Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Do the Hansa! [Crusader Kings II]

Lindblum

Augur
More corpses!!!

Machiavelli

Educated
Part 8: Hunting dreams (1266-1271)

In the last few years, we became a man.
Yes, we. Our father, Augustin, died at age 51 and now we, Hieronymus, are in charge of the family palace.

His whole life, my father dedicated to showing me and Alexander what true greatness is.
He became Prince Mayor of the Hansa a few years before he died, unable to pass the title on to his sons.

We shall right this wrong, and achieve glory by following in his footsteps and beyond.
The road will be long and hard, without him by our side.

152-StateoftheRepublic_zpsc805e318.jpg

Despite our obvious talents, we start of at the bottom of ladder again.
The current Prince Mayor, Lutbert Warendorp, was elected because of the respect he gained through becoming very old.

153-Influentialpatricians_zps9293e6d7.jpg

Already at the age of 58, he surely isn't to live very long anymore. He is a decent leader; a theologian, diligent, charitable and a good catholic.
He raised his son Giselbert to be like him, but didn't quite make it. Giselbert is a nice person, but no leader.

Heinrich of Wittenborg however, who is next in line based on his respect, is another character.
This brave but cruel and aggressive but lazy patrician is someone you don't want to get in a fight with.
He will surely be no threat to us, though.

154-Rivalsandchancellor_zps8c97bd09.jpg

Our first action as patrician will be to eliminate our youth rivals, Magnus, Arnulf and especially Franz.
They were always mocking me and plotting my downfall, just because I was more talented than them.
Now I am boss, they will feel my wrath. And Franz will be first.

155-TPPlotPrinceMayor_zps36a74deb.jpg

The new Prince Mayor is trying to exploit my father's death by seizing a trade post from our family.
He shall have to do it over my dead body! This is not the way to lead a republic. (Diplomacy route)

156-Firsttargetandambition_zps116753fa.jpg

Ha! Franz will soon be hearing from our killer.
Besides our ambition to kill, we also want to be the most famous patrician this republic has ever known.
Even the feudal lords of Europe will whisper my name, maybe..

157-Firstkill_zps4fa422ba.jpg

Time was up for Franz. His family will surely hate me now, but I don't care.
They know what's coming for them if they do.
Magnus is next. That lazy bastard knows what's coming, so we'll have to be careful.

158-Secondkill_zps882afd56.jpg

Ah, yes.. The wine. My daddy told me something about fine wine and I remembered.
Arnulf then.

159-Thirdkill_zpsb5fcb864.jpg

Again, the wine. My sister in law poisoned his sippings.

So far so good, my rivals are exterminated.
Now we can look into some more important matters. If we are to achieve greatness, we will need an army.
A personal army, that is. We will order the training of 2000 men, half heavy infantry and half archers.

160-Retinue_zps67d61c02.jpg

They will protect our family well.

There is one more problem in my court I stumbled upon. This Russian man, part of the family who's getting crushed in the east by the Mongols.
My father hired him, but he is of no use to me.

161-Fourthkill_zps87ea81c3.jpg

Now we can shift our attention to some politics! Although we also have to take care about the education of our small ones.
My brother Ezzo was an irritating little brat when my father was still alives, he almost couldn't handle him really.
Let's see if I can do better.

162-EzzotemperateVorraderising_zpsa886f365.jpg

The elections are not looking good. We are fourth in line and not rising a bit.
There will soon be changes to this, however. I will continue my father's campaign against the ever expanding Vorrades.
Ortwin Vorrade is now in charge of his family. Soon, he won't be any more.

163-Vorradefalling_zps1e045b9c.jpg

Success! We got rid of Ortwin.
And even better, our brother in law now's in charge. I hope my sister will be loyal to our family and help out if
he tries to do something stupid.

Let's go hunting!

164-Grandhunt1_zps265456bd.jpg

Ludwig is kind of a nice guy. Or is he just trying to woo me because I'm boss now?
Those hounds were really beautiful. And helpful.
But I don't need anyone to rule, I managed those wolves perfectly on my own.

165-Warendorpplot_zpsbb633920.jpg

For my first hunt, it was pretty good!
My spymaster had news of Prince Mayor's heir, he's trying to kill his competitor for the election.
I can't blame him, but it should've been my plot.

166-DeadKaiser_zpsea3ce011.jpg

Word came of a new Kaiser ascending the throne of our Empire.
Kaiser Friedrich had died after a long life of virtue.
My father had told me great stories about the Kaiser, who was reigning far before I was born.
It shall be difficult to get used to this new, young, emperor.

167-KillVorrade_zps5646a767.jpg

Ezzo's education is going just fine.. He still is the ruthless kind of boy.
I've decided to act on Hildemar. The offense the existance of his family is to mine, is something I can't ignore.
My sister will help me, she can marry someone else.

168-Grandhunt2_zpsc0ec9a2b.jpg

I like this hunting. It's good for my prestige, because the other patricians all witness my bravery.
And it's an awful lot of fun, too.
Too bad of the peasant kid ruining the day. I've gained nothing today but enjoyment.

169-DaughterbornEzzonotcruel_zps409149b3.jpg

My second daughter was born. Let's hope she doesn't take after my brother Ezzo,
I'm really getting tired of him.

170-Vorradekillandelections_zpsaafb8bc3.jpg

Hildemar is no more. The Vorrade family will definitely not deliver any Prince Mayor soon.
The Warendorps and Wittenborgs are acting against eachother before the old man dies. Hopefully we will be joining the fight soon.

171-Brunhildebetrothal_zpse6c0a61b.jpg

My genius little sister came of age. I shall take good care of her.
She's marrying the brother of the King of Sweden. We already have close relations with the Norse.
It will make our close family a little bit more prestigious, also.

172-Kingandbrother_zpsf9ea8780.jpg

Torkel here, has a claim on the kingdom. He's also talented for a boy.
Not quite like me, but hey!

His father Tjudmund is in problem, because he is excommunicated.
Let's not help him for now, see how he handles it.

173-Grandhunt3_zpse8c9723a.jpg

The hunt today was perfect! My councillors did find me selfish for not granting my kill, but it was my kill..

It seems the King's excommunication has met it's consequences. Our good papal relations will help him.
I don't want those Scandinavians fighting useless wars, nor do I want to lose the prestige for that marriage.

174-Excommwar_zpscc0761d2.jpg

Speaking of war. The King of Bohemia is revolting again. This time he found the Duke of Holland at his side.
This is a perfect opportunity to expand. We already have three trade posts on his lands. We could try our new retinue on him.
He has a greater military strength than we, however. He has 10000 men and we have our 2000 men retinue, plus 1100 or so levy. We could hire some mercenaries, but it wouldn't be enough.
We better wait for the Kaiser to arrive before we try seizing a city in Holland.

175-Vorraderevenge_zps7bc153f6.jpg

Those Vorrades keep testing us!
Ezzo, who killed his family in the past, will soon perish.

176-Killsucces_zps6f71a0f5.jpg

177-Largemerchantcaravan_zps3aba6bcb.jpg

Those merchants were a nice distraction from life. They brought a man, Hafiz.
He's a nice person, but has no special qualites. He has a distaste for non-catholics, though, and fights any he can find.

178-Ezzodeceitfulwifepregnant_zpsf658095b.jpg

I have given up on my brother Ezzo. Let him scheme and be a bad boy, I don't care anymore!
Let's hope I'll get another son soon.

179-Republicansuccession_zps887019ba.jpg

The old man died, as expected. The elections came too early for us to win.
Heinrich Wittenborg now rules.
We want his spot! We will do anyhting we can to remove him from that throne.

Soon, we will have the army to dictate the politics here.

But it might be a long time before our family has the lead again.

Machiavelli

Educated
Machiavelli, I have to say that your name well suits you.

Maybe, yes. But I think Niccolo himself would say that my patience needs practice.

You shouldn't give up on Ezzio, teaching takes time and patience.

Yes, patience ;-)

We'll see if we can make Ezzo into a good patrician still. My frustration with him may be partly caused by the long wait to becoming Prince Mayor.

Machiavelli

Educated
Part 9: Real game (1271-1276)

The last few years saw us making our first decisions as patrician Hieronymus.
We started off by killing the rivals in our court and one rival in the election.
We still have to marry our sister off, since her husband unfortunately didn't make it to the elections.

There is a new Prince Mayor now.

180-NewPrinceMayor_zps71e90df2.jpg

And he's acting like a dick already. His two trade posts don't match ours and that won't change.
He quickly recovered from his mistake and appointed us chancellor. He probably hopes he won't regret it.

181-Newgenius_zps3c5b1c1e.jpg

Ermengard grew up to be an Intricate Webweaver, nice. We married her to Prince Knud of Denmark.
We now allied all three Scandinavian powers, so we can pick and choose.
Also, we will be fighting Holland soon and the duke will not be thankful for it. So we promised our oldest daughter Richwara to Konrad, son and heir to the old Duke of Swabia.

182-Attack_zps2da39474.jpg

The Kaiser has come to Holland and now is our time to strike. We must make it to the Dutch coast, before the Kaiser gets there, to seize the city of Hoorn. Too bad we can only conquer one city at a time.
Our declaration of war against Duke Floris V has made clear we are the Brave kind of patrician.

I'm trying to teach my son Ruprecht the righteous way, but doing it triggered my doubt.

183-Zeal_zpsf8beaf03.jpg

This will hurt our papal relations a bit.
The Duke of Holstein decided it was a good time to conquer our beautiful city. We can't help the Prince Mayor right now,
because we're fighting in Holland. Let's hope he'll make it on his one.

184-Republicunderattack_zps66626c80.jpg

185-HieronymustheGreat_zps65b2d634.jpg

The marriage of our sister Brunhilde and Prince Torkel of Sweden is completed. We gained a lot of prestige from it,
and now we are so respected within the republic, that we gained the nickname 'the Great'. Oh yeah, that feels good.

The election is looking pretty good now. We are next in line, if only we could make Heinrich die soon..
Our war in Holland is going well, too.

186-Electionsandsiege_zps058f7230.jpg

187-Warefforts_zps5c880bfd.jpg

We are winning this war and my wife is pregnant again, perfect!

188-Marriagebirthandvictory_zps551ae28b.jpg

We won the war and gained the city of Hoorn in Westfriesland! This is our first real expansion.
The city will not give us income for the first 20 years or so, but it will be a great help from then on.

Sister Agathe will marry a Duke in England. We might be looking into expanding trade there and the prestige is nice.

My nephew Peter grew up to be a Grey Eminence. He might become my chancellor soon and he will add to our trade post limit for now.

189-Newhelp_zpse5b54498.jpg

190-Education_zpsc46f458d.jpg

Ezzo finally made my day. He is charitable and might be turning out well, against all odds.
My son Ruprecht had to be reigned in.

191-Elections_zpsee2a6260.jpg

192-Luumlbecksaved_zpse83409d8.jpg

The election is still looking good, and we had to help the Prince Mayor defend Lübeck.
He couldn't protect the city without us.
Let's try to kill him.

193-Expandingtrade_zps9af3cc13.jpg

The families are expanding their trade. We have built in Holland and Norway.
The Warendorps on the east coast of England. Von Bardewik expanded into France.

A new people tend to bring in talent. We found this Mongolian genius, Gurbesu.
We will marry her to Peter, as an exotic gift, and hopefully they will make a lot of babies.

194-BethrotalPeterandGurbesu_zps601cba8b.jpg

We'll convert her to catholicism later.

The Kaiser instituted Medium Crown Authority in the Empire. That means we won't fight other vassals inside the realm anymore.
We have to find independent targets from now on, and we'll need the army to beat them. So let's build an Administrative Office for a larger retinue.

195-Buildadminoffice_zpsce41cb56.jpg

196-Ezzogrowingup_zps7625feb2.jpg

Ezzo gave us one last hard time before he grew up. He turned out good after all.

Peter is an ambitious lad. And our son Ruprecht is a good boy.

197-PeterchancellorBraveRuprecht_zpsa1797e5b.jpg

198-MarriageIsentrudandcountAmbitiousRuprecht_zps4ad043a3.jpg

Our sister Isentrud, who lost her husband in our last move against the Vorrades, will need a new husband.
And we gain the prestige again. Nobody will threaten our election now.

We rallied support for our plot to kill the Prince Mayor. Elsewhere in the world, Spain and Poland are in civil war.

199-Worldmapplottopower_zps84c5f938.jpg

200-Badhunt_zpsb349b3e2.jpg

Our last hunt ended tragically! We became wounded. I guess it's better to wage war than hunt game.

Will we succeed in killing our current leader and thus become leader of this Republic ourselves?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's only wounded. It'll pass in a couple of months and you get scarred, which gives +0.1 prestige per month.
The bad one is maimed since it never goes away.

Machiavelli

Educated
God damn it. I totally forgot to emphasise the fact that our genius wife gave birth to a NEW family genius named after our late father, Augustin, during spring 1272.

Hope y'all didn't miss it. ;-)

Machiavelli

Educated
Part 10: Patience is a virtue (1276-1283)

Last few years we were handling with the new Prince Mayor, we built up an army, seized the city of Hoorn from the Duke of Holland,
allied Sweden and defended our Grand City of Lübeck from the Duke of Holstein because the Prince Mayor couldn't.

A powerful plot is in place to kill the Prince Mayor. Let's see how it goes from there.

201-RemarryIsentrud_zps33bd6a6c.jpg

Our sister Isentrud is rather unlucky with the men she got married to. Her former husband was murdered on our orders and her new husband was murdered too.
I swear, Isentrud, it's not our fault this time.

Our greatness has made us less ambitious:

202-Bestpatricianever_zps85923925.jpg

203-BuildTP_zps163a12e0.jpg

We will build a trade post in Vestfold, Norway. It's the last free spot in the seazone Kattegat, so we want it because of the trade zone bonus.
Another consideration with building them is expansion. We'll get a casus belli to seize the city (if there is one) in the county we have built a trade post.
We've used this CB on the Duke of Holland, by seizing the city of Hoorn. Later, we can seize the whole county if Crown Authority or the rebellious nature of the Duke allows.
Our other trade posts are in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. We will not be attacking them yet, unless some smaller vassal revolts, we don't want to piss off the kings just yet.

204-ElectionandRuprecht_zps990596fc.jpg

The election is still looking good, so let's hope this Prince Mayor will die with or without us plotting for it very soon.
The Prince Mayor is expanding into France, the Warendorp family into England. They have more adult male family members and thus can expand more.

205-Wealthylocalnoble_zps63548d6f.jpg

206-Civilwarandlosingplotpower_zpsd0ca5b34.jpg

There's again civil war in the empire, this time there are no coastal targets for us.
But the really bad news is there is declining support for our plot to kill Heinrich. His short reign penalty is wearing off.
We will just have to wait..

207-AgathetoWittenborg_zps5433cccc.jpg

Our trade post is finished and maybe there is something we can do about our problem.
We can send Agathe to Heinrich's court by marrying her to Diether, his heir.
She is our Slow niece, but has an intrigue skill of 15. Maybe she can arrange something for us.

208-Ruprechtendplot_zps45ce2671.jpg

Our son Ruprecht is doing well. But our brother Ezzo is turning out to be a pain in the ass, like he was as a kid.
He is plotting to kill the oldest son of his older brother, Alexander. We can't be killing in our own family!

209-EducateAugustinhealedwound_zpsd796f14c.jpg

The old wound has healed and we will educate our genius son Augustin ourselves. Also our office is finished, which means we can build up our retinue to 4000 men.

Tragic news:

210-Alexanderdied_zps1f42ecd4.jpg

Brother Alexander died, too young.
Our new heir is Peter, his son. Maybe that's why Ezzo wanted to kill him.
He is betrothed to the genius Mongol.
The pope died, too.

211-Peternewpope_zpsef46e90c.jpg

Peter is a quality guy when it comes to diplomacy. But his other skills are below average.
We probably don't want to play as him, but as our son Augustin if he makes it in time.

212-Ruprechtandnewplotsupport_zps09bc1018.jpg

213-CynicsAugustin_zpsbcb76163.jpg

Ruprecht and Augustin are good boys, and we have new support for our plot.
I can't believe almost no one wants to kill this guy.

More bad news came, just after we married Ezzo and Osterhild, the Vorrade genius.
Our sister Adelinde, Queen of Norway, died.

214-MarryVorradegeniusQueenNorwaydied_zps350143c6.jpg

215-MarrytheNorseagain_zpsfe68c931.jpg

Our nephew Olav here, can marry our daughter Osterhild to make sure the alliance holds.

216-Noplotsupportmotherdied_zpsfa409d0c.jpg

Our mother died. People keep dying and so does our plot.
Hungary was taken by the Mongols and now a crusade is called. We won't be participating.

217-CrusadeforHungary_zps8cbe2b1a.jpg

Speaking of Mongols, Gurbesu came of age. Peter will be very happy with his new wife.
Our son Augustin is becoming more and more likely, our heir.

218-PeterandGurbesumarried_zps4e3eee82.jpg

219-JustAugustin_zps8b96b2ba.jpg

Finally some good news! The Prince-Archbishop of Skane is rebelling against the King of Denmark.
This is another chance for expansion.

220-WarvsArchbishop_zpsf0e694b6.jpg

We will try to seize the city of Tribuzin, it shouldn't be a problem if the Danish Army doesn't meet ours on the battlefield and we can siege freely.
My nephew Peter needs to get to work.

221-SlothfulPeter_zps9739490a.jpg

I don't know why we would try to improve Hamburg, though. We have no holdings there.

222-Warefforts_zps86603045.jpg

Our war against the bishop is going well, we've crushed his small army and are now sieging his island.

223-DaughterRichwaraandKonradofSwabia_zps61c5cc47.jpg

Our alliance with the duke of Swabia is a fact!
And our heir Augustin is on the right track.

224-EducatingAugustin_zpsca71660d.jpg

225-Ruprechtcouncilandwonwar_zpsd832b883.jpg

Our son Ruprecht became adult and now he wants to be court chaplain. He can convert our new talented subjects to catholicism.
We also won the war very easily on these islands. We have gained our second city, after Hoorn.
Our plot to kill the Prince Mayor is still in place, but we have too little support for it to trigger soon.

Will there be more and greater success in store for us and Augustin in the future?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Machiavelli

Educated
Part 11: Slowly but surely (1283-1288)

The last years we saw a new pope elected, our brother Alexander and our sister Adelinde dead, our brother Ezzo plotting to kill his nephew and our genius son Augustin showing signs of talent.
Furthermore, we seized an island city in Denmark and sustained our alliance with Norway after Adelinde's death.

We have a new plot. If we can't kill the Prince Mayor now, we will take care of his family first. Maybe he will appoint new councillors who are willing to kill him.

226-Newplot_zps86fe497c.jpg

The first attempt failed.

227-Failure_zpsfc48b323.jpg

The second and third attempt failed too. Maybe we're out of luck.
Let's look at something else.
Our son Ruprecht is whining about me not granting him a wife soon enough. So I checked and found this sunni creature.
Strong one there.

228-MarriageRuprecht_zps18d1367d.jpg

Make strong babies!

A Swedish Duke got excommunicated.

229-DukeTorfinnexcomm_zps008efd7e.jpg

And we are on the expansion track again. We have a trade post in Viken, and therefore are able to declare war on this duke to seize the city of Kungahalla.

230-SeizeKungahaumllla_zps68920636.jpg

Which we will.
We shall have to watch out for the army of the Swedish king, though. He will be hostile to us.
Augustin is making us proud with his questions.

231-WareducateAugustin_zps06f27e0d.jpg

The marriage of Nahal and Ruprecht is already paying off. She gave birth to a Strong son, named Hieronymus.
We are flattered.
He could maybe, just maybe, be the next heir. After our own genius Augustin, of course.

232-StrongHieronymusborn_zps6f929308.jpg

You shouldn't be fighting rebels when you're old. But it's too late for the Kaiser.
So now we've got a new one:

233-NewKaiser_zps959e615e.jpg

Not really a strong personality, for a Kaiser, that Otto. But Konrad wasn't either.
This city seizing feels easy.

234-Wonwar_zps7527cdb2.jpg

235-WarinEurope_zpscf917f43.jpg

The King of Bohemia decided it was time to rebel once again with the new Kaiser still weak in relations and already fighting a war versus the enemies of the French king.

236-KillPM_zpsdde1a31f.jpg

He didn't succeed.
Our niece Agathe is the only one who will join our plot for now. Let's hope she'll see an opening somewhere.

237-MarriageUte_zps6ec3aaff.jpg

Our daughter Ute, we married to some count in Sweden. Have fun, honey.

238-QuicknephewPeterborn_zpsea21591b.jpg

And there's another talented family member! Peter named his own son Peter. Alright.
He's quick.

Not very long after she gave birth, Gurbesu died.

239-Gurbesudiednewgeniushighcrownauthority_zps12783474.jpg

We have found a new genius for Peter to breed with. The Emperor has now instituted High Crown Authority.
This means inherited lands cannot pass out of his realm anymore.
We don't care, but we don't want it to be raised to Absolute Crown Authority. If that happens, we won't be able to start wars anymore.

Our son Ruprecht is talented and will become our chancellor.

240-BuildScenicPondRuprechtchancellor_zps15a8e7b3.jpg

We will upgrade our Scenic Pond to Hedge Maze. Just because we can, and it will help our heirs with gaining prestige and diplomacy.

Yes! Finally it's time..
The Prince Mayor has grown infirm, meaning he will probably die soon and hopefully more people are now willing to make him die a little earlier.

241-PrinceMayorinfirm_zps42b524f7.jpg

Oh yeah, that crusade for Hungary is not going well at all.
But we will be in charge of the Republic soon, so nothing can kill our mood now.

242-Crusadefailing_zps6f9a7cfe.jpg

243-KingofNorwayincapable_zpsda1126ca.jpg

The King of Norway is also dying. Luckily, we married our daughter to his heir.
We won't be sad when he dies.

244-Vorradewantstomarry_zps174c67b8.jpg

My nephew.. ? Ah yes, one of the children my sister produced while being married to Hildemar.
He is asking for a marriage, but we won't be creating more Vorrades in our court!
We will probably arrange his death (and that of his brothers) when we are Prince Mayor.

245-AugustinGreyEminence_zpsc77ffcbd.jpg

We are proud, Augustin!
You've became a great diplomat and schemer.
We must find a fantastic wife for you to play with.

246-LoveforAugustin_zpsb5f9d9ec.jpg

Which one to choose?
They are all genius. Adelheid is the proper german catholic girl and loves me.
Ebegei will be the best diplomat, but hates me and is a mongol tengri. And is a little low on age.
Peksen has the best stats, so I feel for her.

What do the readers say?
There can be voting on this issue if really quick, because I want to be playing tonight. =D
I really want to see this Prince Mayor dead..

When Hieronymus is Prince Mayor Hieronymus I of Lüneburg, I will be publishing a more important voting subject, namely our expansion plans as the head of the Republic.
We will want to make this republic a major factor in the north of Europe and need to make our reign a substantial one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lindblum

Augur
Peksen those stats...
Augustine is a god damned monster we have to keep the bloodline flowing with only the best genes.

Machiavelli

Educated

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Adelheid. Got to keep the bloodline pure. (And I absolutely hate how marrying a mongol once makes all of your children for the next four generations have those awful faces)

hostergaard

Educated
I haven't gotten around to get the republic DLC yet, but it seems having a huge family is extra important here, so here is how I usually get an army of übermench family members in two or three generations:

Its quite simple really, I don't waste my daughters on pointless marriages, instead I invite talented (never skimp on the eugenics) males to my court and force them to marry my daughters matrilineally, it usually come with a bonus opportunity for pressing the males claims or make them first in line to inherit with a series of unfortunate accidents, so later their children of my dynasty will inherit. Since they are in your court you are free to do with the offspring as you wish, a handy pool for when you need to hand out titles or arranged marriages.

With a little luck and a few fertile mates you will be looking a three digits number of family members by the third or fourth generation. I often set myself a challenge of breeding out everyone else in my county/douchy/kingdom before taking a higher title and repeating. Its fun, only problem is that your family then goes and start marrying each other and ruining your careful eugenics program with inbreed retards. :roll:

But those are handy for poisoning other families gene pool. You should do that with your competition. :troll:

Machiavelli

Educated
I haven't gotten around to get the republic DLC yet, but it seems having a huge family is extra important here, so here is how I usually get an army of übermench family members in two or three generations:

Its quite simple really, I don't waste my daughters on pointless marriages, instead I invite talented (never skimp on the eugenics) males to my court and force them to marry my daughters matrilineally, it usually come with a bonus opportunity for pressing the males claims or make them first in line to inherit with a series of unfortunate accidents, so later their children of my dynasty will inherit.

With a little luck and a few fertile mates you will be looking a three digits number of family members by the third or fourth generation. I often set myself a challenge of breeding out everyone else in my county/douchy/kingdom before taking a higher title and repeating. Its fun, only problem is that your family then goes and start marrying each other and ruining your careful eugenics program with inbreed retards. :roll:

Yes, I also do this when playing as a normal feudal lord.

With the Republic DLC and playing as a republic, though, it's different. Patricians do not have the option to marry matrilineally at all. So, female family members can never produce children of your dynasty.
Only males are really important. Your daughters and sisters only matter for alliance purposes.

Machiavelli

Educated
Part 12: Caught by surprise (1288-1292)

Last few years, we seized a Swedish city from an excommunicated duke, made some arrangements concerning alliances and saw a new Kaiser rising to the throne.
We were also waiting for the current Prince Mayor to die, so we can be the new one. Which we are still..

247-Lubeckelections_zpsad31530c.jpg

So there we are, we are the most powerful contender in the upcoming elections. Heinrich needs to die soon.
We want control over Lübeck.
Currently we control the city of Hoorn in Westfriesland, where our capital is and our retinue:

248-Hoornelections_zps6f6bf8ab.jpg

249-Scandinaviaelections_zps6f39b338.jpg

And we control two cities on Scandinavian coasts; one in Viken and one in Rügen (the second most eastern Danish island).
We have room for one more trade post. I have decided it would be in our interest to build one in Riga.
It is Teutonic Order territory and building there gives us a casus belli to seize the city there. It's a rich neighbourhood also.

250-ExpansionTeutons_zps607810ed.jpg

We can handle the Hochmeister of the Teutonic Order with the hiring of some mercenaries. So this will give us an extra opportunity to expand.
The crusade for Hungary failed.

251-Crusadefailsstrongniece_zps8438105a.jpg

And we've got a strong granddaughter added to the family.
Sharing a grandfather is no problem in breeding matters as far as I know, so please feedback on the possibility of pairing our strong granddaughter with one of Augustin's maybe-genius-sons.
Augustin here, is to be our chancellor. His 26 diplomacy skill will help us greatly.

252-AugustinchancellorKingNorwaydead_zpscc6a3014.jpg

The king of Norway died, but we have made arrangements for the alliance.

An interesting thing we can do is declaring war on two of the patrician families in our republic.
This is the case with the von Bardewiks and the Vorrades, because they're becoming too strong trade-post-wise.
Let's seize a trade post from both of them.

253-DOWvonBardewik_zps0874f1cb.jpg

254-DOWVorrade_zps049acdd8.jpg

The war is going well, they've raised some soldiers. But it won't be enough for them, we have a wicked retinue.

255-Warefforts_zps4cce5482.jpg

Our plot to kill the Prince Mayor is powerful:

256-PlotrevealedTPfinished_zpse61c1d07.jpg

But also revealed. Maybe we'll lose some backers now.

257-AugustinplusPeksen_zps005e3fa4.jpg

I have waited for the education of our potential daughter-in-laws to finish.
Peksen turned out to have the only tier four education. Augustin is a little low on martial, so she'll help with that.
I just feel he will be battling a lot in the future.

The von Bardewiks have hired some mercenaries.

258-Inforthekill_zps63a4753f.jpg

Too bad for them, we are stronger.
We will crush them.

259-Bardewikwarwon_zps7e3daf92.jpg

And indeed, we won. The trade post in Lübeck is ours.
More expansion is on the way:

260-Salernianleagueindependencewar_zps7356f6c6.jpg

The duchess of Salerno decided to declare independence from the Kaiser, which won't work.
It's her fault the duke of Holland is now going to lose a city once more.

261-DOWHollandKaiserworks_zps14a8442c.jpg

We redirected our retinue to Holland and the Kaiser is already here to help us.
It will be a long siege, because the garrisons are really strong this far into the game, but also an easy win.

262-Swabiajoinsnoplotpower_zpse97c7a3e.jpg

Our ally, the duke of Swabia, joined our war. And it seems our plot is not really succeeding.
We gained a new alliance, though.

263-Norsealliance_zpsf6f5c54e.jpg

264-Vorradewarwonstrongnephew_zpse860e22a.jpg

And we won the war against the Vorrades.
Our son Ruprecht is still going strong on the reproduction track.

265-Hollandwarwonambition_zps14c85b64.jpg

We won the war against Holland and fulfilled our totally forgotten ambition to amass wealth.
Well, it seems to be going well moneywise.

266-Upgradecity_zps600423ae.jpg

We will use our money to upgrade our cities and our palace.
Our palace has come to the point we better upgrade our levy there.

267-Buildarmory_zps3829d192.jpg

And after decades of waiting, the good news came unexpectedly.

269-Patriciansuccession_zps6bcc50ad.jpg

The Prince Mayor has died. We are now Prince Mayor Hieronymus the Great and should be exploring our possibilities to expand our realm.
There are three options to choose, not exluding eachother.
We can seize cities for ourselves from the Teutonic Order, Sweden, Denmark and Norway. Other patricians have trade posts in Engeland and France, which we can also claim for them as Prince Mayor.
Our expansion therefore can go three ways:

270-Worldmap_zps514107b6.jpg

- East, fabricating claims on Teutonic Order lands and seizing the city in Riga. We will eventually have to fight the Mongols, though, so that is a risk.
- North, try to seize some more cities from rebellings vassals of the Kings of Scandinavia. This will be slower than the eastern route. In the long term, we could try and invade Denmark.
They have an army of some 20.000, though, so maybe it would be wise to build up our army first. (We can raise about 10.000 soldiers including mercenaries). I think our northern allies can't help us.
- West, try to seize some more cities and land from Holland of course, and other rebelling vassals of the HRE, England and France. Also slow.

We could of course also go east first, gaining men on the way and adding soldiers to our retinue, and then invade Denmark or possibly Scotland or something.

Please feedback on our plans.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Go west young man
And break bread in the new lands
And my life is over
While your's is just beginning

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom