Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Jester

Arbiter
Jester, maybe we should proofread that letter before we send it to BJ. ;) Keep in mind that the ridiculous terms that BJ has set on us are a double-edged sword if we're victorious, and he's the one who loses. We can use this self-righteousness against him, but we need to prepare by studying up on our opponent as much as possible.
I don't expect my version of letter to be final its more like concept mby something more polite would work better. So simple version would be 1) make a demand JB can't accept right away and give him some time to consider/deal with getting us time to heal and play this game on our terms. 2) Use the public attention of JB vs Man Tiger Pork match to issue Z challenge in way it would look bad for 8 sects to decline or use small fry tactic. 3) Gain some info from people JB faced before like last year forerunner if we will hit Emei. Some sore loosers could say that troll win in last fight is invalid so mby redo that match if needed. 4) Mby use this quest as opportunity to met heads of school and solve some things. People chosen by heads would be best for clearing challenge and if some small fry would say its not fair that they were not choosen? Old timers decided you suck to much sorry talk with them. BTW niggers owns us money so we could met Qi to get our share and find out who are beggars skilled champions are we still need to find them i think. Mad one would not be amused if find out we didn't face them.
Nevill, that's an interesting take on the situation. There's no doubt that Yu Gan is genuine, of course. Perhaps their contingency here is to have BJ humiliate us so that we have to take more drastic measures to regain a measure of respect in the pugilistic world.

Well, whether BJ is part of the conspiracy or not, for all intents and purposes with regards to this choice, it doesn't matter. We can be fairly certain that the medicine he's offering is genuine, because he knows that if we take the medicine, we cannot reasonably refuse a challenge from him. If our arm is hurt and we give back the medicine because we tell him we don't trust it, at least we have a way out of the match without losing face. But nevertheless, it could just be that BJ is simply a slimy douche, nothing more to it.
Possible but i don't think that is the case. Palladins... ehem shiny guys either do it to disguise thmselfs or cos they believe that trully. I picture BJ second with add on of narcissistic touch, you know "look at me doing the right thing. I am greatest person alive aint I? Course i am." Can be wrong course we dont know much about him, with isnt part of his public image at least.
I dont think that declining herb like that would be good thing to do. I expect that explanation for not taking medicine for it being suspicious wont work, it would be afront towards JB like telling him: you poison those screw you! Taking into consideration his reputation such insinuations would looks very badly for all orthodox parties. We WOULD look like sore ungrateful looser for that. Excuse that we appreciate gesture but don't wish to be indebted to him/wish to face this problem with our own strength would work better but dont void that loose. Its more like loose/loose more situation.
The Wudang member who accepted Guo Fu into the sect was also a committee member, though their headed by a first-generation leader, so they're also less likely to be corrupt than what we've seen of the Huashan and Kunlun so far. It seems that next-gen popamole has infected the pugilistic world with :decline:.
Old guard did tell us that generation currently ruling the martial art world is no good so people are directly affected by this.
I kinda doubt that we can keep pissing all over their honor concept and getting away with it, especially if we're gonna try this discrediting schtick on BJ.

What "discrediting shtick"? The only way to discredit him is to kick his ass. And the only way to do that is by getting help from everyone we possibly can, Yandi among them. Otherwise, we just try to win the tournament for the manual (though I don't see how one technique trumps a humiliating defeat over our greatest rival and a chance to establish ourselves as top dog of the pugilistic world), return the medicine to him, and leave.
Mby not discredit rather like humiliate him.

Jester

Arbiter
If we don't intend to fight BJ just now (and it's looking like most voters aren't) then we should simply return the medicine to him after tomorrow's finals. Ignore his silly challenge, we've got better shit to do. He told us that the medicine requires two days to heal us up, so giving the medicine back is proof that we won't be back at 100% when it's time to fight him. We can just say that we don't trust him to give us something that isn't spiked when he threw such ridiculous terms at us. It isn't perfect, but it's a fuck of a lot better than "I took the medicine but I dun wanna fight lol"
In my letter
"PPS THX FOR MEDICINE JACKASS! YOUR ASSISTANCE IN MAKING 8 SECTS MY BIATCH IS APPRECIATED."
or mby
"WILL SELL THIS FOR SHITLOAD OF GOLD, TODAYS DRINKS ON YOU SUCKER!"
Isnt polite discussion a wonderful thing? Master Qi would be proud of us.

Jester

Arbiter
If you do not have gray hair or wrinkly arms or a physique of a 30 year old, no one gives a damn.
By the end of it, however, streaks of white had appeared in your hair, far before your time.
Hair turning white with grief or pain is a traditional genre cliche predating animu. :rpgcodex:

E.g. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bride_with_White_Hair

Edit: Your healing will be slower than other pugilists. This applies to internal injuries mainly, not superficial ones. In this context internal injuries refers to the sort that disrupt your qi and weaken you. You'll have to let things recover of their own accord.
Emm yeah its not like Jing got any gray hair or something.
:troll:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Tournament Finals: Nameless

In front of you stands your opponent, the masked fighter known as Nameless. The audience is excited and louder than ever. Two mysterious masked contestants – one of which has admitted to be Zhang Jue’s disciple and has received a challenge from the previous champion, while the other has exhibited a style of martial arts no one has ever seen in near flawless victories all through the tournament – it is no surprise that the final match would draw a larger crowd than usual.

After the both of you bow to each other, you spot the Abbot of Shaolin observing the match from his seat. You should probably try to win this one. Right before the match, Master Qi had made his customary appearance and happily informed you that both he and Abbot Fangzhang had decided to pool their money and bet on you for the grand finale. Something about showing those foreign devils what for, he’d said.

As the fight begins, you try to recall everything you know about your opponent.

The fighter is a she, under that disguise. She is likely affiliated with the other two masked fighters in the tournament, Faceless and Shapeless. Qilin has told you that her moves hail from a form of martial arts practised by a Zoroastrian fire cult – it is likely they all belong to the same organization. She is highly skilled, almost as good as Yifang. Both Qilin and Cao’er think Nameless is at least as fast as you are, though not nearly as strong.

She makes the first move, darting in to deliver a blow to your solar plexus. You parry her attack and throw your foot upwards in a kick that she dodges gracefully. Nameless steps back, her expression inscrutable behind that tiger mask. With a slight, mocking shrug, as if that exchange disappointed her, she dives back in again with a flurry of punches and kicks. You retaliate with the same, the both of you moving around the stage in a flowing dance of attack and counter-attack. She matches your speed with ease, finding more than enough time to give a reply for whatever you can throw at her. Your superior strength will be of no use if you cannot find a way to pin her down.

As the exchange of moves continues, you realize that she is steadily increasing her focus on your left side, where your defense is poorer thanks to your injured arm. A quick feint to your left causes you to overextend yourself, compensating too much for your injury. Nameless is quick to capitalize on the chance that she has created. Two solid blows land in the middle of your chest, forcing you back.

Instead of pursuing you, your masked opponent puts her hands on her hips and shakes her head wordlessly. The crowd cheers at this reversal; Man Tiger Pig is getting a taste of his own medicine and they are enjoying the show.

You scratch your head and nod vigorously in response, acknowledging that you have to do better. Taking a stance, this time you go on the attack. Cao’er had told you about a little quirk that Nameless seems to exhibit. She will always favour evading to her right, attempting to keep to her opponent’s left. Taking careful, measured strikes, you wait for your chance.

Even as Nameless takes a quick step to her right, narrowly dodging your straight kick, you have already predicted her course and begun your follow-up. A single elbow strike is all you can manage with your left arm, but it is enough to force her to block. Your attack crashes against her forearms, causing her to give out a single yelp of pain. Being the scoundrel that you are, you ignore a damsel’s cry of distress and act to compound said distress by lashing out with the back of your fist. Your blow breaks her guard, forcing Nameless to back off in a hurry.

This time, it is your turn to play to the audience. You wag a finger at her, sending the crowd wild.

Nameless raises her hands and claps it thrice slowly and sarcastically in response. Then, she rushes in to continue the fight.

After a series of blows, again you lure her into dodging right. As you launch your counter, you realize that you have been tricked. She is ready for you this time. Her leg snaps up swiftly in a powerful crescent kick. Cursing your carelessness, you redirect your efforts into defense just in time to grab her foot, stopping it from landing right in your flank.

You pull at the foot, trying to drag her towards you, but with a quick wiggle she frees her foot from the boot and hops away, leaving you with a piece of empty footwear in your hand. Before you can drop it, however, her other boot comes sailing towards you, smacking you right in the pig’s snout.

The crowd seems to really like that one, judging by their guffaws.

Nameless skips from bare foot to bare foot before settling into a stance and beckoning at you, daring you to make the next move.

You oblige.

The dance continues, as both of you circle around the stage without managing to get a firm upper hand on the other. Nameless is quick enough to evade your blows and skilled enough to prevent you from drawing your sword. On the other hand, her attacks aren’t powerful enough that you are unable to block them, unlike Guo Fu’s hammer-like punches. She is using her neigong to augment her strikes – with every hit you can feel a mild burning sensation where her fists and kicks land, but your own qi swallows up the effect quickly enough for it not to matter.

More worryingly, she seems to be getting faster and faster with every exchange, as if she is testing her own speed against yours. You are not sure if you will be able to keep up at this rate; Nameless could very likely end up being quicker than you are. It looks like she has been holding back throughout the competition... You have no choice.

Taking a deep breath, you exert your qinggong. Your steps become lighter and faster; your sudden burst of speed catches your masked opponent off guard as you manage to get behind her.

At this range and angle, even a lightly executed Chuzhan Fist should be enough to hit her. You drive a straight punch right towards her back.

She turns, surprised.

Then, she – somehow – somersaults backwards from her disadvantageous position before your fist hits home. As she lands, she immediately runs at you, faster than she has ever moved before.

It’ll be a feint. If you throw an attack at her right now, she will evade it and counter – she is ready for it. You settle backwards into a defensive stance.

It does you no good.

Nameless’s visage blurs as she darts to the side right before she gets into range, faster than your eyes can follow. This is a speed you cannot match. You try to turn your head to track her, something about her technique seeming extremely familiar to you.

That’s right.

There's no mistaking it.

Yinglang Step.

You know enough of the technique to prepare a counter attack, but the masked fighter has already flanked you with incredible speed, her palm hitting just under your ribcage. She unleashes her qi with that strike. The burning is intense. It is as if the churning, murky sea of oil that is your own qi was just lit up by a match. A searing conflagration scorches your body from within for just a brief second before your internal energy swallows it up, smothering it in darkness.

It looks like Nameless was expecting you to fall with that attack… her follow-up comes a split second too slow, as does your counter, from the unexpected strength of her neigong. The both of you evade the mutual attacks by a hair’s breadth.

Her uppercut catches the chin of the pig, tearing it off.

Your Shouwang Claws hooks the cheek of the tiger, ripping it off.

The paper-and-cloth masks flutter to the ground of the stage as the crowd holds their breath.

Your first thought is that you should have thought of that. A mask underneath a mask. Nameless is wearing an ornate, white porcelain mask that covers the top of her face, her straight black hair having come untied thanks to the force of your attack. Stylized fire is painted across the surface of the mask. Even with her face covered, however, you can tell that she is likely a peerless beauty.

A beauty that is decidedly not Persian, whose people you have seen before during your time in the court. Instead…

The corners of her lips twist upwards in a taunting smile full of mockery as she hops backwards, putting some more distance between the both of you. The match is still on, even if the both of you are now unmasked. Well, you more so than she is…

A. You have no hope of matching her speed – and having a chance of winning – without going all out and using Yuanshi Hundun in combination with the Kuanglang Step. If that is what you need to do to achieve victory, so be it.

B. You hold back on using your neigong; Nameless is not Guo Fu, and you could just as easily kill her or injure her too severely if you lose control at an inopportune moment. You will try to win without it.

1. If she is who you think she is… you attempt to engage Nameless in conversation. Perhaps it will distract her. Or perhaps it will distract you. Still, you need to know for sure.

2. You would rather focus on the fight instead. You can always talk to her afterwards, right?

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
flop A2

lethal tech/ non lethal/ lethal/ non lethal
sounds like Russian roulette to me
Ok lets play that.

Last edited:
A2

If that's who I think she is, we have no hope of winning through simple tauntering, she clearly knows troll-fighting too. Its not going to work this time, folks. We need to focus on the fight. Who would expect Man Tiger Pig to focus seriously rather than on troll-fighting?

Esquilax

Arcane
treave, if we pick A, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll come at Nameless with the same intensity we did against Guo Fu, right? If she's Yunzi, a possible strategy here could be to simply call her name, then use the burst of speed from Yuanshi Hundun to just push her out of the ring. However, I'm afraid of the onlookers listening to us and getting a hint of her identity; does Jing know any Tujue phrases that he can use to talk to her? Maybe, have Jing say something like "Daughter of Khan Bulun" in Tujue to show that we know who she is?

All the evidence points to this being Yunzi:

Yunzi strikes without hesitation - she takes the first move and drives her fist towards your face. She is fast… perhaps faster than you are.
You get a whiff of sweat mixed with her fragrance as Yunzi looks at you in anger and humiliation - you are decidedly stronger and she won’t be able to break your hold easily.

She's faster than us, we're much stronger, she's using the Yinglang Step, and is not Persian. It makes sense that a nomadic tribe like the Tujue would end up encountering groups of Persians in their travels. I'm almost certain that she's Yunzi, everything about Nameless is consistent with that.

If that's who I think she is, we have no hope of winning through simple tauntering, she clearly knows troll-fighting too. Its not going to work this time, folks. We need to focus on the fight. Who would expect Man Tiger Pig to focus seriously rather than on troll-fighting?

You realize that if we seriously injure her, we lose the match anyways, right? It's a loss by DQ. She's tough, but the only reason we were confidently able to go up against the big guy with such intensity is that he is a fucking beast with a powerful defensive neigong. That logic won't work so well here, I fear. Anyways, it's not like we haven't fought seriously in the tournament before, I'm fairly sure that Nameless/Yunzi will be prepared for our intensity.

Voting B1 for now, though I could be persuaded to flop. I'm positive she's Yunzi, everything we know is consistent with it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You will try not to strike killing blows, but with your techniques there's always that risk. As long as you are using your neigong it will fall under A. As for Tujue language, Jing doesn't really speak it. He doesn't know the word for daughter, for example. There's no need to call out her name to talk to her, though.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
You pull at the foot, trying to drag her towards you, but with a quick wiggle she frees her foot from the boot and hops away, leaving you with a piece of empty footwear in your hand. Before you can drop it, however, her other boot comes sailing towards you, smacking you right in the pig’s snout.

Now where have we seen this before...? A1

A2

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
A2 If this is Yunzi, then showing any opening or weakness means we lose. Besides, she can take it. Yunzi is definitely not the type to relax her guard in the middle of a fight. Against Jing, if anything, her competitive spirit would be even stronger and she would easily resort to any tricks to open up Jing's guard. Since Jing is injured and Yunzi will exploit everything she can, we have no alternative but to go at it 100% to be able to win.

A1 means we try to go at her full power but without putting our full focus on our fighting techniques. Either she trips us up or we wind up accidentally injuring her. Either way, we lose. Any vote that starts with B means we lose. If we can't match her, it's game over.

Besides, I highly doubt she wouldn't talk to us afterwards.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
A2 or B1, whichever has more votes. I'm not sure which choice we should go with, as if we injure her or kill her we'll obviously lose in addition to having done that, but we might not get far enough with our regular boostery, either.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A2

Time for our abyssmal luck to kick in...

Let's do it!

Um, you guys voting A1, do you want to kill her? Because that's the killing choice if ever there was one. We'd be engaging her in a mutually distracting conversation whilst using a deadly technique that requires both luck and mental focus to be non-lethal. It's not going to turn out pretty.

Great, just our luck that she would be here as well. This looks like a tough choice, but for once I would like to stick with the decision we made. We voted A in the previous choice because we wanted to win this, even if it meant not learning what we could about BJ, probably with the plan of seeking to delay the duel with him to some other time. For that purpose I think I'll take A2 here.

A because I don't think that without that we are going to win. Even if we are going to use our inner strength, we can use our beggar techniques instead of the more lethal Maniac techniques to reduce the chance of an unwanted injury. All we need our inner strength for is speed - once we catch her there is no need to use much of our strength. And 2 because I feel that talking to her is only going to end up distracting us, possibly leading to us hurting her in the process. She can see our face, so if she is the princess there is a good chance she already knows who we are and yet she didn't let that slow her down in the slightest. Lets just concentrate on wining without maiming or killing her - if she is who we think she is we can (hopefully) talk to her later. The possibility of injuring her here is still my biggest concern, but even in that case I think the consequences would mostly be a public relations nightmare for us and nothing permanent for her - after all, we do have the second best damn medic in the country behind us to help her and we can give her that medicine if she needs it, at least then it would be put to good use.

Though I also have to say that the statement that we "have no hope of matching her speed – and having a chance of winning" sounds strange to me. Guo Fu had no hope of matching our speed and still damn near won against us, all he needed was one strike. And that is all we need against her as well - maybe this situation is comparable to that fight, only now we are the slower, but much stronger fighter that is resilient to the opponents main attack technique. So maybe we could still win with B1 as well. Hey treave are votes counted separately again?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
As usual, numbered choices go in a group. You don't have Guo Fu's endurance, so you can't afford to sit there and get pummeled, waiting for an opening, like he can.

Absinthe

Arcane
treave, if we pick A, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll come at Nameless with the same intensity we did against Guo Fu, right?
We won't be going at her with full power killing techniques, obviously.

If she's Yunzi, a possible strategy here could be to simply call her name, then use the burst of speed from Yuanshi Hundun to just push her out of the ring. However, I'm afraid of the onlookers listening to us and getting a hint of her identity; does Jing know any Tujue phrases that he can use to talk to her? Maybe, have Jing say something like "Daughter of Khan Bulun" in Tujue to show that we know who she is?
She's already seen Jing's face. We don't have any chances to surprise her by revealing we know who she is. Also, if she is Yunzi, then she knows how to distract Jing. And on the off chance she's not Yunzi, this will only amount to Jing distracting himself. Either way, we are fighting at a disadvantage and we are not gaining anything out of this.

She's faster than us, we're much stronger, she's using the Yinglang Step, and is not Persian. It makes sense that a nomadic tribe like the Tujue would end up encountering groups of Persians in their travels. I'm almost certain that she's Yunzi, everything about Nameless is consistent with that.
Agreed.

You realize that if we seriously injure her, we lose the match anyways, right? It's a loss by DQ. She's tough, but the only reason we were confidently able to go up against the big guy with such intensity is that he is a fucking beast with a powerful defensive neigong. That logic won't work so well here, I fear. Anyways, it's not like we haven't fought seriously in the tournament before, I'm fairly sure that Nameless/Yunzi will be prepared for our intensity.
So vote A2. A2 is the choice where we put our full focus into our techniques, which reduces our chances of accidentally injuring her and increases our chances of successfully beating her.

Baltika9

Arcane
This is definitely Yunzi-who else would remember our shoe trick?-all the signs point to it and she definitely knows whoe exactly we are.
As for the choice, I'd rather take the risk of loss to establish contact, so B1 for me.
However, A1 sounds horrible, as it has the greatest chance of injuring her and fucking us on all fronts. It's either A2, win now ask questions later, or establish contact and try to get her guard down.

Absinthe

Arcane
Baltika9, what? We can establish contact when we win. She already knows we're Xu Jing. Establishing contact is a given unless we lose respect in her eyes for holding back. Part of the reason why she is interested in Jing is because he didn't hold back against her. You know we have a low chance of winning, so if you decide to "risk it" that actually means you decide to lose and lose face while you're at it. Besides, there's no way to win if you vote B1. You don't use your full strength and you don't put your full attention into your martial arts. The only way would be if you managed to convince her to take a dive, which is completely against Yunzi's character. All this for no other reason than to confirm that she is who we think she is, which is completely unnecessary and would happen later anyway.

Yunzi is the kind of girl whose respect is earned by defeating her and lost by holding back against her.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Once boots started flying around, I was squeeing like a little girl.

We need to win that one more than anything else. Now that we have refused to take the medicine, we can't fight Bai Jiutian, and we can not leave empty-handed, either, because our reputation is at stake.

There are two real choices here, A2 and B1. Either you do your best and concentrate on not breaking the rules with Yuanshi Hundun, or you bet on a relatively peaceful resolution with B1 where you attempt to talk her down, not take her down. Sadly, I do not think talking will work here. She took a look under your mask and her only reaction was a mocking smile. She might have recognized you, and that didn't slow her down for a second. She is a very competitive type, one that is not likely to listen to you unless she establishes who is superior first.

You could try to reason with her if you allude to your own standing with her tribe, not to your personal relationship, because honestly, it wasn't a very warm and fuzzy one. The problem is, I do not know what happened between her and her tribe and why she is with the Persians now. Talking with her might have an opposite effect than the one you hope for. What is exactly that you are hoping for, anyway?

On the other hand, prevailing in a fight would ensure that she will seek to challenge you again, even more so if she remembered who you are, because the girl is a very sore loser, not unlike Jing.

A1 sounds like it will ruin your concentration and result in your disqualification, and B2 will probaly end in a failure because you are starting to feel that you are being overwhelmed by her speed.

A2 for now.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom