Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate 2 on Insane (feat. The Codex)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Codex has incited a prison riot on another plane. There was a lot of death, some of it not pleasant. Not pleasant at all.

We are now accepting suggestions for a new quest.

I want to post an update tomorrow or on Thursday, but it's hard to tell if my job will let me.

Erebus

Arcane
Let's put our hero's mighty brain to the taste test by fighting illithids in Athkatla.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ilithids. The Codex should be perfectly safe from them.
Sadly those Illithids have been stuck in a Bioware game so long that even the Codex' twisted brain-meat looks appetizing.

I guess I vote for the Illithids now, as they're the last real challenge remaining.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Last real challenge? Heh, no, let's put the Codex through Watcher's Keep, all the way to level 5 and the fight with Demogorgon. Now that's a challenge. :troll:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last time on Let's Insane Solo Baldur's Gate 2:

bg2_up32_039.jpg

The hard part is still ahead of us, though actually over.

------

Update #33: In The Shadows, part III - Let There Be Light

bg2_up33_002.jpg

The puzzle solution here is to step along the name of the god of light, Amaunator, or you get smacked by righteous fire (or was it lightining).

codex_10.jpg
Well, I won't step step out of the way to remind you what it was.

bg2_up33_003.jpg

You could have heard him out at least.

codex_10.jpg
I don't negotiate with terrorists. Scratch that, I just don't negotiate, period.

bg2_up33_004.jpg

Obviously the shadow is outmatched.

bg2_up33_005.jpg

We find the second third of the circle.

bg2_up33_006.jpg

I wonder what she is waiting for, as I immediately completely forgot about this and have not brought anything.

bg2_up33_007.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Loot!

bg2_up33_008.jpg

codex_10.jpg
A sling with +3 damage. Almost makes it usable. :hahano:

bg2_up33_009.jpg

I'm guessing this gem dispells the second shadow barrier, if it is not in a gem bag (where it immediately went after we had found it).

bg2_up33_010.jpg

bg2_up33_011.jpg

The third ritual scroll (actually not a scroll, just a piece of parchment; if the art is accurate) is what we need to talk to the head.

bg2_up33_012.jpg

The Codex is ambushed by shade wolves on his way there.

bg2_up33_013.jpg

codex_10.jpg
More like, I stepped on some shade wolves on my way there.

bg2_up33_014.jpg

If someone is really interested in the details of the rituals, you can check them out under the spoiler.

bg2_up33_015.jpg

bg2_up33_016.jpg

bg2_up33_017.jpg

bg2_up33_018.jpg

bg2_up33_019.jpg

bg2_up33_020.jpg

bg2_up33_021.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I've just had an XP-gasm.

bg2_up33_022.jpg

The symbol is now complete.

bg2_up33_023.jpg

As is exploration of this place.

bg2_up33_024.jpg

Time to move on to more pleasant serious stuff.

bg2_up33_025.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Oh fuck. Not again.

bg2_up33_026.jpg

Thaxll'ssillyia is not as talkative as Firkraag.

codex_10.jpg
Talk'sillyah?

bg2_up33_027.jpg

Our first attempt at beating the black lizard is made in vanilla Codex mode, no buffs.

bg2_up33_028.jpg

It doesn't work. I guess our hero is not that badass broken just yet.

Death Count: 179

codex_10.jpg
Remind me not to fight any dragons in the near future. They bite.

bg2_up33_029.jpg

Since we have the shadow dragon wardstone, we could perform a Bollywood dance routine in front of Thaxll'ssillyia and he wouldn't notice.

codex_10.jpg
Tax'lister?

bg2_up33_030.jpg

We basically do just that.

bg2_up33_031.jpg

And more.

bg2_up33_032.jpg

And more...

codex_10.jpg
I'm starting to feel sorry for the dragon.

You won't be after you see it dead and pick up the loot.

codex_10.jpg
So true.

bg2_up33_033.jpg

And last but not least.

bg2_up33_034.jpg

Tenser's Transformation (listed as Tensor's Transformation on the character sheet here) is a spell that turns mages into capable fighters and bards into fearsome killers. The Codex does not get as much mileage from it (as his fighter level is equal to or exceeds his mage level), but +100% HP boost and +2 to to hit and damage is not bad.

codex_01.jpg
BringOnTheWorld!

bg2_up33_035.jpg

The fight is rather equal (and rather boring) until The Codex' buffs are dispelled.

codex_10.jpg
And suddenly the situation has lost a lot of its charm

bg2_up33_036.jpg

After our hero is knocked against the wall, half-dead, we decide to employ the lightning/fireball ability of the Staf of the Magi.

bg2_up33_037.jpg

That and some more stick-whacking is enough to bring the dragon down.

codex_10.jpg
Fuck :yeah:

bg2_up33_038.jpg

We continue the great tradition of getting a level up after killing a dragon.

codex_15.jpg
As it should be.

bg2_up33_039.jpg

Thaxll'ssillyia drops mostly gems.

codex_10.jpg
Tall'sista?

bg2_up33_040.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I like finding dragon scales.

Don't let your hopes get too high with these.

bg2_up33_041.jpg

We also get this shopping list.

codex_10.jpg
tl;dr

bg2_up33_042.jpg

codex_15.jpg
I feel marginally stronger, although I was counting on a 7th or 8th level spell.

Not just yet. But another slot for Stoneskin never hurts.

bg2_up33_043.jpg

Moving on through the shadow dragon lair, we enter this place and are ignored.

codex_10.jpg
How dare they ignore me!

You are invisible.

codex_10.jpg
Oh, right.

bg2_up33_044.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Since they are all hostile anyway, I might as well buff myself before appearing.

bg2_up33_045.jpg

We should have also backstabbed someone, but it eluded me at the time, and wasn't really needed.

bg2_up33_046.jpg

codex_10.jpg
'I am the light that shall dispel your darkness.'? Who talks like that?

You, apparently.

bg2_up33_047.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Let me cast one more spell.

We have replaced Cacofiend with Mordekainen's Sword in our sole 7th level spell slot. Let's see if it works any better.

bg2_up33_048.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Well, that was disappointing.

bg2_up33_049.jpg

codex_10.jpg
And this guy was even weaker...

bg2_up33_050.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Why exactly is this encounter BEHIND the shadow dragon? This is no challenge at all.

Look at the bright side. At least we've tested the new spell and it works pretty well.

bg2_up33_051.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Don't mention it. My pleasure.

bg2_up33_052.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Let's hope that at least the loot is interesting.

bg2_up33_053.jpg

codex_10.jpg
A magical chainmail. What a joke.

bg2_up33_054.jpg

codex_10.jpg
This would be really awesome. IN THE PREVIOUS FUCKING GAME!

bg2_up33_055.jpg

But wait, there's more!

bg2_up33_056.jpg

codex_10.jpg
What.

bg2_up33_057.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I guess ol' Amy will need more time to fully recover.

bg2_up33_058.jpg

Healing the area hid it behind the fog of war again, meaning we will have to explore it again.

codex_10.jpg
You're not serious.

But I am!

bg2_up33_060.jpg

We encounter many dangers, such as wild tigers.

bg2_up33_061.jpg

Wild dogs.

bg2_up33_063.jpg

Giant lynxes...

codex_10.jpg
This is no better than the shadow stuff.

At least it is brighter now.

bg2_up33_064.jpg

Area explored.

codex_10.jpg
Let's get the hell out of here and never come back.

Agreed.

bg2_up33_065.jpg

We travel to Umar Hills.

bg2_up33_066.jpg

While trying to talk to Minister Looyd to finish up the shadow temple quest, we are reminded about a different quest we've done for him earlier.

bg2_up33_067.jpg

He takes the news about the Shade Lord pretty well.

codex_10.jpg
That would make me suspicious in a better-written game.

bg2_up33_068.jpg

Our hero drives a hard bargain.

bg2_up33_069.jpg

codex_10.jpg
100 gold? Not funny.

At least we can identify the armor he gave us for that money.

codex_10.jpg
I'm sure I will be able to identify it myself.

bg2_up33_071.jpg

Guess again.

codex_10.jpg
It must be pretty good then! :bounce:

bg2_up33_070.jpg

We also get a repuation increase. We still don't have it maxed out, though. I don't recall this being so tedious a process in my previous playthroughs.

bg2_up33_072.jpg

We also talk to Madulf to get a reward for negotiating with Minister Lloyd for him.

codex_10.jpg
I don't remember any of this to be honest.

bg2_up33_073.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Not bad at all.

I briefly considered dropping the dragon shield and taking this one instead, but 5% magic resistance won't make a difference on the rare occasion we employ a shield, while 25% resistance to elements might come handy someday.

bg2_up33_074.jpg

Time to go back to Unger Hilldark.

bg2_up33_075.jpg

Brothers Hilldark begin a rather lengthy argument. Seriously, they just won't shut up. Considering that the two conversations (this and the previous one with Gorje in the temple) are the only addition to this quest restored by Unfinished Business, it wasn't really worth restoring IMO.

bg2_up33_076.jpg

bg2_up33_077.jpg

bg2_up33_078.jpg

bg2_up33_079.jpg

bg2_up33_080.jpg

bg2_up33_081.jpg

bg2_up33_082.jpg

bg2_up33_083.jpg

bg2_up33_084.jpg

We head in the direction we are pointed to - Bridge District.

bg2_up33_085.jpg

We choose a house at random (not really).

bg2_up33_086.jpg

Neb appeared also in BG1, where he can help you escape the Flaming Fist prison, but our hero was never busted, so we haven't met him.

codex_10.jpg
That would be quite the day when I allowed myself to be put behind bars.

bg2_up33_088.jpg

Neb summons some spirit children and goes invisible with a potion.

codex_10.jpg
It won't help you, midget!

bg2_up33_089.jpg

codex_10.jpg
FUCK!

bg2_up33_090.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Stop doing that!

bg2_up33_091.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I need some breathing room here. Slow down, freaks!

bg2_up33_092.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Not this time, candy-man!

We get lucky and Neb is hit just as he drinks the potion, which dispels his invisibility.

bg2_up33_093.jpg

codex_10.jpg
DIE!

bg2_up33_094.jpg

We get 2500 XP as each child spirit disappears, which is more than we would get for killing destroying them.

bg2_up33_095.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I am only picking this up if you promise not to make any jokes about 'giving head'.

Fine.

bg2_up33_096.jpg

Neb's dagger does additional 20 points of damage-over-time on a failed saving throw, which is quite nice. However, it lacks the base damage punch of Sword of the Mask, so it is not as good for backstabbing.

bg2_up33_097.jpg

codex_10.jpg
He must have been quite the sturdy little dwarf to be carrying THIS around.

bg2_up33_098.jpg

codex_10.jpg
How exactly was he talking with his mouth sewn? Because I sure as hell did not sew it.

bg2_up33_099.jpg

Time to wrap this thing up.

bg2_up33_100.jpg

bg2_up33_101.jpg

First, we get our rightly-desrved reward for killing Neb.

bg2_up33_102.jpg

bg2_up33_103.jpg

We talk to Sir Sarles next. Turns out he sent us to find 200 pounds of illithium only because he thought it was impossible to find.

codex_10.jpg
There is no such thing as 'impossible' for me. I can even prove that there were good things in Fallout 3.

bg2_up33_104.jpg

Time to pass the good news to Guardian Telwyn.

bg2_up33_105.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I hate working for priests, but at least they pay.

bg2_up33_106.jpg

We also get a helm. From a Helm priest. Get it?

bg2_up33_107.jpg

codex_10.jpg
And it's not a bad one either, although it is somewhat depressing, to not find anything superior to Helm of Balduran yet.

Don't expect that to change anytime soon.

---

Next time: The Codex will rescue a certain effeminate actor. Twice.

codex_10.jpg
Do you maybe mean that guy who played Loki in Avengers?

Sorry, no.
Next quest selection details:

Illithids are in the lead for the moment, with Watcher's Keep as a close second.

1. Korgan's Quest [Sodafish]
2. Illithids in Athkatla [Erebus]
3. Illithids in Athkatla [MotherMachinae]
4. Watcher's Keep, level 1 [Desmodus Rotundus]
5. Watcher's Keep, level 1 [Azira]
6. Illithids in Athkatla [Storyfag]
7. Illithids in Athkatla [Aeschylus]
8. Watcher's Keep, level 1 [grosstraktor]

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
This dragon is a whimp. I once defeated it in six strikes (three of them were criticals) with another of my solo characters, the whole combat lasting maybe 15 seconds.

Sodafish

Arcane
True, the shadow dragon is a bit of a pussy. Do you have plans to do ToB afterwards? Soloing Draconis should be more interesting... mind you at that stage you'll prob be nearing 30/30/30 level or something like it, so perhaps not.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Yes, of course I will be doing ToB later, but I don't yet know if I will keep the solo format for it. The one time I tried to solo ToB was a disaster and I wasn't playing on Insane back then and I had a stronger character than The Codex. On the other hand, my munchkin skills have improved somewhat since that time, so we'll see.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Only one death on the dragon? This cannot stand! Therefore: Watcher's Keep.
The first level of Watchers Keep is actually pretty combat-light, and probably won't result in too many Codex-deaths.

Yes, of course I will be doing ToB later, but I don't yet know if I will keep the solo format for it. The one time I tried to solo ToB was a disaster and I wasn't playing on Insane back then and I had a stronger character than The Codex. On the other hand, my munchkin skills have improved somewhat since that time, so we'll see.
Soloing ToB is pretty challenging if you have Ascension installed. At least Demogorgon will be nearly impossible to kill, but it'd be fun to see an attempt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom