Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate 2 on Insane (feat. The Codex)

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just dropping in to say, awesome LP, and I hope you persist with it in spite of the tedium of replaying.

Also, it seems this thread is pretty popular and so a few of the updates are over the bandwidth limit already. :mad: Silly photobucket.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, I was hoping the bandwidth limits would have enough time to reset when I was on vacation, but apparently 10GB/month is not enough for this thread, even with updates rotating between six accounts.

Anyone has any suggestions on some more lenient image hosting provider?

BTW, Update #23 is planned for tomorrow.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
I hear that picsaweb (google's photo hosting service) has a hard upload limit (1gb) rather than a monthly bandwidth limit, but I've never used it so I'm not 100% sure.

Also, WOO UPDATE.
:bro:

grosstraktor

Novice
i guess imgur.com doesn't have bandwidth limits, just 225 under 1mb images per free account. even after 225 pics are not deleted, oldest ones just become uncontrollable.

also, WOO UPDATE.
:greatjob:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I have several thousand images in my free imgur account, none of them have been removed, but I cannot edit the oldest ones.

For LP purposes though, I upload the images, copy the link and post it, then I can forget about said image from then on, so it's not a problem for me. The only issue is that if an image hasn't been viewed at least once in a six month period, it gets removed. So I browse through my old LPs every couple of months, to keep the images "live".

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe Dropbox? 2gb without bandwidth limit IIRC with confusing share link option.
I have a fuckload of bonus dropbox GBs to use, so it could work, but is there a way to generate multiple links easily?

imgur also seems like a good option. As for picasaweb, I will need to check it first.

Thanks for the tips, bros.

The update will be posted either today in around 4-5 hours, or tomorrow.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Normally I would suggest to watch when the thread's name changes into Update #23, but as Xenforo upgrade fucked us all over and I won't be able to adjust it, just check in ~10 hours.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Last time on Let's Insane Solo Baldur's Gate 2:

bg2_up22_151.jpg

codex_10.jpg
To be honest, this is actually kind of boring.

------

And believe me, it did not go even half as smoothly when I had to replay killing Kangaxx after losing my save files.

codex_10.jpg
The important thing is I have done it. Which means I can finally get some rest!

On the contrary. We're on a good roll here. Why waste time when we can jump straight into another mind-bogglingly difficult encounter!?

codex_10.jpg
You're not serious...

But I am!

Update #23: Technically Not Cheating

bg2_up23_000.jpg

But first, let's look how our hero gained in power since the last time we've checked.

bg2_up23_001.jpg

This is probably the last update in a while when we can enjoy having THAC0 of -1.

bg2_up23_002.jpg

Just look at these sweet saving throws.

bg2_up23_003.jpg

25% Magic Resistance is nothing we can rely on, but it should make some encounters randomly easier.

bg2_up23_004.jpg

Kangaxx the Demi-Lich has assumed the Big Fat Kill throne, and I am guessing he will reign from there for quite some time.

bg2_up23_005.jpg

codex_10.jpg
We've been here just a while ago. This is the 'wrong door'.

Yes, except no. It is the 'right door' now. For certain definition of 'right'.

bg2_up23_006.jpg

codex_10.jpg
What the fuck...?

bg2_up23_007.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I having no fucking clue where I am, but at least it does not look like I will be fighting liches here.

bg2_up23_008.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Never mind.

bg2_up23_009.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I will just assume that I am here to kill you, because that is what I usually end up doing anyway...

bg2_up23_010.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I hate it when they teleport!

Quick, follow him!

codex_10.jpg
Why?

Horrible death otherwise.

codex_10.jpg
I will allow myself to be convinced this time.

bg2_up23_011.jpg

codex_10.jpg
There's more of them.

Yes. Thankfully, and completely coincidentally, You still have the magic immunity status from fighting Kangaxx. It should come quite handy here, I believe. :smug:

bg2_up23_012.jpg

Although it seems that magic immunity does not make You immune to all spells, with Time Stop being one of the exceptions.

bg2_up23_013.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Since magic is not a threat for the moment, I will deal with the melee enemy first.

bg2_up23_014.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Done. And that lich just made the top of my black list for his kill-stealing attempt.

bg2_up23_015.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I can still cast spells from scrolls. Neat.

bg2_up23_016.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Not this time. In this fight you are just a zombie with more hit points.

bg2_up23_017.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I hate it when they cast Mislead.

Yes, True Sight is pretty much a must at this level.

bg2_up23_018.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Since I'm out of oracles, I might as well kill the illusion to, well, kill time.

Shangalar is out of ideas and has started attacking You with his claws.

codex_10.jpg
That's so cute...

bg2_up23_019.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Damn it! How many contingencies do you have!?

bg2_up23_020.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Die already!

And that's it for our magic immunity. Still, it was a well invested 3200 gold pieces.

bg2_up23_021.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Critical hit just as his immunity expired. Great timing, Lilarcor!

lilarcor1.jpg
No probs, always willing to chop up someone, even if they taste foul.

bg2_up23_022.jpg

codex_10.jpg
And I really hope this is the last lich I had to kill, at least for a while.

bg2_up23_023.jpg

codex_10.jpg
And I will take your lunch money too.

bg2_up23_024.jpg

You have a feeling You should save Your game before proceeding.

bg2_up23_025.jpg

codex_10.jpg
A beholder, a mage and a vampire walk into a bar...

bg2_up23_026.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Since there does not seem to be much camaraderie between these guys, I will kill them one at a time. Starting with the eyeball.

bg2_up23_027.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Not that I want to complain, but this hurts a lot.

bg2_up23_028.jpg

Now I wish we had bought two scrolls of magic immunity.

Death Count: 134

codex_10.jpg
Seriously, why is there no saving throw against cause serious wounds?

bg2_up23_029.jpg

Luckily, we have that Wand of Fire we looted from Rayic Gethras' house.

bg2_up23_030.jpg

codex_10.jpg
No, I am not here. Honest.

bg2_up23_031.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I don't seem to be able to backstab your kind, so I will settle for surprise buttsecks sword-strike.

bg2_up23_032.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Once again I am proven to be superior!

bg2_up23_033.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Damn, I tripped...

bg2_up23_034.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Hands off, lady!

bg2_up23_035.jpg

There is only one suitable commentary for this:

bg2_up23_036.jpg

I wish I knew what exactly killed our hero here.

Death Count: 135

Load game.

codex_10.jpg
I blame that failed skill check on being exhausted. So it is your fault I died, not mine, if you had any doubts.

bg2_up23_037.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Steady...

bg2_up23_038.jpg

Assaulting an unsuspecting woman from behind? What a true gentleman You are.

codex_10.jpg
Trust me, she is one of the kind, who treat twelve inches of cold steel thrusted through their back merel as an invitation to dance.

bg2_up23_039.jpg

codex_10.jpg
This is becoming a bit too much for a first date...

bg2_up23_040.jpg

You know what, there is a reason why modern games only give time-slowing and time-stopping powers to the player character.

codex_10.jpg
Fascinating.

bg2_up23_041.jpg

32 is actually our lowest possible backstab damage at the moment, with 57 being the highest. The formula is (1d6+4)x5+7.

bg2_up23_042.jpg

The Codex continues to have no luck when it comes to dealing with women.

Death Count: 136

Reload.

codex_10.jpg
I feel like we've wasted an opportunity.

bg2_up23_043.jpg

It certainly seems so, because now Shyressa is too close to Layenne. We both know You have basically no chance to succeed in handling two women at once.

codex_10.jpg
If that was supposed to be a stealth insult, your hide in shadows roll has failed.

bg2_up23_044.jpg

We manage to combat Shyressa alone, and somehow, this time we win. Probably RNG took pity on us.

bg2_up23_045.jpg

codex_10.jpg
This does not seem to be going anywhere.

bg2_up23_046.jpg

We decide to provoke Layenne by casting a Fire Ball near her. It kind of works.

bg2_up23_047.jpg

And after her protection spells expire, we provoke her again (no Fire Balls this time). For some reason she refuses to budge from her spot, making leaving her sight range trivially easy.

bg2_up23_048.jpg

Oh, joy.

bg2_up23_049.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Oh, yeah, I wonder where she might be...

bg2_up23_050.jpg

Finally, she decides to show herself.

bg2_up23_051.jpg

And we decide to end this bullshit once and for all. The newly-acquired Ring of Gaxx allows us to cast Improved Haste, bringing The Codex' number of attacks to 9 per round (with the bow).

bg2_up23_052.jpg

Needless to say, she does not stand a chance, even though the haste effect does not last long.

codex_10.jpg
It's not about how long you last, but how well you perform!

bg2_up23_053.jpg

codex_10.jpg
And what do we have here?

bg2_up23_054.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Oh, baby...

bg2_up23_055.jpg

codex_21.jpg
Come to daddy!

bg2_up23_056.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I think I missed some loot... What is this?

bg2_up23_057.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Oh, great. I always wanted one of these. Except, no.

bg2_up23_058.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Ah, a puzzle.

bg2_up23_059.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I am so smart!

bg2_up23_060.jpg

codex_10.jpg
An exit. Neat. Although this does beg the question: did the beholder know that making a soup out of him is the only way to leave this place?

bg2_up24_000.jpg

Of course, we're not done yet. Since we are already in the Bridge District, we might as well attend to some unfinished business.

bg2_up24_001.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Oh, yeah, I remember these guys. Didn't I kill them already?

bg2_up24_002.jpg

They killed you, actually. More than once too.

bg2_up24_003.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Time to fix this.

bg2_up24_004.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Ok, so killing them one at a time is clearly not an option.

bg2_up24_005.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Boom!

We're out of spells by now, but this is when Wand of Fire comes in handy.

bg2_up24_006.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Is that a demon they are summonning?

bg2_up24_007.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I guess that answers my question. Boom!

bg2_up24_008.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Fuck, fuck, fuck!

bg2_up24_009.jpg

Enemies turn on Nabassu, and our hero uses the confusion to kill Valeria.

bg2_up24_010.jpg

codex_10.jpg
At this rate the wand will be out of charges before this update ends.

At least we are getting some nice screenshots out of it.

bg2_up24_011.jpg

codex_10.jpg
This is no challenge if they are not attacking me.

Anyway, Pitre is down.

bg2_up24_012.jpg

That does it for Nabassu.

codex_10.jpg
Alright! Bring it on!

bg2_up24_013.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Boom!

bg2_up24_014.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Damnit! This skeleton hits like a truck!

bg2_up24_015.jpg

This was weird.

Death Count: 137

codex_10.jpg
I can't believe we managed to fuck this up!

bg2_up24_016.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Once more unto the breach!

bg2_up24_017.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Boom! I really wish this wand had unlimited charges.

bg2_up24_018.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Boo- Fuck, not with the demon again!

bg2_up24_019.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Boom! Good thing that loot cannot get damaged when I'm using this.

bg2_up24_020.jpg

And Pitre is down, again.

bg2_up24_021.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Boom! It is too almost easy if they stand so close to each other.

bg2_up24_022.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Alright!

We already were in this spot before, so let's not get distracted just yet.

bg2_up24_023.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I guess I might as well use it up... Boom!

bg2_up24_024.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Multiple kill, woohoo!

And we scored another nice screenshot.

bg2_up24_025.jpg

codex_10.jpg
I will admit that this guy has some cojones, since he still wants to fight me.

bg2_up24_026.jpg

codex_10.jpg
However, no brains.

bg2_up24_027.jpg

codex_10.jpg
Time to get some reward for my trouble.

bg2_up24_028.jpg

codex_10.jpg
This is quite nice.

bg2_up24_029.jpg

codex_10.jpg
And there is even something to read.

bg2_up24_030.jpg

codex_10.jpg
But their equipment is total shit, with these bracelets being the only thing even worth picking up, and barely.

-----

[DISCLAIMER BREAK]

I want to note a potential problem we might encounter from now on. In my opinion, Staff of the Magi is THE most powerful item in the whole game. Not only it provides substantial bonuses (+2 to AC and saving throws), as well as being a +5 weapon (at least the THaC0 and damage bonus is only +1), giving immunity to demons (they literally cannot attack someone affected with Protection From Evil) AND dispelling magic on hit, but it ALSO allows to become invisible at will, with no limits to use. You can use this power while being in enemies' sight range. That last ability is enough to cheese through 98% of the fights in the game (the remaining 2% is when You fight enemies who see the invisible and are not demons, like liches). Strike, become invisible, strike again, become invisible, etc. Welcome to Cheeseland.

I want to assure everyone that I will try (and horribly fail the attempt) not to abuse this abilitys.

codex_10.jpg
Or just let me enjoy my new toy and I may spare your life in the end. Maybe.

[/DISCLAIMER BREAK]

-----

Next time: we will struggle not to abuse Staff of The Magi, resulting in many horrible deaths.

codex_10.jpg
But first, some rest, right? Right?

Next quest selection details:
After recently replaying the content from last ten updates again, I will be glad for something new, even if it means dragon fighting.

1. Firkraag [Azira]
2. Trademeet [Stonewolf]
3. Firkraag [Erebus]
4. Firkraag [Krivol]
5. Trademeet [TOME]
6. Temple Ruins [Rod Rodderson]
7. Trademeet [Stygian Lurker]
8. Trademeet [Storyfag]

EDIT:
Oh, wait, the dice rolling feature is disabled for the moment. We will be going to Trademeet then, since it got the most votes.
(Unless the feature comes back before I actually play through Trademeet; then I will make the roll here and go with the result.)

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Some catastrophe happen. But pictures looks somewhat better.
Excellent job, man. Continuing despite problems is the trait of real codexer.

My vote for Firkraag. Time to finish him.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
pictures looks somewhat better
It seems that they are not as downscaled as they were before the 'upgrade'. That makes me think I probably should switch to 640x480 resolution for the remaining of the game, because 800x600 is pointless with DU's modification to Xenforo, which automatically limit the width of the posts.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Good stuff. Hopefully you'll still find new and amusing ways to torment Codex, even with his new cheese-tastic equipment.

And just to be contrary to all the people voting for Firkraag, I vote for exploring the graveyard and doing Korgan's quest. Oh, and also for the return of Codex: Private Eye in Trademeet, the murder-investigationy parts at least.

Erebus

Arcane
Nice job. From what I remember of my past fights against the Twisted Rune, Layene usually isn't much of a threat : like many other enemy wizards, she usually summons a Pit Fiend that instantly turns against her. I wonder if there's a patch to prevents that.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
like many other enemy wizards, she usually summons a Pit Fiend that instantly turns against her. I wonder if there's a patch to prevents that
Actually it is the other way around. The wizard casts Protection From Evil, summons the fiend and then attacks it, breaking the protection. I don't know anything about a patch. I have basically all the unofficial fixes installed for this playthrough.

Erebus

Arcane
Actually it is the other way around. The wizard casts Protection From Evil, summons the fiend and then attacks it, breaking the protection.

Didn't realize that. I guess it's because the wizard identifies the fiend as hostile even though he's protected from it.

Strange that there's been no patch to fix this problem (if only by preventing wizards from summoning fiends !).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
I will probably be able to resume the LP in September, although there is some slight chance for an update in August.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom