Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Video Game Music Thread

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Speaking of Alice, one track from American McGee's Alice has stuck with me through the years:

More Nine Inch Nails fun to be had with this soundtrack.

One soundtrack that at least keeps players amused is the soundtrack to The Bard's Tale. While lacking in the "good tune" department, it more than makes up for it with lyrics and humour.

Having Cary Ewles voicing the Bard and the legendary Tony Jay as the narrator makes the voice acting in this game top-notch.

More chiptunes with Ben Daglish's finest hour:

The Amstrad CPC version is cleaner, but the C-64 version is the original. Death Wish 3 was one of the goriest and violent games of the 80s... if not THE goriest and most violent game of that era.

Finally a "retro" track from a recent freeware game that I loved playing a few years ago:

It's been released on the consoles since then, but the PC version has had its source code released, resulting in many interesting mods.

dunno lah

Arcane
This might have been posted here already, but what the hell, i'ma do it anyway.

Hope Jesper finds his incline back coz his AC stuff can't touch this shit...

Eddard Stark

Educated
Tons of great music guys. Don't want to repeat stuff so I'll throw in a few of my favourite pieces that I didn't find in this thread.

First off, a rare piece that was written for the first Witcher and though it didn't get into the actual game (the devs published it on their website prior to the release), the credits theme was based on this. Fantastic piece.

And the aforementioned Credits theme performed by a polish rock band Believe. Best credits theme out there imo. Such a pity they went with the overthetop epic and bland orchestra stuff direction in the second game. There was a link to this one some pages ago but nevertheless.

A little gem from Half-Life 2 by Keily Bailey.

Another short but majestic piece. Think what you want about Mass Effect, but the soundtrack in the first one was ace. It went derp in the sequel and third part, but ME1 was lovely in the music department.

Arkenstone did a great job on Emperor:Battle for Dune. As much as I love Frank Klepacki, Harkonnen > Atreides in this case.

Eddard Stark

Educated
And a couple more.

Really liked the recent Black Mesa and NS2 soundtracks.

Paradise Cracked and Cops 2170 / Power of Law had a memorable electronic score.

No idea who composes for Neocore, but some of the music in their games is quite good.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I've been listening to the Age of Wonders soundtrack quite a bit recently as I work. Going to leave it as a link so the topic doesn't take even longer to load -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-7rPnZhXo

A particular favorite is Content Workforce at 16:47.

I've had some thoughts on it and older game music recently. The melodies are very strong and memorable but also distinctly video gamey. Age of Wonders used sample-based mod tracking. All of the sounds are fairly low quality Amiga samples. It uses both relatively realistic-sounding samples, like strings, guitars and flutes, but also weird synth samples as well, often at the same time. Because all the samples are low quality, the realistic instruments like the strings don't sound out of place when the synth instruments are playing, which would not have been the case if the game had used higher quality instruments. There are also different expectations with high quality, realistic-sounding instruments. I think older video game music is ultimately pop music, which is something that's much more difficult to make with orchestral instruments exclusively. The closest non-video game analogue I can think of to the Age of Wonders soundtrack is Enya, which as far as I'm aware is entirely synth-based.

So I guess what I've drawn from listening to the Age of Wonders soundtrack over and over is that it's easiest to make video game music (catchy pop-style melodies) with instruments that aren't trying to sound real. Old chips, synthesizers, low quality samples. This is because there are expectations (and I guess physical limitations? I don't know) for what can be done with real instruments. Maybe certain sounds are more appropriate for certain kinds of melodies.

Maybe I'm incorrect! I've also been listening to the King of Dragon Pass soundtrack a lot too, which contradicts a lot of what I'm saying. Maybe not though, I don't know. King of Dragon Pass is trying to create a natural, earthy folk music and Age of Wonders is this mid-late 90s new age derivative that couldn't really work outside of a video game.

Anyway, I like them!!!!! They're good soundtracks to listen to while working!

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

The Amstrad CPC version is used as the base for several remixes of the tune, and it doesn't have as much of the static as the GameBoy version. I'll admit that it doesn't really fit Robocop in any sensible way, but it's still a nice little tune.

I love this song. A year or so ago I remade it and used it in an unbelievably stupid video -

The remix is shit because I made it in about 2 hours specifically for the video, which I thought nobody would watch. I guess rapper Lil B heard it and decided to use it.

Pretty crazy!

oscar

Arcane
Yeah the King of Dragon Pass soundtrack is awesome. Love that horn and pipes tune when you start up the game.

Suchy

Arcane

post-15416-Necromancer-mouse-summoning-th-uX3l.gif

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Too bad that Vigilante 8 has so inconsistent OST, and tries to grasp many styles. The funky main theme is always stuck in my memory. Driver is way better in this department, like it's pulled straight from 70's movie. But like Interstate 76, it works better in-game immersing player.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Favorite part of NV soundtrack, it made finishing the game much more satisfying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom