Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War

DakaSha

Arcane
Turn 3 – 216 BC – Action 2 - "Hannibro on a roll"

The generals “decide” to combine their fleets and leave them stationed off the coast of Africa. The Romans may have more ships in total, but a show of force is necessary if we are to keep them away.

Meanwhile, in Northern Italy, Hannibal awakes and recalls the dream he had that night. He dreamt that he and Marcellus met on the battlefield, one on one, and that he bested Marcellus in man to man combat. He told Radisshu of his dream, who thought it an omen.

It is settled. Hannibal will use the Green Variant of his second plan. He will attempt to defeat Marcellus with his current army, link up with his men in Placentia, then storm Ariminum and advance into Italy proper. “YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAH BOI”, he exclaims. Radisshu gives him a look. Hannibal looks away.

Not long after setting foot out of Genua, Marcellus is reported to be heading directly towards them. Apparently Marcellus is itching for a fight. So be it. Hannibal prepares his troops for battle

I could try to evade the battle and set up camp at this point , Marcellus would probably not attack the camp then, and my turn would be over. It’s interesting to note that if I had first gone to Placentia and gathered troops, Marcellus may have not intercepted us due to us having the larger army and we would have had to roll to force a battle. If we had failed then HE would be the one with camp defense. So this was most likely the better course to take

The battle lines are drawn for the second battle of Cisalpine Gaul.

The Romans have a more defense oriented and disciplined army but we carry raw power. Our only liabilities are our barbarian Gallic troops.

They are very strong but are difficult to rally should they rout. As this is a balanced and important battle, Hannibal decides to inspire his troops. He rides up and down the line of men before him and gives them a little speech about what bros the Gauls are and how his dream was an omen and a bunch of other shit that makes weak minded men think god is on their side.

Hannibals companion cavalry, who has been by his side for the past 2 years is particularly inspired by this demonstration of leadership.

I picked them for the double AF thing

The battle begins and our Gallic infantry smashes through the enemy’s lines just as our cavalry maneuvers behind them, creating an anvil between which the enemy’s men are crushed. Nevertheless, we lose some men to the blade and to fear. 1 Gallic Inf was lost and 1 Gallic and 1 African Inf were routed.

Round 1 results:
Romans - 1 hit, 2 routes
Carthage - 2 hits, 4 routes

Before the next clash can happen, our routed infantry has already come back to their senses, and joined their comrades on the front line. They utterly destroy the remainder of Marcellus’ army

Round 2 results:
Romans: zip
Carthage: 6 hits, 1 rout

Hannibals dream became a reality. In the midst of battle he spotted Marcellus and galloped towards him. Marcellus was brave but no match for Hannibro. He was slain after a rather pathetic attempt at fighting for his life.

As an unexpected side effect, the rest of C Gaul has decided to side with us. Apparently they were quite impressed by Hannibals words and deeds in the battlefield

Had no idea this would happen

We draw our option

Everything worked out better than expected. Hannibal decides to have a night of sex, drugs and whatever-kind-of-music-people-listened-to-back-then, on the streets of Placentia.

Situation

Now the question remains as to how we should invade Italy proper. The original plan called for the invasion of Umbria Samnium, and I actually like that province more (2 possible recruits. One for each major city held), however Etruria currently has the larger recruitment pool. It also has the Villa we can destroy, and Hannibal can handle the Romans for now. Best to have them let up on the other theaters. Ertruria only offers one recruit for Pisa but I think that is offset by the larger pool.

I’m most likely gonna go for Etruria, but I want to update now to show our MASSIVE SUCCESS ON THE BATTLEFIELD

edit: Christ, we could probably besiege Roma at this point. Not take it, but def siege. It would require an extended march but it may be possible.

edit again: on second thought, the Romans do have some scattered forces in italy.. and if they relieve the siege we'd prob get blasted with the combined strength. Still. Things look pretty good right now. Almost too good to be honest. We got really lucky in the Romans elections. However, the game is programmed specifically to 'allow Hannibal to enjoy his historical success early in the war' so maybe things will ramp up.

Gondolin

Arcane
Compass... no? But some chest-high walls strategically placed on the battlefield would do wonders for our troops.

We need a second army to cover Eastern Italy. Fuck.

DakaSha

Arcane
Compass... no? But some chest-high walls strategically placed on the battlefield would do wonders for our troops.
We need a second army to cover Eastern Italy. Fuck.

If I ever get the chance I want to move the Carthaginian generals over some day. In my first game they were all in Italy within the first 5 turns. That game didn't go so well though (although I had better control of the ocean)

DakaSha

Arcane
Turn 3 – 216 BC – Action 3 - "More Rolling"

After a couple of nights of wild partying, Hannibal decides the show must go on. He has his eyes on Etruria now, and specifically on Pisa, as it offers the possibility of recruitment.

Before attacking Pisa, however, Hannibal goes to pay some Roman Nobles a visit.

:troll:

After a bit of looting, and pillaging, Hannibal decides to storm Pisa which falls rather easily. One Gallic Inf and one African Inf are lost, however.

Next up in Hannibals line of military success is Perusia, which falls at the cost of one Gallic Inf. Perusia doesn’t offer any recruits, but will force any bothersome Romans that may want to flank Hannibal to at least fight for the privilege. Also, Hannibal just likes killing people.

Regardless, enough is enough and Hannibal decides to make camp between the rubble of the nobles estate, barring it from being rebuilt. If they want their collection of designer togas back, they will have to fight for them.

Word of Hannibals strategic success are spreading and a lot of people are thinking they better side with him before he decides to rape their children

And that concludes our third campaign season

DakaSha

Arcane
Is it possible to make a poll, and edit it later to something different?

DakaSha

Arcane
Turn 3 – 216 BC – Romans - "Fuck the Roman Navy"

Drawn Card

Recruitment

Hasdrubal in Spain: 2 Spanish Inf
Mago in Gaul: 1 Gallic Inf (Didn’t have any cav to offer)
Pisa: Our first Italian units, 1 Italian Inf & 1 Italian Cav

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Romans are not happy. Hannibal has caused too much destruction in too little time. Something must be done.
Gracchus gathers his men and storms Emporion, despite crazy odds. Well he s known to be a bit crazy… Or not. Apparently Gracchuss has been working on a plan to take the city and it shows .

The city, and the Cavalry and African infantry within, fall to Gracchus at no cost. Spain is no longer completely in our hands

The Roman command shifts to Scipio who spent many sleepless nights, trying to gather funds to raise some much needed units for the defense of Italy

It pays off. 2 new Roman Inf are raised in the capital.

In a strange move, Scipio decides to take the army stationed in Rome, and re-position them in Corfinium.. What is he up to?

Perhaps he wants to be in a more reactive position? Who knows.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

News from waters

The Romans, after having managed to beat a force twice their size earlier in the year, have decided they will try to push their luck

[]They move their five squadrons stationed in the Ionian into our coastal waters, and we are given the chance to intercept. It is a perfectly fair battle, with both sides at equal strength, but it is not a battle we wish to fight. The memory of the fiasco 6 months ago still lingers..
Yet… We must fight. If we do not intercept the Romans now, []they may reinforce this fleet with ships from the bay of Tarentum, and force the battle on us with superior numbers. We have no other choice.

We, grudgingly, engage the enemy fleet..

Round 1:
Neither side lands a hit or a rout

Just as last time, not much happens during the outset of the battle.. are the Romans planning on using the same tactics as before? Luring us into a sense of false security, just to strike through the middle of our fleet?

Round2:
Romans: 1 hit, 0 Routs
Carthage: 0 hits, 3 routs
Rome Flees

Blasted Romans! They do try the same maneuver but out admiral is ready this time. The Romans take one of our squadrons out, but when they realize we are prepared they flee back to the Ionian! Cowards.

I’m fairly impressed at that. They gambled on a 5v5, and took off the second the battle turned against them, it was essentially a ‘daring raid’ that worked out. They do have the resources to rebuild what they lose.. we don't

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And with that the Roman Campaign season ends.

Roman Recruiting

Ancona: 1 Latin Cav
Asculum: 1 Latin Inf
Rome: 1 roman Cav, 1 Roman Inf, 1 Latin Inf
Tarentum: 1 Latin Inf, 1 Squadron (…)
Gracchus in Spain: 1 Spanish Cav

Roman Elections

Hmm. Lots of familiar faces, including Fabius.

Also:

Oh well. They aren't needed now anyways.

The year has ended:

Situation

The situation seems to boil down to: We are (currently) winning in Italy. But getting our face stomped in the water.

oscar

Arcane
Africa. This Roman luck at sea can't hold up forever.

If we've used up ship construction then reinforce Spain. We must hold New Carthage and claw back Spain.

DakaSha

Arcane
Africa. This Roman luck at sea can't hold up forever.

If we've used up ship construction then reinforce Spain. We must hold New Carthage and claw back Spain.

I haven't got it all thought out yet but I am leaning towards reinforce Spain. We currently have an unblocked water route to spain (and Italy and Corsica for that matter) and could use this open window to ferry some forces over. We can still build units when we select options besides Africa, it just tends to be less (one or maybe two. Last time we only had 1 ship anyways although im not sure what governs an increase)

I'm not yet saying we should do it, but taking Corsica Sardinia would be interesting as well.

DakaSha

Arcane
Bruttium is also a nice target, ultimatly

It gives 2 units, and is very defensible (apart from water trans). It is also opposite to hannibal, meaning we could sandwich in rome. It even gives 3 units if Hannibal is there

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So you went for Latium? I cant help but feel it was a mistake. The main Roman source of troops in that province is Rome itself, which currently is out of range for us. However Umbria gives them more troops from less defensible cities we could capture and deny the Romans those troops. It may bite us in the ass in the long term.

Therefore I advise an offensive move of Hannibal into Umbria with the goal of capturing Ancona and Asculum. Our recruitment total is 5, Romans is 7 with those two cities down we will have the advantage here.

As for our recommendation to the senate make it to build more troops in Africa and at the same time risk ferrying 4 units from Africa to Italy. We dont risk much by stripping Africa as currently there is no risk of serious invasion and at the same time with those extra forces Hannibal can keep up the good work in Italy. With current fleet placement its unlikely that our inferior fleet will be intercepted and even if thats a risk we can take.

As before I think that time works against us and we have to inflict more decisive victories in the field and siege in Italy.

DakaSha

Arcane
So you went for Latium? I cant help but feel it was a mistake. The main Roman source of troops in that province is Rome itself, which currently is out of range for us. However Umbria gives them more troops from less defensible cities we could capture and deny the Romans those troops. It may bite us in the ass in the long term.

Therefore I advise an offensive move of Hannibal into Umbria with the goal of capturing Ancona and Asculum. Our recruitment total is 5, Romans is 7 with those two cities down we will have the advantage here.

As for our recommendation to the senate make it to build more troops in Africa and at the same time risk ferrying 4 units from Africa to Italy. We dont risk much by stripping Africa as currently there is no risk of serious invasion and at the same time with those extra forces Hannibal can keep up the good work in Italy. With current fleet placement its unlikely that our inferior fleet will be intercepted and even if thats a risk we can take.

As before I think that time works against us and we have to inflict more decisive victories in the field and siege in Italy.

I went for Etruria, which has a larger recruitment pool than Umbria. Rome is not part of Etruria.
I also cant ferry any units to Italy unless I AM AUTHORIZED TO. You fags all have such a problem with this mechanic lol. What would EVER be the point of selecting reinforce Italy, If I could just reinforce Italy regardless?
Also the transports always take the most direct route and are in no danger of being intercepted as enemy fleets only intercept in the sea province they are in.

edit: nvm. Not worth even getting into. just gonna derail shit, carry on

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Senator Biggus Dikkus is my no means a pretentious dick, such implications are insulting!

I am reading your posts but I am also watching the map and was convinced that its one province with Rome. But I also am reading your posts about recruitment and cant help but notice more troops coming from Umbria than from Etruria, so while perhaps the recruitment pool is bigger in Etruria at the current time more troops could be denied from Umbria - from page 3:

Roman recruitment

Ancona: 1 Latin Inf - Umbrian city
Asculum: 1 Latin Cav - Umbrian city
Rhegium: 2 Latin Inf - south Italy
Rome: 1 Latin Cav, 2 Latin inf, 1 Roman Inf - out of reach
Tarentum: 1 Latin Inf, 1 Squadron - southern Italy
Livius: 1 Spanish Inf (They can also get Spanish inf when in Spain) - Spain

Unless recruitment pool is shared by several provinces a thing I could not have known.

As to advising the senate I indeed dont really know what each option does, despite reading your posts. After all you moved into Etruria from C. Gaul without reinforcing Italy in options, unless its only Hannibal that is exempt from the limitations of this mechanic.

DakaSha

Arcane
Senator Biggus Dikkus is my no means a pretentious dick, such implications are insulting!

I am reading your posts but I am also watching the map and was convinced that its one province with Rome. But I also am reading your posts about recruitment and cant help but notice more troops coming from Umbria than from Etruria, so while perhaps the recruitment pool is bigger in Etruria at the current time more troops could be denied from Umbria - from page 3:

Roman recruitment

Unless recruitment pool is shared by several provinces a thing I could not have known.

As to advising the senate I indeed dont really know what each option does, despite reading your posts. After all you moved into Etruria from C. Gaul without reinforcing Italy in options, unless its only Hannibal that is exempt from the limitations of this mechanic.

Well I had just edited, no worries. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, This is the codex.
In any case, I do see that they are getting more recruits from there, and there is def merit to what you are saying (which is why it was my first choice). From my understaning, Ertruria is just more important long term (due to the pool). I'm not 100% though

DakaSha

Arcane

I stated in a prior post (actually made a point of it, because it is confusing) that C Gaul is part of the theater of Italy ;)
But yes. It's not clear without being told

The gist of it is this: You can move units to the theater you select and no others. You can always move units to africa, and selecting to upgrade africa gives a chance for more units

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The AI is basically growing stronger all the time while you simply cannot deal with extended losses. Even losing units to the general wear and tear of campaigning will fuck you over eventually. Losing a single naval battle is going to hurt in the long run. Althought the game's RNG can do funky things. Once got a storm that wiped out a good portion of the Roman navy and gave me a good second breath and once lost a campaign because a storm drove my navy into port at a crucial moment.

And that 'reinforce theater x' mechanic is both a bitch to play with and an awesome way to make shit interesting. Anyway, congrats here. You're doing way better than I've been able to. Reinforce Italy like crazy and go for the throat.

DakaSha

Arcane
Roman recruitment

The reason for this is that they had no general in Ertruria to recruit. That is why the AI shuffles the generals around all the time. So although they weren't getting units from there, they had the potential to (albeit at only 1 per turn)
Ugh three posts. I need to post slower

DakaSha

Arcane
And that 'reinforce theater x' mechanic is both a bitch to play with and an awesome way to make shit interesting.

Yeah I get the feeling that some don't like it, but it may be one of my most fav parts of the game design, and also the reason why I decided to play on Hard right away

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok now I understand and vote reinforce Italy. You cant win a long war but at the moment you cant lose with Hannibal so pressing the current advantage is a must. Take all possible battles in Italy, take as many cities as possible.

DakaSha

Arcane
I am looking forward to starting another LP after this one, in which codexers assume the roles of different crathagian generals and are in complete control over that general (With me playing Hannibal because a) I'm doign all the work, b) no arguments about who gets him and c) it would be sort of like assuming the role of gamemaster).

Players could do as they wish or (hopefully) work together. Could be cool, if a bit LARP heavy

Of course that would require that enough peopel are interested to play the game out, and that interest still exists after this LP, but im throwing it our there

Gondolin

Arcane
Reinforce Italy. Ancona and Asculum have become a problem. At 7 units a piece, they're too nasty to storm. And the 6 units they can put in the field can take over C. Gaul.

Btw, can you tell the reinforcements where to land in Italy?

DakaSha

Arcane
Reinforce Italy. Ancona and Asculum have become a problem. At 7 units a piece, they're too nasty to storm. And the 6 units they can put in the field can take over C. Gaul.

Btw, can you tell the reinforcements where to land in Italy?

I agree with both you and Malalkal now.
And yes. You transport them manually.

edit: I've already started the next planning phase and I'm am constantly amazed at the options you have despite such simple mechanics. Time to draw up a bunch of shitty plans again

DakaSha

Arcane
Frankly, the Romans can gather a 15-strong army in Corfinium. That's bad.

How many units does "reinforce" mean?

Like I said before, Reinforce does not mean 'magically create units'. It means you may move units into the theater. So the answer to your question is 'none'
However, we have 5 units in Africa that can be used to reinforce whatever the senate deems appropriate.

I've long passed that decision though, and am just now wrapping up the next update.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom