Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tigranes

Arcane
I feel terrible for encouraging the r00fles brigade in the tournament to shore up some of the votes. What's especially troubling is that voting for this sidequest are the very ones who swore that they'd avoid pointless side quests to pursue the only real lead we have. I mean... really, of all the things we could do on the side we go with hunting for apparitions?

I'm incredibly butthurt that pursuing the investigation was one of the big arguments put against joining up with the righteous fire cult and now we aren't even pretending to stay on the plot rails here.

A thousand times this. Hey guys, what was the point of the whole pirate episode? NOTHING! Oh, you got a cool fight scene and some contextual skill increases? This is a CYOA we would get that wherever we go and whatever we do, except in this case we also decide to actively ignore everything important to Xu Jing, as well.

C > B.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tigranes said:
Hey guys, what was the point of the whole pirate episode? NOTHING!
What is the point of the whole game?

Tigranes said:
Oh, you got a cool fight scene and some contextual skill increases? This is a CYOA we would get that wherever we go and whatever we do
Or you get a BAD END. Or you get a plot development that disgusts you so much you abandon the story. I'd say that I find a skill increase, a rare technique, and an ally where we couldn't hope to find one a tad better than "NOTHING!". This was a high risk/high reward choice, and we got our reward alright. Not to mention that we have crafted a totally badass story in the process, fitting of the 'Legend' title.

I am not even sure, are you implying that every choice is as good as the other one? :? Then why are you even bothering to argue against people's choices?

Tigranes

Arcane
Try reading the second half of that sentence. You're a smart guy, but sometimes you just get really, really tunnel visioned.

Nevill

Arcane
Tigranes said:
Try reading the second half of that sentence.
Well, I don't think that the mission is everything that is important to Xu Jing. In fact, I actively seek to develop him into a character that cares more about people than about abstract concepts like loyalty. In this partcular case, I want to win Yu over to my side when the inevitable confrontation with Changfeng comes. Who knows, maybe together we can win her to our side?

And no, the first part of your post does not make more sense whether you read it with the second one or not. What was that about 'NOTHING!' and 'we would get the same things anyway' in relation to our previous choices?

Baltika9 said:
I'd say wanderlust and adventure are important to Jing as well.
Indeed. That, and I want to learn more abour our supernatural side. This seems like a good chance to do so.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I figure that the more we get sidetracked, the more chances we're giving our opponents... to wise up and surrender.

Tigranes

Arcane
My point is that we signed on to the pirate sidequest simply because (a) it was there, and (b) PIRATES! - a whim, and no expectation that this was a "high risk high reward" venture or anything else. Well, fine. We can take whimsical sidequests. But if we do, then we should remember why we took it and how much to prioritise it. Instead, we let the circumstances get to us, lose all sense of proportion, and start gambling our reputation and our life and everything else going OMG SAVE THE NICE NINJAS. Oh, I'm sure they're nice people, and that they're useful allies, and I said as much beforehand, too. But we've just gambled a lot of shit on something that's not ultimately important to any of Jing's main missions in any direct way. And now, we're injured to boot. So, do we wanna do that again? (a) hey, it's there, and (b) GHOSTS! let's take it? Or do we want to maintain some form of prudence and get on with what we need to do?

I probably would have also voted A for some supernatural hijinks if we hadn't just crippled ourselves against the pirates. But we did. And now it feels like we want to do that again.

Baltika9

Arcane
I still say that it is safer for us in the middle of nowhere with ghosts, a crazy Taoist monk and an alcoholic scholar; then it is in the middle of Chinese city after what we;ve just done. Jing can barely defend himself against a bandit right now,
Even in your weakened state you should still be able to take a single bandit, but if luck did not go your way it could be some martial arts master after your head.
if the locals decide they want a piece of us then, well, ouch.

Anabanana

Augur
I feel that both options are going to be equally risky; fox spirits can fight back real hard when they're pissed. Just saying.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I feel terrible for encouraging the r00fles brigade in the tournament to shore up some of the votes. What's especially troubling is that voting for this sidequest are the very ones who swore that they'd avoid pointless side quests to pursue the only real lead we have. I mean... really, of all the things we could do on the side we go with hunting for apparitions?

I'm incredibly butthurt that pursuing the investigation was one of the big arguments put against joining up with the righteous fire cult and now we aren't even pretending to stay on the plot rails here.
Welcome to the Codex, where :retarded: contradictory bullshit is just business as usual.
Funny was trying to get there before we were temporary crippled. ... When circumstances change you should rethink your plan imo
Circumstances have a way of changing when you don't prioritize the mission and go chasing after pirates and putting your life on the line for them.

Yes, we need to heal, but I think we could at least go after the WIB and monitor them - injuries or no. You never know when they might pack up shop and move on. Granted, checking them out would have been easier with stealth, but....

Esquilax

Arcane
Well, I don't think that the mission is everything that is important to Xu Jing. In fact, I actively seek to develop him into a character that cares more about people than about abstract concepts like loyalty. In this partcular case, I want to win Yu over to my side when the inevitable confrontation with Changfeng comes. Who knows, maybe together we can win her to our side?

And no, the first part of your post does not make more sense whether you read it with the second one or not. What was that about 'NOTHING!' and 'we would get the same things anyway' in relation to our previous choices?

We have no way of predicting what a hypothetical confrontation with Chanfeng would look like. It might involve Yu, circumstances could change, we might not confront her in the way that you're envisioning at all. My point here is that you seem to be implying that there is only one successful way that a confrontation with Chanfeng can go down in our favour: if we do so directly, with our true identity revealed to Yu. But we don't even know how a meeting with her would go down to begin with, so we can barely even begin to speculate. It all boils down to this for me: what's more important in the grand scheme of things? Going on some idiotic sidequest when we've already spent a good deal of time doing things unrelated to our goals, or (finally) making some headway to investigating the dark, underground world of the pugilistic sects... which is the entire overarching goal of our character? I didn't like the fact that we went on the pirate mission, but I was willing to see it through to the end and I thought that fighting the pugilist force would be good for our rep with the seedier side of the pugilistic world, so it was worth it to me, but this is just way too fucking much? When are we going to stop putting off doing what our character needs to do?

Really, there is absolutely no fucking reason to choose going on a ghost hunt over investigating our mission further. If you still want to go because lolghosts, fine, but don't rationalize it beyond that.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Night at the Mansion

A plain, gloomy ceiling makes itself the first thing your eyes see when they open. Your mind feels fuzzy, as if a dozen drunken martial artists had danced upon it with their tramping feet. It looks like you are in someone’s bedroom. A single candle is the only thing that shines in this place. There are windows, but it appears to be dark outside. The air is deathly still; there is no breeze to speak of, nor are there any insects singing their nocturnal song. Suddenly, a great flash of light illuminates the entire room. The thunder arrives just a beat behind, loud enough to rattle the wooden frames of the windows. Then, the silence of the night is abruptly disturbed by a torrent of rain, pouring down from the heavens without end as if Yu Shi desired to flood the world.

How did you get here? Your memories are still faint, but you vaguely recall meeting the Taoist Zhong Hai while sheltering from another thunderstorm with Xiahou Yu. The both of you had opted to follow him on an exorcism. After that, you had reached a village – you do not recall how long it took you to get there – where the elder had provided Zhong Hai with more details about his mission. It seems that ghosts had been kidnapping their young men, swooping down in the middle of the night and spiriting them away. The elder claimed that these men had been taken to an abandoned mansion up in the hills. You remember little after that, only that you had reached the mansion without any obstacles. There had been something off about the courtyard as you marched towards the entrance… horses? You recall seeing four horses, and wondering why there would be any. Then, you had stepped across the threshold of the main doors.

The next thing you knew, you were in this room.

You sit up on the admittedly comfortable bed and close your eyes. As you focus, the sound of the raindrops become sharper, each patter a distinct note to your ears. You breathe in, sensing the humid air and the slight breeze that has sprung up. The room is very dusty, rewarding you with an irritated nose. You sneeze. The temperature is cold – any colder and your breath would create puffs. You do not, however, hear any living thing.

Opening your eyes again, you get up from the bed. There is no other furniture here besides the bed and the table upon which the candle is set. From the dust, it does not seem like anyone has been in here for quite some time. You check your possessions; the talismans that Zhong Hai gave you are still there, folded up safely in your clothes. Plucking the candle from the table, you hold it out in front of you to light your way. You fumble for the door, pushing at it. It is locked, barred from within. You look around you again – there is no place for anyone to hide, not even under the small bed. The windows too are barred from the inside. How strange. It would be spooky, if not for the fact that Master Zhang once told you of a master assassin who could contort himself through the smallest spaces. Sadly, he found himself in a box one day, having been tricked by his mark, and ended up in several boxes soon after. This is not anything you would need to resort to ghosts to explain… you think.

Shrugging, you unbar the door and let yourself out.

The corridor outside is dimly lit, with little white lanterns lining the walls at far intervals. Here and there long strips of tattered cloth sway gently, hanging down from the ceiling to about the top of your head. They must have been decorations once, but they are too moth-eaten now for you to be sure. Some of the cloth strips are stained with rusty brown spatters, others tied into loops that you could probably fit a head through. A dyeing process gone wrong? The artistic tastes of the mansion’s inhabitants? You will never know, you suppose.

Looking to your left and right, the corridor seems to recede into infinite darkness. There seems to be no difference as to which way you pick. You decide to just step forward on a whim, your candle jutting out in front of you. The floorboards creak as you walk, almost in rhythm to the pouring rain and rumbling thunder. Here and there you try to see through the windows, but between the storm and the darkness you cannot make out a single thing outside of the mansion.

A slight chill runs through you for no reason, and you stop.

There appears to be a faint melody in the air – someone is humming a tune. There appears to be a door to your left that you have not noticed before. The lanterns in front of you seem to have gone dark – for some reason you do not quite understand, you feel goosebumps whenever you stare into the black void ahead. You turn around – it looks like the path you came from has also been swallowed up by darkness. Perhaps the lanterns have been blown out by a sudden gust of wind? Turning your attention to the room, you see that it is well-lit; you can see the glow of light through the windows. The pleasant voice is coming from somewhere within. It seems to be that of a girl, and the tune is strangely familiar to you; though you do not remember where you have heard it before, it must have been before you left the palace.

You hear the sound of water splashing unlike that of the rain outside. Whoever is inside is probably bathing…

A. You peek. You cannot call yourself a man if you don’t. Besides, there are very legitimate reasons for this, such as… reconnaissance. Yes, that is it. You need to find out who else is here besides you, Xiahou Yu and Zhong Hai. There were horses in the courtyard. There must be some living people here – why would ghosts need horses? If you do not look, you will not find out. Ergo, you must p… reconnoitre.

B. You do not peek. You are a gentleman. Such actions are very impolite. Of course you aren’t scared of possibly attracting the attention whatever is bathing within, it is just the rudeness of poking a hole through the paper and peering inside that you are against. Nothing to do with fear of the supernatural at all… nothing at all. In fact, to prove your gentlemanly guts, you will knock on the door and attempt to engage the bather in conversation. Politely.

C. You ignore the bather, opting to tread forward into the darkness alone despite the faint warning of your instincts.

Baltika9

Arcane
It seems that ghosts had been kidnapping their young men, swooping down in the middle of the night and spiriting them away.
One of those, eh?
Naturally, anything to do with danger should be avoided for now, I think, so the choice is between A and B.

To peek or not to peek, that is the question...

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Looks like Jing's luck with women seems to strike again.

I am little suspicious that we have been led right next bathing girl's room, yet going towards darkness is never good thing when ghosts are involved. This is obviously trap for us, but I am interested that Jing remembers the melody. We might get more clues about our origins if we interactive with the lady, but we would be dancing by the tune they have set....For now.

To peek or not to peek, truly interesting question or we could just walk away towards unknown.

Absinthe

Arcane
B. I'm not voting A because offending ghosts doesn't end well, and if they're not ghosts it still wouldn't help us. I'm not voting C because our instincts are warning us against that, and our character has Spiritual Instinct now, so I think we should go with our instincts. Besides with a Speech skill of 5 a polite conversation should be fine.

B. I'm not voting A because offending ghosts doesn't end well, and if they're not ghosts it still wouldn't help us. I'm not voting C because our instincts are warning us against that, and our character has Spiritual Instinct now, so I think we should go with our instincts. Besides with a Speech skill of 5 a polite conversation should be fine.
Ditto. Voting B.

Nevill

Arcane
Oh, God. How come this is even a choice? A.

Will elaborate later.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
I dunno about B, guys, this whole situation is showing me a huge red flag:
You sit up on the admittedly comfortable bed and close your eyes. As you focus, the sound of the raindrops become sharper, each patter a distinct note to your ears. You breathe in, sensing the humid air and the slight breeze that has sprung up. The room is very dusty, rewarding you with an irritated nose. You sneeze. The temperature is cold – any colder and your breath would create puffs. You do not, however, hear any living thing.
So we use our enhanced PER and we hear nothing going on in the house, no living breathing thing and definitely no melody or running water. We get out of the room and proceed down the corridor, where we see cloth strips with dried blood and fashioned into what are most likely nooses. Then we go down a little bit further and "feel a chill," suddenly both our passageways are clogged with an oppressive darkness and the only place even remotely welcoming is inside the room that we oddly haven't noticed before. Moreover, there are sounds of music and water coming from it, sounds that we haven't heard prior to leaving our room.

Everything in this situation is designed to elicit a particular response, where "outside=bad, scary and dangerous; inside=comfy, warm and bright." The ghost wants to be approached here, and since none of the men taken up to this mansion have returned alive, I'm not so keen on playing into this ghost's hands. It's either A or C for me, recon the area or go look for the expert. I definitely don't want to die here because we decided to "act the gentleman," like we lost the tournament in Quewu Square because we didn't want to cheat.
but I am interested that Jing remembers the melody. We might get more clues about our origins if we interactive with the lady
Did we just find Jing's real family?

Esquilax

Arcane
Bandwagoners, care to elaborate tour votes with some reasoning here? treave, what sort of talismans did Zhong Hai give us?

My initial theory here is that a murder-suicide occurred here:

Some of the cloth strips are stained with rusty brown spatters, others tied into loops that you could probably fit a head through. A dyeing process gone wrong? The artistic tastes of the mansion’s inhabitants? You will never know, you suppose.

Rusty brown is the colour of dried blood. The fact that only young men are stolen away by this ghost seems to hint at a lover's quarrel considering the ghost we've just heard is a young woman bathing. I'm not so confident about that, but what I'm a bit more confident about is that some sort of murder-suicide happened here; the victim was cut open, blood splashing on the tattered cloths, then when the killer realized what they had done, they killed themselves. I also think Zhong Hai might have had a hand in this: he's an experienced exorcist who seemed really eccentric when we initially met him - knowing that the ghosts here go after young men, it's plausible that he used Jing and Yu as bait to draw them out.

Everything that we have encountered thus far has been designed to force us to act in a particular way. We wake up in a room that's completely bare save for a bed and a candle. When we take a path forward that leads us away from where the spirit humming a melody, we're greeted with thunder and creaking floorboards to make us rethink that idea. At the same time, the path that we came from is now covered in darkness. Whatever the intentions of these spirits are, it seems to depend on us doing what they want us to do:

Looking to your left and right, the corridor seems to recede into infinite darkness.

In some cases, the only winning move is not to play, and this could be an example of that. I think that B is totally off the table here; I am not going to have a conversation with this thing, on its terms, without getting some information about what this particular spirit looks like. It wants to speak to us, but I am not going to meekly play into its hands.

Voting C, might flop to A

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom