors are meant to be able to fight. I don't think the game quite gives off the idea that you should avoid fights as a sorceress, especially given the number of offensive spells
Well, there's a Shadow spell you can get right from the start and use to avoid every single random combat (and at least one non-random one :D), and the first plot-relevant fight is only at the end of chapter 2. Also most offensive spells have non-combat uses (Flame Aura for example is a ton more useful outside of combat that in fight).

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
Yeah, I suppose for players that tend to avoid fights that that particular puzzle/plot scenario gives the idea that there could be a magical way out of things in future encounters. I personally never avoided combat encounters myself because I wanted to kill everything for loot, so I never even gave it a second thought while playing!

Norfleet

Wow, 450 MB for this? I wouldn't have expected something so old-fashioned to be so massively bloated. How much bloatware did they pack into this?

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
You don't need to download it if it exceeds your bandwidth :P.

Over 200mbs for the voice pack, and 90mb for the music pack. The rest is graphics, and code (and there is a lot of code in the game - 286,000 words or 45,000 lines of text).

Norfleet

I was just saying, in the old days, such a game fit on no more than a handful of floppies. This new incarnation seems rather bloated in comparison, and it certainly isn't because of the graphics.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fizzii Any chance you could put the soundtrack up for download? Perhaps as part of a deluxe digital edition for those who donate? I really like the track that plays when you're in the Adventurer's Hall.

V_K

Arcane
I was just saying, in the old days, such a game fit on no more than a handful of floppies. This new incarnation seems rather bloated in comparison, and it certainly isn't because of the graphics.
QfG4 with the voice pack is more than 500MB. And HQ's gameworld is at least twice as large as QfG4.

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
Crooked Bee - we did intend to have an AGS Jukebox to run the music, but there were some issues with getting it to share the same music vox file as Heroine's Quest.exe.

I don't have the music source files, so I'm checking with the programmer and the composers about this. I'll post here if we get something up :)

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
Downloading now. It should fulfill QfG desires until QfI and Mages Initiation are released

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well he's right to an extent, in that skilled lower tier programming can be more efficient. But it's takes an unnecessary length of time compared to the alternative.

And in modern days, complaining about a 400 mb sized game is just ridiculous. Maybe if you're using a 20 year old computer, or a 1 kb/s internet connection, but otherwise, no.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
however, patches of digital products should definitely be patches to setups *engages in futile rant about the convenience of delta patching and the evils of drm*

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Wow, this game is incredible. As usual, the voice acting is a complete waste of time, but the overall look, feel, atmosphere, and feature list are great.

As always happens in my QfG games, I initially selected sorcerer, then felt this intense sense of discomfort in the stats screen, whereupon I immediately quit and restarted with a thief. I really have a hard time playing these games with anything but a thief.

Last edited:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
For all the flak the voice acting is getting, I usually dislike it too, but I feel it's very well done here despite the limited resources.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
For all the flak the voice acting is getting, I usually dislike it too, but I feel it's very well done here despite the limited resources.
I agree that it's well-done, so I should clarify. It's like having shoelaces and velcro on your Air Jordans. Gold-plated shoelaces.

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
I think in general, there are some people who really like to have voice acting in a game, and others who don't. But either way, everyone would agree that if there is voice acting, the voices must be suitable and not horrible. And fortunately, the voices can be muted for those who prefer playing without it.

We weren't originally planning on having a voice pack; but Radiant (programmer/writer) wanted one because there are a lot of people who would overlook a game because of a lack of voice acting (as has happened with our last big adventure game, A Tale of Two Kingdoms). I agreed to run the auditions to see if there were any good or suitable voice actors willing to help; and if there weren't, we wouldn't have done it. As it turned out, we had an overwhelming number of auditions, and many great voice actors wanted to help, so we went ahead with the voice pack. And I can't say I regret running the voice pack organisation, it was a great experience for me and I got to know and work with some great people.

So that's how we ended up with a voice pack in our game - and it's there if you like to have voices for the atmosphere, and it can be turned off if you prefer the atmosphere of the game without voices. Options depending on how you like your game :)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
That said I think the voice acting in the game is pretty good by indie standards.

Yeah, the voices are pretty good, and combined with the portrait art styles, they kind of remind me of Wiz8.

daev3000

Novice
I wasn't able to get the Hqx filters mentioned in acsetup.cfg to work, and couldn't find any kind of list of available filters on the AGS documentation either.

To get the Hq2x and Hq3x filters to work, you also have to set gfxdriver=DX5. Have fun!

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Looks cool, I dislike playing with female pcs though. Guess I'll have to rp playing a trap, out of QfG nostalgia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom