Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
1. A - 14, B - 7
2. A - 11, B - 10

Closing the votes with AA victory.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Man, this thread sure does grow fast.

Too bad we had to abandon Master Yao, but I think there was no other choice :(

treave, does defeating the other disciples at the tournament count for our new Master's purpose of humiliating the orthodox sects?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yup, and they have to be acknowledged as one of the best in their age group. You'll find out rather early from locker room gossip who are the candidates from each sect for you to exterminate now that you've chosen to participate.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Rumours of Qingcheng

After searching fruitlessly for a few days, you are forced to trade away a good amount of your rations to a beggar for news of Master Yao and Cao’er; the Southern Maniac was not the type to have money lying around for your perusal. The beggar, looking slightly put off at the dried gall bladders and jerky, decided to fulfil his part of the bargain anyway. You found out that he had last been spotted heading west, to Chengdu.

The sparse vegetation rustles. You hear shouts. Men, their voices coarse and mocking. You lightly run up a nearby tree, nimbly catching onto a branch and pulling yourself up to find a vantage point. You’ve heard from the traders that this route is infested with bandits. Perhaps this is one of those encounters.

A young nun backs out of the bushes; it’s the same rookie that you fought on Yinhu Island. She has replaced the skull cap you took from her. Three more thugs waving axes surround her, shouting and leering. The nun – Sister Yifang, you believe she was called – draws her sword and takes a stance. The bandits laugh at her. One of them steps forward, striking at her with the back of his axe – it seems that they plan on taking her alive.

The nun leans backwards to avoid the attack and cuts the man’s arm smoothly in one single motion. A thick red line appears across his hairy forearm. As the bandit shouts out in pain, his comrades lash out at the nun in retaliation. Her footwork is light and agile, carrying her away from the wild strikes of the bandits with ease. However, her counterattacks only manage to scratch the bandits, doing little else. From your perch, you quickly understand the nun’s problem. Although she is skilled for her age, she is afraid to hurt them. Her nervous slashes lack killing intent.

Slowly but surely, the bandits corner the nun. She backs into the tree that you are on, finding nowhere to run.

You leap off the branch without warning, landing knee-first on the face of one of the bandits.You feel his nose squash under your knee as you smash him to the ground. Rolling back to your feet, you immediately bring your heel down on the fallen man hard. There is the sound of cracking bone, though you do not bother looking at your handiwork. Instead, you take the measure of your remaining opponents. They are strong men but clearly untrained and unrefined.

The first attack comes, the axe’s head whistling through the air. Your arm sweeps out and intercepts his swing before it reaches its apex. With your left hand you dig into the man’s inner wrist; you tighten your grasp and rip your fingers away. Blood trails along with your fingers, your claws splitting his skin and tearing his tendons at the same time. The bandit’s hand seizes up painfully as he drops the axe. At the same time, you adopt the stance of the Chuzhan Fist. Breathing in deeply, you take a quick half step forward as you drive your vertical fist into his chest with all your might, unleashing your inner strength in an brief, explosive burst. The man is thrown backwards, crashing into a nearby tree. He flops to the ground and lies still, as leaves from the shaken tree fall all around him. When you turn around, the other bandit has turned his back to run. You crouch – from this distance you can reach him with a single pounce.

Before you can do so, a hand pulls at your sleeve. “No, Master Xu! Don’t do it! You must not kill and add to your bad karma!” You shake your arm free and turn around to frown at the nun.

“Well, I did not kill them. See, they’re still alive,” you say.

You go over to inspect the men that you had beaten. The first one has his nose entirely squashed, and from the way the entire front of his face is slightly caved in, even if he is not dead now he will not be waking in the next few days. The other man is not moving at all, blood trickling from his eyes, ears, nose and mouth. His eyes are blank and staring, and he doesn’t seem to be breathing.

“Well… it was an accident,” you say. You had spent a lot of time attacking the Southern Maniac with all of your strength, only for him to laugh it off. Evidently the bandits are not in the same league of durability as your master.

The nun begins praying fervently over the bodies, chanting a sutra over and over again. You scratch your head as you look around you awkwardly. She can probably find her own way from here. Turning around, you walk off. “Wait, Master Xu!” The nun shouts at you breathlessly as she catches up, having finished her prayers. “What is it now, sister?” You look around you, searching for paths through the woods which you can take to lose her.

She looks up at you with her clear dark eyes and frowns. “Master Xu, I was praying for your sin of murder to be cleansed and forgiven. It is not polite to walk off just like that.”

You laugh. “Thank you, sister. I will find an opportunity to repay you for your service.” As you turn away, she calls for you to stop again. With a sigh, you whirl back to face the nun. “What is it now?”

The nun begins to fidget. “Ah, it seems… you see… I’m not too familiar with forests.” So, she’s lost. You give her a pitying look. Leaving her stranded here would be cruel. She may be a Castration Nun out for the sword and your testicles, but you don’t really regard them as your mortal enemy. They are just doing their job after all. With a nod, you beckon at the nun to follow. Her face breaks out into a dazzling, grateful smile.

Three days after you saved the nun, you still have not managed to get rid of her. For three days and three nights she followed you, preaching Buddhist sutras in an effort to get you to abandon your evil ways. You feel like Monkey being pestered by the Xuanzang Monk. It has gotten to a point where you are half-tempted to send her off with the Yuchang Sword and face Zhang’s punishment instead.

“Why are you separated from Sister Miaozhu and the rest?” you ask. The question has been bothering you for a while – you see no sign of the other nuns, and you doubt they could catch you in an ambush nowadays.

“We were summoned back urgently by the Abbess. I am not privy to the knowledge; only Sister Miaozhu knows, but apparently it has something to do with Qingcheng. We got separated somewhere back when the bandits attacked. I don’t think they would look for me because we were needed to hurry back to Emei. In such a situation, they would have had to obey the orders and move on without me.”

“Such irresponsible nuns,” you grumble.

“I believe you are kind at heart, Master Xu. You would never have saved me if you weren’t. If you repent and turn over a new leaf, I am sure you will do much good in the world,” says Yifang very earnestly. You sigh and ask her a question before she can begin trying to convince you of the error of your ways again.

“I am curious, sister. How old were you when you were sent to Emei?”

“I am an orphan. I grew up in the care of the nuns,” she replies with a smile. “I owe all I have in my life to them and the Buddha’s teachings.”

Well, that explains part of her behaviour. Suddenly, you are reminded of one of the teachings you received back in the palace, from an old Buddhist monk. Perhaps this will work. “Sister,” you say sweetly and slyly, though she does not show any signs of suspecting the sudden change in your tone, “To save a person, you must know that person. You cannot save that which you do not know, for not even the Buddha will claim to know the hearts of all men. There is sin within, but to cleanse that sin on my behalf, you have to understand that sin. This is what I have heard from a master monk, many tens of years older than us. He said, before you wish for the salvation of a person, first ask yourself this question: who is this person?”

“Who… is this person?” she repeats.

“That is right,” you smile. “Who is this person that stands before you? Ponder upon that, learned sister.” With that, you stop the conversation, leaving her to puzzle over the question. That should shut her up for a while. If she is going to Emei, that is on your way – Emei is very close to Chengdu. You suppose you could let her tag along, loathe as you are to do so. The naïve girl wouldn’t survive a day on her own, you’re sure.

You manage to reach Chengdu in relative peace and quiet, as Yifang is preoccupied with your question. Wasting no time, you begin getting to work searching for rumours of Master Yao. Unfortunately, what you hear makes your heart sink.

According to word on the street, Master Yao has been captured just a week ago after fleeing from his assassination of the head of the Qingcheng Sect, Song Jiangke. The story goes that Yao was called to heal Song of an ailment, but the mad physician decided to kill his patient instead. As far as you can tell, Cao’er has been captured and imprisoned along with him. The new head of the sect, the previous leader’s daughter, Song Lingshu, plans to execute Master Yao in a few days for his murder of her father.

“That is horrible,” says Yifang, her hands put to her mouth. “I know of the Killer Physician, he used to pay frequent visits to the Abbess. I didn’t think he was the sort to do such a thing.”

“I don’t think he’s the sort to do such a thing,” you say quietly.

“I-I can help you, Master Xu,” says the nun nervously. “Emei and Qingcheng have been long-time allies because of their proximity. I might be able to get the Abbess to do something about this.”

“I don’t think I want to be in the favour of Emei when I still hold your precious sword,” you laugh. “It’s okay, I will figure out something on my own.”

“Stubbornness is one of your bad traits, Master Xu,” she says. “Help will be given to those who ask for it. That is one of the principles of Emei. If… if you’re unwilling to seek the sect’s aid, I could perhaps help talk to Qingcheng for you. I know Miss Song. We were childhood friends, so I could talk to her.”

“Why are you so keen to help me out?” you ask suspiciously.

“I’m not sure,” she bites her lip. “Is helping people a bad thing? I can’t stand by and do nothing when someone is in trouble.”

Truly, she is an earnest child that should have stayed cloistered on Mount Emei.

A. You do not need her help. Tonight you will head towards Mount Qingcheng, sneak into the compound by yourself and locate Master Yao and Cao’er. You are confident enough in your abilities to do so.

B. You will ask for her help in talking to Song Lingshu, daughter of the recently deceased. Of course, you will keep your identity a secret. You will then use that opportunity to scout the surrounding area, should negotiations fall apart and Yifang fail to convince the new head of Qingcheng.

C. You will request Emei’s help in saving Master Yao. It is not too far away; if it is true that the Abbess knows the Killer Physician, perhaps she will be willing to help out. They might demand for the sword in compensation, but you will cross that bridge when you get to it.

D. Since you are at Qingcheng, you might as well get started on Zhang’s challenge to save time. You will set Master Yao and Cao’er’s freedom as your price should you win; if you lose, they get to name whatever price they wish. You will have to think of a way to force them to accept the challenge, but you are sure you can come up with something.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Dafuq? Why is anyone even considering C? Kashmir Slippers, you must realize that there's a price in seeking Emei's help, they aren't offering this shit for free. Zhang would skin us alive.

I am contemplating going with D, but I think it might be a bad idea in the long run. Since we decided to compete in the contest, there is no doubt that one of the Qingcheng representatives will know who we are based on our style once we enter the ring, regardless of whether we wear a mask or not. But that's a moot point; I don't even know how we'd get them to accept a challenge in the first place, considering the extreme circumstances.

So for me, the most reasonable choices are A or B. treave, would A involve the sneaking without the benefit of scouting the surrounding area that B would provide? Of course, I guess B would pose other problems, like talking to Song Lianshu in person, so she could be able to recognize us later.

B > C.

Even if Yifang can't outright convince them to release Yao it is crucial to case the place anyway before we try to sneak in (and maybe get to talk to Yao and Cao'er as well). C could also be acceptable if we can work out a deal that doesn't involve giving our sword right now. Maybe we could convince them that we will return the sword when we don't have the Maniac on our back - the damn thing was missing for a century, surely it can wait for a few more years? A and D seem like overconfident options.

edit: Actually, forget about C. It occurs to me that it is a mighty coincidence that we just happened to run into this nun on our way. Sure, it could be just a coincidence (our luck is bad enough that annoying coincidences happen all the damn time, and well, this is a game, right?), but it just might also be possible we are misjudging the situation and are being played into a trap. Call me paranoid (and I probably am), but I don't trust coincidences.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yes, A has you sneaking directly, though it doesn't mean you will approach carelessly either. With B, though Yifang says she will negotiate, that girl cannot tell a lie or bluff convincingly, and is also rather gullible. You'll be the one actually attempting to negotiate his release while Yifang's main role is to get you through the door.

In D, you'll resort to your Master's fantastic reputation to intimidate the still young and inexperienced head into accepting because outright demanding they let him go would be a loss of face for them and unacceptable terms. Carrot and stick, we can do this with a duel, or my master will be displeased.

Last edited:

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
I consider C because I fucking want to, that is why.

Maybe I don't want to keep the sword. Maybe I want to see what Zhang will try to do to us. Maybe I want to actually have some major group f people like us for once. It is my choice. Chill out.

Jester

Arbiter
A into D if Yao will tell us he was framed by Lingshu otherwise strait A
Yao always kill and heal person so who was saved?

Would be interesting if there were 2 people infected and one of them would be killed to compensate for other.
Could old man had some kind of plague or something like that so Yao decided that killing him is better?
The person who would benefit from death most is heir in this situation so B is bit dangerous, especially if they would use Cao to blackmail Yao to take blame i think he would fall for that.
I think asking Yao secretly and directly is the best course of action and act based on that information.

Esquilax

Arcane
I'm only asking, didn't intend to come off as hostile.

Qingcheng Sect
A major sect that once focused on Taoism, it has relaxed its rules recently and encouraged membership from all walks of life. Qingcheng Sect focuses on the sword, staff and unarmed techniques.

For reference. treave, what else can Yifeng tell us about the Qingcheng sect? She might be naive and gullible, but she must have a better idea of who they are than we are. How did their rules relax? What were the rules before?

We ought to reconsider D and think about what it entails for the Martial Arts Competition. Even if we manage to somehow get them to agree to a challenge, we have to keep in mind that they'll still have representatives in the competition. Even if we disguise ourselves there and fight under an alias, our style will give us away quickly. And I don't know how we're going to get them to agree to a challenge to begin with - the sect head is dead and Yao is the killer, I can't see under what circumstances they would free them.

I suppose they might be willing to accept a challenge provided we accept some terms that are unfavourable to us (i.e. only staffs allowed, despite the fact we don't know how to use one). I'm just using that as an example, I don't know what the terms of a challenge (should they accept one) will be, my point is that in this situation, they have all the leverage, so they can impose whatever terms are favourable to them.

A into D if Yao will tell us he was framed by Lingshu otherwise strait A
Yao always kill and heal person so who was saved?

Would be interesting if there were 2 people infected and one of them would be killed to compensate for other.
Could old man had some kind of plague or something like that so Yao decided that killing him is better?
The person who would benefit from death most is heir in this situation so B is bit dangerous, especially if they would use Cao to blackmail Yao to take blame i think he would fall for that.
I think asking Yao secretly and directly is the best course of action and act based on that information.

How would Yao be in the position to tell us that he was framed? I suspect, like you, that Yao had good reason to kill this man, but we should be careful and not figure that the heir was planning this all along. Oh, and he wasn't framed: there is no doubt that Yao killed this man. Yeah, you could be right that the heir here is just like Master Rong's son, but that might not be the case. It just might be someone angry and grief-stricken at the person that killed their father.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
I consider C because I fucking want to, that is why.

Maybe I don't want to keep the sword. Maybe I want to see what Zhang will try to do to us. Maybe I want to actually have some major group f people like us for once. It is my choice. Chill out.
ehem ehem
Ashina Tribe: +100 (Idolized)
Course you can argue on that.

We can ask to see and talk to the prisoners even if they don't want to release them in B, can't we? That request seems reasonable enough and may be the least risky way to get to the bottom of this before we decide to take any further actions. We can try diplomacy, but also get info and prepare to either sneak in or bust heads. After all, there is nothing that stops us from trying A or D if diplomatic solution is not possible. Or is there?

edit: Also, I'm getting a feeling that Cao'er is actually responsible for the death, and that Yao is covering for her. We definitely could use more information about what happened and I feel that B might be the best way to get them even if it fails to get Yao and Cao'er released. And who knows - maybe we can get them released - we have good speech and charisma.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
For reference. treave, what else can Yifeng tell us about the Qingcheng sect? She might be naive and gullible, but she must have a better idea of who they are than we are. How did their rules relax? What were the rules before?

They were strict Taoists before this, even stricter than Wudang. All of the members were once mandated to be Taoist priests, but no longer. Basically, by relaxing the rules it means they reduce the number of regulations that the disciples must observe. Life is less strenuous in Qingcheng compared to most of the Eight Sects. Their rules were relaxed by the recently deceased Song Jiangke, and has resulted in a quick growth in number of students in recent years. In terms of numbers, their disciples are now second only to the Beggars, around a thousand of them. The rest usually don't have more than a few hundred at any given time. This has also made them rather rich.

According to Yifang, Song Lingshu is a very nice girl and always treated her well. But you suspect she says that of most people.

To clarify on the story you've heard of Song Jiangke's assassination:

Master Yao was called to heal Song of an ailment. It's apparently a fatal wasting disease that has been afflicting him for many months, but word on the street is unsure as to its true nature - it is not unknown for people of his age to suffer from this type of disease anyway.

edit: by 'true nature', in the context of that sentence, I mean that the disease is known, but is a mystery to most physicians, let alone people on the street. Just like how many illnesses were a mystery for a great part of human history.

He kills Song Jiangke during the treatment and flees. He is then caught together with his apprentice.

We can ask to see and talk to the prisoners even if they don't want to release them in B, can't we? That request seems reasonable enough and may be the least risky way to get to the bottom of this before we decide to take any further actions. We can try diplomacy, but also get info and prepare to either sneak in or bust heads. After all, there is nothing that stops us from trying A or D if diplomatic solution is not possible. Or is there?

I'm afraid I can't confirm this, but note that it is also theoretically possible to do A successfully and then not break Yao out (escape would be riskier having him and Cao'er along), instead leaving with possibly valuable information either from him or elsewhere in the compound you can use to negotiate more easily - it's not something limited to B alone. Or the situation might change during negotiation/sneaking/challenge/call for Emei's help and lock out the other choices.

Having a chance to do other choices should the current one fail is something you can't safely assume right now, so I think it'd be better not to.

But I won't restrict speculation either. :lol:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom