Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Besides that, B should give us some warning when we make stupid decisions. I'm B all the way baby.

Baltika9

Arcane
Besides that, B should give us some warning when we make stupid decisions. I'm B all the way baby.
Not necessarily, no. Cases in point: Olympus and Sphere Diplomacy (among many others). Our surroundings and bros were telling us that it was a bad idea, but we went ahead and did it anyway.

I said way too much on this already and I really fell like I'm:deadhorse:, but if you want to sacrifice our current opportunities (on which I wrote about four or five posts) for things that may or may not arise in the future, go ahead. And seeing the inclination to cyborg the shit out of our character, combined with his current character and the character shift of B, the results will be ugly in an inhuman way.

I hope Shulgi will be there to pick up the pieces.

treave, last question for now. I thought the students were granted a choice of specialization in their third year. Or did Kyrie screw us out of that too.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You are specialized into middle-management mediocrity now. Class A is where all the geniuses with an interest in science go. You can have your pick of classes in the next year if you do well in the end-term exams.

Baltika9

Arcane
You are specialized into middle-management mediocrity now. Class A is where all the geniuses with an interest in science go. You can have your pick of classes in the next year if you do well in the end-term exams.
:lol:And the only way out is to give Kyrie's pussy wet with an impressive performance. 'til whenever, then.

How much longer will the vote be open?

Zwist

Learned
Yes, B will put us in situations where we will be seriously underpowered, at least with the track record collected up till now(and looking at my track record, I'm not going to be helpfull either).
However A will have us do something stupid like charging a Mech head-on, and technology changed a bit since good ol' Eans times you recon?
Technology at the state it is at nets quite a lot more possibilities.
Yes A will make us better at manoeuvring any Mech intuitively in battle, killing stuff. Oh, and hitting things with our fists, always fun that one.
B however helps us tamper with things not ment to be tampered with. And I'm not even talking super-weapons here.
We got an A.I. without a proper body.
Better give her one, Frankenstein style.
Why chase princesses, when you can make one? I mean, keep focused on the important things here, will you?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Also guys, think about this. In this manner, we're not doing overtly supernatural stuff. I think it'd be good for us to not be too obvious.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Inheritor

Track 10

My brain feels like it has been submerged in a vat of liquid nitrogen. The biting cold clears my mind instantly. All my fear and hesitation is drawn into the void, leaving behind the simple logic of survival. I act at once, biting down hard on the worm that had thrusted its way into my mouth. The creature fills my mind with a surprised shriek. I take advantage of its distraction to free myself from its grasp, rolling a safe distance away. As I get to my feet, I notice that the world is different to me. I can see every detail of my enemy clearly in the dim moonlight; I can hear the dank core pulsating in its chest that serves as an artificial heart, pumping the vile fluids that keep the thing animated. I can smell the rotten stench vividly, leaving me under no impression that this is a living thing; I can feel the heat that does not run throughout its body, but only via certain channels.

This thing did not come together of its own accord. It is made by man, and as it tenses up to spring at me again, I can see a faint red haze stretching from its back and through my wall. The creature leaps. This time, I am ready for it. It lunges through the air in slow motion. The trajectory is laughably easy to predict. I know how fast my body can move and compensate by acting early. Before the monster lands, I have already darted under it. Judging from its poorly cobbled-together structure and repetitive behavior, it would not have the ability to correct its movements in the air. I take advantage of that and push upwards, hitting its lower body and altering its course. The creature flops over and smacks onto the floor. Wasting no time, I straddle it and grip the worm, pulling as hard as I can. It is most likely a weak point if it is usually hidden within the head.

My conjecture is correct, as the creature squirms and panics. Unfortunately, my hands aren’t strong enough to hold on to the wildly trashing thing. A disjointed arm sweeps towards my chest; I see it coming and only have just enough time to block with my arms. I feel the bones in my arms creak. This thing was strong; if it really wanted to kill me, it could have done so easily. Perhaps it wanted to do something else by shoving its eye down my throat, but I judge it too great a risk to find out what exactly.

Besides, it had a partner outside.

I stare down the creature, feeling neither excitement nor fear. If I had to defeat it, I couldn’t do so with my bare hands. I needed a weapon of some sort, but none of the things I have in the house right now have any potential to become an instant weapon. As I think, the monster moves towards me again.

Am I all out of options?

No, replies my cold mind.

That’s right… something tells me I could use it. I draw upon the cold and attempt to visualize it as a weapon. It responds.

A chill surges through my bloodstream and pools around my left hand. The cold had heeded my summons, but not in a way I expected. Small black tendrils pierce through my blood vessels and push their way out of my left wrist and palm in the dozens. They sway to my thoughts, glistening dimly in the moonlight, and I begin to imagine them in the shape of a spike. The tendrils twine together and form one in my palm with ease. I swing it up, timing it perfectly to catch the pouncing creature right in its fish jaw. I pull my hand away. The spike unravels into strings of tendrils as I do so, the ends having already anchored themselves in the monster’s head.

I had made these tendrils to do one thing, and one thing only. They begin to get to work immediately. The creature convulses as the heat is sucked away from it rapidly. It takes only three seconds to complete the procedure; understandable, given the lack of heat the creature had in the first place. The tendrils wither and drop off from my hand, their purpose fulfilled.

The line of red haze that had been tethered to the back of the creature slowly dissipated. It disappeared from the creature’s end, vanishing through my wall and out the other end. It was not something I would be able to see normally, though at any rate it was likely a leash or connection of some sorts. These things were definitely made by man, and there could be a master of some sorts controlling them. I could hear the thing’s partner moving outside my house with its squishy footsteps. It seems that it is pacing around the grounds… it could be undecided whether to enter.

This is the right time to take the initiative, while the enemy is unsure and I have the ability to hurt it. I walk towards the entrance of my house. The door was off its hinges, and in the doorway I could see the other creature. This was the one which had followed me last night. It was somewhat similar to the creature I had dispatched, but there were more joints on its arms, and the head was that of a large monkey.

As it sees me, it raises its long, long arms in aggression, but I had already decided what to do long before I had even come to meet it. I raise my left arm, palm outwards, and visualize the tendrils entwined together in the shape of a barrel. I need it to be thinner, narrower; the tendrils do not shoot out with much force and cannot extend for too long. It does not take me long for me to complete my visualization; as the monkey creature raises its feet, I am already firing. I doubt I can accomplish this as fast if I am not in this frosty state of mind.

I imagine one of the tendrils to be the shape of a needle with a string trailing behind it, and squeeze it out of the barrel. It flies forward with sufficient force to sink deep into the creature’s chest. I create another needle and repeat the process. Every needle drains a bit more heat from the creature, but my aim is not to kill it. The fourth needle forces it to run.

The creature retreats along the same path its line of red haze occupies. That is probably the shortest path to its master. As I run out of the door to follow it, a shadow falls over me. I take a step back in alarm. There is a sharp sound of a sword leaving its sheath, and a gruesome gurgle as the thing’s head is separated from its body. The frog head rolls along my garden, and the body tumbles wordlessly, its connection to its owner vanishing as it does so.

Track 12

The perpetrator is standing on the fence with perfect balance. Her hair shimmers a beautiful silver in the moonlit sky. Her sword is held low, its gentle curve reflecting a threatening light. Her brilliant blue stare cuts right into me. I recognize it as the stare of a predator as a blood-red gleam appears in her eyes.

“Erika…”

There is no point in asking her what she is. She is clearly hostile. Even if she did just kill the other creature, her killing intent was now focused fully on me. A grin spreads across Erika’s lips as she springs towards me, almost too fast for my new eyes to follow. She is in an entirely different league from those shoddily-made creatures, and if I am careless now I’ll be killed.

I submerge myself even deeper in the cold, willing the world to slow down. I need to think and react faster. Erika is heading towards me in a straight line, but with her speed and current posture she will cut me down instantly if I attempt to do what I had with the creature. I am not entirely sure of her capabilities, but for now her sword is probably her biggest threat. It is held close to her body, ready to respond to threats from any angle. Stepping to the side won’t work.

Retreat is my only option, falling back into the house where the corridors will prevent her from swinging her blade freely. If I move too quickly, however, she’ll adjust her attack and skewer me with a thrust. Right now she is preparing to swing, so I need to move at just the right time…

Now.

I step backwards. To her credit, she realizes what I am attempting to do and tries to change her attack, but her indecision only serves to delay her movement, allowing me to slip safely back through the doorway.

Erika doesn’t hesitate to follow. As soon as her left foot touches the ground, it is already pushing off again. Watching it through my eyes, her movements are a graceful, beautiful dance. The sword at the end of that dance is exceedingly deadly, but I am confident I can avoid it.

“Erika,” I call out again. Perhaps repeating her name would distract her. Before I can call out a third time, I feel the cold leave my mind, replaced by a hazy warmth. The world, so sharp and clear before, returns to normal, and then dissolves in a blur of mist. Did I overtax my brain by using my newfound abilities for so long? I stumble and feel her sword nick my cheek, drawing a line of blood. I bite back a shout of pain and try to keep my head steady. Even without the cold I could still summon the tendrils, though I will be unable to visualize anything complex with them. Her sword is still held beyond my face. She would have to retract her sword to attack again, and even while her arm is already withdrawing, my tendrils have sprung into action.

The black tendrils wrap around her sword-hand. Her eyes narrow in anger; she did not seem surprised at their presence. That makes sense; she knows that I am different, after all. My plan was to force her to drop the sword, but it does not work. She pulls her arm back with a strength belying that dainty body. I feel my feet leave the floor as I am pulled along with it. My stomach suffers a kick, sending me flying backwards. The pain is intense.

“Y…you kick like a mule.” I gasp.

“You’ve changed again. Show your true self.” came her cold reply. Thankfully she was not pressing the attack – she could have cut me from head to groin.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, Erika, but if you’ve come all the way to visit, perhaps I can offer you a cup of tea.” If she’s talking, I’ll just try to keep her responding with mundane babble. Every moment she replies to me is another moment that sword isn’t cutting off my head.

“Tea would be nice…”

Seriously? Is she seriously saying that?

“But killing you would be better?”

I think that mad red gleam is back in her eyes. She just mentioned killing me as casually as a normal girl would talk about which clothes looked better on her.

“Why would it be better?”

“Because you’re a monster… I kill monsters.”

“I’m human. See?” I raise my hands, hoping she’ll recognize the universal sign of surrender.

“Only on the outside. You used those black slimy things on me earlier, didn’t you?”

“That’s… just my pet.”

“What’s its name?”

“Uh… Fido.”

This girl is exceedingly weird and strangely chattier trying to kill me than she is in school, but I’m grateful for her low attention span. She seemed to be much more committed to killing me when I was exerting my brain… perhaps she can sense the change in me when it happens.

“Well, Fido is a monster too, then.” she replied in a sing-song voice. The point of her sword traces a complex dance through the air. “You can die together with it.”

I back away from her, wondering if I should strain my brain again to think of a way to escape. Already I feel faint, a strong urge to sleep creeping up on me. Using it again might be unwise, but…

“Stop, Erika.” A strong male voice comes from the outside.

“Ah, Uncle. What’s the matter?”

“There’s enough fighting for tonight. Any more will be bad for you.”

Erika lowers her sword. I can’t see her uncle from where I’m sprawled, but I call out anyway.

“I agree, uncle. I’ve had enough fighting for tonight.”

The man laughs. “It’s still too early to be calling me that. I am sorry for the trouble my niece has put you through.” It’s strange that he would chat with me while standing out of my sight like that, but at this rate I’m extremely thankful to anyone who would save me from Erika.

“Alright, we’re going home, Erika.”

“Yes, uncle.”

Her face was bored again, but before she follows her uncle off, Erika turns to me. For the first time, I see her smile genuinely. She would be pretty popular if she did that more often. Well, she would be pretty popular with a certain sort if she smiled her other smile at school…

“Thank you, Hoshikawa. It was fun. Please come visit me at Old Leaves Bookstore some time.” With a polite bow, she leaves.

Like hell I will.

Track 5

The next morning brought about aches, pains, and a weird fuzzy feeling all over my head. I wondered if I should call in sick to school today. The house was a mess and the door would need to be replaced. I had managed to gather up some bits of the creature I had killed in my house; the rest of it had decayed very quickly, leaving behind a nasty smell. If I find a suitable laboratory I can analyze the specimen. Yua had done her best ordering the vacuum robots around, but the stench would probably linger for a few more days. I flop onto my coach and try to gather my thoughts. There were a few questions I had to ask myself.

What did I think about my new ability?

A. I am excited by this new ability of mine. It is a good thing, a chance for me to change both myself and the world. I am eager to use it as much as possible.

B. It is an interesting ability, to be sure, but there are too many things I don’t know for me to decide how to feel about it. More experimentation is needed.

C. This ability worries me. It comes with side-effects, it appeared too conveniently, and I should probably try to forget about it as much as possible. Best to live life normally.

Should I inform the ISC about last night’s events?

A. I am not confident I can hide the damage to the house. I tell them about the creatures, but I keep my powers to myself. Keeping some secrets might displease them if they find out, but it can also be used as a bargaining chip if I play it right.

B. I reveal both the creatures and my powers to the ISC. I am contracted to them and so far they have pretty much lived up to their end of the bargain. I will need allies, and the ISC can be reliable ones.

C. I spend some time to wipe the security logs and concoct a story for the damage. I cannot trust the ISC with anything. The only person I can count on is myself.

What should I do about Erika?

A. I will talk to her about what happened before. In public. With a lot of people about, lest she try to kill me again. She appears to know much more about this strange world than I do.

B. I look for her uncle instead. The man seems reasonable. He might own the bookstore Erika seems to live at.

C. I stay away from her as much as I can. That girl is seriously scary and plain bad news.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
B
A
A
We need to find out more information before we go blabbing about our abilities and before we embrace them.

The Uncle is Shulgi.

edit: Flipping for Erika in the last option. Must get her to join kendo club.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Shulgi is fantastic and progressed as I hoped he would all the way back when Ean was in Egypt. I used to see him in every shadow out of fear of one of his schemes, now I see him in every shadow in hopes of the protagonist chilling with him for a spell. Balkika9 has Sek, I have Shulgi.

Naram however, he is, and always was a dick.

Also, I can't help but think of Erika as a Gangrel Sheriff.

Zwist

Learned
BAA
ye sheeple.

Playing with unknown powers? How could that possibly backfire(especially if we try to hide them)? B
There is a reasonable chance that we are surveilled around the clock, in which case erasing the logs or lying is of little use. However outright telling them about our abilities might make them turn us into a guinea pig.
Although we might already be, the academy being a controlled environment of sorts. But I doubt that. Thus A
The uncle? We don't know shit about him. Might be we wont even find him. The girl is talkative at least. Also this is going to be a fun conversation. And we need new club members. Thus A

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Here are my votes:

What did I think about my new ability?

B. It is an interesting ability, to be sure, but there are too many things I don’t know for me to decide how to feel about it. More experimentation is needed.

This choice seems to mesh best with the analytical approach we picked in the last choice. The other two options does not make much sense to me at all..

Should I inform the ISC about last night’s events?

A. I am not confident I can hide the damage to the house. I tell them about the creatures, but I keep my powers to myself. Keeping some secrets might displease them if they find out, but it can also be used as a bargaining chip if I play it right.

Telling them everything seems dicey, and trying to wipe the security footage seems foolish, as their elite hacker apparently changed the base-code to our pet AI.. Go the middle way here.

What should I do about Erika?

B. I look for her uncle instead. The man seems reasonable. He might own the bookstore Erika seems to live at.

This one is the hardest. Clearly, there's an interest in Erika from our protagonists side, but we chose the analytical approach. We're dealing with things we know little of. We want to know more. Speaking with this "uncle" might prove enlightening. It might also be a trap. But it seems the best choice when it comes to information about this world, out of A and B.
[Edit]
To please root, I hereby flop to A

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Phew. Thanks for all the B voters. After what treave revealed about the last choice, I would have flopped to analytical mind in a heart beat but didn't have time. Also remembered that a single gieloth
For the first time, you realize that a single Gieloth was cold and alone
but a gieloth tree
and all that is left is the warmth of the tree, gradually turning hotter and hotter

Which leads me to a conclusion that the voices are derived from a gieloth tree and last choice was between gieloth-like powers vs immortal-like powers.

B Analytical mind option.
A Half truth is the best lie.
A Analytical mind option again. Gather more information before walking into a potential trap.

Also, ask Erika to join the kendo club.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, let's see how this works out, but we will regret not having the physical boost in at least three occasions in this chapter.
BBB.
I want to see Shulgi and maybe the bookstore will either have some books for our Fight Club or a coach.

Edit: I'm also with Smashing Axe on the topic of Shulgi. I don't want him sitting on the bylines much longer, time to shock him out of his lethargy. Maybe bringing the supernatural to a noticeable level will do it, or maybe having his logic challenged by a little brat will. We'll see.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Regarding Dio in Skane, you guys specifically chose to attack the boss of the cult right in the middle of his territory. It wasn't an 'unavoidable physical confrontation' by any means.

I see history being repeated here with 2B.

GreyViper

Prophet
BAB I guess the main char in no JC Denton, good time to invest into some type of power armor.
I wonder if embracing fully into the geloth nature will evolve us into similar thing from Species.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
2B isn't necessarily bad, although it's certainly a risk that I wouldn't want to take. There's a trope of big corporations capturing and experimenting on alien hybrids, look no further than Distrinct 9 for proof. The question is, if we go cooperatively, will they allow us our freedom and autonomy? I can't answer that, I just don't know. And since we don't know more about the situation, I think it's a bad idea to take the risk, at least until we attain more information.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom