Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can only do that if Genua is again ours and you can only move 4 units at a time even if you don't suffer ship losses during the inevitable evacuation (and if the roman AI is stupid enough not to leave the ships guarding Genua. You'd need to conquer both cities or move thru Gaul again.
That roman army is just fighting a delaying action for preventing reinforcement (and being very effective at it i might say).
If you go through Gaul, you'd get double fucked by Scipio and the Gauls with only meager reinforcement (if Scipio doesn't kill Mago) and with even commanders. And you need to expel the roman army anyway (which might very well just return once you're chilling in northern italy if it's not destroyed).

edit: then again, most of it should be gone. They only have 4 ships right?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I vote reinforce Italy and use decisive influence card, we NEED to move the Iberian army into Italy. But that depends on if we can recapture Genua right now. If not then reinforce Africa and build some more fleets.

Hannibal should conquer Rhegium and then ferry himself another general for recruitment there if able, maybe by a card? If Romans dont get much of a recruitment pool in C. Gaul then there is no hurry to get there. And also I have a feeling that if you win a battle in C. Gaul those cities will revert to you again so no big loss there. If Hannibal can reach Genua in one march then do so and retake it, if not then its time for eastern Italy, Tarant perhaps.

I also feel that our general in Gaul is threatened right now. He only has 4 units and Scipio is near with what 12?

Gondolin

Arcane
You can only do that if Genua is again ours and you can only move 4 units at a time even if you don't suffer ship losses during the inevitable evacuation (and if the roman AI is stupid enough not to leave the ships guarding Genua. You'd need to conquer both cities or move thru Gaul again.
That roman army is just fighting a delaying action for preventing reinforcement (and being very effective at it i might say).
If you go through Gaul, you'd get double fucked by Scipio and the Gauls with only meager reinforcement (if Scipio doesn't kill Mago) and with even commanders. And you need to expel the roman army anyway (which might very well just return once you're chilling in northern italy if it's not destroyed).

edit: then again, most of it should be gone. They only have 4 ships right?

They have 3 ships in Spain, 1 in Rome, 3 off Tarentum and 1 in Tarentum. If we can fuck up the Spanish fleet and build another squadron for ourselves... that would be a massive stroke of luck. And bringing in four units from Spain is nothing to sneeze at.

And, yes, we need another general in Italy. Someone who can take cities while Hannibal deals with armies in the field.

DakaSha

Arcane
This is definitely the toughest choice so far in what to advise the Senate on.

a) Reinforcing italy, as Malakal says, is always good. more troops in italy means more chance of eventually taking Rome.
b) Upgrading in africa, as other say, is also good, mostly due to the chance of gaining a larger navy
c) Reinforcing Spain is even an option, as we could move mago there, from gaul, and help with the storming of emporion, while keeping him safe from Fabius (Scipio and Fabius changed places after last elections apparently. Scipio is now in Rome).

The fact that Fabius and Scipio changed places is unfortunate. Fabius is less likely to fight us in the open. Even if we outmaneuver him, and force a pitched battle, he can flee after 1 round of combat

I'm not sure if it is intentional by the AI, but that swapping decision is brilliant. Fabius is more defensive, and now Scipio is back in Rome, and can be more aggressive down there.

edit: Trash , maybe this is what happens when your generals disappear? It's when the senate assigns them to different posts, or releaves them

DakaSha

Arcane
Turn 5 – 214 BC – Planning "Pray"

Hannibal weighs the options and sends a message to Carthage, advising the senate to reinforce Italy.

They listen.

We are only given the funds to recruit a single unit, and decide on the single remaining naval squadron we have in reserve.

Our sieges are progressing very nicely it seems:

Due to the way sieges work with minor and major cities, both have also lost 2 whole units… As said we aren't as bad off as it may have seemed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This year’s plan encompasses the entirety of the region.

Blue
Our new squadron meets up with the rest of the navy outside if Emporion

Green (if it can be called green)
Hannibal storms the now weakened city of Rhegium. He will not be staying there this season, and will gain no recruits, but we may as well take it now while it is weakened and close. Pray we do it with few losses.

Hannibal then makes an incredible march through the entire theater of Italy, by using 2 extended march cards (maybe they weren’t so bad after all), and attacks Genua, so opening the way for Hasdrubal and his army and Spain, into Italy.
If Hannibals army is strong enough after this, he will proceed to try and force a battle on Fabius. As Fabius is a fucking coward piece of shit, he may just flee (if we even manage to force the battle), but that is just as well. It means we can converge all of our forces in northern Italy.

If Hannibal is declined combat, or wipes the floor with Fabius, he will attempt to take Melanium, so opening the way for Mago into Italy.

This is just a rough outline. Adjustments will be made according to situation. A plan only last until bla and all that.

Yellow
Hasdrubal will assume command of the Iberian forces and hopefully smash through Emporion. If on the off chance, Hannibal loses his fight with Fabius, Hasdrubal may be able to clean up in the aftermath.

If, for some reason, Hannibal doesn’t manage to open a door for Mago, Hasdrubal will attempt to do so. Brotherly love and all that.

Pink
If above all goes to plan, Mago will enter Italy and hopefully be of some use in the future. If he manages to do jack shit, other than have a shitty bread spread named after him, he may even get a different color than faggot pink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the side:
If Fabius manages to decline combat, I’m not sure how this will all work out. That would mean he is still on the field and, to my knowledge, can intercept Hasdrubal after his battle in emporium. Since Fabius’s army will likely be in much better condition in that case, he may effectively block Hasdrubal from entering. When and if all this occurs, I’m just going to use my discretion. We could always play the battle anyways, weaken Fabius, flee on second round, and mop the floor with him later if given the chance.

Also, it makes sense to leave one of the two generals (in this case Himilco) in Spain so as to further recruit from there. I'm not 100 sure how this works though, since he is is part of Hasdrubals force, and it may be we have to bring him along. I don't think so though. I think I can leave him in Spain. Hope so anyways.

Wish Hannbro luck, bros. I think this may be a decisive turn. :salute:

edit: Actually it may be possible to move the Spanish army directly into Genua, so bypassing Fabius intercept chance. Either way the plan plays out pretty much the same, just more to our advantage

KoolNoodles

Arcane
So if all goes well, Hannibro will reunite with his other bros, while living the good life. Good luck.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes those plans are perfectly in line with what I suggested, I support them.

I would also move Mago down to C. Gaul and let him recruit there. How many generals do we even have in total? We should have one in Iberia, one in C. Gaul and two on the move against Rome.

DakaSha

Arcane
Turn 5 – 214 BC – Action 1
“The Senator of Shit”

The city now weakened, Hannibal gives the order to attack and Rhegium is taken at the cost of one Italian Inf. He then sets out on a very very long march with his army towards northern Italy.

The march is incredibly arduous , however the rebuilt Noble estates situated along the way offer not only the provisions, but also the moral stimulant that the mean to press on. Killing and raping a bunch of rich bitches does that.

Played 2x:

At last Genua is in site, and Hannibal orders the storming of the city after a couple days rest.

Hannibals men storm the city but Genuan militia, tired of all this bullshit back and forth business fight like wild beasts. The Roman infantry stationed here also does its part. One Gallic Inf is destroyed and one Italian Inf runs away screaming

Combat round 1
Romans: 1, 1
Carthage: 0, 0

However, Hannibals forces, who have always liked the party animal Hasdrubal much more, and wish to be reunited with him, push on and destroy the Garrison. Sadly, another Gallic Inf gives their lives.

Combat round 2
Romans: 1, 0
Carthage: 3, 1
Carthage Victory

And with that, Hannibal as taken the strategically important city of Genua. Hopefully for the last fucking time.

Now to deal with the coward Fabius.. Hannibal knows he is the better general. Duh. However, as the better general he also knows that having a larger force is extremely important. While his men whoop and drink, to celebrate the victories hereto and possibly to forget the battle to come, Hannibal sends a message to Carthage…

There is a Senator in Carthage who has an outstanding dept to Hannibal. I’d tell you the story but it involves a lot of childish shit, so forget about it. All you need to know is that this Senator owes Hannibal a favor and that Hannibal has now called on this favor, asking to have the Senator use his private merchant fleet to ferry some troops from Gaul into Genua. The senator sends a message to Hannibal saying: ‘Alright. But don’t ask for anything else you piece of fucking shit’. And within a few weeks, the requested units arrive with a message from Mago: ‘Hows that hot bitch Raddisshu doing? Bro, I totally have this awesome new breadspread named after me, it’s made with egg and vini…’. Hannibal stops reading, crumples up the message, tosses it, and makes a note to poison Mago after all of this is over. Preferably with his own shitty condiment.

Played:

However… The Romans seem to have gotten wind of our covert reinforcement plans, and have devised a plan to counteract it. The senator whom Hannibal asked for help is a known merchant in the Mediterranean. It is for this reason that he had the ships necessary to carry Hannibals requested units in the first place. However, he is also a known holder of Italian slaves, and much of his success is derived from the exploitation of Italian prisoners of war and any families he can kidnap.

Historical accuracy can suck my dick btw

Roman spies within the walls of Genua plant a seed within the Italian ranks of Hannibals army and the suspicion is confirmed with the sighting of Magos troops disembarking from Ships marked with the emblem of the slave holding Senator.

All three of Hannibals Italian units leave. So basically Hannibal feels owned

:rage:

Our troops

Fabius' troops

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well fuck. I wish I knew if units can be moved directly to Genua from Spain. Even so we wouldn't be able to attack Fabius then. If we want to attack him this turn its now or never.

And you know what really pisses me off? I made a huuuuuge mistake with that option card usuage (to ferry extra troops in). Not because of wasting the option or because of what the Romans pulled afterwards (I couldn't know that), but becaus eof the simple fact that we wanted to fight Fabius. I'm still not used to the Ai having personality. If I had left some troops in Genua (or just attacked with the ten), he may have not tried to decline battle. And since we have the better general we had an advantage anyways. I didn't realize this until now confronted with being in the disadvantage, force wise.

:(

Anyways. I'll probably attack Fabius now regardless. Thoughts? Apart form denouncing me as a horrible failure? (fuck you, it takes getting used to)

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well that sucks but you couldnt have known. Any trick cards up the sleeve? You got 4 commands cant you use the second to move the army in Iberia, take the passage then move to Italy, combine the troops, use 3 command on Hannibal again?

DakaSha

Arcane
Well that sucks but you couldnt have known. Any trick cards up the sleeve? You got 4 commands cant you use the second to move the army in Iberia, take the passage then move to Italy, combine the troops, use 3 command on Hannibal again?

Nope. You can only move a General once per turn. Also you cant move troops that have already been moved by another general. So its now or never. Keep in mind that this DOES enhance our chance of getting fight at all. (In fact, I'm starting to think a large part of the calculation in the later parts of the game may be guessing how many troops you can take into battle without scaring off the enemy)

edit: and we are completely card-less now lol

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I dont like those odds but as we have taken Genua we can reinforce C. Gaul with Iberian troops if we lose. Go for it.

My main gripe is that while we have a lot of attack power our defence stat on troops sucks and there is no units that can absorb losses. Our army is the perfect glass cannon, lets hope we can score more hits due to better general.

DakaSha

Arcane
Yeah I also say go for it and hope the RNG makes up for the shitty losses.

On a side note, the AI played that card at the perfect time. I'm impressed

oscar

Arcane
After winning the game I can confidently warn that there's going to be a lot more back and forth assaults across Cisalpine Gaul.

DakaSha

Arcane
After winning the game I can confidently warn that there's going to be a lot more back and forth assaults across Cisalpine Gaul.

Did you play on hard, and if yes, does our situation look salvageable? I only played to turn 10 or so in my first game

oscar

Arcane
Yup on hard. Was my second game after I messed up my first.

The AI is annoyingly reluctant to engage you in battle meaning most of your mid and late game fights are going to be sieges and camp attacks, making Hannibal a lot less useful (I only got to use the Punic Tricks 2-3 times in the whole game).

In both games Syracuse flipped to me quite early (in my second game it flipped to me, than to Rome, than back to me). This is nice as it saps Italy.

Honestly I think you're going to have to abandon Etruria, and camp Hannibal in Cisalpine Gaul. Fabius will probably try move away which will give you a chance to face him on the field. You don't have any Punic tricks and are slightly outnumbered but the odds are still somewhat in your favour due to Hannibal's far higher skill. This is still fairly risky.

It is a rough position though. Worst come to worst you may have to pull Hannibal back to Spain and slowly try and claw your way back.

DakaSha

Arcane
Alright, I'm just going to continue with the plan then. Btw did you win by points or by taking rome? And if by points what kind of victory?

oscar

Arcane
The game ended with Rome due to surrender within a year funnily enough. I still won a points victory though.

The AI ended up being very cautious however and despite having a slight to moderate numerical advantage over me throughout the long siege they declined to sally. The card that allows you to immediately transfer 2 units to Hannibal from anywhere is extremely useful.

Don't be disheartened however if you can't pull this off. Could be fun seeing you fight a losing battle trying to claw for a white peace or somesuch (I don't know how many possible endings the game has).

DakaSha

Arcane
The game ended with Rome due to surrender within a year funnily enough. I still won a points victory though.

The AI ended up being very cautious however and despite having a slight to moderate numerical advantage over me throughout the long siege they declined to sally. The card that allows you to immediately transfer 2 units to Hannibal from anywhere is extremely useful.

Don't be disheartened however if you can't pull this off. Could be fun seeing you fight a losing battle trying to claw for a white peace or somesuch (I don't know how many possible endings the game has).

Pretty sure it just has 4 endings that are all point based. Nothing special. I'll finish the Lp in any case. After the LP i def need to try to just play the game though. Writing the Lp is fun, but i feel like its draining me more than the actual game itself lol

DakaSha

Arcane
We're still okay. Attack Fabius, storm Emporion and be sure to try and sink that Roman fleet. Can it be captured intact in port?

I seriously doubt it can be captured. I'm not sure about what happens if the city is taken while they are in port

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom