Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
C man, C! Help out our dad, plus help out ourselves down the line.

And we will definitely be having chances to build connections with the Autonomous fleet at the base, not to mention our mother! Plus, why disobey Daddy? He pulled our asses out of the frying pan earlier. Let him conduct his cold, clinical war. That's our style too, maybe we can learn something or persuade him to take us on. I doubt a clinical tactician like him will be impressed by our stowing away and being hot blooded and wanting to enter battle. Besides, we can also build our own mecha prototype or production facilities here within the base...

Perhaps we can privately refer to it as the Star Forge?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A takes it.

Framejack

As it turns out, the authorities did not take any extra precautions at all. Then again, I could not fault them. Londinium is one of the largest and oldest colonies that the Federation has - and certainly the most prosperous. By now it consisted of more than six O'Neill cylinders bound together, each housing more than a million people. Traffic between the cylinders was conducted via shuttle, and each day more than a hundred thousand shuttles made a dozen trips each, ferrying people and goods from cylinder to cylinder. To clamp down on security would be to create massive inconvenience for a very minor threat that the Federation is keen to dismiss. Even the events down on Earth that I had put in motion warranted no more than a perfunctory five minutes on the Federation's official news channels, let alone some toothless pirates with more bark than bite. They just did not believe anyone would strike at the Federation.

Especially not when high-ranking officials of the Star League were present.

Federation higher-ups thought that anyone that would gatecrash an event attended by powerful, god-like beings would be too insane for their plan to get off the ground in the first place.

Seeing the immortals there, I have to agree. Unlike President Julia, greeting them obsequiously with half a dozen bodyguards watching her back on the podium, the immortals carried themselves with an air of invincibility. The two of them - one male, one female - walked around with impunity, caring not a whit for security. Why bother when you know that nothing on this puny space station poses a threat to you?

I straighten my maintenance cap and head back into the hangar. It wasn't hard. A quick bit of hacking and one trussed up mechanic was all I needed to slip into the crew. They were too busy with last minute demands to pay attention to another newbie wrench-monkey loitering about the place. If the White Fang did what they were supposed to do, escaping in the chaos unnoticed would be easy. The Federation would probably hang what I did on their heads. If they didn't... well, I'd just have to create the illusion that they did, and then escape in the chaos. The Federation would notice if I didn't, and the White Fang are handy scapegoats. Besides, I've hardly had the most cordial of relationships with them, and having the Feds put pressure on them would make it easier for me to find them should they not show up today.

"Master, I'm afraid that we won't be able to gain access to the Anhur Mk II units from here. We do not have the clearance." says Yua.

"Can we hack it?"

”Not without setting off an alert."

”Well, we don't need to do anything just yet. Just keep an eye on the security feed of the testing grounds."

Anyway, the Anhur frames are not my main target here - Erika is. I just need to stay close to it so that when - if - they come, I'm in a perfect position to decide what to do.

"Newbie, what are you doing hanging around that box?" shouts a supervisor.

I move away from the nondescript metal box, giving him an embarrassed grin. "Sorry, sir! Personal stuff!"

"Don't mess with military stuff. Get to work now, kid!"

I give him a nod and busy myself by pretending to check the armour of the new Mark II units. As per standard protocol, they had built three prototypes, though I have no idea whether these are customized or left in a default configuration. They looked derivative of the old Anhur, except that they were painted in pure white, with red, blue and green secondary colours respectively marking each of the units. Of course, there were more differences other than the coat of paint - these Mark II units were taller and bulkier than their predecessor, with more noticeable verniers hidden under the armour. Well, more verniers compared to the general configuration anyway, not the particular high-mobility model that I had piloted. Some of the sweeps and curves of the frames remind me of the Vizala line of the Indus, particularly the way the extra propellant tanks were fitted along the skirt armour. That probably isn't surprising, considering that the ISC had absorbed most of their researchers after the war.

I hear the crowd begin to roar. The Federation has turned this test into an exhibition for the benefit of their citizens as well as their immortal guests. I have heard that the introduction of CF tactics had been an equalizer in some way against the Empire's military, and the Star League were keen to explore this concept further. It looks like the pilots were taking the stage to The announcer begins to introduce the first pilot - shocking no one, I hear Naim's name being called out, along with a list of accomplishments that include some exploits I'm pretty sure I did. The second was a person I had not met before, but hardly a surprise. Lieutenant Colonel Vic Camna. I have heard of him once, during the war; if I recall correctly he had a reputation for being an excellent pilot. The third was a relative unknown, Captain Marko Gaury.

Looking around, I slink behind some crates. If the White Fang wants to strike, this is their last chance to do so before the pilots enter their frames. After that, it would be considerably more difficult to pull off a hijacking.

They do not disappoint me. Two men burst into the hangar and cut down the soldiers on guard, almost faster than the human eye can follow. I had wondered how they would disguise their distinctive silver hair, but it looks like hair dye was sufficient to do the job. The authorities really did not take any precautions at all.

The other mechanics do not need any further prompting to begin fleeing, running away from the sword-wielding madmen as fast as they can. On my part, I cower behind the crates as the two Dunamis mercenaries head towards the Mark II frames. One of them gives me a dismissive, disgusted look before clambering into the cockpit. After a few minutes, the CFs come to life, their binocular sensors glowing a brilliant green. The floor rumbles and shakes as the gigantic machines begin moving, taking heavy, ponderous steps towards the exit. I can hear the sounds of battle coming from the outside.

"Yua, give me a status update."

"A big fight's just broken out. I count more than sixty soldiers rushing into the field. The ten Shukra frames that were supposed to be participating in the exhibition match are on the move. There appear to be twelve Dunamis members. Most of them are attempting to fight the two immortals."

"Attempting?"

"And failing, Master. The two Anhur frames are joining the fray to keep the Shukras at bay. It seems that the test pilots are in some of those Shukra frames."

"What are the chances of the White Fang escaping?"

"Fairly good, Master, as long as they blow a hole in the colony wall."

"Do you see Erika anywhere?"

"I... wait... ah yes! I see her! She's fighting on foot!"

"And where is President Julia?" I ask quietly.

"She's still on the stage. She looks furious."

The President must be feeling quite secure with the presence of the immortals. Still, the White Fang showing up must have humiliated her plenty, so in that I had to applaud them. As we are currently in cylinder 7, one of the newest additions to Londinium which boasted a wall reinforced in such a way that the entire cylinder wouldn't implode over a few punctures into the vacuum of space, there probably wouldn't be much collateral damage to speak of should the White Fang begin blasting their way out.

"What should we do now?" asks Yua. I cast a glance over at the remaining Mark II unit.

A. I join the fray on the side of the Federation. Kidnapping Erika is just as good a way of getting into contact with her. Besides, I'm already in deep enough trouble with the Federation as it is - no need to add more to my list of crimes. Perhaps they'll be more inclined to deal with me if I demonstrate I'm on their side.

B. I join the fray on the side of the White Fang. I'll fight and escape with them. Getting Erika out safely should be my priority here - even with Yua's optimistic analysis of their chances, there can still be things going wrong in the battle.

C. I use the chaos of the battle to attempt an assassination of President Julia. This is perfect - I can blame it on the White Fang's attack. The loss of the President will create turmoil in the Federation's power structure that Iannes can take advantage of even without my input.

D. I go after the immortals. This is a great opportunity to show the world that they can be killed, not to mention it puts more egg on Julia's face and gets her into trouble with the Star League for allowing it to happen.

E. I remain aloof from the battle and instead head out into space, where I'm sure the White Fang have a ship waiting to pick them up. There's no need for me to get involved in this fight just yet.

1. I remain on foot. I don't need to get into a frame again - my powers are good enough to do what I need to, and being on the ground allows me a stealthier approach compared to stomping about blowing stuff up in a giant robot.

2. Look, it's another giant robot, a successor model of the first one I piloted. Not stealing it would be a travesty. I climb into the Anhur Mark II. Anonymously, of course. No need to go about announcing my identity to the world.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ohwow. How can I resist? Number two is the easy choice for me, number one slightly trickier. Though, thinking about it, if I want Senya stomping about in a CF, we should not be heading back towards daddy just yet, and we do want Erika on our side.

So it'll have to be

B2

for me. :troll:

Baltika9

Arcane
Why you passed up the chance to build realtions with our future soldiers for space pirates and tech that we can easilyoutdo, I have no idea, but might as well make the most of this.

Voting D1: we do not need to kill Julia, not before we interrogate her on every little shred of information and advantage we can get, so that rules out C. I am much more in favor of sabotaging her position in the Star League (yes, this will discredit her), so that we can have her in our whims and eventually lure her into a Faustian bargain, and getting to test out our powers on an average SL immortal. Getting into a CF with Vic Camna and the wild card Captain around isn't such a bright idea for any goal and besides, we do not need to expose Senya's reputation to any more hazards until we have a stable power-base (*cough* Terran Empire) and an extremely talented pilot prancing around in a new-generation CF will definitely cause too much unneeded attention.

Besides, why do we need CFs, when we can create suits of power armor that can eat them for breakfast?
The Mushuszu Empire:

The Empire came into being less than a thousand years ago, on the other side of the galaxy from the Star League. Though an upstart compared to the more established power, under the rule of its Emperor it brandished a ferocity that allowed it to rival the Star League and conquer more than 80 systems. The leader of the Empire is the undying Dragon-Emperor of the Mushuszu. Worshipped as a god by his people, the Emperor is served by a pantheon of eight lesser Deities and sixty-six minor Spirits. These are immortals of varying power, similar to those that are present in the Star League. The pantheon appears to be patterned after a portfolio system, with different Deities allocated the responsibility of governing different aspects of Imperial life. Spirits serve as their aides and messengers to the mortals, who are divided into castes.

The nobles are the administrators and governors, and also tend to be the leaders of religious worship. Next are the warrior caste, followed by the nurturers who grow the sustenance to keep the Imperial war machine fed. It is taboo for Imperial subjects to be merchants or engage in trade - whatever trade occurring in the Empire comes from independent worlds or protectorates. As such, most of the Empire leads a spartan life, focused on only one thing.

War is the primary pursuit of the Empire, above all else, and they seek to dominate all their opponents by force. Their armed forces are strict, highly-disciplined, and almost unbreakable in combat, united by their faith in the Dragon-Emperor.
Definitely Ares, leading "China-in-Space" of all things.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Remember why we came here, bros. Erika and the key to our other aspect's powers.

If we join the federation, Erika will probably hate us and not want us to have the key, so A is out (not to mention that the feds will never trust us so long as Julia is in charge, so there's little point in trying to earn their trust). It's too soon to go after Julia and we don't even know what kind of tricks she might have up her sleeve. Besides, tempting as it is, that's not why we're here. E just seems like a sure loss of Erika as knowing her she'll be all too willing to charge the immortals and die just so her friends can escape. The only option I can see working is:

B2 - Our whole reason for coming here was to get Erika, so we can get her to fork over the key to our other self (maybe we can figure out how to access his powers without releasing him). With our current powers AND the MKII we should be able to fend off the immortals, ensure Erika's safety, escape with our lives, and wound Naim's pride again as a bonus. Fighting on Erika's side will earn us brownie points (that we might have lost while our alter ego was doing the whole "destroy the world" thing a few years back...)

Getting into a CF with Vic Camna and the wild card Captain around isn't such a bright idea for any goal and besides, we do not need to expose Senya's reputation to any more hazards until we have a stable power-base (*cough* Terran Empire) and an extremely talented pilot prancing around in a new-generation CF will definitely cause too much unneeded attention.
So you want to keep Senya's identity a secret and your plan for this is to run up on foot, with our face exposed, and start going toe-to-toe with an immortal live on stage/on TV...?

Besides that, I don't know how you expect to win against TWO immortals on foot. It's not like we brought our black hole suit. The Fang's have some superpowers as Ean's descendants, but we'll just be too slow. I think 1 is more suited for sneaking up on Julia or escaping unnoticed, not for any of the choices where we actually participate in the fighting...

Baltika9

Arcane
Getting into a CF with Vic Camna and the wild card Captain around isn't such a bright idea for any goal and besides, we do not need to expose Senya's reputation to any more hazards until we have a stable power-base (*cough* Terran Empire) and an extremely talented pilot prancing around in a new-generation CF will definitely cause too much unneeded attention.
So you want to keep Senya's identity a secret and your plan for this is to run up on foot, with our face exposed, and start going toe-to-toe with an immortal live on stage/on TV...?

Besides that, I don't know how you expect to win against TWO immortals on foot. It's not like we brought our black hole suit. The Fang's have some superpowers as Ean's descendants, but we'll just be too slow. I think 1 is more suited for sneaking up on Julia or escaping unnoticed, not for any of the choices where we actually participate in the fighting...
We have reality-erasing powers, that should be enough to take down at least one of the fuckers without much problems. Besides,
Yet now, I see the lines floating over her. They are faint, but there nonetheless. The lines exist now because I understand the fundamental method behind the making of these immortals – they are the same nanomachines that flow through my body, the ones that Shulgi gave to me.
They are nothing like Shulgi or Ean, we can harm them like we harmed Erek (with his unhealable wound and whatnot). Besides, you are overthinking things, the choices themselves state that going dismounted is the stealthier option and that Senya feels confident in taking these guys on himself. As for disguises, the dude has master-level bullshitting skills: all he needs is a hockey mask (please make this happen) and we're golden.

I'm pretty sure Erika will survive long enough to put the pieces together as to what's going on if we give her time by assaulting the Immortals, yes she is important, but not important enough to pass up a chance like this: discrediting Julia, damaging the Star League's morale and giving Eannes a great window of opportunity to lobby for our ultimate goals.

High-risk and high reward is the way to do this. Besides, I can't pass up the chance to see how we fare against a standard Immortal, we can use the practice in the future to beat their asses on the battlefields.

Edit: I wish we had the choice to join the Star League's army and gather our earthling people from within.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I dithered over whether to have the suit here, but decided that ultimately the tech within was too important and advanced for Senya to smuggle it in and leave lying around in some nondescript metal box.

Baltika9

Arcane
Random questions: how much does Senya actually know about the Ean mythos?

Also, a question about our event erasing powers: if we erase someone's death or action, does that prevent the consequences from occuring? In other words, can we prevent things from happening by erasing their origins (like, for example, Olympus' implosion or the bombardment of Terra, or the destruction of the Innana plants?)

What does Imperial armor look like?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You can assume he knows most of it up until Ean rift jumping, but not the meta stuff.

You don't know what exactly happens when you erase someone or something, since you have never tried. It remains, as always, a gamble. Senya is hoping to find out more about it before he even begins experimenting. Getting in touch with the locked away aspect is a good way to do that.

As for the Empire, all I'll say is that the Musussu displayed prominently on Imperial heraldry isn't a Chinese dragon...

Baltika9

Arcane
Ho-lee shit, it is Marduk! How've you been, bro? Wonder if he's open to cooperation.
As for our powers, it's obvious they stem from the Great Idea, how that worked, I have no idea... but I'm sure Shulgi does. All we need to do is find out where his body, no way he would die just like that.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ho-lee shit, it is Marduk! How've you been, bro? Wonder if he's open to cooperation.
As for our powers, it's obvious they stem from the Great Idea, how that worked, I have no idea... but I'm sure Shulgi does. All we need to do is find out where his body, no way he would die just like that.
He was sent into the sun. We're going to be waiting around for a while for him to come back. A volcano is what, a few thousand years? The sun would be ten thousand minimum at a guess, if he could return at all.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Until the sun dies, actually. And probably about a couple million years or so after that for him to reform in the void of space, much less if the nanoscopic remains get to an environment rich in organic compounds. The nanomachines are practically invincible to mundane damage but require a suitable environment to operate in.

Jester

Arbiter
D would be nice still i expect that we are one of few people capable of doing it so its traceable to us, C is unnecessary after attack she had information about and if prototypes will be stolen she will hit bottom, E is smart thing to do if we wish to stay low still there is possibility of Erica failing so

I vote B2

As for our great pilot skills, WF were considered one of best pilots in last war probably only Senya and his sister were better so its nice smokescreen after mission we either leave frame to them or remodel it.

We have reality-erasing powers, that should be enough to take down at least one of the fuckers without much problems. Besides,
As treave said, our erasing powers are no joke. Had we used them against Shulgi, it would have fried our mind - probably still would without our other aspect's knowledge. As for the lines, we might have had a shot with that younger, inexperienced immortal, but then we had the suit to make us faster, the black hole generator probably would have allowed us to counter any telekinesis, and she wasn't taking us seriously at all.

These immortals are older, more experienced, a lot faster than us, and possibly capable of holding us captive with telekinesis - not unlike Eric did in the early chapter. Heck, they are both probably just playing around with the Fangs right now. Even if we got the drop on one of them, the other would get serious and rip our head off with their mind. We've got next to no chance without a frame.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
B2 wins.

Into the Fray

I hastily pull on the pilot suit and slip into the open seat of the combat frame. The cockpit closes, enclosing me in darkness. A small, blinking green light on the control console is all that I can see. A small hologram activates, displaying a miniature of a generic, handsome looking military officer.

“Pilot registration required,” recites the hologram. “Please input your Federation military ID.”

“How did the Dunamis get past the security?” I wonder. “Yua, can you do anything about this?”

After she runs through a quick scan of the internal software, she informs me that there is a well-hidden backdoor left within the OS. In fact, it’s pretty much the same exploit I left behind all those years ago. Apparently the Federation hadn’t taken note of it at all… but the Dunamis seem to have.

“Perfect. Take control of everything.” I order.

“Yes, Master!”

Yua downloads the backup of herself that we had prepared beforehand into the frame’s systems. The hologram fizzles and breaks down, only to be replaced by an image of Yua herself.

“All done,” she grins, giving me a wink. “System diagnostics complete. Rebooting OS.”

My pitch black surroundings fall away, showing me the hangar as the external cameras come to life. It looks like CF technology has advanced quite rapidly since I was last in one. The monitor viewscreen has been expanded into a 360-degree panoramic view, giving the pilot the feeling of being seated within a transparent bubble. The controls too had been changed – where there were levers and sticks of the slave system beforehand, now the main method of control appears to be two half-orbs set into the arm-rests that rotate and spin under my fingers. This will take some getting used to.

“What about manual input? The orbs don’t seem to be able to control everything.” I ask.

“It says here… they use neural telemetry for real-time processing of commands, Master. The hardware is embedded in the helmet.”

“It means that you can read my mind.”

“I already can, Master,” The hologram pokes its tongue out at me. “This will just help me convey the commands without you needing to vocalize them. It appears that the software we overwrote was a rudimentary AI meant to assist the pilot in mental piloting.”

“I suppose I should give them credit for that. Let’s show them what a pilot can do with a true AI on his side,” I can’t help but grin as I say that. The powerful engine thrums to life as the thrusters shift into position. It has been some time.

I raise the particle beam rifle, pointing it at the wall of the hangar. The movement is smooth; with a lag of perhaps only a hundred milliseconds or less – this is far better than what I had been used to with the old frames. The frame already feels like a part of me, though I am certain much of that is due to Yua knowing my mind and habits and applying my neural patterns to the commands.

After a short while, I fire. The beam punches through the wall and hits the Shukra that had landed right in front of it, tearing out a large part of its chest. Being able to detect their location without sight is a rather handy ability. I spin the orbs towards me. Anhur Mk II takes one step forward. Then, the thrusters flare to life, hurtling me into the fray.

As soon as I exit, I begin to receive orders from a familiar voice.

“Unregistered pilot of the Anhur Mk II, identify yourself and cease operations immediately!” It’s Naim.

“This is tantamount to an act of treason. I repeat, identify-“

I let him blather on while I scan the field. The Anhur frames hijacked by the White Fang are engaged in close combat some distance away, grappling with the Shukras. One of them is already noticeably damaged, short of one arm. Erika appears to be leading the rest of the Dunamis in an assault on the immortals – only five of them are left. They probably need the Anhurs to break through and blast a hole in the wall; from the space-faring tight suits they are wearing, they probably plan to piggy-back on the frames into space. The immortals have turned the area immediately around them into a fiery ring – an arena of sorts.

I need to fulfill two conditions in order to escape successfully.

First, I need to assist them in creating an exit.

Second, we need to defeat enough of our pursuers, quickly enough so that we can vacate through said exit within 5 minutes. I have no doubt reinforcements are converging on Londinium even now.

The White Fang-piloted Anhur Mk IIs are being prevented from getting closer to the colony wall by the 7 remaining Shukras. They probably need to be in close proximity to the wall to find a weak spot they can blast through.

I have no such problem.

I focus, drawing in the blue specks into lines and dots, staring at the wall in the distance. There.

I aim and squeeze off three shots. The beams strike exactly where I had aimed them, melting through the thick, reinforced wall. Not a second later, cracks grow from each of the three spots. As the lines meet each other the plating crumbles away, leaving a jagged hole in the side of the wall large enough for a CF to pass through. The air begins to rush out of the colony. Almost immediately, the sealants activate, pouring into the gap and attempting to staunch the wound. The first condition is cleared.

“Master, we have five minutes before the sealants complete their repairs.”
“I know. Now for the hard part.”

I send Anhur soaring into the air, barely feeling the acceleration. The frame feels as light as a feather. Three Shukras come forth to meet me, finally identifying me as a threat. Their aim is good, but not good enough to be a threat – I approach them while dodging their beams with ease. Close-up, I can see that the designs are descended from the Vizala line.

“The Shukra frames have the same neural telemetry program that the Anhur Mk II has, Master. I would advise caution-“

Before Yua can finish her advice, I rush forward, closing the final ten metres in an instant. The saber pops into my hand as I approach the first Shukra. It draws its own saber, a yellow streak of burning plasma pouring forth into the shape of a blade, and swings at me. The verniers on Anhur’s shoulder armour fires, sending my frame dropping downwards, ducking below the swing. I balance out almost immediately and activate my own saber, tearing the Shukra into two at the waist. Whirling my frame around, I kick the top half of the stricken enemy at his two mates. The top part is where the reactor is contained, after all. I send a beam through the torso before his allies can disperse. There is a bright flash, engulfing the mechs in a blinding explosion.

As I planned, that caught everyone else’s attention. Setting off a small nuclear explosion in a colony will do that.

The immortals are running towards me now, allowing Erika to retreat with the three Dunamis clansmen still surviving. One of the Anhurs is down, while the other is holding off two Shukras successfully as it falls back towards the breach. The remaining two enemy CFs are headed straight for me.

The immortals reach me first. The female stops and concentrates, her hands stretched out. I can feel her presence entering my mind, attempting to slow me down. I’m forced to a halt, the giant robot I’m in stopping in its tracks.

Stop. Do not move. Surrender to us.

Her voice repeats itself over and over in my head. Meanwhile, the male crouches, tensing his muscles, and leaps into the air, soaring towards my cockpit. That’s just what I’ve been waiting for. I undo her commands, slicing into her words and reducing them into nothingness. With a flick of my wrist, Anhur’s gigantic fist comes up to meet the male immortal while he is in mid-leap. As strong as he may be, the sheer mass and power behind a robot punch means that when it collides with his meagre body of flesh, there is only one possible end.

The male immortal is swatted away into the distance. I don’t hear him land. That won’t kill him, but it should slow him down for some time. I fire my head-mounted vulcans at the female, while she is still staring in shock, but she regains her bearings quickly enough to dodge. At the same time, the two Shukras arrive, landing on either side of me with a great thump. They are fast – faster than the ones I just fought. The one on my right brings down a large beam axe. I narrowly avoid it, losing part of my shoulder armour to the weapon. My evasion sends me out of their reach again. Anhur’s feet skid backwards, digging into the ground. I blast the verniers to stabilize myself, but the two frames are already upon me. One starts firing pot shots at me, which I block with the small buckler shield on the armguard. The other – the one with the axe – comes in high while his partner has me immobilized.

Well, there’s no defense like a good offense. I raise the throttle to maximum. The powerful thrusters on Anhur’s back roar in response, sending my frame barreling into the Shukra. Casting a glance towards the Dunamis, I see that their Anhur has taken care of the enemy frames attacking it and rapidly approaching the exit point, along with Erika.

Time to fulfill the second condition, then.

“Is the system scan complete, Yua?”

“Affirmative, Master. I can reproduce the complete schematics for the Anhur Mk II at will. There is a black box technology built into the frame that I am yet unable to comprehend, but the details have all been recorded anyway.”

“Alright. Upload whatever you’ve got into your main body.”

I send the frame flying backwards, putting some distance between me and the enemy. They chase after me, attempting to prevent my escape. That’s what I was banking on. I unbuckle myself from the pilot’s seat and trace my escape from the cockpit.

“On my departure, send the Anhur charging at the enemy. Then, get ready to junk the frame.”

I don’t need the physical thing now that I’ve jacked Yua in and made a complete digital copy of its build. At least I won’t be going back empty-handed, no matter what happens.

“Aye-aye, Master!”

I count to three before pushing off from the back of Anhur. The low colony gravity allows me to glide a safe distance. Turning back, I watch as the frame flies right at its opponents.

“Now would be a good time, Yua.”

The Anhur Mk II self-destructs, destroying the enemies near it. Now that all conditions have been cleared, our escape is assured. In the chaos of the aftermath, I make my way towards the gap I had torn into the wall.

“Master, the White Fang are about to leave.”

“There’s no need to worry. She’ll wait for me.”

I reach the gap with a minute to spare – the hole in the wall is now big enough only for a human to pass through.

And as I expected, Erika is standing there.

She levels a pistol at me.

As it turns out, their getaway vessel is The Spirit of Adventure (New). I'm not sure why the captain didn't just rename it the New Spirit of Adventure, but as it is, it just has New painted in brackets on the side of the hull. I find myself in an airlock, on my knees and hands behind my head.

Erika is staring at me. I look back at her.

Her once long silver hair is now cut short, hanging down to her chin. Besides that, she doesn't seem to have changed much - that ethereal beauty still resides in her looks. Her body is covered in a tight body-suit, similar to the ones that Twintails wears. Well, the less I say about that, the better. Suffice to say, it flatters Erika better.

"What are you thinking, Senya?" She asks.

"That you haven't changed much."

She gives a rare frown, and points her gun at my head. It seems like that annoyed her.

"I knew it had to be you," she says. "Why are you here?"

"I can do whatever I want, so I came here." I reply, echoing what she once said.

"That doesn't answer my question. Stop beating about the bush."

I laugh - Erika losing her cool is quite refreshing. "Well, you have changed, even if a bit." That frown flits across her face again.

"I'll be honest, Erika. Shulgi left me a message-"

"Ah, that." She cuts me off. She seems to be colder towards me. "You want to unlock... that thing. Uncle told me how it could be done."

"I might not want to unlock it right now. I just needed to confirm that you could do it." I shrug.

"I do not trust you on that, Hoshikawa Senya," A male voice interrupts us. As its owner comes into view, I sigh. Erec Dunamis. Of course he'd be here. Erika steps back, though her gun remains trained on me. "I am guessing you don't remember what happened the last time you showed your true colours."

I smile coldly at him. Of course I don't remember everything, but I remember something... and what I remember is enough to make me sick.

"I remember a bit," I say. "Certainly enough to know that I don't want to go out of control ever again."

"Then why are you here, asking to open that box of horrors again?"

"For the same reason you are engaging in piracy and hijacking prototype combat frames." I say frankly. There's no point pretending in front of them. "I need power."

"The last time you sought power you killed the entire planet!" snarls Erec.

"I don't think what he was seeking was power," I reply quietly, drawing a line between myself and that other aspect of me. "Besides, we were not the only ones to blame. Your uncle, Shulgi. He drew him out. He would never have taken over if-"

"Stop shirking your responsibility, Hoshikawa!" Erec draws his curved Higashi sword angrily. "The death of the planet is all on you. Erika ending up this way is all on you."

"Brother." she says softly, shaking her head.

"Erika... what happened to you?" I turn to look at her. She remains quiet, not meeting my eyes.

"You cut her up with that strange power you have. You gave me just one cut, and it pains me to this day, but you left her limbless in that wreckage, and then you left her to die to the Star League's bombardment." growls Erec. "When I found her I could barely recognize what was left. Thankfully our blood allows us to cling to life where most would not."

"You were rebuilt," I say quietly. A cyborg, like Twintails.

"Everything of me under the neck is fake," replies Erika. Though she says it matter-of-factly, I can tell that she is slightly shaken by having to tell it to me.

"So tell me, Hoshikawa," continues Erec. "I have not had you pay for hurting my sister. Yet you dare come here, demanding something of us?"

Son of a bitch. Shulgi, you prick. Couldn't you have told me this before telling me to look for her?

I shake my head. "I didn't demand. This is why I need power. I made a terrible mistake, and I need to fix it."

"Oh, do you now?" laughs Erec. "There is no need to lie to me. You have not thought about setting things right at all. You have been chasing power for the sake of challenging the rulers of the world, you unrepentant, hypocritical bastard."

"What about you then? Why are you fighting the Federation, if not to gain power?"

"I am. Unlike you, I won't try to put on some two-faced show about it. I want to overthrow the Federation and restore the birthright that is due the descendants of Ean. I will reunite Earth under the new Empire of the Shinar."

From where I'm standing, he seems much further away from his goal than I am, but I do not say it out loud.

"Senya," Erika speaks up. "If you had come to me wanting to set things right, I would have given you the key immediately. But you've changed."

I stare at her.

"All you care about is the power you can get from that other aspect."

"I need that power to set things right-"

"No, you don't. Do you think I haven't been paying attention to what has been going on? You might be able to fool the people in Ankida, but I know what you're really after. We've known each other for a while, after all." Erika smiles sadly. "I can't entrust that power to you."

I give a slight chuckle. "If you think I've changed, then you don't know me at all. I have always been about the ends justifying the means."

"No, that is what you thought yourself to be. What you were was different. Better than this."

I take a deep breath. I can understand why she would say what she has, though she seems to be viewing how I used to be with rose-tinted glasses. Still, my other self did ruin the world, after all. It's natural that she would be wary. I swallow the rising anger and frustration, keeping my mind cold and calm.

"Do you mean you can't trust me?"

"I don't." replies Erec promptly.

"I still do." says Erika, drawing a shocked look from Erec.

"Then..."

She shakes her head again. "I just don't know if you're ready for it. There's another thing that will happen when you unlock it. All your memories will return. What you did before meeting me... what you did while you were out of control... everything you have forgotten will come back to you. I... I don't think you'll want that. And I don't think you're ready."

From the stricken look on her face, she must know of what happened to Kyrie, though I cannot remember whether Erika was there in the fragments of my memories.

I sigh, and look her straight in the eye. "Very well then..."

A. Erika has a point. I am different now. Whether that is good or bad is not up to her to judge, of course. If I want to fully regain her trust, I will have to make more sacrifices. I offer the White Fang shelter at the Sword of Ean. Dad might not be happy when he gets back, but they are a useful combat force, and by keeping an eye on their whereabouts I can have a bargaining card with the Federation if I need it.

B. If she will not acquiesce to my request, so be it. I walk away from the White Fangs for now. I'll find my own way to unlock my abilities. It is my own mind after all, I'm sure I can manage to break through whatever lock Shulgi has placed on it by myself. Besides, I am not going back empty-handed; the schematics for the Anhur Mk II will be very useful.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We came here for Erika, or more specifically, this key. Just love how treave trolls us by having Erika deny us since our goals aren't pure. :hero:

Still, we came here for her and her knowledge. I'll have to go with A

Also, refreshing to troll Naim again. :smug:

A - Putting the band back together.

I fail to see what Erika thinks she's protecting us from. Watching Kyrie being killed in perhaps the worst a mind can imagine is probably the most shocking thing Senya could remember.

edit: Erika can survive as just a head? Hmm. Perhaps if we removed that pesky body and stuck her in a nice comfy jar for a while she'd change her tune...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom