Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Yeah I know, and I wasn't seriously suggesting we start over. I didn't like when the melee fighter was chosen over analytical mind and intelligence in the last LP but I did grow fond of him. It would have been fun to play backstabbing rogue for once. And I'm going to vote we ignore the sword skill altogether since this is chinese martial arts LP. That means thrown weapons and unarmed combat with pressure points for me.

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh Emperor, I can already see the dumb shit the prince and his playmate will get into. Like drunk fratboys on crack. BROTEAM!
:avatard:
Don't forget the guan-daos.

Jester

Arbiter
On hindsight I'm really glad I didn't use seven backgrounds and add the five elements as a choice for character creation.
Neh that would be ok if there would be little time to choose. I blame huge amount of it for this mess.
Reckless guy yolo won again.

Absinthe

Arcane
Now, as in before this pissing contest can continue.
"Nyah, the Dragon is icky!"
"But the Rabbit has cooties!"
"You took away my rogue, screw you, TIGER!"
"Bow before the might of the Tsun-Drabbit!"
"Fuck it, I'll throw in the Goat-Tiger for the lulz. Put the suggestion here and observe from over there."

This is going down to retardo before the first chapter. Shoulda went with the Cthulhu LP, at least we can't make that setting any more insane.
I'd've gone Dog Adjutant to make the setting insane. When your luck is that bad (Dat zero.) you kind of expect everything to fuck with you in insane ways.

On hindsight I'm really glad I didn't use seven backgrounds and add the five elements as a choice for character creation.

Tiger wins.

Tiger Adjutant
(STR – 8, PER – 5, END – 5, CHA – 6, INT – 6, AGI – 7, LUC – 1)
Powerful, quick, smart and sociable, the Tiger Adjutant is a naturally impulsive character whose hot-headedness has been somewhat tempered by his upbringing so that he won’t mistake his own boundless courage for actual invincibility. He will at least look before he leaps. His strong, confident outlook on life has allowed him to forge ahead despite his horrible luck.
The Tiger is the best fighter, considering the variety of sword and unarmed techniques available in comparison to other weapons.

Honestly, all of you should just flop to Tiger and be done with it. He's calamitously awesome.
Rip limbs off enemies awesome. Then perhaps calamitously slip on the bloody floor and knock himself out. The Dragon's agility is really too low to be a superb warrior on physical stats alone, though I think all of you continue to forget that I emphasized that techniques were important.
Fucking hell. Do we really need another Ean? I thought we were done with that shit. Abort. Abort. Abort now. Don't do Ean II.

Also, I would've counted Storyfag and Azira's enthusiastic approval as Dragon-rabbit votes, putting it at 7:
  • Baltika9
  • Smashing Axe
  • Nevill
  • Azira
  • Absinthe
  • Nim
  • Bloodshifter

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A Meeting with the Ashina

The dry grass crunches under your feet as you pull the woolen cloak tighter around your body. Out here on the steppes, the winds are merciless. A group of five soldiers ride past you, jeering at each other as they race onwards, towards your common destination. Your legs are aching from the long walk, but the journey is almost over.

“I did offer to let you ride in the carriage, Jing,” says the young Crown Prince lazily as he brings his steed to a slow trot besides you. You stare at him, and then glance over at said carriage, a rather ornate affair that bears both the flags of the great Tang dynasty and that of the Duke of Xiliang. The duke himself is ensconced comfortably inside the carriage; you can see his bearded, imperious profile. He notices you and gives you a foul glare in return. “He’d as soon kill me then let me anywhere near his carriage, after what I did to his horses,” you laugh. The prince chuckles. Over the period of two weeks, one horse had fallen awkwardly over a well-hidden stone, another had been spooked by a rat and fled into the wilderness, and the last had simply laid down and died. After that, the Duke insisted that he had no more spare horses for you to use. “Perhaps you should be steering your horse away from me, Shun.”

Crown Prince Li Shun, future Emperor of the Tang, gives you a rude, juvenile gesture, smiling elegantly as he does so. “You’re just bad with horses, nothing more. Cats like you well enough. Besides, you spent all summer riding with me without even hurting a single horse.”

“It was the other way around back then,” you mutter. You had been thrown from the saddle so many times that sometimes you are still surprised that you survived. “Anyway, are you ready for the meeting?”

Shun sighs as he shifts uncomfortably in his seat. “It’s a pain in my arse, that’s what it is. Still, we have no choice. Do you know of the Ashina?” You nod – they are one of the most influential nomadic tribes in the northwest. “The Ashina tribe have a strong voice amongst the Tujue people,” you say, “so if we manage to nurture a proper alliance, we can secure the border more easily in the years to come.”

“That’s right. The Ashina are regarded as a sacred tribe. The Great Khagan of the Tujue has been stockpiling resources in the past few months – we were sent out here because the Emperor hopes that my presence will be enough to flatter them. The Duke of Xiliang will be in charge of the negotiations, so we are just along for display.” He peers closely at you, leaning down from his horse.

“Speaking of that, my friend, you will need to clean up before we can display you anywhere.”

You snort. “Don’t bother. I don’t want to steal the eyes of all the girls away from your royal face.”

You find yourself nursing your aching legs in the main yurt later that night, having cleaned up and changed into a fresh set of robes. The yurt can be described in one word: grandiose. The ground was covered with a lush carpet and strips of silken cloth were draped over the poles. Beautiful tapestries lined the walls of the yurt. The leader of the Ashina, Bulun Khan, sat cross-legged at a table painted in gold, presiding over the festivities – he is a well-built, powerful man who has found that middle age is treating him well. A beautiful young girl who looks to be about the same age with the prince and you – she can’t be more than thirteen or fourteen years old – knelt demurely by his side. Judging from her elaborately embroidered dress and the decorative beads, she is probably the khan’s daughter. A pretty servant girl stands by her side, a wide yawn showing that she's not pretending to hide her boredom.

“Have you tried the fermented mare’s milk? It’s rather wonderful,” says Shun as he holds up a dirty-looking gourd. You obligingly hold out your dish as he fills it up, the both of you looking at the duke and the Ashina khan conversing raucously.

“It seems like it is going well, isn’t it?” you say quietly.

“No, not at all. Observe the khan closely,” whispers Shun. You do so, and after a while, understand what he means. Although the khan seemed friendly enough, from his body language and the tone of his accented Han, you know that this is the type of friendliness you offer a guest you dislike, but are too polite to turn down.

“I doubt he is truly listening to Xiliang,” you mutter. “It looks like the Ashina don’t care about you at all, Your Highness. Do you feel hurt?” Shun nods in agreement at first, and then punches your shoulder for the latter remark.

“-so, perhaps we could even take your esteemed daughter in as an honoured concubine,” states Xiliang casually. Bulun leans back, his features carefully impassive. “A concubine to who?”

The duke laughs. “Not His Majesty, of course, but his son. The Crown Prince is young but mature,” – you hold back a laugh at that, with tremendous effort – “and is a remarkable, good-looking boy who will lead the Tang to greater glory. In the future, even his concubines will enjoy power and status beyond that of the empresses of old.”

Before Bulun can respond, a dagger sprouts on the khan’s golden table with a loud thud. “I will not sit here and listen to talk about trading me away like a common goat,” the Ashina princess says calmly as she rises to her feet. “Yunzi, sit down,” warns the khan half-heartedly, but the girl continues. “Dear father, these Han talk too easily of marriage. I would like to show them what a woman of the Ashina is capable of. A worthy man should be able to best me in combat.” The Duke of Xiliang looks at the Crown Prince – Xiliang doesn’t seem too worried, though his brow is slightly furrowed in concern, feigned or otherwise.

“Oh boy, are you in for it, brother,” you whisper mockingly to Shun. The Crown Prince is rather good at the rudimentary martial arts that the both of you have been taught for self defense, though not as good as you are. You don’t doubt that he can beat the slender waif in a fight.

“If I were to pick,” proclaims Yunzi, “I wouldn’t even challenge the prince. He would not be a match for me. You there. The arrogant servant whispering in his master’s ear.” Her angry gaze falls upon you – her eyes are as blue as the clear steppe sky. “I challenge you to show what you are capable of.”

“Oh?” The corners of your lips twitch upwards. “You want to fight me?”

“Xu Jing!” Xiliang shouts at you. “Do not act rashly!”

He knows, however, that he does not have the authority to order you around. The Duke of Xiliang may be the cousin of the Chancellor, and command a hundred thousand men, and you might just be a fourteen year old cocky kid who happens to be the Crown Prince’s confidante, but you are not his servant. You glance sideways at Shun’s hand. Two fingers are extended, circling twice in a clockwise manner. That’s the gesture for ‘Do as you please’, which also means, in your experience gained from the decade you have spent as his companion, ‘I’m going to sit back and enjoy the show’.

Your leash is off.

A. You accept the challenge. Both Shun and you suspect that negotiations are not going to go well – Bulun Khan will just send the Duke off without committing to anything. When the situation is stagnant, act to change the flow in your favour. You aren’t standing up just because you can’t back down from a challenge. Obviously.

B. You keep quiet, back down, and yield the floor to Xiliang and Bulun so that they can continue their negotiations. You don’t want to cross the Duke of Xiliang if you can help it; he already disilkes you enough, and even if he cannot order you around, he can certainly pull some strings to make your life harder.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A bit of advice for the future: don't plan for bad luck when making the choices. Luck is capricious and unpredictable, even the bad sort. You're not at the level of terrible luck that you know will happen consistently, all day, every day, so heading into every choice thinking that you should try to predict any misfortune about to happen is only going to be a tiring waste of time.

Also, I would've counted Storyfag and Azira's enthusiastic approval as Dragon-rabbit votes, putting it at 7 (New bloodshifter vote) at least.

That still wouldn't have stopped a Tiger victory, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Over the period of two weeks, one horse had fallen awkwardly over a well-hidden stone, another had been spooked by a rat and fled into the wilderness, and the last had simply laid down and died.
:lol: This will be fucking awesome. What did we do to that last horse?

Time to get our bro lAid (with our luck, though, she'll turnout to be a transformer :lol: ).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
This will be fucking awesome. What did we do to that last horse?

Nothing, as far as you know. Perhaps it was just sick.

At any rate, after the prologue there will be a couple of time skips, so don't get panicked over playing a brat.

Baltika9

Arcane
:lol: Poor creatures.
Serious question: as far as our bro knows, if he were to best the girl and marry her, can he come to his in-laws for help at any time? These guys seem like they place a very high value on marriage, so they may make for a decent back up plan, or just a place to lay low, in the future.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, it would constitute an alliance of the Ashina with the Tang, if they agree to marry their tribal princess to the Crown Prince. This would take a lot of steam away from the Khagan's desire to invade China, and could stop a war before it starts. Of course, the Ashina will also be willing to help their friends, but I'm afraid just beating a girl in a fight won't instantly make you a friend. There'll be a bit more stuff happening here before we end the prologue and return to the Central Plains proper.

Absinthe

Arcane
If we count it as the original Rabbit/Dragon compromise option, I think it would've won. Also, first you said you were closing votes at the Dragon-Rabbit compromise, then instead you hold it open for new votes with Dragon-Rabbit as a new option needing to compete for votes, and you flat-out tell folks they should vote Tiger. Then as Tiger picks up a bit you close the votes and call it the winner. Now Ean II wins. Not sure what I was expecting (other than "Not Ean"), but that is one janky way to run it. Eh, fuck it. This conversation's going stupid places.

Anyhow, have fun guys.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, it would constitute an alliance of the Ashina with the Tang, if they agree to marry their tribal princess to the Crown Prince. This would take a lot of steam away from the Khagan's desire to invade China, and could stop a war before it starts. Of course, the Ashina will also be willing to help their friends, but I'm afraid just beating a girl in a fight won't instantly make you a friend. There'll be a bit more stuff happening here before we end the prologue and return to the Central Plains proper.
Actually, I meant that if our dude or the prince fall on hard times, like being chased out of court by pissed-off dukes (not that I'm accusing the good Duke of any such thing :lol: Seriously, though, I don't like him already.), will we be able to kip with these guys, if we win their respect?
Granted, beating up the crown princess doesn't guarantee brohood forever, but it's a step in the right direction. I think.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If we count it as the original Rabbit/Dragon compromise option, I think it would've won. Also, first you said you were closing votes at the Dragon-Rabbit compromise, then instead you hold it open for new votes with Dragon-Rabbit as a new option needing to compete for votes, and you flat-out tell folks why they should vote Tiger. Then as Tiger picks up a bit you close the votes and call it the winner. Now Ean II wins. Not sure what I was expecting (other than "Not Ean"), but that is one janky way to run it.

Anyhow, have fun you guys.

It wouldn't have. Assuming all the Rabbit voters went to Dragon-Rabbit (and I was prepared to assume that), it would still only have 9 votes. The only Dragon voter you could possibly pick up would be Storyfag. root does not want Dragon-Rabbit. Not sure about The Brazilian Slaughter. That is 10, perhaps 11. With Kashmir's flop, Tiger ended with 13 votes. Even if oscar returned to vote Drabbit, it would only bring that to 12. I think the results are rather conclusive.

As for telling folks they should vote Tiger, you can interpret it however you wish. Because the setting is unfamiliar this early on, I don't find it wrong if I give suggestions to create the types of character builds that the voters want. If people were stridently calling for a smart intellectual, yet mistakenly picking a sign that isn't too good at it, I would raise the issue too. If I actually wanted to influence the votes that way, I would have done so from the start and not bothered suggesting the Dragon-Rabbit, instead leaving things open until I got the vote I wanted. Closing votes with a compromise that I imposed without consultation is a rather rare thing to do, so I try not to end it with one if I can.

Besides, I'd rather favour writing the Goat Adjutant. Much more interesting as a fighter.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Actually, I meant that if our dude or the prince fall on hard times, like being chased out of court by pissed-off dukes (not that I'm accusing the good Duke of any such thing :lol: Seriously, though, I don't like him already.), will we be able to kip with these guys, if we win their respect?
Granted, beating up the crown princess doesn't guarantee brohood forever, but it's a step in the right direction. I think.

Of course.

Absinthe

Arcane
Treave, there are some legitimate arguments I could make, but in the scheme of things I'm not going to insist how to run your CYOA. That'd be stupid. The important thing is to just have fun with it, so you do that. Since this ain't my cup of tea, it looks like I'll pass for now.

EDIT: Aight, Baltika9, no, "voter drama" bullshit is precisely why I'm putting an end to this. Seriously, you guys just have fun. And I don't mean that in a passive-aggressive way. If you want extended rationale on why I'm not participating: CYOAs (especially closed choice CYOAs) don't appeal to me that much in the first place. An interesting character concept was the only reason I got curious about this one to begin with.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane

Its what he's doing when he gets bored of the cards and killing monsters. And perving Adrahasis's sister, I think. Dimensional barriers are no barriers to Shulgi's immense ego!
Oh god, the images.
So we will have to beat the Duke and the Khan in a fight too?
COME ON COME ALL WE'RE A TIGER!
3difm.jpg

What's with the voter drama, anyway? We got our character, and he's a pretty cool dude. Much better than Senya was in the beginning. Better than endless voting debates pissing contests.
We'll have to "gently encourage" the prince to get better at kicking ass, though.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

My preference was the doctor background with a high agility trait for pressure point awesomeness, but it had no votes and I was tired of playing a weak charater with Senya so tiger it was.

Voting A for this choice.

Also, horse killing power ftw. :deadhorse:

edit: holy crap! i just noticed this is page 13! 12 pages of arguing over character creation? only on the codex. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Absinthe: Different strokes for different folks, and that is fine by me, though I think it is rather unfair that you imply that I've manipulated Tiger into the winning spot, when in previous posts I have also elaborated on how interesting the Rabbit could be and defended it when people were mistaken about how that sign would work. What you say does bear thinking about, however, and I'll consider how my conduct appears in the future.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All we need to do to beat other armies is test ride their horses.
Maybe we should do it right now and remove any chance of war, while driving an entire strain of horses to extinction, single-handedly.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, with our luck, the horses will notice the thinning of their herds and procreate twice as fast. Sonn, the mongloids hordes will be using horse suicide bombers.
It will be glorious! I mean, terrifying!

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The Brazilian Slaughter,

I'm thinking she's a pretty capable fighter or she wouldn't have made the challenge. If we turn her down it'd be to her as if we were not giving her her say in the matter and would probably piss her off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom