Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Blackguards Preview at PC Gamer - a tactical, turn-based RPG from Daedalic

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I don't have time to play all these games, wtf. I guess the bar needs to be set higher soon. Hexagons and turn-based will be just a "start".

Eh we still have to strike off quite a few classics needing sequels/updates before we can call it mission complete:

Anachronox
Azrael's Tear
Outcast
Tie Fighter
Midwinter
Darklands

These or games like these are just for starters.

Besides, most of the games being made aren't going to be out for ages, years even. It all looks like there's a huge cascade of them, but release will be staggered over a long time.
Well, Conquistador is up for release, Shadowrun Returns, Chaos Chronicles ("early 2013") then Blackguards/Divinity ("six month from completion"), Wasteland 2 later this year.
And then who knows who's gonna come out of the closet with "old school" RPG. Let's not forget Legend Of Grimrock and Might and Magic X.

Oh, and then there might be some surprise vaporware releases like AoD and KoTC "THE INCLINE" II. Great time, we live in.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
KotC II is not coming anytime soon. He is working on his RTS first. Have to wait till that is finished. I wish he would just fucking do a KS for KotC II. :(

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
All the comments are very pro turn based except for this little gem:

PCGamer101+101more says:

06:13am March 29 2013

Very cool looking, but why 15 year old turn based technology? :(

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
KotC II is not coming anytime soon. He is working on his RTS first. Have to wait till that is finished. I wish he would just fucking do a KS for KotC II. :(

The fuck even got into him that he decided to make an RTS, even though KotC already has a solid fanbase and he could re-use many assets and most of the code? :retarded:

ceics

Novice
Patron
Stop teh old school rpgs come-back shit! No more moneys! :keepmymoney:

Also I won't rest till I get proper Jagged Alliance KS campaign or something, spiritual successor or not.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

The fuck even got into him that he decided to make an RTS, even though KotC already has a solid fanbase and he could re-use many assets and most of the code? :retarded:

IIRC He believes the RTS will more than likely "sell well" and would help fund KotC II, because sales of KotC were abysmal. Kind of like Gareth dropping his cRPG to make some income first with his System Crash Collectible Card Video Game. Which I am hoping will do well. <3

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Hmm, he could do an expansion pack or two which would be way cheaper in production costs and bring in some much-needed funding.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
An expansion pack for a game that had terrible sales? It probably did not sell enough to even warrant spending time on an expansion (this would be my guess).

Indranys

Savant
Stop teh old school rpgs come-back shit! No more moneys! :keepmymoney:

Also I won't rest till I get proper Jagged Alliance KS campaign or something, spiritual successor or not.

I'm with you bro.
Anytime, anywhere.

A few Jagged Alliance clones/supposedly sequels but all of them are shit or Russian vaporware.
This heresy should be stopped at all cost!

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012

He used procedural programming style for KotC and wanted to switch to object-oriented for the sequel, which makes a lot of sense. So no code reusing (no objections, can't be done). And i guess assets were the main problem with sales (damn graphic whores). Bottom line - he fucked up the code a bit, so major rewrites will be necessary. That is why he writes a new engine.
But yeah, i would've loved half a dozen games with the same look, adding new classes on the way.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
First thing I'd do in his place were to make a couple of expansions or modules, maybe with a bit better storywriting but keeping the focus on good encounters like in the first half of KotC. Make some guaranteed money with little effort from everyone who bought KotC and wants more. Also go and spread the word on RPG forums, it is a very obscure game and there is a much larger audience for it who'd buy it if they knew of it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Sounds interesting...

"Being an outcast, your party of up to seven will be assembled from a group of degenerates—a lecherous, drunk wizard, a rogue with a drug problem, a dwarf with anger management issues, and so on."

Party sounds nice :D"

L0L This is basically a typical BIO game aprty.. yet, Codex makes fun of them for it. I mean, a dwarf with anger managment issues? Wow... That's NEW and ORIGINAL.

But, at least.. there are dwarves.. :)

Oarfish

Prophet
He used procedural programming style for KotC and wanted to switch to object-oriented for the sequel, which makes a lot of sense. So no code reusing (no objections, can't be done).

Object orientation has bugger all inherent reusability over procedural code (see ..libc). Sounds like he just fucked up.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Whatever happened to old school rpg's like Mass Effect, man?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not that I'm complaining but it is pretty funny to see all of these studios rush to put out turn based games now. EA will be next!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Actually I'd love to see some kickstarters of Elder Scrolls like RPGs, or generally first/third person action RPGs.
Cause then we could finally see some games in the subgenre that are actually done right.

Or the devs just promise to include lots of homosex to get millions of biodrone pledges. Or claim the game is designed by a little girl or something like that. But then again, nobody comes up with scams that are that obvious, right? Right?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The screenshot is really good. Kudos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom