Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate 2 on Insane (feat. The Codex)

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
We have to do all the usual Athkatla quests before going to spellhold, right? I mean, doing Anomen's sister (hmm) after we level up a bunch in Underdark makes even less sense than now. This LP has to be fully completionist!

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Yeah, I think we should definitely do low-level things like Anomen's sister or Yoshimo's quest ASAP, and only then continue with the main quest. We might complete the quests for the Shadow Thieves, but going to Brynnlaw and then to the Underdark will make most of the sidequests deathless. And where would be the FUN in that.

Yeah, in hindsight we should have accepted the fighter's one. Thief's guild is a boring nuisance, but the d'Arnise keep ends with a nice combat. I did that mostly because I did not even plan to install 'all strongholds' mod, it is there by accident.

Ah, since the "all strongholds" mod is an accident anyway, all is well. You'll even get bro points for selecting the :obviously: mage stronghold.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does Anomen have a quest (never had him in my party because I couldn't stand looking at him for more than 2 seconds)? If so, I should probably add it to the list.
It's worth noting that you have to carry Anomen around in your party for quite a while in order to get the quest. Nalia, Cernd, Jan, Aerie, Jaheira, and Mazzy also all have quests triggered after a while in the party. For Keldorn I think you can trigger his quest just by entering the gov't district with him in your party. I think Minsc also has one with unfinished business.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Does Anomen have a quest (never had him in my party because I couldn't stand looking at him for more than 2 seconds)? If so, I should probably add it to the list.
It's worth noting that you have to carry Anomen around in your party for quite a while in order to get the quest. Nalia, Cernd, Jan, Aerie, Jaheira, and Mazzy also all have quests triggered after a while in the party. For Keldorn I think you can trigger his quest just by entering the gov't district with him in your party. I think Minsc also has one with unfinished business.

Also, Korgan's book quest is somehow connected to Edwin's quest. Either Edwin begins pestering you about finding a different book in another tomb, or he wants a glance at Korgan's book. Then you have to carry Edwin around for a loong time, as he studies the book (and sometimes gains some XP as a result of his studies). The final result is hilarious. And reportedly reversible, but I never managed to revert it myself. Not even by

cheating-in the belt of sex change

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
^I think it's in the same area, but a different book that you have to kill a Lich to get. Pretty sure all you can do with Korgan's book is sell it.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
I don't think I know that one.
You can get it from a guy (Ryan Trawl, I think) inside the Paladin stronghold place regardless of class, as long as your rep is > 10. There's also another quest from the Temple of Helm that you haven't listed, I think. Neither one is really meaty enough to take up a full update though -- basically brief fetch quests with fights at the end.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

Yeah, it's randomly triggered. That's why I posted the troll face. That, and because Anomen has such a smug Backpfeifengesicht(“a face badly in need of a fist”).

You can go with the peaceful resolution and Anomen becomes Lawful Good instead of Lawful Neutral, or go with the violent resolution for schadenfreude, which makes Anomen fail his knighthood test and changes his alignment to Chaotic Netural. He's not a ranger or paladin, so he doesn't actually become "fallen". Either way, his ToB "where are they now?" blurb isn't affected; so much for C&C.

Like I said, I put that quest nomination in for lulz, so my vote is still for Korgan's quest.

Like Aeschylus said, Nalia, Cernd, Jan, Jaheira, and Mazzy each have a personal quest. Aerie doesn't have a personal quest other than the romance option, though she receives a message that gets the player started on the Planar Prison quest.

Erebus

Arcane
The most satisfying personal quest is probably Jaheira's, simply because it gives you the opportunity to beat up Harpers. But you need to keep her with you for quite a while for all the encounters to trigger.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
And hope that the game isn't broken and she doesn't leave your party forever. I don't know the latest BG2 patch addressed that issue, but I heard Jahiera's was the most buggy quest in the entire game.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think we've lost Jaheira in Irenicus' dungeon (good riddance). Same with Minsc.

The Codex is not a wandering therapeutist, so I've decided I will not be listing all the quests that amount to solving personal issues (Anomen, Cernd, Keldorn, etc.).I can't be assed to read a FAQ right now and my memeory isn't all that great, so just let me know which of these follower quests involve actual adventuring (like Korgan's) and I will add them to the available choices.

I have listed the fallen paladins quest, btw.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
^Edwin's quest is started by just taking him to the Graveyard, is done in the same place as Korgan's, and adds an extra enemy to that dungeon. Takes a long time with Edwin in the party to completely finish it though.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last time on Let's Insane Solo Baldur's Gate 2:

bg2_up36_056.jpg

Hopefully, Project Eternity will also allow us to fight encounters like this.

------

Update #37: Mighty Quest For Epic Loot

bg2_up37_000.jpg

Let's start by identifying the remaining piece of loot from our adventures in outer planes.

Character sheet update.

bg2_up37_001.jpg

I can't remember if epic level abilities start at level 20 or 21. If it's the former, we might get one pretty soon.

bg2_up37_002.jpg

codex_10.jpg
My lore = 69. Indeed, heh heh.

bg2_up37_003.jpg

I would gladly hear (read) any suggestions as to which weapon proficiencies should still be improved. We are definitely going the two-handed route, so please no Crom Faeyr/Celestial Fury dual-wielding builds. It's probably the smartest to just improve two-handed swords, or maybe get a point or two in halberds.

bg2_up37_004.jpg

While it would be better to have 19 DEX and 19 CON at the moment, the potentially final 21 DEX and 19 CON will be superior to 20 each, unless my memory serves me wrong.

bg2_up37_005.jpg

I'm still not sure why a combination of fire resistance scroll and ring gave us 127% fire resistance in the previous update. Shouldn't it have been 90% (50+40)?

bg2_up37_006.jpg

Over 1000 kills already. Anyone wants to bet how many there will be in the end?
bg2_up37_007.jpg

The journey will take around 20 hours.

codex_10.jpg
If I am attacked by the same bandit group again, I am not even going to fight them and just leave the map.

bg2_up37_008.jpg

Nothing like that happens, though. But some mysterious figure awaits us at our destination.

bg2_up37_009.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Right. I'll make sure to do that...

bg2_up37_010.jpg

codex_10.jpg
...when I am in the neighbourhood.

Obviously there's no time limit. Bioware cannot into urgency.

bg2_up37_011.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I vaguely remember being here before.

bg2_up37_012.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Yeah, I have not yet finished with your task... whatever it was. But I am getting to it.

Check out (or not) the quite longer conversation with Brother Pol.

bg2_up37_013.jpg

bg2_up37_014.jpg

bg2_up37_015.jpg

bg2_up37_016.jpg

bg2_up37_017.jpg

bg2_up37_018.jpg

bg2_up37_019.jpg

tl'dr: Get down, use the scroll, don't kill the imprisoned one.

codex_10.jpg
Why not?

They don't know.

codex_10.jpg
Right.

bg2_up37_020.jpg

The entrance to Watcher's Keep might look like a semi-regular door, but it is actually a portal, and we shall need this Vigil Stone to cross it.

bg2_up37_021.jpg

And this is the ritual scroll that is supposed to finish all this. When my wife (then wife-to-be) played this game, she lost it somehow and a lot of frustration ensued when I had to kill Demogorgon with her underpowered party.

codex_10.jpg
Demo-what?

Uhm, shit. Forget it, unrelated story.

codex_10.jpg
'k

bg2_up37_022.jpg

There are two door available from the starting point of Watcher's Keep. In the spirit of a true roleplayer, we shall first pick the one which look less important.

bg2_up37_023.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Some traps and a guy with active blur cast.

It's a ghost.

codex_10.jpg
How can you tell?

Good memory.

bg2_up37_024.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I think I am going to like this place.

bg2_up37_025.jpg

First chest we've opened results in finding a unique item.

codex_10.jpg
I am definitely going to like this place.

Too bad You can't wear these (yet).

bg2_up37_026.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Four healing potions, a wand and 250 gold. Not bad.

bg2_up37_027.jpg

It's a mildly useful wand of sleep. Would be better if we did not use a weapon which casts dispel magic on every hit.

bg2_up37_028.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Yeah, you've mentioned that.

bg2_up37_029.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Stone golem as a first enemy. Reminds me of Planar Sphere.

Is that good?

codex_10.jpg
That depends. Are there any halfings in here?

Not that I recall.

codex_10.jpg
Good.

bg2_up37_030.jpg

We decide to take it on unstoneskinned. The Codex should regenerate before the next serious fight and stoneskin layers might prove useful later.

bg2_up37_031.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Fuck! I almost got a heart attack there.

Jump scares in my Baldur's Gate? Does not compute.

bg2_up37_032.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Go away!

bg2_up37_033.jpg

But wait, there's more!

bg2_up37_034.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Been there, done that.

bg2_up37_035.jpg

It's nice that the books which are worth reading have unique artwork.

bg2_up37_036.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Let me see, when was the last time I was trying to figure out a ritual from pieces of parchment, in a place infested with shadows...

bg2_up37_037.jpg

This book describes some of the new monsters from Throne of Bhaal. Most of them are reskins of previous monsters.

bg2_up37_038.jpg

codex_10.jpg
It's almost like every container here has something worth picking up.

bg2_up37_039.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Sure it does...

bg2_up37_040.jpg

codex_10.jpg
You've got to be kidding me.

bg2_up37_041.jpg

codex_10.jpg
We should have come here sooner.

bg2_up37_042.jpg

codex_10.jpg
2000 gold, lying just like that? We should have come here much sooner!

bg2_up37_043.jpg

codex_10.jpg
If I have to step on letter-marked tiles, I'm leaving. Actually, no, I'll loot everything first.

bg2_up37_044.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Traps on containers. XP as well as loot. Sweet.

bg2_up37_045.jpg

codex_10.jpg
And it's not even my birthday.

bg2_up37_046.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Vendor trash.

bg2_up37_047.jpg

The sad thing is that this is probably the best dart in the game. Hope you enjoy your quirky dart-tossing build. :troll:

bg2_up37_048.jpg

codex_10.jpg
How much magic can you put into a simple rock?

bg2_up37_049.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Wow, I had no idea there were better healing potions than the tall blue ones.

We'll be saving these for tough times, though.

bg2_up37_050.jpg

bg2_up37_051.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Obviously Helm must have better things to do now, since his priests hire random handsome adventurers to fix things here.

bg2_up37_052.jpg

codex_10.jpg
More gifts? it's almost too much. Almost.

bg2_up37_053.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Sure, why not.

bg2_up37_054.jpg

Obviously, none of the designers have predicted that a lone adventurer won't have enough backpack space to pick up all this random crap lying around.

bg2_up37_055.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I've always wanted one of these.

bg2_up37_056.jpg

And after that little detour, we're back to the main entrance.

bg2_up37_057.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Fuck! Stop doing this shit!

Once again the enemy is right behind the door, scaring us out of our pants (not really).

bg2_up37_058.jpg

Two enemies, to be precise.

codex_10.jpg
Uhm, dying here?

bg2_up37_059.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Time for stone skin!

I wonder if their attacks are even physical.

bg2_up37_060.jpg

Apparently not.

Death Count: 186

codex_10.jpg
I was surprisingly outmatched there, and it was not pleasant at all.

bg2_up37_061.jpg

Let's see if we can use a choke point to our advantage.

bg2_up37_062.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I hate invisibility. On enemies, that is.

Our advanced tactical move does not work, The Codex is still fighting both wraiths at the same time.

bg2_up37_063.jpg

And getting his ass handed to him.

bg2_up37_064.jpg

So yeah.

Death Count: 187

Load game.

codex_10.jpg
Time to put some effort into this, I think.

Morphin time!

bg2_up37_065.jpg

bg2_up37_066.jpg

bg2_up37_067.jpg

bg2_up37_068.jpg

bg2_up37_069.jpg
bg2_up37_070.jpg

codex_10.jpg
NoInvisibilityForYou!

bg2_up37_071.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Fuck!

bg2_up37_072.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Shit!

bg2_up37_073.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Asshole!

bg2_up37_074.jpg

codex_10.jpg
:rage:

bg2_up37_075.jpg

codex_10.jpg
:yeah:

That was kind of surreal, to be honest. The wraith appeared, attacked and went back invisible so fast I wasn't even able to click on it in time.

bg2_up37_076.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Fuck, there's more of them.

bg2_up37_077.jpg

codex_10.jpg
And obviously they shrug off my +1 arrows. Why do I even carry those around?

bg2_up37_078.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Go wander somewhere else.

bg2_up37_079.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Mephits. Just what this place needed.

bg2_up37_080.jpg

codex_10.jpg
And they come in packs.

bg2_up37_081.jpg

codex_10.jpg
My ultimate life goal should be to devise a spell that will get rid of these things once and for all. Everywhere.

bg2_up37_082.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Giant spiders and ettercaps. Such a nostalgia trip, I can almost cry.

bg2_up37_083.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Although I prefer to hear others crying. Of pain.

bg2_up37_084.jpg

codex_10.jpg
When will I start using these?

Hopefully by the time you need them you will be badass enough to not need them.

codex_10.jpg
Makes no sense, but I still like that way of thinking.

bg2_up37_085.jpg

codex_10.jpg
And what is THAT?

bg2_up37_086.jpg

Yet another quest item. Just what our inventory needed.

bg2_up37_087.jpg

We almost walked right into this one.

bg2_up37_088.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Right.

bg2_up37_089.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Look another one of these.

bg2_up37_090.jpg

Yes. Another one.

bg2_up37_091.jpg

codex_10.jpg
You know what, exploring this place is actually kind of exciting. There's so much cool stuff around.

bg2_up37_092.jpg

At least we can put this inside the scroll container.

bg2_up37_093.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Spellhaunt? That's new.

bg2_up37_094.jpg

codex_10.jpg
WTF.

Apparently it was dispelled on hit, which means we don't get any XP, but at least it went down fast.

bg2_up37_095.jpg

I forgot to screenshot the key we've found here, but we have obviously taken it with us.

bg2_up37_096.jpg

codex_10.jpg
This place does not cease to amaze me.

bg2_up37_097.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Obviously.

bg2_up37_098.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Yet another door awaits.

bg2_up37_099.jpg

codex_10.jpg
No wonder this place is empty, who would want to live in such a hostile environement?

bg2_up37_100.jpg

codex_10.jpg
And what is that?

bg2_up37_101.jpg

The last time I had to use a tinderbox in a game, it did not end well at all.

bg2_up37_102.jpg

More stuff to pick up.

bg2_up37_103.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I guess he did not find it in time.

bg2_up37_104.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Seriously, it feels kind of like I'm breaking into Santa's warehouse.

bg2_up37_105.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Well, hello there.

bg2_up37_106.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Magical footwear?

You wish.

bg2_up37_107.jpg

codex_10.jpg
No. No. Just no. This is where I draw the line. I'm not fetching any slippers for anyone, even John Romero.

It's either that or fighting yet another lich.

codex_10.jpg
Fuck that. Fine, whatever.

bg2_up37_108.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I'll bet you 100 000 gold pieces that these status will come back to life eventually.

Thanks, but no thanks.

bg2_up37_109.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I have that feeling since the start of this LP, and it's quite justified.

bg2_up37_110.jpg

codex_10.jpg
The floor here needs mopping badly.

bg2_up37_111.jpg

codex_10.jpg
The Codex Cleaning Services strike again.

bg2_up37_112.jpg

We shall hoard this for later.

bg2_up37_113.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Somehow the loot here manages to be cool even when it sucks.

bg2_up37_114.jpg

We really don't have any more space for these. Really.

bg2_up37_115.jpg

codex_10.jpg
+3 THAC0 bonus, but only 1d6 damage? Kind of weird.

bg2_up37_116.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Hopefully these should fetch quite the coin at a vendor.

bg2_up37_117.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Good thing I've found it, then.

bg2_up37_118.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Hopefully the old ghost will stop complaining now.

bg2_up37_119.jpg

Quest-relevant ghosts - teleporting for Your convenience.

Conversation detailed below.

bg2_up37_120.jpg

bg2_up37_121.jpg

bg2_up37_122.jpg

bg2_up37_123.jpg

bg2_up37_124.jpg

Only one door left unopened.
---

Next time: We'll check what lies behind the big door, open the portal to the second level and indulge in some filler content.
Next quest selection details:

Time to roll for it.

1. Watcher's Keep level 2 [Desmodus Rotundus]
2. Watcher's Keep level 2 [Azira]
3. Watcher's Keep level 2 [MotherMachinae]
4. Korgan's Quest [InsanePsychic]
5. Watcher's Keep level 2 [grosstraktor]
6. Korgan's Quest [t]
7. Shadow Thieves' Guild [Shadenuat]
8. Watcher's Keep level 2 [JoKa]
9. Korgan's Quest [Aeschylus]
10. Korgan's Quest [Sodafish]
11. Korgan's Quest [T(D?)-Bag]
12. Korgan's Quest [Abelian]
13. Illithids in Athkathla [Storyfag]
14. Shadow Thieves' Guild [Shadenuat]
15. Korgan's Quest [Stygian Lurker]

EDIT: It seems that we'll stay in Watcher's Keep for now.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
It may sound crazy, but I'm in favor of finally going back to the main quest. Most of the minor quests that are left wouldn't be very challenging now and, if our hero keeps exploring Watcher's Keep, he'll become way too powerful.

Shadow Thieves' Guild
I share the same concern, so I'd prefer to leave the last levels of Watcher's Keep for Chapter 4 or ToB.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
RE: Weapon proficiencies... if you're going 2-handed and you're going to get epic thief abilities soon, why use anything but Carsomyr? It's worth keeping Crom Faeyr around if only to insta-kill those irritating fire trolls in ToB, but you don't really need tons of proficiency for that.
And I'm pretty sure most of the stronghold quests in BG2 actually do have time limits, usually around a week.
And I vote for Korgan again because why not. Oh yeah, because WC3 is a tedious level.

ALchymist

Educated
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
:rpgcodex: The Codex is a narcissistic, egocentric sociopath (and those are his good points). Time he was booked into an Asylum.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
RE: Weapon proficiencies... if you're going 2-handed and you're going to get epic thief abilities soon, why use anything but Carsomyr? It's worth keeping Crom Faeyr around if only to insta-kill those irritating fire trolls in ToB, but you don't really need tons of proficiency for that.
We'll probably be using Carsomyr most of the time, so pumping up that two-handed swords proficiency might be the best idea. On the other hand, two points in 2HS might be enough, but getting a single point in warhammers or halberds might help in a fray. After fighting Kangaxx with Mask while having zero proficiency in short swords (when replaying lost saves content), I would rather not repeat that experience. Hence asking for hints in the matter.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Getting a dot in warhammers might be good. Halberds I don't really see the draw -- Wave is the only good one, and you don't fight enough powerful fire elementals/efreetis later in the game to make it worth lugging around. As I recall, the main benefits of more dots in 2H would be extra attacks, the need for which would be partially offset if Codex ever gets epic fighter abilities (greater whirlwind = 10 attacks/round).

Fortunately, Carsomyr can smack down the one remaining demi-lich pretty quickly due to its +5 damage vs. chaotic evil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom