Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #42: Chris Avellone's Arcanum Let's Play Begins

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura; Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

In fulfillment of the pledgers' wishes, Obsidian Entertainment's Chris Avellone has started his Let's Play of Arcanum. The format is video, and the first part, about an hour long, is now up on YouTube:

At the beginning of the video he thanks the Codex for gifting him a GOG.com copy of the game. And he's playing it without Drog's unofficial patch.

Also the resolution is too low.

Good luck with the game, Chris.

Update: This week's Project Eternity Kickstarter update announces the LP officially.

deuxhero

Arcane
I really liked the bit where MCA mentioned Obsidian's dialog formatting. I look forward to more comments about design.

Xavier0889

Learned
Every half-something is really stupid. I hate both half elves and half orcs.

Gruia

Educated
exactly. no fun, no wits, no nothing. I'm really not enjoying this. And he seems to have some ego

Shadenuat

Arcane
Did he just equip his own robe into starting shopkeeper's --... I did't even know you could do that.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I enjoyed it, I don't know why. I think I've been inducted into the MCA Kodex Kult. He's a bit OCD with looting, and I was raging when he walked around in circles three times around that rock, whilst completely missing the cave entrance to the north. It should be interesting once he gets to dialogue though, I enjoy his commentary when he's not chronic looting and walking in circles.

I also really wish he'd learn more about the interface before diving in. Automap feature isn't hard to find.

I laughed when his equipment broke, and when he equipped the shopkeeper.

Black

Arcane
My inner powegamer felt pretty uncomfortable watching this but his commentary is good.
He should consider becoming a youtube sensation like pewdiepie:troll:

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
It's always fun to watch people play Arcanum for the first time, not less so when it's MCA. I'm looking forward to his reactions when he gets into the meat of the game. (And BMC for different reasons.)

Black

Arcane
Watching him in the Dredge would also be fun but with his sick DIPLOMATIC skills he'll probably be able to avoid it.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well he does say that it's a deliberate choice to play without patches so he can compare with another playthrough. Hope he takes on board modability, bugs, and good/bad aspects of fan(drog) mod. Such things can be useful when designing his own games.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Awesome! I hope he has persistence to play through the entire thing - and that future videos have better resolution than 360p. :)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope he quits when he reaches the Black Mountain Clan mines. I never played past them, so I can't follow the LP further than than anyway, due to spoilers.

Some day I will finish Arcanum.

Yeah....

Seerix

Arbiter
It's very badly encoded 360p, I downloaded it in MP4 to watch it with some sharpening filters and it's like only 125 megabytes and still blurry if I set window to movie's resolution.

EDIT: Very badly encoded, or just at very low quality because he can't afford to upload a gigabyte file. If the latter is the case, then he better ignore what voters wanted and just make more manageable pieces, dammit. :decline:

EG

Nullified
Oh, now that was entertaining.

Aside from the resolution.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
chris avellone hates elves too! :love:

I also liked his hate of half-elves. To paraphrase him: "Half-elves are something that D&D must one day answer for. Dragonlance really through things off."

Not that I disagree with him on the elf hate or anything, but half-elves are tolkiens doing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom