Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Baltika9

Arcane
I suppose we might be able to escape, but I very much doubt that we'll be able to do so without either losing the data we've got or getting fucked up in the process badly. I have no idea how we could stall this guard in hopes that Kyrie comes to our rescue.
Only in this case, option A may lead to a situation where we will lose our evidence and be put in a situation of "obey or die" before Relius and the Cult (or sacrificed; or picked as their Chosen One and get pushed into doing things that we know nothing about and will culminate in complete disaster). Because the guy that is taking us in would rather kill us than anything else and he won't be interested in our stories (It is even possible that he will assume that we killed the girl): he already considers us guilty.
On the other hand, dropping Erika's name may help us out here and give some lenience. But I still would rather save the evidence and learn all we can about these cults, apostles and who they are serving and for whom the Golden Womb is intended. And then act according to the situation: we can go full retard KAYOSS at any time, but once we do there is no going back.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah. B involves using your ability and fleeing... or at least attempting to. Looking back at the choices made so far, there's one other variable that can come into play that influences how successful you are in escaping. Though you guys already cleared the first hurdle by not getting the cops to bring in the delinquents. That would've caused Relius to return early.

So what's the other variable, guys? I'm inclined to think it's our skill choice: we've opted to improve our cognitive abilities rather than our physical abilities, and I don't see how our meager powers are going to help us escape. If not that, then it might be the fact that we searched the room instead of Kyrie. Despite what Smashing Axe says, this is a situation where you would need physical abilities more than smarts.

I suppose we might be able to escape, but I very much doubt that we'll be able to do so without either losing the data we've got or getting fucked up in the process badly. I have no idea how we could stall this guard in hopes that Kyrie comes to our rescue.
With our ability active we were able to dodge Erika effectively until our seven minutes ran out, unless this guy is superior to her in skill, we should have enough precognition/awareness to flee whilst avoiding his blows. At least I hope so.

The question is, can going cold aid us in swordpoint diplomacy?

TOME

Cuckmaster General
B

And have Yua work her magic on the hotel's security cameras.

Baltika9

Arcane

Zwist

Learned
Ah well. Looks like we are going to run.
At least yell something corny, like "smell you later". Because he is.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Won't be able to update today, too many dating sims on my backlog to clear. Perhaps if I get it out of my system...

Well, as for the variable I mentioned, it's actually the decision where you choose to find Erika (for a bunch of anime haters you guys certainly don't shy away from making the most anime choices), her uncle, or neither. Meeting the uncle would've given you an advantage over Relius and the Dunamis group had A won in this update. Erika, on the other hand, will appear and interfere in the B-choice pursuit if you attempted to befriend her.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
So... We made the right decision given our previous choices?

Or she goes out of her way to fuck us up because we tried to befriend her.

Uh. Shit.

Baltika9

Arcane
(for a bunch of anime haters you guys certainly don't shy away from making the most anime choices)
As they say, "when in Rome..." I just figured if we survive long enough maybe we'll get into a position to create Leman Russ tanks and power armor instead of giant mechas.
Fixed it for ya (I honestly wouldn't be surprised by this point).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So... We made the right decision given our previous choices?

Uh. Shit.

Well, running around the town with her clansman on your tail is bound to attract her attention, and I reckon stabbing you running you through with a sword is interfering with the pursuit in a way, as long as you still don't get caught...

I just figured if we survive long enough maybe we'll get into a position to create Leman Russ tanks and power armor instead of giant mechas.

Any more of this and we're getting power armour that docks with Leman Russ tanks, transforming them into giant mechas.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Fleeing the Grand Olympus

I crane my neck back a bit, leaning away from the point of the sword. Escape is the only thing on my mind right now. I try to remember how it feels like to call upon my power.

"Are you coming in quietly, or do you want to die?"

Track 19

The coldness washes over my brain, turning the world crisp and clear. Instantly, I understand that from his position, his posture and the length of his sword, I have a straightforward way out. Had he backed me into the wall things might have been different. I throw myself backwards, out of his range. Surprise registers for only a second on his face before he is after me. This is the second time I've went up against a superhuman with my ability. He is at least on par with Erika in terms of strength and speed, but his movements are more brutal and straightforward, without the flowing grace she exhibits. He swings the sword in a predictable arc. If he wields his blade that way, his center of gravity shifts in a manner like... so. Then, all I need to do is step... there.

I dodge his next swing with an erratic move, forcing him to recover in an awkward position. I don't give him the chance. Pushing off against the carpeted floor, I ram into him, knocking the swordsman to the ground easily due to his loss of balance. I would have to find a way to escape before he gets up. Not only am I operating on a time limit, I don't have the speed to escape him successfully even if I sprint down the corridor. Every second I waste confronting him directly is a second I could use getting closer to the ground floor.

The only way out is the balcony. I run out on it and climb onto the stone railing. The building opposite is more than fifteen meters away - I would not be able to reach it. The man is already back on his feet. No time to really think now; I'll do it as I fall. I jump.

With my heightened senses I pick out a suitable column, one of many that decorated the walls of the hotel. My tendrils shoot out, their hardened tips piercing the stone. They won't hold for long, but still they provide enough purchase for me to swing from my tendrils. I go feet first through the fifth floor balcony, knocking over an unattended dish trolley as I do so. The tendrils have already crumbled by the time I'm back to my feet, all evidence of their existence fading into thin air.

I hold my breath, waiting, my feet preparing to spring.

His feet appear first. As I expected, he did not have the patience to go after me from the stairs, instead relying on his superior physical abilities to follow me. Already I'm running at him. The man starts to drop down onto the parapet, his arms still raised out of sight together with his sword. I throw my entire body at him right as his toes touch the stone. Together we topple off the balcony. I kick at the surprised swordsman and stretch out my hand, anchoring my tendrils again into the stone to arrest my momentum. This time I swing right into a wall. The ground floor of the hotel is significantly taller than the other floors. The impact crushes my arm against my body. I block out the pain and release the tendrils, allowing myself to drop to the pavement.

There's about twenty metres between me and the lobby's entrance, where Kyrie is waiting. Unfortunately we didn't prepare a getaway vehicle – not that either of us are licensed to drive – and running to meet her would probably just get her into trouble. If I flee by myself she has room to explain away her presence here. I'm also not sure the Dunamis would not take her in too if I tried to get her to help me. Letting Relius find out about the full extent of her involvement would be bad, both for her and for me.

The swordsman is staggering to his feet – the five-storey fall did quite a number on him. He had hit the ground first and attracted the attention of many passersby, allowing me to escape notice. I don't linger around to taunt him while he recovers, dashing into a nearby alleyway. The dark does nothing to hinder my vision, but the smell rocks my nose hard.

“Yua!”

“Yes, Master?”

“Directions, now!”

Yua understands intuitively where I want to go without my saying so. There is a brief buzzing noise, and then she begins to speak to me, telling me where to go. I follow her instructions, going left, right, up the next of stairs, right again, running through the maze of alleys. My legs begin to give up on me just as my time is about to run out, but I'm almost there. Thanks to my desperation, I seem to have pushed myself past my limits... by my count it has been seven minutes and sixteen seconds. It's too bad I don't have time to celebrate my new record. I hear a pair of footsteps behind me and another person running along the rooftops.

Two?

A figure lands in front of me, a shining arc of metal in its hand. At the same time, a burst of fuzziness swallows me. I lose my focus and trip. In the haze, I dimly feel something push through my chest. The metal feels cold and sharp.

Track 20

Ah, I was so close...

“Lady Erika? What are you doing here?” It is the man that had been chasing me.

“He is my prey. I have been tracking him for a week.” The voice comes from my front, from the person that had run me through.

Erika? I can't really see anything right now, but gradually my sight begins to recover.

“Lady Erika, this cultist was caught near our employer's room. If you would just leave him to us -”

“This prey is mine.” Her voice is almost emotionless, but not in the same way I am used to hearing her. This time it is authoritative, a bland statement of fact that matters can be no other way. Even on the verge of fainting, I can feel bloodlust belying her words, daring the man to challenge her.

He does not.

“Very well... but your brother will hear about your interference in the clan's affairs, my Lady. For your own sake I hope he will be lenient.”

I hear no more, as then Erika's sword leaves my chest and the cold, hard ground rises up to meet me.

Track 8

“Master!”

Yua's worried, teary face is the first thing I see when I wake up. The bed feels familiar... I must be at home. There is bright light shining in from the translucent walls. I seem to have slept away the night. I try to get up, but a piercing pain in my chest forces me back down. My head is still fuzzy from over-exerting my powers last night, but other than that and my wound, the rest of my body appears to be fine. My stamina and endurance are still increasing; just a month before a bout of running like that would leave me terribly sore in the morning.

“I can't believe this.” Kyrie walks into the room, a frown creasing her face. She is still in the dress she wore last night.

I can't believe it either. Why was she here? With some trouble, I manage to get up into a sitting position.

“Hm. You have that look on your face. Why am I here?” She leans over and flicks my forehead. “That's because a certain idiot didn't tell me and went running off by himself last night.”

“Sorry, but I thought it was necessary to keep you away from any attention. By the way, is my personal drive secure?”

“The first thing you ask for when you wake up is the data. Typical,” mutters the disgruntled princess. She walks over to my desk and picks up the drive. “By the way, Anna managed to cover up our retreat from the hotel. The staff at the Grand Olympus will never notice that the security feeds for yesterday is now a rerun pieced together from the past week.”

“Perfect. All that trouble wasn't wasted. I guess I do owe Anna one now,” I chuckle, taking the drive from her. “Did you bring me back?”

“No, it wasn't me. I just got here this morning.”

“Ms. Erika brought you back, Master.” said Yua.

“Ah... She was responsible for this.” I gesture to my chest.

“That was a pretty neat thrust, Master. It didn't hit your heart and slipped neatly between the lungs without cutting anything important. It should heal pretty quickly.”

I raise my eyebrows, impressed. I had no idea that was even possible, given the anatomy of the human body and the shape of a sword. Perhaps I should try to learn a thing or two from her. I grunt as I get up, clutching my chest. Taking the time to catch a few deep breaths, I shuffle over to the computer slowly as Kyrie watches impassively.

“Where is she now?”

“She's eating sandwiches downstairs, Master. Should I call her?”

I shake my head, plugging the drive in. “Maybe later. For now, it's time to check the fruit of our labours. Play it, Yua.”

“Aye-aye, Master!”

Track 16

The results are less than inspiring. There are plenty of financial records, evidence that he has been accruing more power in the ISC, and also proof that he has engaged in blackmail of politicians all over the world.

“That's... well, I think everyone on the board of directors would be guilty of this.” remarked Kyrie disappointedly.

“Is there nothing we can use?”

“I suppose... well, just by releasing these records the other directors will converge on him like a swarm of piranhas, eager to take him down. It's not a given that they'll succeed, but this gives them plenty of ways to try.”

I recall that Relius had proposed to Kyrie in order to overcome the other pillars of the ISC. I look at her, opening my mouth to speak, but she shakes her head.

“I won't be able to gain anything out of this just yet. The old bastards don't actually need this information, so they're not likely to trade me any useful favours for giving the data to them. They're too secure in their power right now to risk giving me any undue influence. It would be a bad deal, although it might probably stop whatever Relius is planning.”

That is the crux of the matter, isn't it? Relius's plot. None of the information I had obtained confirmed his plans in Olympia. There were plenty of writings from the Apostles of Hiranyagarbha detailing their beliefs and their rituals, and certainly some evidence indicating that Relius might be a believer, but there is no “RELIUS IS COBBLING TOGETHER EVIL FISHMEN” file that simply spelled out what he hoped to achieve here.

“Wait, go back to that file.” Kyrie interjected, asking to look at one of the documents. I comply, bringing up the information.

“That date's familiar...”

“It's about two months from now.”

“Ah, that's it. My father is coming to visit the Academy at that time. We're having a big ceremony planned.”

I check the file again. It's a raw text file that had been pieced together from scrap data in his inbox. “He's corresponding with a Julius Gallardo when he mentions this date. Have you heard of him before?”

“Gallardo... Julius. Right, Julius. He's a student at the school.”

“You mean, our school?”

“Where else? He's the class representative of 4-A. You would have met him if... well.”

“Thank you.” I reply acidly. She has the good manners to be embarrassed about it, and does not respond. “It is suspicious that Relius is writing to a student at the academy about a date when your father is supposed to arrive. Maybe he plans to try something with monsters?”

“That would be a little too obvious, and my father is quite well guarded. Besides, there's still the mystery of why he would hire the Dunamis security group.”

“Speaking of which, how long are they staying, exactly?”

“If I'm not mistaken, their stay has been booked for another two months... ah.”

“It seems too convenient to be a coincidence.” It seems that everywhere I turn, more questions pop up. I'm probably in over my head here... perhaps I should just call it a day and stop this probing.

“Hey.” Erika pops her head into the room. I turn off the screens. Though she seems to have saved my life, I'm not exactly sure if I should trust her fully.

“Ms. Erika, did you enjoy the sandwiches?” Yua hovers over to Erika, who is wiping her mouth.

“Yes, thank you very much. They were delicious.” She nods. “Senya, there is something I need to tell you. I forgot because of the sandwiches.”

“Oh, right. What is it?”

“My uncle gave me permission to join your swordsmanship club.”

That's one obstacle down. I try not to look at Kyrie. "That's great! I suppose we can start the training soon. I'll need you to teach me how to fight with a sword."

"Oh, there's one more thing he told me. My uncle requested something from you."

I suppose I should try to comply in return for allowing Kyrie to join the club. “What does he need from me?”

“He says... I think, that he will give you advice if you bring to him a copy of the data you got from Engura. It's something to do with the clan.” Erika seems utterly uninterested, conveying the message with boredom.

“When did he tell you that?”

“Last night, after I carried you home.”

I had no recollections of being carried, and I'm not sure whether I should be glad about it or not. Still, what does her uncle want with Relius's data? Could it be a trap?

“Erika, what connections do you have with the Dunamis group?”

She shrugs. “My brother leads the clan.”

“And your uncle?”

“Uncle is unrelated to the clan. He just looks after me, that's all.”

That clears some of my suspicions, though I still can't be certain whether or not Erika's uncle is trustworthy...

A. Ask Kyrie to hand over the information to the ISC's board of directors. Their actions might just unwittingly stop Relius's plans from coming to fruition without us having to do any more dangerous stunts.

B. Give the data to Erika's uncle, seeking his advice. If he already knows that I have Relius's data, I might as well be at his mercy should he decide to tell on me. At least if I meet with him I can have a better gauge of his character.

C. Give the information to both Erika's uncle and the ISC. Why not do both? With any luck I will be able to get even more information from both sides, as well as put a wrench into Relius's plot while I'm at it.

D. I will keep the data private for now. With time I can use the information and contacts inside to build a proper network of my own, amassing power to myself. Whatever Relius has got planned I can handle without needing to seek outside help – already I have gotten another lead in the form of Julius Gallardo.

E. Fuck it, all his personal information, including the photographs he took and the dead girl I found in the bathtub, is going on the internet. Let's see how you like the court of public opinion, you smarmy murderer.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ruh-roh. Nice cut by her though. :salute: Not probable, but nice anyway.

Seems that Erika is playing nice. Befriending her was a good idea. And her uncle, well, if he wanted to take by force what we have, he would have had Erika carry us directly to him.
I might be foolish, but I trust him, at least somewhat.
As to the other board directors, they are a bigger unknown. My vote is
B,
though I'd be willing to flop in the face of convincing arguments.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Glad we got away successfully, nice update. I really like the length. Lots of options here, need to think on each one. I'm leaning towards B, but D and E are tempting too.

Uncle is Shulgi.

Edit: I really wish I could get B and D at the same time. Grr.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You currently have the advantage of anonymity as far as the Dunamis group and Relius are concerned. He can't be sure whoever snuck into his room wasn't a cultist, while Dunamis think you are some small-fry that Erika has been hunting on a whim. So you can consider the choices without the added factor of worrying whether they are trying to track you down right now. The anonymity won't last, but it'll likely remain until you make your next move.

edit: I'm open to ideas on how to rework the options, since you can make as many copies as you like. The basic choices still boil down to:
- give it to ISC
- give it to Erika's uncle
- keep it for yourself
- information needs to be free, yo!

If anyone wonders why we don't just give it to the Emperor... well, he'll just pass it on to the board of directors to let them handle it and then Erika won't be able to wrangle anything out of Papa Prez or the directors.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Okay, with the above in mind, I'd like to propose this.

F Give the data to Shulgi Erika's Uncle, given that he could have acquired the data anyway through force, it is likely that he bears me no ill will. After meeting with Erika's uncle and listening to his advice, use the data contained within to build my own personal power and network with the intention of thwarting Relius and expanding my role in the ISC.

Baltika9

Arcane
Smashing Axe's F: doesn't hurt to be specific. Shulgi or no, we need all the help we can get. In before "uncle" is Relius and Relius is Shulgi (who is Naram's reincarnation, who is in turn Ean's starchild).

Edit: treave, could you give me the run-down on this cult's beliefs and goals (conspiracyfaggotry demands it!); and should we keep the info for ourselves, am I correct in assuming that we'll work with Kyrie on building our own networks and figuring out the situation?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom