Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Well, if you look at the fight we just went through, I believe we gained a neigong point because he figured out a new way of using his qi in response to the way the masters were attacking him. Perception wasn't involved, and I'm not sure how having above average sight, hearing etc (excluding Cao'er's qi-sensing eyes) would help him understand his qi better in any significant way. He already invented a qi technique back there out of necessity, you know, by suppressing his qi and then letting it rebound to blow away the masters, even though we didn't get a fancy technique name. It was the pressure of the combat situation that led to that discovery, not his observational skills.

We kind a used same move in tournament finals, but with lesser force. In battle against three masters Jing went all out, so we build on what we already used and knew. I think the main selling point with perception boost (for me at least ) is that we can pick up weaknesses in techniques and memorize them when observing them. Of course the problem is that we would have to somehow watch battles without participating them.

Baltika9

Arcane
Which is why I will advocate for throwing Jing into as many life-or-death situations as we can from now on. He will become the martial arts master to rule all martial arts masters, or die trying, godfuckingdamnit.
:salute: I disagree with the motivations but to tally agree with the spirit. After we recover, though, for now we should be shamming as much as possible to speed our recovery. And try to get some Golden Fox Leaves.

Anabanana

Augur
We kind a used same move in tournament finals, but with lesser force. In battle against three masters Jing went all out, so we build on what we already used and knew. I think the main selling point with perception boost (for me at least ) is that we can pick up weaknesses in techniques and memorize them when observing them. Of course the problem is that we would have to somehow watch battles without participating them.

You know what would help us watch serious life-or-death fights without the fighters noticing? Sneaking skills.

Jester

Arbiter
Well, if you look at the fight we just went through, I believe we gained a neigong point because he figured out a new way of using his qi in response to the way the masters were attacking him. Perception wasn't involved, and I'm not sure how having above average sight, hearing etc (excluding Cao'er's qi-sensing eyes) would help him understand his qi better in any significant way. He already invented a qi technique back there out of necessity, you know, by suppressing his qi and then letting it rebound to blow away the masters, even though we didn't get a fancy technique name. It was the pressure of the combat situation that led to that discovery, not his observational skills.

Agreed.
If there was only some way to watch fighters fighting other fighters without fighting ourselves, in a organized, previously arranged time...
Yep we should invest some money into first row place, fire cult martial arts tournament will be quite interesting with great ones fighting in it. Who wana some popcorn?

Ganymede

Learned
It makes sense that you'd pick up scholarly knowledge by spending time with the scholar. And if you can't throw a punch without coughing up blood then you're in no position for physically demanding stealth training. I'm fine with things as they stand, except for sending the refugees to the maniac. It's like 'hey guys, you'll be totally safe in this lion's den. I mean who's going to attack you when there's a lion around?'

Absinthe

Arcane
Actually, a lot of fights start with the two sides measuring each other's skills, so Jing could just use Reikan at the start of a fight and switch into Yuanshi Hundun when it gets serious.

You know what would help us watch serious life-or-death fights without the fighters noticing? Sneaking skills.
You know, 7 Sneak is some serious overkill against people who are preoccupied with life or death fights.

It makes sense that you'd pick up scholarly knowledge by spending time with the scholar. And if you can't throw a punch without coughing up blood then you're in no position for physically demanding stealth training. I'm fine with things as they stand, except for sending the refugees to the maniac. It's like 'hey guys, you'll be totally safe in this lion's den. I mean who's going to attack you when there's a lion around?'
Yeah, I still don't understand why people are risking so much by sending them to Zhang Jue's personal island. I guess it's part lulz brigade to see what happens.

Esquilax

Arcane
Actually, a lot of fights start with the two sides measuring each other's skills, so Jing could just use Reikan at the start of a fight and switch into Yuanshi Hundun when it gets serious.

We can't use it like that at the moment:

The perception technique works because it requires a calm mind, not calm qi. It's not that the two aren't related, but Jing can certainly focus and keep his calm if he needs to. But in effect, it means for now you can't exactly use it in a fight, and you'll struggle to apply the meditative aspect. Once you understand the intricacies of it (level up) you might find more ways to apply it.

I'm not saying that Reikan isn't useful (it wouldn't be an option if it wasn't) but we can't use it in the way you're describing at the moment. Jing is a complete novice at the meditation that is probably a staple of a typical orthodox pugilist's lifestyle, so we've got a long ways to go here. Once the fight begins, we can't summon up the inner calm necessary to focus and zero in on the enemy's flaws. Yeah, that's a possibility down the line, but we are going to need to invest a lot more time into meditation before something like this becomes a possibility.

Yeah, I still don't understand why people are risking so much by sending them to Zhang Jue's personal island. I guess it's part lulz brigade to see what happens.

I agree with this, this might be stupid. There's little reason to send them anywhere else because our actions with the Minamoto have ensured that the government is probably far more pissed off about us than they are the Minamoto. It's totally not worth it to risk Shun going incognito on Maniac Island and end up having a run-in with Zhang Jue. At the same time, if Shun is going to hire a crew of loyal guards and perhaps the greatest stealth operative in the world, he'd have to do it in secret before anyone else gets to them; nobody would ever look for them on Maniac Island.

Given the fact that the entire reason that they're on his island in the first place is because we fought off a hundred pugilists single-handed, there's a good chance that he'll let them stay on his turf just to spite the orthodox schools. Zhang respects balls, first and foremost.

Baltika9

Arcane
And also, what happens if Shun doesn't get to them before their supplies run out. Since we'll be sending him the message by Beggar News Network, and he's performing incognito inspections somewhere in the Chinese South, yeah, the message will take a while to reach him. In the meanwhile, the Minamoto will be safe, farming and hunting on Zhang's Island Paradise, all for a bargain price of their most promising youths.

Anabanana

Augur
You know, 7 Sneak is some serious overkill against people who are preoccupied with life or death fights.

I know, right? ;D

Given the fact that the entire reason that they're on his island in the first place is because we fought off a hundred pugilists single-handed, there's a good chance that he'll let them stay on his turf just to spite the orthodox schools. Zhang respects balls, first and foremost.

Yeah, this is the main reason why I'm feeling pretty confident about the lulz option.

Unless of course Zhang kills the messenger before he can get Jing's letter, but he's not the kind of person who would slaughter people indiscriminately. He has no problems killing people, yes, but he usually has a reason for it, even if most people wouldn't agree with that reason. All we know about him indicates that he has strong resentment against the orthodox sects, but even with the Emei nuns, he didn't even lay a finger on them.

So assuming that he gets the message, I think he'd be more than cool with letting the pirates stay. He might get overly excited at the super elite ninja and attack him for fun, though. Or challenge him to a stealthing contest.

...the Southern Maniac vs the Ninja Pirate, ft. wild tigers. It'd be the most hardcore game of hide-and-seek ever.

Anabanana

Augur
And also, what happens if Shun doesn't get to them before their supplies run out. Since we'll be sending him the message by Beggar News Network, and he's performing incognito inspections somewhere in the Chinese South, yeah, the message will take a while to reach him. In the meanwhile, the Minamoto will be safe, farming and hunting on Zhang's Island Paradise, all for a bargain price of their most promising youths.

Yeah, starvation and the risk of them reverting to piracy is why I think you pretty much have to go with Maniac Island if you want Shun to be in on the pirate ninja action.

But this is all distracting from the main issue of Jing not being able to fingerpaint to save his life. Who knows, our ability to compose a sonnet might just save our lives somewhere down the line.
:rpgcodex:

Anabanana

Augur
What if the fire cult tournament six months from now turns out to be a rap battle? What then?! You'll all regret not choosing Artistic Skill, I tell you!

Baltika9

Arcane
Rap battles include dancing. Speaking of which, 10AGI. Problem, cultists?
:troll:
Edit: and all we have to do to win the crowd is flex our muscles and show some skin. Jing has the 'sociopath charmer' vibe.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
It's gross that scholarly knowledge won out over artistic improvement, but I guess this is still much more than I thought we'd get out of this boondoggle.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Meeting at a Shrine

The pigeon flies off, leaving the letter behind in your hand. You think you should learn how to train one of those from Master Zhang when you have the chance. Unfurling the letter, you take care not to touch the suspicious-looking stains. It looks like the pigeon has relieved itself repeatedly in a rather awkward fashion during its flight here. The letter is simple and to the point:

“My apprentice, the plight of these people that you have sent me is rather interesting, as are their skills. I will have set sail for Nippon by the time you read this letter, bringing along some of the Minamoto as my guides. I will check on your progress after I have completed my tour of their country.”

Crumpling up the paper, you toss it into the meagre fire you have going. As expected of your master; hopefully he won’t become a diplomatic incident. The sky has turned dark some time ago. There is a rumble of thunder. Looking up, you glimpse a brief flash of lightning through the holes in the ramshackle roof. With a sigh, Xiahou Yu finishes his records and begins packs up his writing utensils.

“I still do not see why you feel the need to write down every happening that has occurred each day,” you say. “It is not like we are doing anything important that needs to be immortalized in literature. We aren’t exactly Xuanzang on his journey to the west.”

“Habit,” replies Yu. “Besides, you never know when it might come in handy.”

You snort. “I am not so old that I need to write down everything I have experienced.”

“Well, there will come a day when we are old men. I will gladly share my journals with you then.”

You laugh, but a thunderous bang drowns out your intended reply. The rain begins to fall hard, spattering noisily against the rooftop. The roof of the old shrine keeps out most of the rain, just barely, but enough water begins to leak in to make the place uncomfortably wet. Xiahou Yu hurriedly puts away his tools before they get wet. You are about two days away from Xiangyang – there you should be able to find better shelter. For now, you have to make do with what you find on the road.

“Wasn’t there supposed to be a village near here?” wonders Yu aloud, looking at his map.

“Beats me,” you shrug. “At any rate, we couldn’t have progressed any further for today... wait.” You gesture at the scholar to stay still. “There’s someone coming,” you say. He looks puzzled. “Is there?” You can faintly hear footsteps splashing through the mud and rain – there seems to be only one person. Even in your weakened state you should still be able to take a single bandit, but if luck did not go your way it could be some martial arts master after your head. You did not leave Yangzhou on good terms with the orthodox schools there after all – it would be no surprise if they sent someone after you. Your hand drifts to the wodao at your side, ready to draw it if necessary.

The doors to the shrine are thrown open. You see a stocky man standing in the pouring rain. A flash of lightning throws his features under an ominous silhouette – his beard is wild and unruly, and his eyes bulge out like that of a fish. His thick lips part and widen into a sneer. “Ah, fellow travellers,” says the newcomer in a polite fashion unbefitting his looks. His voice is deep and gravelly. “I wonder if you would let me stay a while until the storm has passed.” You nod cautiously – though there is a sword by his side, he is dressed in the robes and accessories of an itinerant Taoist priest. He does not seem like a pugilist of the jianghu.

The man’s ugly grin grows bigger as he steps over the threshold, closing the doors behind him. His strange, large eyes roll over the view in front of him, finally resting upon your sword-hand. “I suppose these are dangerous times, but I assure you that you have nothing to fear from me.” You nod again, releasing your grip on your sword. Then, you put on a smile. “That is very reassuring indeed. Come, make yourself comfortable by the fire. It is not much, but every little bit helps when we are far from home.”

The Taoist does so, grinning all the way. He opens up his backpack and pulls out a large gourd of wine, taking a long swig from it. With a grunt, the man holds out the gourd and shakes it, offering it to the two of you. Xiahou Yu shakes his head quickly and retreats with a nervous smile, nibbling his thumb. “You must pardon my friend,” you explain, “he has had some bad encounters with alcohol. I will gladly drink with you.” You sip the wine politely, not wanting to imbibe too much. As you return the gourd to the Taoist, he nods approvingly.

“So, Master priest, what brings you all the way out here?” You had chosen a rather remote route to Xiangyang; you were certainly off the beaten track. It was a quick route, all things considered, but the terrain was more difficult to traverse.

“Matters of the Tao, of course,” smiles your guest. “My name is Zhong Hai, exorcist of spirits and demons, hailing from a long line of esteemed ghost-catchers. I have been called to investigate some incidents of meddlesome ghosts in a nearby village. Who might you two young gentlemen be?”

“Ah, pardon our manners,” you reply, bowing. “I am Xu Jing and this is Xiahou Yu. We are two travelling scholars on our way to Xiangyang-“

“Ghosts?” interrupts Xiahou Yu. “Did you say ghosts?” He is trembling, but not out of fear – out of excitement. “I didn’t know that you liked supernatural occurrences,” you quip, “with all your focus on arts and books.”

“Oh, I have always wanted to meet one! The first stories I learnt to read were a collection of ghostly tales. Sadly the real thing seems to be far rarer than people claim they are; I have never seen one. Master Zhong, you must have a lot of experiences subduing these spirits, right?” says Yu excitedly.

“That I have. I have wandered the land for over thirty years in my line of work,”replies the exorcist. “Why, lad, do you wish to see one?”

“It is one of my life’s goals,” replies the scholar proudly. Zhong Hai smiles thinly. “I would advise against it – the living and the dead are best kept apart… but I will not lie; it can also be one of the most strange and enchanting sights for mortal eyes. If you are that eager I would not mind some company on my next job.”

“How about it, Jing?” grins Xiahou Yu as he turns to you. “Why don’t we check this out? Don’t tell me you aren’t interested in supernatural incidents?”

A. You go along with Xiahou Yu and Zhong Hai to investigate this allegedly haunted village. You believe in the existence of spirits and deities, like every other person in the world, but you have never seen one yourself. It should be an enlightening and educational experience, no matter what happens.

B. You prefer to forge ahead to Xiangyang. You allow Xiahou Yu to go off with Zhong Hai if that is what he wants – you have no interest in bossing him around – you can always meet up with him back at the city after he has had his little adventure. On your part, you have no interest in hunting for ghosts and demons.

C. You remind Xiahou Yu that he has a debt to you, forbidding him from going off with the priest. None of you are going to go gallivanting about after ethereal entities – you have real things to investigate in Xiangyang, and this will likely only become a waste of time.

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
You know, in normal circumstances I would be all fuck sidequests, let's get to Xiangyang and get this job done...

...but this might be our only chance to unlock the supernatural part of this LP! (Unless, of course, he turns out to be a charlatan. :| )

I will have set sail for Nippon by the time you read this letter, bringing along some of the Minamoto as my guides.

RIP, Japan. :salute:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ooh! More sidequests! Gimme!

I will have set sail for Nippon by the time you read this letter, bringing along some of the Minamoto as my guides.
And that, boys and girls, was how the Minamoto clan had risen back to power.

A violent foreigner walking the land in the company of wanted exiles - surely this wouldn't cause an international incident... if it results in a power vacuum.

On a more serious note, I don't like the priest, and I don't like the missing village. I would not want to let Yu wander off alone - not only because I am concerned for his safety, but because we need him if we want to establish a contact with Changfeng. And I would not want to boss him around either - not yet, at least. We might want to remind him of his debt when we encounter our suspect.

Therefore I guess I'll go with A and see what the fuss is all about. Oh, and maybe save a fox spirit from these vile ghosts. :)
Hm... save a fox spirit and get a lucky charm... or you could gain the blessings of the gods by performing the proper rituals. Just some of the ways that it's possible. But the supernatural aspect of the world won't be easy to find.

Anabanana

Augur
Let's hope that A unlocks option D, assembling a harem of fox demons, and option E, becoming the monk's disciple and learning the way of magic and immortality. No one will mind a genre shift from wuxia to Liao Zhai Zhi Yi or Journey to the West, right? :P

Aghghghgh I'm torn between A and B right now though. On one hand, remote possibility of acquiring magic skills and/or a personal pet demon that will give us an edge in the fire cult tournament. On the other hand, we've fucked around way too long; the trail in Xiangyang might go cold if we pursue this sidequest yet again. B will give us the possibility of Xiahou Yu reaping all the benefits of A without us having to personally waste time on it. Isn't this the whole point of having party members in the first place?

I have to say though, treave, you're doing an excellent job of undermining our main quest. How are we supposed to resist all these shinies?! :x

Baltika9

Arcane
Ah, so this is Yao's exorcist friend. An easy decision for me, I had always wanted to check out the spirit realm, perhaps they have some ancient and arcane advice in regards to our unique qi. A.
“My apprentice, the plight of these people that you have sent me is rather interesting, as are their skills. I will have set sail for Nippon by the time you read this letter, bringing along some of the Minamoto as my guides. I will check on your progress after I have completed my tour of their country.”
Master Zhang will come back stronger than ever, after avenging the Minamoto. Something tells me the Taira Clan's days are numbered.
:avatard:

Anabanana

Augur
Oh, and maybe save a fox spirit from these vile ghosts. :)
Hm... save a fox spirit and get a lucky charm... or you could gain the blessings of the gods by performing the proper rituals. Just some of the ways that it's possible. But the supernatural aspect of the world won't be easy to find.

On the contrary, the fox spirits ARE the vile ghosts that we should be saving people from. Saving a fox spirit probably means we'll have to stab the exorcist in the back at some point. Either way, we'll probably be making yet more enemies if we go this route.

...all the more reason to go with Yu, I guess. Do you really want that excited ghost nerd to go bumbling around with an exorcist all on his own. Fuck, all the fox spirit would need to do would be to pour some wine down his throat.

But yeah, the fact that treave mentioned that the supernatural aspect will be rare is mostly why I'm so torn on this. If we pass up this chance, we might not get a chance to play with demons and gods ever again.

...agh, what the hell. Tentative vote for A.

EDIT: Switching to B. No more sidequests! I'm onto your little game, treave. :rpgcodex:

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
I guess the bandwagon choice here will be A. But at some point we should stop following every sidequest treave throws at us because we might be late for events on the main story.

Baltika9

Arcane
I guess the bandwagon choice here will be A. But at some point we should stop following every sidequest treave throws at us because we might be late for events on the main story.
Well, what influence can we have on these events in our state? Best to stay away from the important things for now, let ourselves recover.
Helping out Yao's old friend is a good pastime, and lets us know for sure if there are is anything supernatural in the setting or not.
So that we can sell our/others' souls to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom