Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
You mean i have to... google it?

what are these, the middle ages? ffs...

-edit-

ok, so? why is it W - tari? whats with the fing W?

(the cant actually use the name "atari"?)

- wow, what a big deal... :snore:

:nocountryforshitposters:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Welp, just encountered the AG Center bug which crashes the game after you've completed the mission and try to leave the building.
Goddammit :mad: That bug can seriously suck my nuts.

I figured out what causes this bug. I went through the Ag Center bit by bit, testing between every action whether it was still possible to leave the Central Complex. The cause is saving Julio from the fucking rabbits. Something about entering the Western Greenhouse, making your way to Julio, killing the rabbits, ending the quest by speaking to Julio, or talking to Julio about Doc Larsen, has to be the cause of this bug. I submitted a bug report to Centercode with my game files from before and after saving Julio, with that being the only difference. The bug report is WLCC-2864.
:bro:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I use a PC but I have C6 and and C1E power saving off on my CPU by default. So that probably will not help.

Maybe Speedstep can be enabled with C1E and C-states disabled. You can check in your power options in Windows, if there's a minimal CPU power setting then speedstep is enabled.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, I found some rad suits now, and I have a dozen blood packs to spare. I don't know if there is anything interesting IN the rad zones though, I've found one cache but that's it.
There is a good armor and a good sniper rifle in the rad zones. I just went in to look around.

I dont think there is that much more to do in the game right now. I have atleast not found any zone that you can play in.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Maybe Speedstep can be enabled with C1E and C-states disabled. You can check in your power options in Windows, if there's a minimal CPU power setting then speedstep is enabled.

No I have my motherboard set up optimally for performance, and Windows power settings as well, if you meant me.

I get over 100-120 FPS in E:C and SRR in comparison - other unity games

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Agree - first two pages are like "Wasteland 2 is really good" then on page 3 "Actually Wasteland 2 isn't so good, in fact it's current state is unacceptable", kind of contradictory but I can kinda see why the 'review' is that way because we want people to buy the game.

Also disagree on the cover system. It's pretty shit. Needs unit cover and with the combat examples I've seen it has actually been a detriment to the AI to go and run behind cover. But I have not played the Rail Nomads camp yet.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Well, previewing a game at early beta alpha stage is hard. The basic stuff is set in place, but everything that matters to determine if it's a fantastic game or a disappointment is still being added, rebalanced or considered... there's not really much you can say without entering "is still a beta" territory. Even the cover system we're talking about, it all changes if they add the stances...

Sea's positive tone is probably just to convey "yes, from here they can make a good game". And that's true, it all depends on what they do.

CWagner

Augur
Yeah, I found some rad suits now, and I have a dozen blood packs to spare. I don't know if there is anything interesting IN the rad zones though, I've found one cache but that's it.

No as far as I know, but at least you can explore now :P

Raapys

Arcane
I generally like the feel and flow of the game(except the abysmal performance), but there does seem to be a lot of stuff "missing", and I'm not really convinced they'll manage to magically improve so much stuff in the little time that's left.

But even if I'm right, I do think it'll turn out to be a game I'll enjoy. I definitely found the gameplay itself enjoyable. And hopefully it's something they can continue building on in the future, with all the systems and whatnot already in place. Shouldn't be too expensive to create some feature and content-rich expansions or sequels after that.

Sensuki

Arcane
Well, previewing a game at early beta alpha stage is hard.

Well technically it's not even at alpha because it's not feature complete - they made the same mistake as Aterdux by calling it a beta, should have called it an 'early alpha' or something.

I have a feeling that the Torment development will be a lot more strict and structured under ksaun

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I went back to playing Underrail last night, as a sort of post-apocalyptic comparison between both in terms of Combat and UI design, and i have to say that underrail, for a such a small budgeted game, is really onto something truly inspiring with its simple and functional UI design and awesome turned based combat.

Inxile should really take a look at what styg is doing, how his UI design works (From the skill quick access menu, to the bullet count, to the quest log and crafting system, it shows that a lot of thought was put into it)and how the turned based system is setup (with range penalties, simple targeting, melee accuracy, inventory and action action point penalties).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Doesn't it say it's feature-complete on the steam page?
"BASICALLY" feature-complete:

This game’s basically feature-complete. We’re including 30% of the game levels so you can see how Wasteland 2 plays: AI, gear, inventory, creatures, line-of-sight, exploration, world-maps, fast travel, dialogue, and more. Oh yeah: you’ll also get to test out the combat system.

Marketing-speak at is finest.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
"Basically" must be one of those marketing things. Like when you see a list of features that ends in "and much more" you know there really isn't anything more, "basically" probably means "not".

skyst

Augur
There are so many fucking oases, it's like the land of milk and honey. Radiation and mountains mean there aren't that many walkable zones.

I had the same thought. Really, what's the point to even having an overworld map at this point? Water is intended to be a scarce resource, yet it is available around every turn. The radiation clouds can just be walked through and then you heal up after spending a few minutes running around a town or using a doctor. You can't discover towns without advancing the plot to reveal them.

So no exploration, no risk, no reward (lol caches)... what's the point?

I could see it working if the map was either 10x larger and nearly absent of oases or you could carry considerably less water. A trek out into the wastes should be an ordeal, something not taken lightly, something requiring lots of advance planning and preparation. Currently there is no reason not to full-clear the map for all of the caches and random encounted xp/loot the second you leave Ranger Citadel for the first time, and that just doesn't make any sense.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There are so many fucking oases, it's like the land of milk and honey. Radiation and mountains mean there aren't that many walkable zones.

I had the same thought. Really, what's the point to even having an overworld map at this point? Water is intended to be a scarce resource, yet it is available around every turn. The radiation clouds can just be walked through and then you heal up after spending a few minutes running around a town or using a doctor. You can't discover towns without advancing the plot to reveal them.

So no exploration, no risk, no reward (lol caches)... what's the point?

I could see it working if the map was either 10x larger and nearly absent of oases or you could carry considerably less water. A trek out into the wastes should be an ordeal, something not taken lightly, something requiring lots of advance planning and preparation. Currently there is no reason not to full-clear the map for all of the caches and random encounted xp/loot the second you leave Ranger Citadel for the first time, and that just doesn't make any sense.
Combine that with auto-heal in locations and the fact that you can stroll through radioactive areas without any worry, and travel poses no risk whatsoever. Outdoorsman is useful more as a way to save ammo, although I have yet to have a random encounter, so even that is rather theoretical.

skyst

Augur
I tend to walk away from random encounters with more ammo than I came in with, barring the rare animal encounters (where a Rad Fly had a combat taunt dialogue pop up). Raiders typically have 12HP and get 1 shot by Angela or my sniper and if there are wastelanders in the mix, they have 5HP each and can be easily killed with no consequence for even more loot!

The wastes are so... plentiful.

The combat, in general, needs a tune-up. The Ag Center is so rife with combat and the enemies there are so armor-happy (and don't drop bullets) that you literally are forced to kill everything with your fists.

Also, the difficulty of this game is like night and day if you try playing with low awareness/coordination rangers. Those stats are much too powerful in comparison to all the rest right now, there is literally no reason to give up those stats in favor of luck, strength
I consider this contradictory, I would prefer the ag center stay overrun, it's supposed to be, I've no problem with more challenge, but forcing you to use your fists is a good thing. If anything, since many are going on about how coordination is overpowered I'd look at nerfing the damage of exploding pod people, or at least giving the explosion a delay, I didn't use my fists as much as I should have as I was scared of getting a crit and getting pwned by the pod people. Although that does lend itself to startegy, I'd still prefer it to be nerfed somewhat, I was wearing heavy armor and I still took way too much damage from what is basically a glorified seed carrier.

Agreed on Charisma though, does anyone have any idea what Charisma does? Does it do anything at all??

Edit:
Another thing I'd like to see are some boss encounters, I only went to ag center second so idk if there is one, but a big giant plant boss would be cool, or a giant cockroach in highpool.

Last edited:
I think Wasteland 2 BETA is awesome.
And yes, you can call it pre-Alpha, Post-Beta, Full-of-crap-gamma.
And yes, it's full of bugs and not-as-perfect-as-it-should-be (still a beta...).

But, the bottom line is: It's the best game I've played this year even though it's a beta.
And as i can see it, after 1000 replies in this thread, it's a fact that people really care about this game.

It's far from perfect.
There's so much more to do and add.
But this game is the closest thing to Fallout-alike experience I've had in years.

And the good news are: with you guys, it'll only get better!!!

So, thank you inXile and RPG Codex for making this possible !!! :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom