Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I thought it was Pahnrath.

Jester

Arbiter
A temple, basking in the sun. Glory. Worshippers thronging its courtyard. Faith. Twisting tunnels under its surface. Slumber. The all-encompassing embrace of a provider and nurturer, and the silhouette of a teacher. Knowledge. A man, hurling fire from his fingers.
hmmm wait a sec its remind me Eans fight vs Sek in Egypt, is this Pahnrath the broken 3 sister?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
No, no, no, no. It's one of Pahnrath's children, isn't it? It saw Ean creating the fire in the tunnels beneath. It was there with Sek. Probably the one that she pat. The temple collapsed or something and it was buried underneath.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
True, it could become a pretty destabilizing presence should it get loose into the world.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Senya completed the Tjaru battle, meaning that he has an inkling of this thing's origin himself. The temple collapsed before Tjaru.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
At least what happened till the end of that chapter. He's wary of believing it since it came from Shulgi. Yup, this child will hold some of Sek's knowledge. I believe we still have a few of her journals lying about the apartment...

Zwist

Learned
The great problem being, this creature is probably not fully matured mentally. And we have a part of it in us. The most natural reaction a child would have is to take everything back. This is the problem with B. And that is the problem with E too.
We might be smarter, but we are not better at being a Gieloth than this creature. What would happen if we try to dominate it? We have knowledge it does not, from Sekhs notes. But we are trying to do that using a piece that was basically cut away from this exact Gieloth. Risky at least.
Of course the most intriguing option, as it is the most unpredictable.
I am still choosing B2 at the moment(updatet my original post). It is rather reckless, but a Gieloth running around is just the kind of Chaos that makes things interesting.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Yup. It's a dormant Sekchild.
Yeah, I had written it all out last night and then screwed up my post and gave up. So could it hear the tree down there or was it psychically linked to Sek the whole time? I ask because it mentioned "tree" near the end.

Kipeci

Arcane
According to my tally, B2 is winning with six votes.

A2 has one vote, B1 has two votes (though one of those votes is set to flop to E1 if B1 doesn't win), E1 has two votes (three if you include the flop from B1 not winning) and E2 has three votes.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
E voters will have to consolidate then. I plan to update in about 12 hours time, so unless the situation changes before then we're going for the nice guy choice.

I'll flop back to E1 if it has a shot at winning, but I'm voting against B1 mainly.

Kipeci

Arcane
Why you and several others think that an option incorporating 1 will work out? I was rather uncritical of it at first (I was just thinking something along the lines of how it would be nifty to demolish some of those Hierarchs while we were here) but when I realized that we would be trying to kill as many as possible, including our considerably more buff sister, I decided it was a dodgy decision.

We have taken more of the mental power-ups this whole time rather than anything physical, unlike our sister here, and the environment here appears to degrade sensible thought... that, and we've had no time to set up plans or bring nifty contraptions other than our teleportation whatsit. We'd be incredibly boned (considering the environment, perhaps in a depressingly literal sense) if we get into a fight, or so it appears to me.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nobody flop, update incoming.

Oh, and Zwist has the right idea on what is about to happen. Of course, it'd have been worse with E anyway, but eh, consider a bad end dodged. For now.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah. That option sounded too good to be true. Just as the Naim option where we had to rewind. We'd better remember that from this point on. If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is. :salute:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The difference between 1 and 2, for B, is in the disposition of the Gieloth after it recovers. It's less bloodthirsty and - shall we say, obedient? - should you approach it with a more peaceful mindset of escape.

The difference between 1 and 2, for B, is in the disposition of the Gieloth after it recovers. It's less bloodthirsty and - shall we say, obedient? - should you approach it with a more peaceful mindset of escape.
Wait. Less bloodthirsty and LESS obedient or less bloodthirsty and MORE obedient?

If it's the former, sounds to me like B1 might have yielded better results. Would have loved the scene where Senya shatterpoints his sis and the cultists flip out.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Breakthrough

track: executioner

The moment my tendrils touch the core, I realize the grave mistake I had made. My tendrils were never truly mine to begin with, and now they had found where they truly belonged. For the first time I realize that no matter how they might have moved to my will, my control over them has always been something unnatural – a forced union brought about only by the paradoxical nature of man to desire both subjugation and worship of the unknown. I can do nothing as they are ripped from me, piece by piece, tendril by tendril, tearing themselves away from the nerves I had symbiotically bonded them to as part of my own experiments.

The pain is excruciating. Yua's voice is nothing but a buzzing in my ears. I sink to the cold stone ground, unable to vocalize my agony – I cannot even control a single muscle. My breathing wheezes erratically as my chest constricts in random, painful spasms.

Even through this all, a part of me watches myself, calm and detached, secure in the frigid void that has found itself a place in my mind. I watch as the creature completely draws the flowing black mass from my body, and into the girl's corpse. Whatever cells had been responsible for their production goes with them. The hole in the corpse's abdomen begins closing, pulled together by the tendrils it had regained. A sense of gratefulness enters my mind.

Fat load of good that'll do me.

Fat... load?

You could have warned me, I think bitterly.

Things are now how it should be.

The cultists are still in their frenzy, but I can hear footsteps approaching slowly – the lead priest is walking back this way. His wailing chant grows louder. My immobile body is hidden behind the altar, but he will notice me soon enough.

Do you plan to leave me here to die?

Escape... that was what you wanted, right? Hm, this is interesting.

What is interesting?

I can feel you... inside me.

I concentrate for a while. Indeed, I can feel the Gieloth's presence faintly in the back of my mind, like some sort of resident... or parasite. It should be feeling the same. The feeling is unlike that when it broadcasted its thoughts and emotions clearly. For now, I would have to be careful to avoid telling any outright falsehood or exhibit hostile intentions towards it; it is my only chance to get out of here right now.

I would have escaped had you not called out to me for help.

That is unfortunate, but it has been so long since I have met someone that could actually hear me.

Though its words are repentant, I can feel that it isn't really all that torn up over rendering me a paralytic invalid. Instead, it seems to be getting happier by the second, as it restores itself.

“What is this?” shouts the priest. “The Messenger's body... where is it? What has happened to the vessel?” It sounds like whatever the Gieloth did, it wasn't part of the cult's plans. I try to edge myself closer to the altar, to avoid being seen. The pain is receding by now, but I still have little control over my body.

What now?

Mm, well...

The Gieloth's mood suddenly takes a turn for the lighter, as it stretches its limbs and opens its eyes. It appears to be releasing something into the air – are those pheromones? I hear the moans of the cultists grow louder, their frenzied copulation turning violent. Thankfully, I remain unaffected; I wonder if it's the loss of control I'm currently suffering, or perhaps the nature of our connection.

“My Messenger! My Messenger!” shrieks the priest, lost in ecstasy. His screams of pleasure turn to screams of pain as I hear a brief, tearing noise. I sense the Gieloth grow in strength as it takes back the part of it that had been given to the Second Hierarch. Then, the child's head peeks over the altar, her dark hair swinging over her golden eyes. She grins wickedly as she tosses me something that looked like a sausage, coated in red and white. If I could shrink back, I would.

I think they are going to be a bit occupied for a while.

I can't move. That's the most crucial part of my problem.

Too bad. Are you going to make a little girl carry you?

I thought you were grateful for my help?

Of course I am. I was just joking.

A wave of tentacles flows down from the altar, wrapping around me gently. The girl drops down and begins walking towards the door, dragging me behind her like prey in a net as she hums happily.

An explosion cuts our escape short. The girl jumps back with a squeak. Well, I didn't expect to be lucky enough to just walk out of here like that. With great effort, I force my head to turn slightly to one side. Rei, Keiko and the other Second Hierarch appear to have recovered from the effect somehow. The old man has his arm outstretched – he was probably the one who cast that fireball. From what I know of their abilities, that makes him the wizard, Keiko the rogue, and Rei the fighter. That's a pretty balanced team. On my side, I have a tentacled young girl, an AI that seems to be temporarily disabled from the shock, and me, a (temporary, I hope) invalid.

Rei's eyes widen in surprise when she sees me, but I don't have enough control over my vocal cords to greet her right now.

Ah, I suppose this is where we part ways?

You are not leaving me here.

But-

No buts. Listen to my instructions and we'll all get out of here alive.

I can feel her grudgingly accepting my words – she seems too confused to know what she should do in this situation either. If I want to escape, I'll need to guide and strengthen her, at least until my own strength returns. The Second Hierarch begins to approach while calling out to the Messenger, gently stepping around the prone bodies of the cultists; they seem to be either unconscious or dead.

We need to take down the wizard first.

Who's the wizard?

That old guy, coming towards you. Reach out a tendril gently and slowly, stretch it towards him .

She does so – obediently, how cute – and waits. The Second Hierarch stops, puzzled. Concentrating, I force my throat to work. Control is gradually returning to me. I croak out what I have to say to the Second Hierarch, my eyes gazing blankly into his.

“Your... Messenger... greets you...”

“What?” There is an expression of bewilderment on his face. “I don't understand.” What an irritating idiot. So this is the quality of the cult's second-highest ranking officials? If I had use of my body, I would crush him like an ant, but I would just have to leave it to the Gieloth for now. Ah, this is an irritating situation. I feel the Gieloth recoil as the force of my bloodlust hits her. Damn, it looks like my self-control is slipping at all the wrong moments.

Don't get distracted. Get ready to take him down.

I force out even more words. “Touch... alike... touch... blessing...” His eyes gleam instantly – as I expected, anyone that high up in the cult has a stupid lust for power. The old man works out the words in his mind quickly, and sends out tendrils of his own, hoping for the 'blessing'. He wasn't watching when his compatriot was killed, and now he'll suffer the same fate.

Oh, so that's what you were after.

You know what to do.

Leave it to me!

In the next instant, the Second Hierarch is convulsing on the ground as the Gieloth retakes what is hers – this time, his end is considerably more brutal, as the tendrils that were once his turn on him while still inside his body, eating him up from the inside. The wizard is down. As the black strands burst forth from every orifice of his, I wonder if she could have done the same to me...

“Senya!” Rei bounds towards us, wrapped in nothing but a large piece of cloth. What a strange time to suddenly be concerned for modesty. The Gieloth sends out her tendrils, but Rei somehow catches and crushes them with only her bare hands, tearing them into pieces as she keeps moving towards us.

Don't panic! You're too spread out! I bark at the Messenger. Focus on keeping her away. What else can you do right now?

I-I got it! She's panicking, despite what I told her to do. To her credit, she manages to compose herself enough to make her attacks more carefully, slowing down Rei's advance.

I can use fire, I think? And move things with my mind. I'm all out of pheromones.

Hurl that old wizard's body at her right now. Then-

The withered corpse of the Second Hierarch is sent flying at Rei, who bats it away without a second thought. That leaves her open to the tendrils flanking her – no matter how fast and strong she is, I have the advantage of telling the Gieloth where to sneak her tentacles to lie in ambush. The tendrils strike – and are promptly intercepted by Rei's own moments before her limbs are pierced. She seems just as surprised as I am; it appears to be an automatic response, but this too works in my favour.

Now!

The Gieloth doesn't need me to tell it twice, as the moment contact is made, Rei's tendrils recognize their original core. She screams in pain as the tendrils are ripped from her, and the cult's Messiah collapses helpless to the ground, much like I did.

I thought you would do the same thing you did to the old man.

I think I remember... she was kind.

Even if I wanted to, it probably doesn't do me any good to kill Rei here. Besides, Keiko is already running to her side. The Messenger doesn't need no further prompting, wrapping me up again and running out the door. The climb up the winding stairs is arduous and painful, but halfway through I regain enough motor capability to walk by myself. Once we are out in the compound, the child runs out barefoot into the yard, laughing happily.

Finally! Thank you so much!

You were going to leave me back there, I reply acidly, but she's too happy to take it to heart.

“Master!” shouts a worried Yua, finally back in contact.

“Welcome back.” I croak. “I've missed that form of address. Sorry, Yua, but there's someone else demanding my attention right now.”

Rei has recovered and caught up, much faster than I expected. I suppose she is just stronger – the wounds on her body left from the Gieloth's attacks have all but vanished, while I'm still bleeding from where the tendrils were ripped from my body.

“Hey there, sis.” I smile weakly.

The Gieloth runs behind me, peeking out from the side. I can feel her getting ready to attack.

“Where are you bringing the Messenger?” asks Rei.

“I'm not sure.” I shrug. “She's claiming child abuse, so I'm thinking the cult has lost its custodial rights.”

Rei sighs, closing her eyes.

“I suppose so. She will be better off this way... you heard her voice, right? I haven't heard her for years. Things are a bit strange with the Apostles right now.”

“Even more so than they usually are? You don't usually torture those who you think have betrayed you in that manner, eh?” My words come out more strongly than I had expected. The sight of the torsos in the temple's depths still lingers with me.

“I don't like it any more than you do, but I don't have a choice.” Rei bites her lower lip, an expression of guilt on her face.

“You have a choice. I chose my own path, didn't I?” I still don't remember what happened, but I'm pretty sure a vague statement like that would mean something to her.

“Yes, you did.” she nods. “But you're strong. I'm not like you.”

“Who's the one that's half dead?” I laugh. She's conflicted. One more push and her mental defenses will fall. If I should be so lucky...

“Incoming frames!” warns Yua.

Great. This day just keeps getting better and better.

A rain of metal crashes all about us as the CFs land – twelve white-painted Onuris mechs. I recognize the markings. White Fang. A voice booms from the lead frame, a customized affair with a giant Higashi blade replica strapped to its side.

“Hoshikawa Senya. We must thank you, no matter how it disgusts me, for leading us here.”

I haven't heard that voice in a while – it is Erika's brother, Erec. He sounds like he wants nothing more than to gut me.

“Now that your purpose is over...”

The frame aims its rifle at me. On foot, staring down a giant barrel is an unnerving matter. To make things worse, I don't have my tendrils anymore.

“He has always been bereft of purpose, but it amuses me to observe his struggles, for now. Stay your hand.”

A voice rings out, its owner stepping forth from between the frame's legs.

“Shulgi.” I growl. When had he come here? With the frames? Or...

The Gieloth's small hand tightens over my arm.

This man... is bad news. He's the enemy.

You don't need to tell me that.

“I have no use for you right now, Senya, so stand aside.” he grins. “I'm here to talk to people that are a bit more capable than you are.” His single eye flicks towards Rei.

“Your mother is quite displeased at your plans, young Rei. The assault is underway, and hundreds of thousands of people who believe in you are dying in your name even now... yet here you are, enjoying a northern vacation.” Shulgi steps closer to her, not even sparing me a glance.

“You should have been out of Higashi with the Messenger by now.”

“The rituals-”

“-are bullshit to feed the cultists' faith,” Shulgi says frankly. “You know that yourself. What is the purpose for the delay?”

Her eyes shift towards me, just for the slightest moment, but Shulgi manages to catch it.

“I see.” He points his gaze, first at me, then at the Messenger, who seems utterly frightened of him as her tanned face has turned pale with terror. “You have managed to surprise me once again,” he murmurs after some time, his eyes fixed on the child. Finally, he turns back towards the White Fang.

“Vaporize the child. Capture the Messiah.”

“What about Hoshikawa?” asks Erec, clearly eager to get a shot at me.

Shulgi sneers. “If he is stupid enough to linger around, he's clearly too stupid to be my puppet. Kill him if he gets in the way.”

There's a gust of wind behind me. I turn around, only to see Rei leaping high into the air with a single jump. She somehow changes her trajectory in mid-air, kicking off empty air and charging straight at the nearest frame. Her small body manages to impact it with enough momentum to knock it off balance. There is a flash of light as the air grows hotter – a sword forms, created out of nothingness, in her hand. Rei stabs it into the cockpit, cutting out an entrance for herself. Where did she learn how to do that? It looks like she was holding back in the temple. As the dead Dunamis pilot tumbles to the ground, her newly hijacked frame ducks a swing from the mech next to it and counters. It is sent crashing to the ground, and Rei steps in between me and the rest of the mercenaries. She levels the frame's rifle at Shulgi, the tip of the barrel dwarfing his body. The White Fangs begin to move, but Shulgi holds up a hand, halting them in their tracks.

“Is this your answer?” He appears amused. “If you wish to fight me, I don't see a reason to refuse. The end result will be the same – you will be dragged, naked and broken, before your mother.” His attention – and that of the mercenaries – is entirely on Rei now.

A. This is the best time to escape. I run. As he said, it'd be stupid for me to linger around here – especially when I'm in a weakened state. Someone that composed when facing a giant robot on foot is clearly quite strong. If this was a game, he'd probably qualify as a final boss. I don't think my level is high enough for such a fight yet.

B. I can hijack the other fallen frame if I act quickly, to back Rei up. If we work together, I'm confident we can find a way to fight Shulgi; I just need one good chance to cut him apart with my ability. Besides, I need to take this chance to truly understand what he is capable of, if I'm going to find a way out from his manipulations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom