Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate 2 on Insane (feat. The Codex)

Bilgefar

Savant
I never got the reasoning behind the Samia quest. She doesn't want to take the risks of defeating the guardians, but she's perfectly fine attacking the people that took that risk and defeated them? Aren't those people more of a risk?

Just goes to show that the only two alignments Bioware knows how to do are Lawful Stupid and Stupid Evil.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
MotherMachinae said:
Few deaths from burning your feets made one, important question in little Codexer life - "Cujo?"
What?
Reference to Blood. Not succesfull, actually...
Blood as in the FPS Blood from the 90s?

In 2e D&D Greater Wolfweres did indeed regenerate entirely at the end of each round, except for severed limbs. They were also exclusive to the Ravenloft setting, but Bioware just had to have them I guess.
Those bastards.

There is a lot cooler monster in ToB which I found to be almost impossible for my own solo run I did long time ago - greater were... WYVERN! :troll: I think it follows rules close to it's wolf cousins. It's in the beginning of Abazigal's lair
I don't really remember ToB all that well. But I'm expecting to have some unexpected help by then, so it should be ok.

I never got the reasoning behind the Samia quest. She doesn't want to take the risks of defeating the guardians, but she's perfectly fine attacking the people that took that risk and defeated them? Aren't those people more of a risk?

Just goes to show that the only two alignments Bioware knows how to do are Lawful Stupid and Stupid Evil.
It makes more sense from a reality point of view (instead of a game point of view). Theoretically you should be wounded and exhausted after fighting the guardians, therefore and easier target. But yeah, overall quite stupid.

Last edited:

T(D?)-Bag

Literate
Unlike most other readers it would seem, I'm actually interested in seeing how broken and powerful the Codex can get and how the more difficult battles would look like without the self-sabotage, except for exploiting the staff of magi.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

It makes more sense from a reality point of view (instead of a game point of view). Theoretically you should be wounded and exhausted after fighting the guardians, therefore and easier target. But yeah, overall quite stupid.

She also does mention powerful magic which prohibits people of certain lineage from entering the tomb. While I'm willing to accept that such magic would be ineffective against a demigod, I fail to see how many, many of charname's possible companions could slip past it.

Don't forget that she and her entire party also got past the alleged ward/seal/whatever. Plus they must have had someone invisible following you to know when to strike, someone who wouldn't show up on true sight or that masks vision. It would have made more sense to have the ambush waiting outside the tomb.

ALchymist

Educated
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Just signed up to say that I only came across The Codex a couple of weeks ago in his original Baldur's Gate adventures. Well done to him (and you) for completing it. Now waiting on his reaction when he first meets Firkraag - and what happens next.

NB - why did Cernd join the party. Unless a mod has changed things, you just need to talk to him to get him to challenge on your behalf?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
NB - why did Cernd join the party. Unless a mod has changed things, you just need to talk to him to get him to challenge on your behalf?
It was the simplest solution and I couldn't be assed to be searching for different ones.

Also, welcome to the RPGCodex. You are the second person I know of, who makes his/her first post in this thread. Things like these make it worthwile to make the LP.

EDIT: BTW, I am hoping to post 2-3 updates next week, but it depends on the workload at my job.

Shadenuat

Arcane
That moment when you run to a LP thread because MicoSelva posted there
:dead:
And he just answered a random guy

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You know you've made a good LP when people register on the Codex to read it :)

Just a random observation there. Please do carry on, MS!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Last time on Let's Insane Solo Baldur's Gate 2:

bg2_up29_018.jpg

The hard part is still ahead of us, though.

------

Update #30: Dragon Quest, part III - The Drag-On Fight

bg2_up30_000.jpg

codex_10.jpg
If you making a stand means I can finally kill you, then by all means go ahead.

bg2_up30_001.jpg

And indeed it meant just the thing.

bg2_up30_002.jpg

We are showing You the death of this random orc so You know we are dedicated to making this dungeon 100% monster free.

codex_10.jpg
Except sneaking by everything that has respawned.

Yes, except that.

bg2_up30_003.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Tazok... Tazok. Nope, doesn't ring a bell.

He helped Sarevok.

codex_10.jpg
Helped who?

Forget it.

bg2_up30_004.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I don't remember you at all, but maybe this spell will prove en-lightning.

It seems we are having a bad pun day today. Sorry about that.

bg2_up30_005.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Wow, I think this was the first time when lightning-bouncing proved beneficial to me.

Here lies Tazok. Killed with one Level 3 spell. R.I.P.

bg2_up30_006.jpg

He had some stuff on him.

bg2_up30_007.jpg

Finding this here would make more sense if it was a random drop.

codex_10.jpg
It is pretty random, IMO.

bg2_up30_008.jpg

Chief Digdag had some sort of magical armor.

bg2_up30_009.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Why do they even bother to enchant plate mail, if it is cheaper to just buy a full plate?

bg2_up30_010.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Ooh, shiny!

bg2_up30_011.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Ooh, shinier!

I see an unfamiliar spell symbol.

bg2_up30_012.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Looks like fun to use.

I always give all the fun to use spells to the third mage in the party, after making sure the first two have useful stuff.

codex_10.jpg
We don't even have a second mage.

Problem solved.

bg2_up30_013.jpg

You can still learnt it. Free XP is free and XP.

bg2_up30_015.jpg

We also find this scroll. Might prove handy.

bg2_up30_016.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Oh, great, another one of those plot doors.

bg2_up30_017.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Just to be clear here, lass, I'm not throwing myself at anyone, especially anyone male.

bg2_up30_018.jpg

The door to the empty cell is closed too. Just so You know.

bg2_up30_019.jpg

codex_10.jpg
HOLY SHIT HE'S FUCKING HUGE!

bg2_up30_020.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Um, what? Let me get this straight. Gorion kicked your ass. And you are challenging me, even though I am much much much stronger than him. Does not compute?

bg2_up30_021.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Oh, yeah, right. I can see Gorion rolling in his grave with the eyes of my imagination. Totally.

bg2_up30_022.jpg

codex_10.jpg
So, you've dragged me all the way here. Even sending me a challenge. In writing. And all this just to tell me you don't really want to to fight me and instead I should just continue what I was doing. For your amusement. WHAT THE FUCK.

bg2_up30_023.jpg

codex_10.jpg
That depends. Is she still a virgin?

bg2_up30_024.jpg

I even wanted to follow this quest route and steal the deed from old Windspear, but he bugged out and disappeared from the game entirely after our previous conversation.

bg2_up30_025.jpg

codex_10.jpg
brb

bg2_up30_027.jpg

codex_10.jpg
He doesn't see me. Let's try backstabbing.

I think he has Stoneskin cast.

bg2_up30_028.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Damn, he does.

bg2_up30_029.jpg

Some quality Bioware writing here.

bg2_up30_030.jpg

Conster protects himself from normal weapons and goes invisible with Mislead.

bg2_up30_031.jpg

We destroy his image clone.

bg2_up30_032.jpg

He is basically dead in the moment of becoming partially visible.

bg2_up30_033.jpg

codex_10.jpg
No hard feelings, shit-eater.

bg2_up30_034.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Firkraag does not invest in his goons' gear much.

bg2_up30_035.jpg

We have the plot key.

bg2_up30_036.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Yeah, you go on ahead. I need to take care of something first.

bg2_up30_037.jpg

And we got a Fighter level up. Good timing.

bg2_up30_038.jpg

The Codex now has some proficiency with short swords.

bg2_up30_039.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Guess who's baaaaack?!

bg2_up30_040.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I guess there is only one way to find out!

bg2_up30_041.jpg

Our first attempt is done just like that, with no buffs. Firkraag immediately protects himself with Stoneskin, but we'll take that over Contingency any time.

bg2_up30_042.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Whoa, I can fly!

Firkraag starts firing away his spells and dragon abilities (damn wing buffet). Our hero has problems even getting close, not to mention landing a hit.

bg2_up30_043.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Say hello to my little friend!

bg2_up30_044.jpg

I did not really expect it to work the first time.

Death Count: 165

Load.

codex_10.jpg
I don't think there is time to summon demons WHILE THE FUCKING DRAGON IS TRYING TO KILL ME!

bg2_up30_045.jpg

Let's summon it beforehand then.

bg2_up30_046.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I CHALLENGED A DRAGON! WHAT WAS I THINKING!?

Our hero does not save vs. Dragon Fear this time.

bg2_up30_047.jpg

The Codex's saving throws are awesome and stuff, but we need some reliable spell protection.

Death Count: 166

Load game.

codex_10.jpg
How about some buffs?

Let's start with one.

bg2_up30_048.jpg

Spell Trap is one of the great great abilities provided by Staff of the Magi. I really wish we had Stoneskin available too, but at this point we were out.

bg2_up30_049.jpg

codex_10.jpg
How about you actually do something this time, fiend?

bg2_up30_050.jpg

codex_10.jpg
To be honest, fighting him with this stick does feel like trying to kill an ogre with a toothpick.

bg2_up30_051.jpg

You've just missed a 150-feet long dragon.

codex_10.jpg
Don't talk to me.

bg2_up30_052.jpg

codex_10.jpg
FUCK, that hurt!

That does it for Nabassu.

bg2_up30_053.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I bid you all farewell.

bg2_up30_054.jpg

It seems there is absolutely no point in going toe-to-toe with Firkraag without any buffs.

Death Count: 167

Load again.

codex_10.jpg
That was funny and all, but we need to start taking this seriously, because dying hurts. Also, that Nabassu sucks donkey cock.

bg2_up30_055.jpg

The old BG1 times of spamming summons are long gone, but we can at least have five Fire elementals at the same time.

bg2_up30_056.jpg

Let's see if that is enough.

bg2_up30_057.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Burns! Burns!

bg2_up30_058.jpg

codex_10.jpg
ARGHGHRGRHRGH!

And red dragons breathe fire. Hard.

bg2_up30_059.jpg

It was not enough.

Death Count: 168

Load once again.

codex_10.jpg
Do we have any way of protecting me against that fire?

Well, we have the fire ring, but 40% resistance will not be enough. We also have the dragon shield, but You need both hands to use Your staff.

codex_10.jpg
It is indeed a mighty staff.

bg2_up30_060.jpg

Let's see if Spell Trap can protect You from the fire.

bg2_up30_061.jpg

Nope.

Death Count: 169

codex_10.jpg
Any other ideas?

bg2_up30_062.jpg

Maybe we need to be faster and kill him before he kills You.

codex_10.jpg
ThisUsuallyWorks.

bg2_up30_063.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Oomph!

Wake up! Wake up!

bg2_up30_064.jpg

This isn't going anywhere.

Death Count: 170

Load the game.

codex_10.jpg
It seems that this isn't an usual enough fight for the usual ideas to work.

Let's try something completely different then.

codex_10.jpg
Like what?

bg2_up30_065.jpg

Stay back and shoot him with arrows of piercing.

codex_10.jpg
LooksLikeItsWorking!

bg2_up30_066.jpg

codex_10.jpg
UhOhIThinkHeJustGotPissed.

bg2_up30_067.jpg

I still think we have made some progress.

Death Count: 171

Load, load, load!

codex_10.jpg
I really need some protection from that fire...

I'll see what we can do.

bg2_up30_068.jpg

Check this out, we've found this scroll of Fire Shield (Red) earlier.

codex_10.jpg
IHopeItWorks.

bg2_up30_069.jpg

codex_10.jpg
MOTHERFUCKER!

Firkraag's fire breath still hurts, though.

bg2_up30_070.jpg

Fire Elementals are unable to do anything to the dragon, their only role here is to provide distraction.

bg2_up30_071.jpg

It is however doubtful if they can last long enough.

codex_10.jpg
ThanksForTheVoteOfConfidence!

bg2_up30_072.jpg

After we ran out of Fire Elementals, it was quickly over.

Death Count: 172

The Load.

codex_10.jpg
Have you ever been eaten by a dragon?

What kind of a question is that?

codex_10.jpg
The teeth are fucking huge up close.

bg2_up30_073.jpg

Another attempt. Our hero stands just in range, hoping not to draw Firkraag's attention sooner than it is necessary.

bg2_up30_074.jpg

The main strength of our Fire Elementals is that they laugh off Firkraag's breath weapon.

bg2_up30_075.jpg

codex_10.jpg
SecondWaveAttack!

bg2_up30_076.jpg

codex_10.jpg
It's like throwing pebbles at a stone wall.

bg2_up30_077.jpg

The +6 damage modifier of arrows of piercing is cancelled by either Firkraag's magic immunity or his saving throws, but their +4 THAC0 bonus is very useful. Although, in retrospect, using +2 arrows would probably have been more effective.

bg2_up30_078.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I don't know if You've noticed but we are rapidly running out of elementals here.

He's already near death, just keep shooting!

bg2_up30_079.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Uhm...

KEEP SHOOTING!

bg2_up30_080.jpg

Fuck, fuck, fuck! :x

Death Count: 173

Load the game.

codex_10.jpg
There will be a time when I will stand in front of you with my bow and you will be cowering in fear, lying on the ground with arrows sticking out of your knees, begging me to spare your life. Then I will remember this very moment and just KEEP SHOOTING!

Um, yeah. Ok.

bg2_up30_081.jpg

Skipping forward to when the first wave of elementals dies. Our hero is already withdrawn to a tactical spot.

bg2_up30_082.jpg

codex_10.jpg
GoForthMyFlamingBasketballTeam!

bg2_up30_083.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I just got very tired...

It's the caffeine Haste wearing off.

bg2_up30_084.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I think he just killed himself.

Just as we were going to finish him off, obviously. Maybe we could not bear the thought of being killed by You?

codex_10.jpg
What do we do?

Load the game, of course.

bg2_up30_085.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I think we have been in this spot already. Should I KEEP SHOOTING?

No, quick, cast Magic Missile!

bg2_up30_086.jpg

Fuck, I've just noticed that Your Fire Shield has already disappeared.

codex_10.jpg
No fireshield? That's bad.

bg2_up30_087.jpg

Indeed.

Death Count: 174

Loadette.

codex_10.jpg
That wasn't the best moment for that spell to wear off.

Yes, we could live without that happening. Especially You.

bg2_up30_088.jpg

Skipping to the point when the second wave of Elementals is almost dead.

bg2_up30_089.jpg

We wisely withdraw.

bg2_up30_090.jpg

Fire Shield wears off at just that moment, so we renew it.

bg2_up30_091.jpg

Summonning the third wave of elementals, Two should be enough. Hopefully. The Staff of Fire is running out of charges.

bg2_up30_092.jpg

Our hero casts Magic Missiles and shoots arrows while the spellcasting cooldown lasts.

bg2_up30_093.jpg

codex_10.jpg
ARGH. MyArm!HeToreMyArmOff!

Two elementals were not enough, it seems.

bg2_up30_094.jpg

These are one huge stairs, by the way.

Death Count: 175

Loading like crazy.

codex_10.jpg
How about we don't go cheap on the elementals?

Fine.

bg2_up30_095.jpg

Firkraag's magic resistance almost makes the Magic Missiles not worth it.

bg2_up30_096.jpg

Almost.

bg2_up30_097.jpg

On average they do more damage than an arrow.

codex_10.jpg
:yeah::yeah:

bg2_up30_098.jpg

64K XP is around 72% of the experience cap in BG1.

codex_10.jpg
Thank you for that useless information.

bg2_up30_099.jpg

I like how they thought of providing us with the Identify scroll, in case we did not have one with us, so we could check what the badass looking sword is.

bg2_up30_100.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Not THAT bad.

Too bad we don't have any inventory space to spare.

bg2_up30_101.jpg

codex_10.jpg
*JAWDROP*

When I first saw this sword, it made me wish I was a paladin.

codex_10.jpg
Soon, you will be mine, Carsomyr. Soon.

bg2_up30_102.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Looks promising.

bg2_up30_103.jpg

codex_10.jpg
It would have been useful to have this scroll BEFORE this fight.

bg2_up30_104.jpg

We wouldn't have used it anyway, since it's the first time we find this spell.

bg2_up30_105.jpg

Levelling up. The Codex' Set Trap skill is now more than respectable.

bg2_up30_106.jpg

We talk to Iltha after leaving the dungeon. Her father is still missing, meaning we probably can't finish some part of the quest.

codex_10.jpg
Damn bugs!

bg2_up30_107.jpg

Before we finish for today, we visit one more person.

bg2_up30_108.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I wouldn't want to wear a helmet made from a cock. Trice or not.

bg2_up30_109.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Good thing I kept it then.

bg2_up30_110.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Sure, why not.

bg2_up30_111.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Uhm, am I supposed to wait while you work? I was hoping I could just come back tomorrow. Hello?

bg2_up30_112.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Let's see if it is any good.

bg2_up30_113.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Nice!

This was always my favourite armor in the game, since it was treated as non-magical, so the user could also wear ring of protection with it. I thought it was because the armor was superior to a standard one sue to have been made of dragon scale, and was indeed non-magical, but this ability has been removed by some fixpack or another (so it was a glitch after all, it seems). Still, Red Dragon Scale is going to replace our standard full plate, if only for the bonus to Fire Resistance.

---

Next time: The Codex willingly goes to help a priest, and regrets it pretty fast.

codex_10.jpg
Figures.
Next quest selection details:
Temple ruins have been explored, so we're taking new requests as of now.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
I wonder what caused Firkraag's death the first time ? Did he somehow manage to use Wing Buffet on himself ?

Regarding the next quest, I'm voting again for Haer'Dalis and the Astral Prison.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
I think he has some kind of dragon fireball ability that deals AoE and he is not completely immune to fire, so he killed himself trying to use it on the fire elementals at point blank range.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Obviously You'll see it in upcoming updates. The new voting is for what to do afterwards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom