Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I wonder if Sekhenun can shed some more light on Senyas and Reis creation. She is a brilliant scientific mind after all, and the cult seems in part to be inspired by herself? Or at least by the Gieloth.

Would be interesting with more lore. What was it that they tried to channel? Was it the knowledge of the Overseer thing? Was it the Masters? Was it Ean and Sekhenun, via the Inanna flowers?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The previous update was getting too bloated for me to address everything. Senya has quite some knowledge about his origins from his unlocked memories. On that note the loredump is growing out of hand again, I'll be spinning it off into an intermission.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Not exactly. It's just a conversation with Sekh that should clear up most questions about the flowers and related cosmic stuff.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Intermission: The Goddess and the Youth

Sekhenun had taken very little time to get her laboratory up and running. Looking around, I see that most of the equipment is meant for biological work. She notices me glancing at the machines and comes over, adjusting the gloves on her hands.

“I specialize mainly in biology, though I dabbled a bit with transdimensional physics back in the day,” says the alien. “Still, I can’t believe how wonderful things are nowadays. I had to create most of my equipment from scratch. Can you believe how hard it was to find a passable scalpel five thousand years ago?”

“It sounds like you haven’t been keeping an eye on recent… well, relatively recent developments. You said that you were a goddess. What does that mean, exactly?”

“It’s a long story.” She points over to an empty lab bench. “Take a sit over there while I finish up with the frogs.”

She does so. Then, she tells me everything.

Well, almost everything.

“So, you call them ‘Masters’.” I say, reflecting on my encounter with one of the beings she claims to have created the immortals.

“You have met them before?”

I nod. “Pretentiously polite, facetious and he got quite annoyed when I didn’t act according to his expectations.”

“Sounds like one of them,” she laughs. “They like to pretend that everything is under their control at all times.”

“You said that they were conducting a great experiment. If it has something to do with their chosen race reaching the center of the galaxy, does it mean that they’re attempting a form of artificial selection?” I ask.

“Yes. When a civilization reaches the core, it is asked to show the Masters what they have learnt. This enriches their own knowledge.”

“What can a god-like civilization learn from creating more primitive ones?”

“The value of knowledge is not only in material advances. They might be searching for some particular answer. They have repeated this cycle countlessly, destroying the universe and creating it anew millions of times. In fact, I am beginning to suspect that my ancestors were actually refugees of a previous civilization that somehow managed to escape the destruction of their universe. In our thousand-year journey through the stars we have never seen any sign of a sentient race other than humanity and the Gieloth. All sentient life appears to have been seeded by the Masters, and they have a distinct preference for humans. Then there’s the tell-tale signs of genetic degradation in my kind-“

“Wait,” I stop her. “Our thousand-year journey?”

“Is there anything wrong with that statement? I travelled with the other guy, of course.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be guardian deities of the Earth or something? I mean, the first thing the two of you do after attaining transcendence is to go off on a millennium-long honeymoon?”

She stares daggers at me. “It was a journey of knowledge and discovery. He just had to find out more about any potential threats to his precious planet. We were called back by your little girlfriend,” says Sekhenun testily. “Good job ruining the world, by the way.”

I look down guiltily and mutter a quick apology, before continuing with my questions. “Kyrie. I was seeing her ghost everywhere for a while there. What was that all about?”

“When we turned ourselves into the flowers our consciousness melded together. It exists as information in a higher dimension, separate from the world. One flower or a thousand, it makes no difference to us. Of course, if they were all destroyed we would have no way back. Now, what happens is that once our minds transcended, our perception grew immensely. The Earth became almost too small for us to perceive properly. You can understand why we turned our attention outwards.”

“I see. When the nanomachines that I derived from the flowers got to work, the information of those who were dissembled were dumped into your consciousness.”

“Hm, you’re not half as stupid as I thought you were. That’s right. We felt a mass of undifferentiated sentience pour into our own. Only one of those minds remained aware of itself – your woman. She managed to hold on to her consciousness and claw out from that sea of minds. She was fearful - not just fear for herself, but fear for you - but she overcame that fear, finding it in herself a tremendous effort of will and determination. That attracted our attention, and we began learning from her just what had happened. It was a gradual process, fraught with disbelief on our part.” Sekhenun chuckles.

“That doesn’t explain why Rei and I could see her.”

“Are you familiar with the theory that things must be observed to exist?”

“Ah,” I nod. “Yes. I am quite familiar with it. You are going to speak of the observer at the center of the multiverse, right?”

“Good, you already caught on. Of course you would; it is your nature. Alright, let us call it the Observer, since that is the name you are familiar with. You already remember your relation to it?”

“I am a terminal of the Observer. Of course, I am not certain if I was born that way, or made to be so during the ritual. It makes no real difference to me. The Observer observes something, and in the act of observing, that thing is. It does so in accordance with the records of fate that it maintains. The Records of Akasha. My interaction with the Observer is limited to being able to delete these records. In one way or another, the powers I exhibit are a representation of that deletion.”

“Hm, you’ve done your studies. Did the cult record all of this?”

“Them?” I had to laugh, remembering the pain they inflicted on me for sneaking into the restricted archives. The documents I retrieved were… dodgy. “They were hoping the Goddess would inhabit a vessel – boy, girl, it did not matter. That was all they thought about. I'm not sure how they got the technology to open a gate to the center of all worlds, and even less sure how they managed to get it to work. It is like expecting to replicate a creation myth by stirring water into a ball of mud. No, I gradually figured it out for myself. Part of me has had a lot of time to do so.”

“It is strange that Rei doesn’t seem to really know about all this.”

“I don’t think she would. She seems to treat her powers as a blessing, something not to be questioned.” I reply.

“Well, she is able to perceive things beyond the sight of mortals, but she doesn’t seem to be able to consciously identify information and the records like you do. It’s almost as if… No matter. Anyway, they treated this child-“ Sekhenun pointed to herself. “-as the Messenger, correct?”

“Yeah. The Messenger of the Goddess. Have you thought of something?”

“Well, I created this child a long, long time ago. From the records that Rei gave me, it appears that the dimensional technology the cult used was also a bastardization of my own work, and they had the idea to use the flowers to enhance the connection between dimensions.”

You might have been the Goddess that they sought to bring back, huh?”

She shrugs. “Perhaps. I see no evidence that they ever really understood what they were doing besides stumbling around in the dark.”

“We agree on that point,” I sigh. “Now, getting back to Kyrie…”

“Right. Your status as a terminal accords you the ability to see more than most. You had a strong desire to see her, and this made you more sensitive to her information. To be precise, your observation solidified her form, much in the same way that the Observer does on a multiversal scale. It allowed her to speak to you, and even punch you, if she wanted to. Of course, her information was scattered, in a sense – she had to gather it to a sufficient extent that you could begin to perceive it. She was only able to do so because she wanted to see you again, or so I suspect. She never did tell me why.”

Sekhenun pauses for a while, a wicked smile appearing on her lips.

“In other words, I suppose you could call it the power of true love. The love you had for each other allowed you to stay connected even when she was disembodied.”

“This is payback for that honeymoon comment, isn’t it?” I say with a straight face. She frowns, slightly disappointed. “I was sure you would be more flustered than this. This is no fun.”

“Well…” Upon hearing her explanation, a strange feeling of comfort had come over me – I felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my heart. I’m too relaxed to feel embarrassed, if that makes any sense. “I’ll leave the blushing and stuttering for another time. Where is she now, by the way?”

“The backlash from the procedure temporarily cut off the higher dimension from this plane. I am in the process of making enough flowers to help me re-establish the connection with Ean.”

“Oh, I was meaning to ask about him… we were supposed to get the First Emperor, weren’t we? What happened?”

“Ah, yes.” She grimaces. “Severe miscalculation on all our parts, to be honest, though Rei bears most of the blame for allowing Selkhet in. You see, she would have created his body – by creating a form that matches the mind, it would have drawn his consciousness in. Part of Kyrie’s difficulty in reaching you was because there was another entity that matched her form – it drew away some of her information. Now, during the procedure, this child wanders in – she is not just any child, but for all intents and purposes a genetic clone of myself as I was when I created her. She resembled me far, far more than the work-in-progress that was being moulded by Rei and Ean. Since our minds were still quite entangled at the moment, the laws we were working with couldn’t differentiate between me and him. The energy Rei was putting out decided to take the quickest way to form itself – and that meant pouring into Selkhet and dragging me along with it. That’s the briefest explanation that I can give you.”

“What’s happened to Selkhet, then? Is she gone?”

“No. I merged with her. Her memories are mine. By the way, thank you for treating her kindly. It’s rare to see a human act without prejudice.” Her smile is dazzling, and for once, genuine.

“Oh, you’re welcome.” I begin to get up from the bench. “Well, I suppose that’s it for now-“

“Wait.” She raises a hand, having something more to say. “How much do you know about the Devouring Emperor?”

“Not much. Do you mean you can tell me something about him?”

“I said we were on a journey through the stars, imbecile. Of course we came across his presence.”

“Sorry.” I apologize reflexively. She has a rather commanding presence despite her child-like stature.

“If I am not wrong, he used to be one of my kind. From what Ean told me, he seems to have attempted to devour a Master. We are not sure what happened immediately after, but the result is this thing that has eaten planets whole. I would not call him Gieloth, or immortal, or Master. He is something entirely other now.”

“That sounds quite scary, to be honest.”

“We came across mention of a Great Devourer. It has been used to refer to the Devouring Emperor, but the term appears to have been used before his appearance, and in the scattered fragments of Gieloth oral history that predate our contact with the Masters they talk about a monstrous, star-eating beast with a similar nature. Do not take this foe lightly. We have seen him envelop a jungle moon in darkness, leaving behind only fragments of rock. ”

“Thank you for the warning,” I nod. “We’ll be careful.”

“Do you really understand?” she asks, her piercing eyes aimed at me. “True, you may not face death because of your link to the Observer, but you are only human. Push yourself too hard, call upon too much of powers that are beyond your mortal frame, and you risk destroying your mind and body. There are fates worse than death. We may beat this Emperor, but be mindful of the personal price you are willing to pay to do it. You are more important than you think yourself to be. Someone would disagree – that man is all about self-sacrifice even if uncalled for – but you must start thinking about greater concerns than just your planet alone.”

“I’ll… think about this.” I say.

“Make sure you do,” she says, and kicks me out of her laboratory.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Ah, so getting rid of Twintails allowed us to regain contact with the real Kyrie. I'm still not quite clear what the whole whitespace was about. Our other self's "ghost" explanation isn't clear enough for me.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
When living things die, their information turns into corrupted data which can in turn corrupt other data. It works somewhat like prions. The more things are killed, the more of these are made. They tend to appear where the boundaries between dimensions are the weakest. Also you can't delete them from the system because... well, they're not in a format readable by the system anymore. You'd have to reformat everything.

As for the 'whitespace', some of them are actually sphere remnants... corpses, if you may. Others have... different origins. Something happened. There are no more spheres, or gods controlling them. This much Sekhenun has found out, but everything else will have to wait for a future infodump from someone more knowledgeable.

It's probably a good thing you guys lost the ability to venture back into that dimension. It'd have taken probably all of three updates before you unleashed a flood of killer white transdimensional zombies into the world.

And the nanomachine plague engineered by Senya uses a loophole by dumping the information in such a way that they're not considered dead by the Observer.

I don't know, it seemed so clear and logical to me during the fever. :lol:

As for Twintails, eventually the real Kyrie would have taken over much like Sekh just did, or you could have sped up the process via certain means. Her real identity is the girl that was Kyrie's replacement at the funeral. Hence the empty grave.

Baltika9

Arcane
And the Terrasphagos were, basically, data converters like the reprogrammed nanites? Take an object, convert it to raw data by "eating" it and bring it back to a sphere, which then transmits the data to the Observer/Great Idea?

Why the eccentric look?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Not all spheres have Terasphagos. Some star gods are... were... more cruel and capricious than others when it came to data collection. The collection method can vary even within spheres; note that the same sphere using Terasphagos also sought to collect data about Ean through torture, physical or otherwise. You could call them a safeguard of sorts, selected by the observer to keep itself on the straight and narrow. By taking random data samples they allow the observer to analyze, make comparisons, and correct for any irregularities in its observations. This is because no matter how complex or ineffable, all observers are biased. And so on and so forth.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I was making a general statement. All observers bear some amount of bias. Nothing to do with the Observer entity.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Since it appears to be questions and answers time:

Have Ean and Sek ever found out what actually happened to Zeus? The other Masters alluded to a "fate far worse than death".
What's the deal with the Sphere-like second moon? Is it a result of Senya letting the nanites loose?
Who was conducting experiments with the Dunamis and the Inane flowers? What was the purpose? The nanites were, I take it, the result?
So the Apostles were inspired by Sekhenun (how?) in order to bring her back to our reality, but in their bumbling stupidity reached for the Observer instead?
Were the Apostle-commited atrocities the only reason for religion being more or less banned on pre-Federation Earth, or was there something else going on? This was supposed to be an important plot point.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Zeus's fate was just mentioned. Too early for specifics.
You'll find out later. Maybe.
Has been mentioned in a previous update.
Fragments of knowledge from Selkhet and a lot of drugs.
Pretty much. It was important. Not anymore.

Kayerts

Arcane
I'll add:

Senya is sort of like a miniature sphere? Or rather, the spheres were also terminals of the observer?
What was the nature and extent of Ean and Sek's journey? What have they been doing for these past thousand years?
Cyber Jack's suicides / consciousness uploads worked off of the same principle as Senya's nanomachine plague?

Baltika9

Arcane
And, just to be clear: this Observer at the center of the Universe is the Great Idea that's at the center of reality, correct? Or does every reality have a personal Observer?

Edit: and since we are it's "terminal," can it, theoretically, "assume direct control?"

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Also, have Ean and Sek witnessed the deaths of the Spheres and their Gods? The Spheres were alive and well when Sek and Ean were nearing their ascension, judging by the presence of Naram-Master. Then our duo had their consciousness greatly enhanced. It stands to reason they should have been aware of the fate of the Spheres. If so, what were the surrounding circumstances?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You don't have any more info on the spheres, though Senya's existence is entirely different from the spheres. They don't have access to the records of fate. They do, however, seem to have been dead for a very long time. Millions of years, that's what Sekh says. Obviously they did not witness their destruction.
They were on a journey of knowledge and discovery, she said as much in the update. They've covered most of the galaxy and forayed into a couple of dimensions, searching for clues and hints to the nature of the universe.
Cyber Jack's work was an inspiration but the principles were different. End result was similar though.
Yes, you can assume the Observer is the Great Idea.
It cannot assume direct control any more than you can assume direct control of your digestive tract.

Baltika9

Arcane
And all these "ghosts" are kind of like Agent Smith clones, then?
And if that's the case, then there should have been an original prion/Smith that "infected" the system.

Yeah, Senya's character (or rather, his perception of creation) kind of reminds me of Neo, I won't be surprised if he starts to see the world in binary (not to mention that both started as asocial hackers), so I'm wondering who our Smith/the original virus is. In the beggining, I thought it was supposed to be Rei, but I'm not all that sure now.

This will be interesting. :bounce:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Wait did we ever find out who cyber jack was?

Also: Loredumps! Glorious loredumps!
It cannot assume direct control any more than you can assume direct control of your digestive tract.
ASSUMING DIRECT CONTINENCE
I WILL DIRECT THIS ONE PERSONALLY

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No, it's not like Agent Smith. More like zombies.

Cyber Jack was Anna acting under Shulgi's instructions. He was looking at ways of immortalizing humanity via digital means.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom