Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
I find it hilarious that treave is one of the most consistent, fast writers I've ever seen and people still keep on bugging him for more. Chill, dudes, the update will be out when it's out.
This. Honestly, treave has done more writing on these let's plays than I ever could have expected.
Victim of his own success, this shit is like cocaine, I just can't get enough.
For some reason, I am imagining them as visual novels. It just fits.

I am missing the music from the second part of EPIC. This was a great way to set up the mood.
Nah, CRPGs kickstarted through Obsidian and/or InXile.
One can dream, huh?

Anabanana

Augur
The problem with rewriting these into visual novels is the staggering amount of extra writing treave would have to do for all those alternate routes Codex never went down.

Sorry, did I say problem? I meant AWESOME.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's impossible to do this, I know. The alternate paths in Epic covered everything from 6000 BC to the not-so-distant future. Rewriting them is like rewriting the history of humanity several times over. I understand fully that the only format the story could have existed and keep its Epic feel (writing your own world's history) is in its CYOA form.

This universe, however, is quite a bit smaller in scope (but then again, we are only in Chapter 2 and the main plot didn't reveal itself yet), so who knows? :)

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The problem with rewriting these into visual novels is the staggering amount of extra writing treave would have to do for all those alternate routes Codex never went down.

Sorry, did I say problem? I meant AWESOME.
Oh, no. I'm not saying they'd have to be multiple choice novels. I'm saying just retool it into a novel with a normal narrative with a 3rd person narrative perspective perspective, rather than a 2nd person one. (edit: it may even be possible to leave the perspective intact, but remove the multiple choice aspect.) Most of the plot, action and dialog is already written. It just needs to be retooled for a standard perspective and have some extra stuff added in to compensate for not having in thread explanations and the various devices that go along with it being an LP.

The point is, retool it into a novel that tells a single story, rather than a multiple choice, choose your own adventure novel.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
ERYFKRAD - B
Kipeci - D
Baltika9 - D
Nevill - D
Absinthe - A
Tigranes - A
XenomorphII - A
Kashmir Slippers - A
Lambchop19 - C2 > D
ScubaV - A
TOME - A
Esquilax - D
Grimgravy - D
asxetos - D
Jester - A
Azira - A
Anabanana - D
Rex Feral - D
Ifeex - D
Omicron - D
a bear named spigot - A
Smashing Axe - A
obiter dictum - A
Elfberserker - D
Nim - D
Bloodshifter - D
The Brazilian Slaughter - D

Final tally:
A - 11
B - 1
C2 - 1
D - 14

Nevill

Arcane
It's his fault his choice didn't get voted for.

Disclaimer: I don't play blame games.

Anabanana

Augur
I feel like everyone's has been in much better mental health ever since Azira became the resident scapegoat. Thank you for performing this essential service for us, Azira!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Two Masters of the Fort

The fortress of the Black Dragon Society is an interesting construct. Built in the days of the Han dynasty, it was once a dilapidated fort on the outskirts of what would become Xiangyang. In the hands of the Society, however, they had built down, not up. Rather than turning the fortress into a more defensible location by strengthening its walls, they had instead chosen to tunnel deep into the earth. It was rumoured that there were a hundred and eight secret exits and entrances to the fortress, each filled with deadly traps against outsiders. Of course, as with every rumour that gets bandied about, it is most likely mere exaggeration.

“Is it true that there a hundred and eight secret tunnels leading out of this place?” you ask one of the guards at the gate. He peers at you suspiciously, hefting his spear into a ready position. “Who’s asking?”

“My name is Xu Jing. I seek an audience with your leader,” you say politely. Yunzi and Xiahou Yu stand quietly behind, having agreed – Yunzi grudgingly so – to leave the talking to you. The guard snorts at you. “Who? Our leaders are not free today, so get out of here before I make you.”

“I said,” you repeat, stepping closer, “I am Xu Jing of Maniac Island. I want to see your bosses now.” The guard’s spear lowers threateningly at your approach, but you merely stare contemptuously at the point of his weapon aimed at your throat. Then, you grin, baring your teeth. Your eyes meet his. The guard shrinks back slightly, not knowing whether to think you confident or foolhardy. “H-hold on, Xu Jing, was it?” interrupts his comrade. “Maniac Island? Disciple of the Southern Maniac? Just wait here for a second!” It takes many long minutes instead of a second, but during that time the guard never lowers his spear, nor do you take a step back. When the second guard returns, panting, he gives you the okay to proceed – the masters of the Black Dragon Society have deigned to meet you.

The leaders of the Black Dragon Society are two brothers – Hei Zuolong and Hei Youlong. The former is the elder, and a weaselly looking man, while the latter is the younger, and built much like a bear with almost as much hair to match. You have not seen them in action, but they are renowned as martial artists. Hei Youlong is the first to speak as the three of you enter the audience hall.

“What is Zhang Jue’s disciple doing here?” He does not seem too pleased at your presence, though there is a faint smile on his older brother’s face.

“I found myself passing through Xiangyang and decided to come pay respect to my elders in the jianghu, in hopes that we may be bestowed a favour,” you reply. “That is what I am doing here.”

“I see. It is an agreeable trait in youngsters to be respectful.” says Hei Zuolong, his voice thin and sharp. Hei Youlong, on the other hand, has a grim expression. “A favour? What favour is it?” he asks. You shrug. “A simple favour, one that is entirely within your power to grant, I am sure. My friend here has an acquaintance that you are keeping under custody. A woman with a red mark on her face. He would like to speak with her for a personal reason.”

The younger Hei brother frowns. “That traitor? What makes you think you can just walk in here and ask for that?”

“I don’t,” you say. “If this favour is granted I will be in your debt.”

Hei Zuolong laughs suddenly. “A trade of favours?” His eyes fix themselves upon you keenly – you do not like his stare. “Oh, I have heard of your exploits, Xu Jing. Winning the martial arts competition, defeating a hundred men. For someone whose name has just emerged in the pugilistic world you seem to be making some rather interesting waves. Very impressive.”

“I appreciate the compliment, Master Hei,” you bow.

“A trade of favours,” he repeats to himself, before chuckling. “You know that I cannot trust you to keep your word, right?” You frown. “What are you implying?”

“You do not exactly have a reputation for being… reliable,” says Hei Zuolong with relish. “You are a free spirit – you do what suits you at any given time. Any favour I trade with you will be only on your terms; you would break your oath with no qualms if you ever disliked the way I call in your debt. I think that is hardly fair. It would be rather difficult to deal with you.”

“Judge not a man by idle gossip, Master Hei,” you say. “I am not the sort to disregard a debt. We do not ask for much in the first place.”

“But you do,” says Zuolong, leaning forward while his eyes gleam. “Some very important people have taken an interest in our female guest here. If we let you see her, who knows what could happen? I could find myself dead over this.”

“This is a waste of time,” growls Youlong. “Brother, let me throw them out and be done with it.”

“Oh, I don’t know,” muses Zuolong. “Someone who knows her and wants to speak to her could also be a person of interest to our client, regardless of their reason...”

You hear Yunzi tapping her feet behind you. She is getting slightly impatient with the lack of progress; it looks like she would prefer to retreat and attempt another approach. Looking straight at Hei Zuolong, you say, “If there is nothing I can say to change your mind, perhaps we will take our leave.”

“Oh, don’t be so hasty. I would not send an acquaintance of Liu Chanfeng’s away without letting them meet – in fact, I insist that you allow me to do so. I was just testing your sincerity,” replies the weaselly man, grinning. He waves his hand. Though you do not see them, you hear the footsteps of a few dozen men shifting into position outside the hall. “I also do not want to cross your master, so I will help you out, and you will owe me a little favour. It is your friend, the bookish fellow over there, that wants to speak with the woman, no? I will let him meet with her. Not alone, of course. One of you will go along with him. The other will stay here until their meeting is done. For security purposes, you see.”

You glance back at your companions. Yunzi is glaring at you – she knows full well what situation the three of you are in right now. Hei Zuolong has made the offer in a manner that you cannot refuse. It would be suicidal to attempt to escape the fortress at this point. You would not get ten steps from the hall before being cut down by the enemy - pugilists are one thing, but you have seen the mercenaries training with bows on your way in, and you are not confident in your ability to avoid a rain of arrows. You are not sure what is going through the Black Dragon master’s mind to suddenly make this offer, but you do not trust him. Xiahou Yu, on the other hand, is looking at you calmly. He nods; he is signalling for you to accept the offer.

A. You accept the offer. You do not see any other choice for now; perhaps there will be an opening for you to take advantage of later.
1. You select Yunzi to go with Xiahou Yu, while you stay in the hall. It may be better for you to deal directly with the masters and talk to them while they are here.
2. You go along with Xiahou Yu so that you can oversee his conversation with Liu Chanfeng. Yunzi can take care of herself even if you leave her alone.

B. You reject the offer; if he is going to attack you, so be it. It could, as unlikely as it is, be a bluff… or you could be lucky enough to escape from the midst of their fortress. Whatever it is, you will not be forced to go on the Black Dragon Society’s terms.

Anabanana

Augur
A2

Let's go do what we came here for. Yunzi may be impatient, but she's fully aware of the situation we're in right now.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I don't know. We do not need to be present during the meeting of Yu and Changfeng... if those two brothers aren't plotting something, which I have no doubt they do.

We can't bring up sensitive topics with Changfeng while we are being watched. So maybe it would be best to stay with the brothers? We have 5 Speech and we have enough PER to judge their motives by their reaction.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A2, I think.
Might be that Yunzi could provoke Changfeng into talking better than we could convince her to speak, there's that to consider.

Nevill

Arcane
Then again, if they take Yunzi hostage, we can bring the whole Fire Cult on them. Zhang isn't going to come rescue us if we get caught.

Somehow I get the feeling like being with Yu is a more predictable, and thus a safer move. They will use Yunzi as a leverage against us, though.

Esquilax

Arcane
You are not sure what is going through the Black Dragon master’s mind to suddenly make this offer, but you do not trust him. Xiahou Yu, on the other hand, is looking at you calmly. He nods; he is signalling for you to accept the offer.

I think that Yu has a plan here - he's the most intelligent and level-headed person in our party, and we have to trust him here. He obviously thinks that accepting the offer is a good idea, but under what terms, exactly? Would A1 or A2 be more consistent with his plans? That's the real question here.

I'm thinking that A1 is more in line with his train of thought here. I am reluctant to leave Yunzi with these guys; she is already nervous as is, and the more time she spends with a shrewd, observant guy like Hei Zuolong, the more likely it is that they'll notice that there's something off about her. She may hide her face in public, but this man strikes me as the sort who is extremely perceptive:

It is your friend, the bookish fellow over there, that wants to speak with the woman, no? I will let him meet with her. Not alone, of course. One of you will go along with him.

Before Yu even said a word, this man immediately knew that it was Scholarbro that was the one who wanted to talk to Chanfeng. I believe that the longer Yunzi lingers around, the more likely it is that Hei Zuolong's keen, "testing" inquiries are going to uncover more about her identity.

It's also important to note that from their perspective, A1 just makes more sense and is less likely to trigger suspicion: we've been doing all the talking so far, and we are the leader of the group, so it falls to us to deal with the masters and talk to them.

A1

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
Before Yu even said a word, this man immediately knew that it was Scholarbro that was the one who wanted to talk to Chanfeng. I believe that the longer Yunzi lingers around, the more likely it is that Hei Zuolong's keen, "testing" inquiries are going to uncover more about her identity.
Uh... Zuolong is smart, but he is no Holmes:
Jing said:
"My friend here has an acquaintance that you are keeping under custody. A woman with a red mark on her face. He would like to speak with her for a personal reason.”

Baltika9

Arcane
There's also this,
“But you do,” says Zuolong, leaning forward while his eyes gleam. “Some very important people have taken an interest in our female guest here. If we let you see her, who knows what could happen? I could find myself dead over this.”

“This is a waste of time,” growls Youlong. “Brother, let me throw them out and be done with it.”

“Oh, I don’t know,” muses Zuolong. “Someone who knows her and wants to speak to her could also be a person of interest to our client, regardless of their reason...”
I don't think that letting Yu wander about the fortress without any sort of backup is a bright idea, this guy is throwing implied threats left and right. And it seems that the younger brother wants a piece of us:
The leaders of the Black Dragon Society are two brothers – Hei Zuolong and Hei Youlong. The former is the elder, and a weaselly looking man, while the latter is the younger, and built much like a bear with almost as much hair to match. You have not seen them in action, but they are renowned as martial artists. Hei Youlong is the first to speak as the three of you enter the audience hall.

“What is Zhang Jue’s disciple doing here?” He does not seem too pleased at your presence, though there is a faint smile on his older brother’s face.
So at least we have a topic for conversation. I don't like the rat-faced bastard one bit, and leaving him with someone as impulsive as Yunzi isn't too bright an idea, Esquilax is right about that. Guard duty it is.
A1.

Nevill

Arcane
Yes, Yunzi is no diplomat. We are, and we have the technique to observe their reactions better.

I think we should keep their attention on ourselves. A1.

Baltika9

Arcane
I just hope that the living rug doesn't decide to pick a fight today of all days.

asxetos

Augur
A1
I trust scholar-bro to get all the info from Chanfeng without us being there, but i do not trust Yunzi alone with the two masters.
Plus we might get some extra info about the BDS if we stay back.

Tigranes

Arcane
A1. Now we're here let's go through with it, and hope nobody figures out we are crippled. I can't imagine Yu wants to break her out or anything, and I am assuming the three have discussed a ghost-plan.

Of course, if Yu/Yunzi want to double-cross us and start hiding info from us now is the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom