Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Baltika9

Arcane
AC%2FDC+-+Big+Gun+-+12%22+RECORD%2FMAXI+SINGLE-19924.jpg

:yeah:
As far as basic systems go, the drills, the lasers and the degen field would definitely be the most useful against drone swarm tactics.
Which is why we have two armadas' worth of covering fire. The only reason I voted for VII is that it automatically covers us against drone explosives and CF sabers, without us having divert attention to operate black holes. That, and the fladh AoE and ramming pitential are great.

I look forward to disabling their battlestations and CFs by turning them into Swiss Skanish cheese.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Which is why we have two armadas' worth of covering fire. The only reason I voted for VII is that it automatically covers us against drone explosives and CF sabers, without us having divert attention to operate black holes. That, and the fladh AoE and ramming pitential are great.

I look forward to disabling their battlestations and CFs by turning them into Swiss Skanish cheese.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Esquilax

Arcane
Wait, but didn't you say that VII gives the best direct tanking ability? Or did you mean the upgrade to VII?

The latter.

Damn, I thought you had meant the first, otherwise I would have kept my vote with the Devourer Shield. I suspect the majority of us who flopped misunderstood and went with VII based on that.

Baltika9, I believe we can win this (otherwise I wouldn't have voted for splitting up), but this sort of blind optimism is stupid. True, the Annihilation Cannon is useful if we win this war and make it to fight the Masters, but here in this dimension it isn't doing us much favours. The covering fire isn't a great advantage because we only have ~1,300 super-heavy battleships combined with Delta's 2,000 + 20 fortresses. We are vastly outgunned, so at best, they'll have to serve as a meat shield while we get into position to do some damage.

If we had the Ring Familiars, we could fire black holes from behind our own lines and avoid friendly fire entirely to hit their fortresses, or if we had Gravity Wings IX we could get in place through sheer speed, but now our job is much harder. I think we can still take them because we have the element of surprise helping us before they can really get ready, but we are going to take significant losses while our forces act as a diversion as we get into position to wreak havoc. There's just no way around it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, I doubt there'll be much flops as to where to go, so I'll start writing in a while.

By the way, one of the things the League likes to do with their fuckton of drones is to throw them in the way of an incoming danger like say, a nuke... or perhaps a black hole, before it's travelled far in that predictable straight line. Sacrificing a few dozen drones to make your black hole/annihilation cannon payload detonate prematurely is a rather good deal. At least it would be if premature detonation of the annihilation cannon didn't actually lead to really really bad stuff for everyone in the system, which they don't know.

Let's hope they're not smart enough to utilize this tactic immediately and we're not stupid enough to spam our genocidal superweapon like it doesn't have any drawbacks, shall we?

Baltika9

Arcane
You didn't pay attention for why I picked the cannon: Anhur-Shu is the heavy artillery in this scenario. We have enough power to destroy a solar system, ffs.

The light ships will be our covering to keep most of the heat off our ass (who are you going to focus on, the lone dude fiddling with something you fon't know, or the hundred thousand+ battleships behind him spitting hellfire?), the armor will take care of the few drones that do hit us.

Meanwhile, we spit out a massive 'sploshun, decimate the bulk of their forces (you're underestimating the shock this will cause) and then teleport into close combat and start ripping shit up with the ring slaves and our own skills. We still have our "old" tech that far surpasses anything the League has come up with so far.

Or, y'know, get drowned in drones and die a horribly humiliating death when one of them clogs up our cannon mid-shot. :M

The light ships will be our covering to keep most of the heat off our ass (who are you going to focus on, the lone dude fiddling with something you fon't know, or the hundred thousand+ battleships behind him spitting hellfire?), the armor will take care of the few drones that do hit us.
They'll know we can fire black holes. The rumors that have undoubtedly spread about how we black holed Marduk, combined with the fact that our black hole generator tech has been known to them since the wormhole mission and the fact that they probably have spies (and traitors, remember?) within our forces, adds up to them almost certainly knowing Anhur-Shi can fire black holes. The specifics may not be known to them, but I'm betting that taking out Uranus in one shot pretty much cemented Anhur-Shi's status as a WMD to them. "Holy crap! It's Senya Hoshikawa! Drone him before we all diiieee!" or similar will be uttered before the battle's out, I'm sure.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If a lone CF that's larger than usual, clearly a custom model, looking totally badass and awesome with gravity wings, is out front alone fiddling with something you don't know, and the battleships are all safely behind trying to shoot down anything that comes near him...

No, I don't think that works out as a distraction for Senya. He'll get focused upon by so many beams that he'll be swimming in particles. :lol:

There'll be an way option for the cannon to be used, and it's my job to make that happen in a reasonable way since the choice has been picked, but that definitely isn't it.

Baltika9

Arcane
So we can't dial up Grimrock's fleet and request a black hole salvo to clear our path of drones right before we shoot?

So much for that idea. Fuck it, we'll figure something out, Senya is one creative bastard.

1. Jump fleet and Senya just outside sensor range.
2. Wormhole Senya into a hiding spot to recharge the generator and charge up the black hole. Maybe right above the sun. The solar flares and crap will interfere with their sensors and our energy armor will/might ( treave? ) protect us provided we're not right up in the sun's grill.
3. Fire the weapon into the sun and run straight upward in the opposite direction.
4. System blows up.
5. Survive????
6. Profit.

Baltika9

Arcane
Or simply obscure ourselves with the gravity wings. It worked on supergenius Adrahasis, it should work here.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Fire weapon into the sun -> a gazillion tons of stellar material hits you and everyone else in the system at the speed of light as the sun goes nova instantly. You won't have time to escape.

Also gravity wings worked the last time because Adrahasis was talking to you. Sustaining fire from even a hundred battleships for the time it takes to charge is out of the question.

Employing the Annihilation Cannon properly will require Tactical Genius, as befitting a weapon of its power. I am unsure how you guys expected anything less. :obviously:

Baltika9

Arcane
In my defense, I thought that shrouding our CF and hiding it behind the advancing light ships while it charges up, coordinating with Grimrock to clear our path of fire, and then suddenly unveiling ourself and pulling a surprise attack would be Tactical Genius enough.

Obviously not. Alright, let's get to the steak and potatoes.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Proceeding with Galactic Core Invasion.

Tejat A:
1st Fleet, 2nd Fleet, 4th Fleet, 5th Fleet
Dragon's Guard, Emperor's Sword, Devourer's Hammer, Wolf's Shield

Gelmark:
3rd Fleet, 6th Fleet, 7th Fleet
Raven's Lance, Serpent's Wing

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I abstained from voting here on purpose. It's funny, sometimes I find it more amusing to watch you others vote and argue, while at other times I find it more enjoyable to participate.
This time was one of the former. It's like an elaborate and very slow-moving trainwreck, and I'm so looking forward to treaves update.

These freeform votes are just the perfect recipe for some sort of fuckup. :salute:

Baltika9

Arcane
Fuck yeah they are! Of course, it's even more satisfying when we actually beat the system, so it all evens out.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Departure and Arrival: Gelmark

Sol System 04.08.4033
Two months after Battle of Uranus

No launching of a fleet is complete without a speech to commemorate the departure; to state clearly the reasons for going so far with so many. Done well, it would rouse the men to greater heights and ensure victory was that much closer. Done poorly… well, we might as well leave them at home. The Grand Marshal had been tasked with the rather herculean effort of attempting to reach the hearts every man and woman on each ship of the 400,000-strong Galactic Core Invasion Force. He was not a stellar speaker – certainly he could not spin words and weave them in a manner I suspect that old bastard Shulgi would have excelled at – but he spoke earnestly, with conviction, and above all, honesty.

“You aren’t paying much attention to the speech, are you?” Qin drops herself on the couch besides me, watching the visage of Ean superimposed over the rows of ships floating proudly before the blue orb of Earth.

“I skipped out on the rehearsals too. Anyway, it’s not that I’m not glad to see you, but why are you here?”

“I have permission from the Admiral.”

“To bid us goodbye? You better hurry, we’re going to commence the jump at any moment now.”

“No, to come along.”

I almost bite my tongue. “Why would you want to come along?”

She winks. “For fleet morale. You might not know it, but 4 out of 5 of the Imperial Legion commanders have asked for my autograph, and I’m not bragging when I say that every single one of your Federation soldiers is probably a fan of mine.”

“That can’t be true.” I say, bemused.

“Really? Why don’t you look at this?” She takes out her phone and displays a picture for me – it’s that of Vic Camna uncharacteristically smiling and shaking hands with her.

“Alright, now I’m convinced.”

“From what I’ve heard, you might have admiral troubles later down the line. You might need my help to keep the peace.”

I narrow my eyes. “Who have you heard it from?”

“I have my sources,” she grins mischieviously. “I always do. Oh, I had one more thing I needed to say. I think I really like you.” I do bite my tongue this time. Before I can respond, she’s run off, only stopping to peek over her shoulder with a smile.

Someone’s popular,” says Kyrie. “How nice, you have an idol princess waiting for you after everything’s over.”

“A real princess is better,” I give a small chuckle as she takes her seat where Qin had been. “There’s no need to worry. After everything is over I’ll likely be dead.”

“W-who said I was worried about you?” She tries her usual comeback, but it’s clear that her heart isn’t in it. Her small shoulders shift as she sighs. We sit in silence for a while, watching the Federation fleets moving into position. They would create the wormholes that would carry the more numerous Imperial vessels through to their destinations. I feel the artificial gravity change ever so slightly, indicating that the asteroid shipis beginning to move. “It is time, isn’t it?” asks Kyrie. I nod silently. She gives me a smile that tells me I am a total idiot, and leans over to give me a light peck on the lips before she disappears.

The bridge is a hive of activity when I reach it. I had managed to rope in Tomas and Kaito to help me manage the Sword of Ean, as Admiral Grimrock preferred to command from his flagship, the Ankidu. There would be no problems with the chain of command. The remaining crew of the asteroid ship are familiar with the asteroid from its days as a Gate instead of a Sword: veterans of the former Autonomous Fleet. The astronavigators on the bridge and the engineers that maintain it are Earth-born, sworn members of the Order of Pithos. Rei and Erika are here, of course, while Erec and the rest of the Dunamis are stationed with Sekhenun at his own request.

I had already said my goodbyes to my family; they would remain here, helping Iannes with the military aspect of things while the bulk of the fleet was gone. My father was placed in the perfect position to do so – not high ranking enough to be needed on the assault, and not so low ranking that no one would listen to him. They would be safe… for a while, at least.

Qin seems to have made herself comfortable on one of the bridge’s seats and gives me a wave as Grimrock’s craggy face pops up on the vidscreen.

“So, are we ready to do this, kid?”

“You’re the Admiral here, you tell me.” I grin.

“Oh, cut that bullshit. You’re the one familiar with all this new technological magic you made us all adopt. It’s your show.”

“I don’t have the beard for it, Admiral. I’ll be advising, but the orders will look better coming from you.” Grimrock scratches his great big bushy beard. I have Yua take a look at the data coming in from the fleets; all of them are prepped and ready to go. A secondary screen pops up at my prompting, showing the technician in charge of the black hole engine clusters powering the Sword of Ean. “Engineer Islington here. We’re right on schedule and can open the wormhole on your say so.”

“Michael? From the Academy?” I ask, surprised by his presence. He has lost his baby fat since our teenage years and grown into a rather lanky engineer.

“The one and the same, Senya-dono.” He gives me a brief salute. I return the salute, and shift my attention back to Admiral Grimrock.

“As it turns out, we are ready to go, Admiral. Just say the word.”

“Very well. Broadcast to all ships.” He gestures to someone offscreen. “This is Admiral Grimrock of the Federation Third Fleet. We will be commencing our jump to Gelmark in five minutes. I am sure all of you have attended the briefings, or at least pretended to. We expect heavy resistance soon after our arrival, so I want all combat personnel to be on standby for an immediate sortie. This is just the first step of our long journey, and I’m sure all of you are relishing the challenge. Admiral Grimrock, over and out.”

“Alright,” I call out. “You heard the Admiral. The timer is set – make sure to coordinate the jump with each ship on either side of you. You have done the simulations, so I don’t want to find us in the heart of a star in five minutes’ time.” The activity on the bridge intensifies as everyone rushes to get ready for the jump. Erika comes up to me, dressed in full combat attire. “Senya.”

“Erika. Is everything ready?”

She nods curtly. “Rei is already inside Anhur-Shu, making some final adjustments with Tabitha and the Chief.”

“Are you ready?”

This time, the nod is accompanied with a slight smile. “Always.”

The hum permeating the ship increases in volume as the wormholes begin to form, in preparation for the jump.

Gelmark System. 04.08.4033

The moment we exit the wormhole, I realize that something is wrong. Gelmark is a binary star system with three gas giants and many space fortresses. The stars and the gas giants were still there, but the space fortresses weren’t. Sector Armada Delta itself was on the move, travelling towards the jump point that led further into the core. The space fortresses were mobile, and were usually fitted with a slipspace drive to move them between systems. It looks like the League had decided to abandon Gelmark for some reason.

“Master, Delta has spotted us.” Yua makes her report. The armada appears to speed up on screen, attempting to reach the jump point faster. They do not make any attempt to fire on us. Were they fleeing our fleet? Due to the preponderance of heavy ships, Delta would be a bit more sluggish. However, because of the distances involved, we would only be able to intercept by sending out fast cruisers and a light force of CFs. The rest of our forces would not be able to get in range in time.

A. Intercept Armada Delta by any means necessary, even if it means possibly over-extending our forces. Our main point in coming to Gelmark was to destroy them; we can't allow the armada to flee unharmed. If they get away, they can set an ambush for us at the next system.

B. Proceed as a cohesive unit, even though it means we will not intercept Delta before it reaches the jump point. We can jump after it once the entire fleet reaches there - splitting ourselves again might be stretching us too thin - I'm not sure if their act of retreat isn't a trap.

C. Ignore Armada Delta and take the jump to Bainur. If they have moved the space fortresses, there is a good chance they moved at least some of them to Bainur, which is only a single, one week jump away. The other taskforce should take a bit quicker to arrive from Tejat A; perhaps in about five days.

D. I test out my new Annihilation Cannon on the retreating fleet. At this distance I'm not confident of hitting all of them, and the trail of high energy cosmic radiation left behind will prevent us from following them quickly, if at all, but I should be able to do serious damage to the enemy fleet if I don't miss them entirely.

Baltika9

Arcane
Wait a fucking second... what are the specs on the Sword of Ean?
“A real princess is better,” I give a small chuckle as she takes her seat where Qin had been. “There’s no need to worry. After everything is over I’ll likely be dead.”
Damn, this is bittersweet. Very bittersweet. Reminds me of this
The Operative: I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: So me and mine gotta lay down and die... so you can live in your better world?
The Operative: I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... any more than there is for you. Malcolm... I'm a monster. What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done.
-
Gunslinger: I'm a creature of war. I have no role to play during peace.
Senya are the embodiment of destruction. If we win, does he have a place in the multiverse he's trying to create? Sorry, getting off track here.

I'm glad we didn't mass-attack Gelmark, but I'll need to ponder this. My natural reaction is to hammer them asap, but this may just be a trap.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's 80km long, powered by four black hole engines, and is made more to tank hits than to outgun other battleships. It's carrying the Jupiter bomb after all.

Esquilax

Arcane
These fucks are trying to lure us in. This could likely be why they haven't attacked us. A strikes me as very bad; they've already seen us, and if we send our lightly armored cruisers and CF's in, which comprise the largest segment of our force, they'll be able to sit back with their super-heavy battleships to fire at us while launching their drones. Look at the numbers:

Raven’s Lance:
500 super heavy battleships
10500 battleships
68500 cruisers

Serpent’s Wing:
700 super heavy battleships
13500 battleships
55000 cruisers

3rd Fleet:
1 asteroid battle-station
1 super heavy battleship
10 battleships
500 cruisers
5000 combat frames

6th Fleet:
1 super heavy battleship
110 battleships
1250 cruisers
5500 combat frames

7th Fleet:
1 super heavy battleship
90 battleships
1100 cruisers
4300 combat frames

Sector Armada Delta:
2000 super heavy battleships
25000 battleships
35000 cruisers
1000000 drones

So we've got ~125,000 cruisers compared to their 35,000, so this is the bulk of our force. I think Delta's commander realizes that if he destroys our cruisers, we're screwed, so I think he's trying to draw us out. Then again, if we don't take the bait, they've seen us already and they would be in a great position to barrage the fuck out of us once we try to follow them to the next jump point.

That being said, C presents its own problems; we'll have two days before we can link up with Ean's force at Tejat A, so in that time, Epsilon could quite easily attack us. I'm going to have to think about this a bit longer.

Edit: I don't like D either unfortunately. We might hurt them a little, but in doing so we'll have revealed our biggest advantage and allowed them time to prepare for us in the future. It's short-sighted.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Since they're rather far away and appear to be retreating at the moment, I have added a D. Because, well, this is where you'd probably think that you would want to use a D. It would be unsporting of me not to offer the option. Whether it is entirely the right thing to do or not, I leave it up to you to decide.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom