Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Baltika9

Arcane
With B, you just get more of an infodump than in A (fleshing out the Empire more fully), at the cost of being held hostage.
You guys suck.

First, you get Kyrie killed as soon as I leave, then you get Terra nuked and Shulgi sent off into the Sun.

Then you deny me a black-hole powered fleet and now I don't get to see Senya be heroically rescued by The Bro Of Bros (and Rei) and chatting up hawt war-godesses while Kyrie isn't around.
:rpgcodex:

Spoil all my fun, why don't you.

Tigranes

Arcane
Man. I was literally coming on the forum to flop after a couple hours out. Sorry, Hoshikawa.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Great job totally ignoring me again, bros! :greatjob:

Ah, but I can't blame you. I was tempted by this one too. Can't resist the loredumps... If it hadn't been for the obvious lies AND his past history, I would have gone with A.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Real Crusade

The young boy’s serious face appears on the screen, the image slightly fuzzy with interference from the gravity wings that have formed a cocoon around Anhur-Shu.

“There is no need for such caution. I will not harm you.” The boy concentrates on me; I can feel him extending his mind, attempting to lock on to my position.

“That would be great, but if you would be quick about it… what do you have to say?” I reply.

“There is no need for pointless conflict. Enough of my countrymen have died today. Surely you do not wish to have any more blood staining your hands.”

“My hands are already plenty filthy as it is. A million more lives won’t make a difference.”

“How can you treat life with so little care?” frets Adrahasis.

“We did warn you that there would be blood spilled if you did not come to the negotiating table. Didn’t expect it to be yours, eh? Anyway, let’s get straight to the point, shall we?”

“Very well,” sighs the boy, composing himself. “First, I will inform you of our goals on this campaign. You know that it is a crusade meant to take Earth, but I do not think you know the true reason behind it. We do not have time to explain it in detail. To be brief, the Emperor requires the last Gieloth to complete himself and turn Earth into a portal.”

“A portal to the ones that created this universe?” I venture.

“Yes. You are surprisingly informed.” Adrahasis makes a slight bow. “The Star League have been forthcoming with information, I presume?”

“Something like that,” I wave my hand at him. “Carry on.”

“The ultimate goal of the Crusade is not Earth. I would have required just thirty thousand vessels to break the League’s defensive cordon. They do not prioritize this sector of space much anymore. Given your defensive capabilities, a mere five thousand ships would have conquered Earth easily.”

“That was before you encountered us, right?”

“You are correct; the robot you pilot was not in my calculations. But as I said, we did not throw every last ship we have at Earth in order to conquer it. We did not expect any more than token resistance.”

“Every…” Well, this is bad. The standing force of the Imperial navy is estimated to be at over four hundred thousand warships. If he truly meant every last ship, that included a hundred thousand more ships in reserve, according to Mere’s numbers. I lean back and think to my AI. “Yua, tap the communications satellites at Jupiter. Let me know what is going on there.”

“It will take four hours to establish the communication, Master. After that, we will constantly be two hours behind.”

“What if you route it through a quantum wormhole?”

“It’ll cut the lag to seconds, but my processing capabilities aren’t powerful enough for that. Sorry.”

“I’ll deal with the advanced algorithms, just get working on it. You have permission to tap into my brain.”

“Can I? Really?” She sounds overly excited for what I just said.

“Yes, yes you can. Just don’t get carried away. Hurry.” I turn my attention back to Adrahasis, who is smiling faintly. Bastard. There is a slight jolt at the back of my mind as Yua connects to it; I suppress the sensation and focus on talking to Adrahasis. “If you don’t need the fleet for Earth, surely you don’t mean to use it to challenge the Masters?”

“Masters? Ah, yes, that is what the Star League calls them. You are correct. Earth happens to have had a strong connection to their dimension once. Once the Emperor regains his full strength by consuming the last Gieloth, he will be able to turn the planet into a gateway. The one at the center of the galaxy is too well-defended from the other end for us to mount an assault. It took me the better part of a month to organize the fleet movements under the Star League’s noses, but it paid off when they took the bait.“

“What happens to the people of Earth when you transform the planet, then?”

“They would not survive the transformation. That is what I want to negotiate. Hand the Gieloth over and we will help with the evacuation of all of Earth’s population. We have no real quarrel with you.”

“The Emperor was talking about ruling Earth. What you are saying does not jive with his words.”

“Ah, that.” The boy’s smile turns wan. “That is a result of him… it… playing the role of an Emperor. In its mind, whether from a remnant of its host’s thoughts or an idea it obtained from somewhere, it has created for itself the impression that an Emperor is one that conquers and rules, a larger-than-life figurehead that takes many concubines and protects his people, serving as an exemplar for them to follow. Of course, once he has conquered the planet, there is nothing stopping him from turning it into a portal. It would be his property, after all. But make no mistake, underneath all of that play-acting lies a being with only one overriding objective in mind – to enter the domain of the gods and devour them. It does not truly care for anything else, no matter what it says. It cannot be negotiated with; it expects you only to bow, but should we present it with a solution when he recovers from his regenerative stupor it would accept as long as its ultimate goal is served. The entity may be somewhat temperamental, but not vengeful. That is part of the role it plays – as the Emperor, he is also supposed to be magnanimous and generous.”

Regenerative stupor, eh?

“Why are you even helping him? He sounds rather flaky.”

“Because we deserve our freedom.” Adrahasis’s eyes blaze fiercely. “This game has been rigged from the start to favour the formation of the League and its eventual victory. The ‘Masters’ are looking for a result that suits only them. We cannot let that happen. So, what will you decide? Will you assist us in reaching a compromise?”

“Master, I have the reports from Jupiter,” whispers Yua urgently. “Imperial ships are dropping out of slipspace by the hundreds. The flow shows no sign of ending.”

Well, that's one thing confirmed. I grin at Adrahasis’s image. “I cannot promise you anything. I can’t speak for the Gieloth in question – she is her own person.”

“I do not need you to guarantee success, butI am afraid that if you refuse to help us I will be forced to end your threat to our plans. It is a pity, but...” He gestures offscreen. A few seconds later, it is as if a shroud falls away from around Anhur-Shu, revealing ten thousand ships cutting off every route of escape I might have – probably the same ten thousand he claimed to have sent on their way to Earth. I didn’t know they had cloaking technology that was so efficient - even with my heightened senses and sensor package, we could not detect their approach. They had probably gotten into position while I was distracted by Adrahasis.

Rei frowns and reaches for the controls. “Brother, should I-“

“The moment your robot tries to escape, they have orders to unload a full salvo on top of you,” warns Adrahasis.

“That is really cruel, master tactician,” I say. “Coercing a promise like this means nothing if I go back on my word, you know.”

“That is right. Which is why I will institute a mind pact with you. We will both commit to the terms that I have stated. If either of us breaks our word, or if the pact is tampered in any way, our brains will be fried in our skull.” I wonder if I will be able to break the pact safely with my abilities, though it sounds too risky to try.

“The terms you have stated? This is not negotiation.”

“It is not, “ he agrees. “However, hard times call for hard measures. I am holding the advantage in this conversation and thus have the right to dictate terms. I am sorry, but this is for the sake of your planet too. I would really like to have your power at our side against the creators, but I will be satisfied if you just stay out of our way. The rest of the Crusade fleet will hold at Jupiter until the Emperor and I arrive. That should take at least two more weeks now. I hope you will be able to bring me the Gieloth by then.”

I laugh.

“What is so funny?” frowns Adrahasis.

You have the advantage?” I suppress a giggle as I fold back the gravity wings, revealing the fully-charged black orb at the center of Anhur-Shu’s chest that I had been hiding. It’s been in preparation for a while. Tracing the mental strings that tie Adrahasis to me, I recite the coordinates that it comes from out loud. Adrahasis’s face turns pale.

“If I even see a hint of a turret getting ready to fire upon me, you can enjoy the rest of your eternal life entombed in a black hole.” I say.

“I… see. Very well. What do you want then? We should hurry and reach a conclusion soon,” sighs Adrahasis. “The Emperor will awaken very shortly. I cannot guarantee your safety from him if you are still resisting us then."

If I fire the black hole cannon now, I won’t be able to make any long-range jumps for a day. I will have to retreat via conventional means until I have lost them and the engines have regained enough power.

A. I fire the black hole cannon anyway. If they’re foolish enough to let me charge it, I should use it.
1. I fire it at Adrahasis. That little brat deserves what’s coming.
2. I fire it at Uranus. If the dragon is still in a regenerative stupor, it should not be able to defend itself from my attack.

B. I do not fire the black hole cannon out of multiple considerations.
1. I agree to Adrahasis’s terms, minus the mind pact, and warp out of there as soon as I can. I need to discuss this with Sekhenun. I can always break my promise later on.
2. I insist on new terms of my own (player-made) and then go with the mind pact to ensure Adrahasis will follow through.

Baltika9

Arcane
Creed.gif

Will sleep on this, but B1 is not an option. All our struggles to protect this particular ball of mud aside, I really don't feel like fighting a pissed-off Tree-Ean.

What could we ask for with B2, I wonder. Calling off the Crusade is not an option, that's for sure (although finishing off the Emprah may achieve that, I see no reason for their crusade once he's dead. Unfortunately, that means we're dead too);

Taking out the Prince of Bel-Air will hurt them tactically. Having your Emperor, greatest General and forty-five thousand ships defeated in under an hour will be pretty damned demoralizing for any army.

:hmmm:

Baltika9

Arcane
Semi-serious question, treave: can we unload a fuckton of ordnance and black holes on Jupiter and turn it into a huge thermonuke?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You could manually turn it into a second sun ala Space Odyssey 2010 by artifically compressing the planet enough to ignite hydrogen fusion. Anything that happens to be orbiting it would be rather... inconvenienced.

However, it takes a truck load of energy to pull off and you'd need someone to help you hold off the hundreds of thousands of Imperial ships while you work your gravity magic.

Or you could do it from within the Jovian atmosphere, but that means you'll barely have enough time to escape the formation of the new star.

Baltika9

Arcane
Uh-huh. Well, that sounds like our best bet. Unless you guys have a better idea on how to obliterate three hundred and fifty-five thousand warships with Adrahanis/Marduk/Both.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Honestly, though, turning Jupiter into a sun is not going even going to put a real dent in their numbers. You'd probably burn a few thousand ships and warm the others. It's not like they're all going to be swarming over Jupiter like flies when they can be saving fuel by floating at a far distance from its gravity well.

You'd want to turn it into a black hole bomb.

Esquilax

Arcane
treave, in a mind pact, does it mean that if either person breaks it, both participants have their brains fried? Or only the person that broke it?

“That is right. Which is why I will institute a mind pact with you. We will both commit to the terms that I have stated. If either of us breaks our word, or if the pact is tampered in any way, our brains will be fried in our skull.” I wonder if I will be able to break the pact safely with my abilities, though it sounds too risky to try.

So let's say we decide to convince Adrahasis to agree to some terms of our own and he ends up breaking the mind pact due to clever trickery on our end - does it mean Senya is fucked?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Both of them get fried. It's to promote mutual trust, good-will and cooperation. :lol:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hey, if we nuke his Emperor space dragon god sufficiently that he cannot regenerate within a reasonable timeframe, why would Bel'A then waste his forces in attacking Earth? :M

Remove the Emperor, and Bel'A will have no reason to stay, except for petty vengeance. I don't have him pegged as such.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A snarl crosses my mind and the dragon raises its spear again. I swivel the particle cannons on Anhur’s shoulder and fire a close range blast that blows off the claw wielding the spear. The lightning scatters and fades, leaving nothing behind but sparks.

It seems we blew off the claw holding Vajra. Meaning the Emperor should not have the Vajra shield up now. A black hole would pull a nasty trick on him. The reason it failed the first time was because of the Vajra shield if I read it correctly.

Does Senya know/can he feel where the Vajra thing flew off to?

Kayerts

Arcane
Bros, I have what's probably a terrible idea: this Adrahasis seems like a p. cool guy.

“Why are you even helping him? He sounds rather flaky.”
“Because we deserve our freedom.” Adrahasis’s eyes blaze fiercely. “This game has been rigged from the start to favour the formation of the League and its eventual victory. The ‘Masters’ are looking for a result that suits only them. We cannot let that happen.

He doesn't seem to really respect the Emperor, but he's pissed at the Masters and the League and figures Marduk is his best shot against them.

Senya and Rei have just defeated Marduk. We are a better shot than he is. I propose we ask Adrahasis to please move his ships out of the way, so that none of them will be hurt when we fire a planet-busting black hole at Marduk.

In return, we will ally with Adrahasis in war against the League. Our black hole weaponry will give his people the victory they crave. If they do very well, perhaps we shall grant them the honor of being the first wave of our assault when we research a way to open a portal to the Masters' homeworld.
:troll:

Edit: Voting for this, B2. Death to the False Emperor!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You'd want to turn it into a black hole bomb.
Can we do it? Does Senya have any idea how to?

Oh, yes. Yes he does. The only reason stopping him from doing it is because when it blows up it will engulf the solar system. :lol:

Now if you turned the Sun into a black hole with your gravity mojo, you could possibly fuck up the entire galactic core for good.

Perhaps if we could pack it up into a nice container and transport it somewhere useful, like another dimension...

A snarl crosses my mind and the dragon raises its spear again. I swivel the particle cannons on Anhur’s shoulder and fire a close range blast that blows off the claw wielding the spear. The lightning scatters and fades, leaving nothing behind but sparks.

It seems we blew off the claw holding Vajra. Meaning the Emperor should not have the Vajra shield up now. A black hole would pull a nasty trick on him. The reason it failed the first time was because of the Vajra shield if I read it correctly.

Does Senya know/can he feel where the Vajra thing flew off to?

That was just a manifestation, not the actual Vajra itself (which isn't dozens of metres long like the spear would have to be). The real thing is kept nicely inside the Emperor's chest. He likes having it there. As shown in the update he also can't have the shield up all the time, at least not at the scale required to protect his flagship and/or big dragon body, or at the level required to block big nukes.

Esquilax

Arcane
He doesn't seem to really respect the Emperor, but he's pissed at the Masters and the League and figures Marduk is his best shot against them.

Senya and Rei have just defeated Marduk. Oh, sure, he's not dead, but if Adrahasis wasn't standing guard with his 55k ships, he would be. I propose we ask Adrahasis to please move his ships out of the way, so that none of them will be hurt when we fire a planet-busting black hole at Marduk.

In return, we will ally with Adrahasis in war against the League. Our black hole weaponry will give his people the victory they crave. If they do very well, perhaps we shall grant them the honor of being the first wave of our assault when we research a way to open a portal to the Masters' homeworld.

The issue here is that he says Marduk as the best bet to escape from the rigged game that the Masters have been playing for eons. No Marduk, no freedom. Could we persuade him by informing him that we have a champion of our own in Ean, who will be returning? Will that be enough, I wonder?

Kayerts

Arcane
"That guy who kicked your god's ass the last time he was here."

Ean might sweeten the deal, but if all Adrahasis wants is an alarmingly powerful ally, imbued with a power outside of the Masters and capable of overthrowing them, Senya seems good enough on his own, no? A black hole fleet wouldn't hurt, either.

Baltika9

Arcane
I doubt Marduk done told everyone how big of a pussy he was back in the day, so nobody would know of Ean, except the ones he pissed off. And even if we do give them Ean, they still need a portal to Masters Inc. Why go through the trouble of fighting the League, when Terra is right there?

Now, ifMarduk were dead, that would be a different story.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
When did Ean kick Marduk's ass? :lol: As I recall we backstabbed him using Zeus's power then were about to get schooled by Zeus himself. Are you imagining some epic battle that doesn't exist?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Senya and Rei have just defeated Marduk. Oh, sure, he's not dead, but if Adrahasis wasn't standing guard with his 55k ships, he would be. I propose we ask Adrahasis to please move his ships out of the way, so that none of them will be hurt when we fire a planet-busting black hole at Marduk.

The issue here is that he says Marduk as the best bet to escape from the rigged game that the Masters have been playing for eons. No Marduk, no freedom. Could we persuade him by informing him that we have a champion of our own in Ean, who will be returning? Will that be enough, I wonder?

I believe we should at least try. It appears we share many goals and ideas with the Empire. We the players, that is. Let us work together towards freedom from the Masters *without* having to sacrifice Sekhenun and Earth. Once we awaken Ean (which is not coming anytime soon, considering that Rei is here with us), we'll manage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom