Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Zwist

Learned
B Now I am interested who unca is.
What to do with the data is something we will decide upon after we shared it.
E. would have been the most fun, and ridiculously reckless.

ScubaV

Prophet
I don't see how F is substantially different from B, but if we can make use of the information for ourselves, let's do it.

F

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You'll continue to work with Kyrie on the investigation. Using the information for yourself takes time; certainly it's something that'll bear fruit only after a time skip. I can't promise that the uncle won't do something to render the info less useful for your personal gain by the time you can capitalize on it, though the ISC definitely will. It does mean, however, that you'll automatically be working on expanding your connections in the background while the main narrative plods along should you pick D or Smashing Axe's F.

The cult infodump is coming out before I do the next update.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A. Ask Kyrie to hand over the information to the ISC's board of directors. Their actions might just unwittingly stop Relius's plans from coming to fruition without us having to do any more dangerous stunts.
B. Give the data to Erika's uncle, seeking his advice. If he already knows that I have Relius's data, I might as well be at his mercy should he decide to tell on me. At least if I meet with him I can have a better gauge of his character.
C. Give the information to both Erika's uncle and the ISC. Why not do both? With any luck I will be able to get even more information from both sides, as well as put a wrench into Relius's plot while I'm at it.
D. I will keep the data private for now. With time I can use the information and contacts inside to build a proper network of my own, amassing power to myself. Whatever Relius has got planned I can handle without needing to seek outside help – already I have gotten another lead in the form of Julius Gallardo.
E. Fuck it, all his personal information, including the photographs he took and the dead girl I found in the bathtub, is going on the internet. Let's see how you like the court of public opinion, you smarmy murderer.

A makes Kyrie a target. He'll find out it was her just like he did when she asked questions about him. B is unknown - really though, guys, Shulgi isn't everyone. C still makes Kyrie a target for captain murder. D doesn't accomplish anything immediately. E makes us a target for everyone (you think those politicians are going to like us leaking that they were being blackmailed?) and probably will just be looked at as crazy rumors with no proof.

D looks like the best bet, but I get the feeling that it may be a time-waster. We need to take this guy down.

F

Esquilax

Arcane
I disagree with your take on D, Lambchop19. I feel that in this situation, the advantage that we have is that we can consolidate our power because we moved in on Relius early. He was making some sort of plot involving the Emperor scheduled for two months time, so in this situation, we can afford to wait and build up because we have the advantage of anonymity because we managed to infiltrate successfully. Really, look at my voting history: I've always been in favour of striking while the iron is hot, but this is time to consolidate and leverage the information we've gained to our advantage.

D

GreyViper

Prophet
F I agree this kid can do so much more with his high IQ and to build our own personal power network would be first step in right direction.

Baltika9

Arcane
I feel that in this situation, the advantage that we have is that we can consolidate our power because we moved in on Relius early. He was making some sort of plot involving the Emperor scheduled for two months time, so in this situation, we can afford to wait and build up because we have the advantage of anonymity because we managed to infiltrate successfully.
Leverage it, yes, and making friends is a great way to do that: I'm not expecting this guy to be Shulgi (although it would be pretty sweet), but he sounds like a smart bloke and besides, we need his "niece" to teach us self-defense/swordfighting. Since she needs his permission, telling him to go stuck it isn't the best way to do that.
Edit: 'sides, someone's got to keep that clan off our backs.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Whoops, forgot to put in the part where Erika says she got permission to join the club in the update. She will do so whether or not you give the data to Uncle Shulgi.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Intermission: The Apostles of Hiranyagarbha

The Apostles of Hiranyagarbha (Indus: हिरण्यगर्भ : trans. Golden Womb) are a religious organization operating mainly in Higashi and the Indus Confederation. Their core tenets are a belief in reincarnation and communion with God. The Apostles are a successor group of the Tenchishinri (Higashi: 天地真理 trans. Truth of Heaven and Earth) cult. Activity of the organization is highly restricted and monitored by authorities worldwide since the Shangjing Incident in 4007 A.C.

Background

The Apostles of Hiranyagarbha were founded in 4007 A.C. as a more moderate offshoot of the Tenchishinri. The founding leader of the Apostles is the Great Mother Saeko Wakayama, a Higashi citizen that was formerly a high ranking member in the inner circle of the Tenchishinri.

Beliefs

The Apostles of Hiranyagarbha believe that all life is interconnected and the energy of life flows from one being to another at every moment. To them, even inanimate objects such as rocks contain life energy, though in far lesser quantities than actual organisms. The primary message of their creed is that by diverting this life energy in certain ways, believers will be able to gain health, wisdom and prosperity. The ability to gather life energy is accrued within the souls of the believers, and higher ranking members have more memories of their past reincarnations unlocked by the Great Mother, granting them more power.

Another aspect of their beliefs, albeit a more controversial one carried over from the Tenchishinri, revolves around communion with God, who they refer to as feminine. They believe that God who lives outside the universe has turned Her ears away from the world, and to attract Her attention they must create God within this universe. The Golden Womb refers to the universe as egg and nurturer. By performing rituals to gather life energy, the Great Mother will transform her womb into a suitable receptacle for God and give birth to Her. The resulting child will attain divine transcendence, at the same time both inside and outside the universe. It is prophesized that after an Age of Strife, she will bring salvation to humanity.

The rituals of the Apostles commonly involve the use of Inanna flowers, which they deem to be a compound that allows them to get closer to God. Though the claimed hallucinogenic properties of Inanna flowers have yet to be proven, it has not stopped the Apostles from coming into conflict with the Imperial Shinar Corporation over ownership of the flowers.

Organization & Influence

The organization is divided into a hierarchy of nine levels. At the top resides the Great Mother. She is aided by a council of nine high priests, who make up the second level and are said to be in charge of the day-to-day administration of the Apostles. Eighty one priests form the third level and usually serve as spokespersons for the organization. The total members of the organization, as well as the amount of devotees at each subsequent level are unknown.

The organization runs several foundations worldwide, including the Atman Foundation and the Golden Charity groups. These foundations have invested plenty of resources into helping the poor and advancing scientific research, as well as becoming a significant lobbying force in Higashi, the Indus Confederation and the United Nations of Shulgiland.

Although the Apostles’ activities are monitored, their foundations do not fall under the same restrictions.

Controversy

As a branch group that was formed shortly after the Shangjing Incident, some suspicion has fallen upon them after the Tenchishinri became defunct in the aftermath of that event. Some surviving members of the Tenchishinri that were not co-opted by the Apostles have denounced the successor group in public, accusing the Great Mother of manipulating the Tenchishinri. Investigations by the authorities have produced nothing that can directly relate the Apostles to the incident.

Allegations of orgiastic rituals and child abuse have been made against the Apostles over the years. In 4011 A.C., these accusations became the focus of the award-winning documentary Inside the Womb by noted investigative journalist and director Kade Payson, culminating in a series of worldwide crackdowns on the Apostles in 4012 A.C. Six priests of the third level were arrested for counts of child abuse, and the organization launched a successful information campaign portraying those priests as deviants and not representatives of the Apostles.

m4davis

Scholar
I personally hope ean isn't hallucinogenic and dont think its likely considering hes been used as a medicine before with no such effects recorded also how conscious is ean as the flowers if at all if he is conscious can he just watch or could he theoretically change the flowers and maybe the tree to have different properties sorry if its a stupid question (which it most likely is) but I find my self curious none the less

Baltika9

Arcane
...so, they're militant hippies?

And my theory about Shulgi being stoned on Innana flowers when naming the KWA was correct. Huh, funny how that works out.

Bloodshifter

Educated
Descendants of Gieloth they are what's left of the Tree Hybrids Consuming Souls? Sound Familiar people? The Presence of 'her' that is up in the air since we don't know who her is since we ingored China...

Whelp its not Shulgi its them Chinese Turds also The 'Organization' of Erika's 'Clan' is oddly Familiar as well. Maybe *deleted*

Baltika9

Arcane
What really annoys me is that Ean's legacy has been hijacked: Innana (who doesn't exist) got the flowers that bring life to dead soil and this "Goddess" got Ean's rightful place in worship (protector-spirit of the Earth= Ean). What's worse, Shulgi got a continent named after him (Diogenes almost did; I'm pretty sure treave will give the first mech the designation "Diogenes" anyway; and speaking of Shulgiland, since he could pull that one off, why not christen some other place with Ean's name?) and our bro got relegated to decorations and history books.
Unless they at least rename the planet "Ean's left nut" then we can take this as definite proof that nice guys do indeed finish last.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Shulgi's getting old, might be getting bored with life. I'd wager he's content with a back-row role. At most, he'll provide some advice and then let the young'uns do all the running and talking.

At least that's the impression I get from treaves updates.

Baltika9

Arcane
Then I suppose we'll need to find a way to kick his ass into gear, maybe pulling another Dio will do the trick (remind him that he can run all he wants, but he can't hide from this job. At least not until he resurrects Ean, so it's a win-win for us really:smug:) ;or breaking the rationalist perception of this world thereby forcing him to act to avert disaster.

Edit: then again, if Ean still has his consciousness, he's either revising the Kama Sutra or studying the secrets of existence; that or Treebeard-ing the time away. And we can't, in good conscience, disturb such productive activities.

Zwist

Learned
Wouldn't it be hilarious if were the result of the Golden Womb trying to create their goddess?
And even more fun if they actually succeeded in extracting the *female* soul from the flowers?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Aphrodite suffered the same fate as Athena. Ares is missing, presumed dead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom