Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Am I being paranoid, or why do I get the feeling that we are playing Shulgi, after some incident that caused him to lose his powers and memories and his body reverted back to a time before the voices? Oh wait, that is just wishful thinking.

Tigranes

Arcane
It's Ean, reconstituted into human form from the extracts of Inanna flowers. Or Diogenes Camna, who in the Great Reset of Being engineered a scion carrying his genetic material to be born. Etc, etc...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't want to lead anyone on, so I'll say this. The school life hijinks won't last, but the weeaboo is here to stay.

Baltika9

Arcane
but the weeaboo is here to stay.
I'm not all that big an anime/manga fan, but so long as it doesn't get too much, as in all-dialogue-is-desudesukawaii-annoyingly-outrageous, all-protagonists-are-awkward-AZNS, transformers-are-everywhere(although having a choice titled "does Optimus Prime Hoshikawa Senya have to choke-a-bitch?" would be p. cool) and, first and foremost, so long as the grimdark eventually returns (not too big a rush, though, it will be nice to worry about mundane things for a little while), all is forgiven. Really, if Dio Brando was the prototype of Diogenes Camna, I guess I can't oppose this in good consciousness (and since you appear to be an authority on manga, any series set in a European renaissance/beginning of the Victorian Era that are worth a look?).
And besides, if there is something those weeaboos know, it's invincible protagonists and tentacles. I can get behind that.

Of course, if you for some reason want to make it up to us by giving Mr. Senya a pimp-cane, for walking aid of course, since the poor dear is so tired all the time, and write an extra about the "Diaries of an MHD, or one day in the life of Super-Marduk, space pirate extraordinaire," you'll get no objections from me.

Serious question: what would the face of the planet be like now had we introduced your Eyeless White idea at the start of the Empire? Would humanity have picked up and expanded on it, perhaps even made special academy for it?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Serious question: what would the face of the planet be like now had we introduced your Eyeless White idea at the start of the Empire? Would humanity have picked up and expanded on it, perhaps even made special academy for it?

It'd have needed a more brutal Ean, and would definitely have pushed the setting into totalitarian fantasy.

Regarding the grimdarkery, I'm not sure how much stomach you guys actually have for the really brutal scenarios that the Japanese love to write. Exposure to mainstream weeaboo stuff doesn't mean a thing. It' s like comparing Harry Potter to Game of Thrones. Diogenes's little scheme with his fiancee was already considered a very evil act, judging from the comments, and that really only rates about a 3 on a scale of 1 - 10 in terms of fucked up Japanese stuff I've seen (perhaps a 4 if I elaborated it in disgusting detail).

Baltika9

Arcane
Regarding the grimdarkery, I'm not sure how much stomach you guys actually have for the really brutal scenarios that the Japanese love to write. Diogenes's little scheme with his fiancee was already considered a very evil act, judging from the comments, and that's really only about a 3 on a scale of 1 - 10 in terms of fucked up Japanese stuff I've seen (perhaps a 4 if I elaborated it in disgusting detail).
Are they really that hardcore? Never mind then, bring on the weeaboo train!:salute:
And about having stomach, I considered that to be a masterstroke on his part, but then I realized that being a twat equals delaying Ean, so no dice there.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It tends to veer into WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE WRITE THAT!? territory, and personally I don't think I want to go too deep into the abyss. Well, we'll see.

A wins. Enjoy the consequences of being late on your first day.

Baltika9

Arcane
A wins. Enjoy the consequences of being late on your first day.
images

The Fonz approves.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

It tends to veer into WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE WRITE THAT!? territory, and personally I don't think I want to go too deep into the abyss. Well, we'll see.
Yeah, I have no real desire to play the Japanese version of grimdark. It's way more screwed up than anything has a right to be.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The First Night; The First Day

"I'm going out for a while." I slip on my shoes and jacket at the entrance of my house.

"Don't be out too long, Master. I'll keep your bed warmed up for you."

Yua waves at me from the door as I leave. The brisk spring air of the outside is a stark contrast to the carefully adjusted thermostat in the house. The house on the left side of mine is dark. Judging from the lack of any curtains at the windows, it is probably unoccupied. The house on the right is clearly inhabited ; I can hear the tell-tale laughter of a family within. A father, a mother... at least two daughters, if the shoes are any indication. I move away before I feel too much like a stalker. I'll get Yua to bake a cake for them tomorrow as a moving-in gift.

Further down the street there is a row of shops. The convenience store is the only one open, its harsh white lighting spilling out onto the dim street. It looks like the residential areas don't see much activity at night, though from what I've heard the commercial areas are bustling right into the wee hours of the morning thanks to rowdy university students.

From there, the road begins sloping downwards. The terrain of Olympia is naturally rocky and hilly, and I wonder if I should get a bicycle. I continue walking, occasionally glancing at the sky. It is too cloudy to see the moon.

As I pass another row of shops, I see that there is one still open. It was not a convenience store this time, but appeared to be some sort of old bookstore. Curious, I move closer to take a look, and a girl comes out. Her long silver hair glints faintly in the light of the moon. If I had to use one word to describe her, it would be 'beauty'. The word was practically made for her. The strangest thing about her is not her silver hair, though, but the sword she carried at her waist. It is a Higashi sword - I would recognize that distinctive curved blade anywhere. She bowed at someone inside the bookstore and walked off. It's at that time that I notice that she is wearing the uniform of the Imperial Academy. Could she be one of my schoolmates? My curiosity aroused, I follow her.

...maybe I really am a stalker.

When my feet stop, I find that I have reached what was marked on the map as a small park. The girl is nowhere to be seen, though I was sure she went this way. I must have walked for twenty minutes... twenty minutes and fifty two seconds, to be precise. The park was more akin to a playground, with its jungle bars, swings and see-saws. There are a few benches. Despite the cold, I was already starting to sweat. Finding a bench, I take a seat and rest my legs.

The dim streetlights flicker briefly. Something strange catches my eye.

Track 4

There seems to be something crouched atop the jungle bars. I hadn't seen it there before, but perhaps my eyes are too tired. There is a faint rotten stench in the air. It reminded me of a dead dog I once came across.

The lights flicker again, wildly this time.

The thing atop the bars appears to unfold. I had thought it might be a cat, but it is now a little too large to be one.

It appears to be human.

But it looks wrong.

It feels wrong.

It moves, just slightly, and in a split-second I realize what is off. It was as if someone had tried to mold a person from clay just from the description that a human had a head, a torso and four limbs.

No human limbs bend that way naturally.

The arms were just a bit too long.

The legs looked too thin to support its weight.

Thankfully, it is too dark for me to see the head.

I cautiously get to my feet, keeping my eyes trained on the thing.

This is where a hero would challenge it to reveal itself, or perhaps go closer to take a look. Unfortunately, I'm not too brave when it comes to confronting something I don't understand. My first instinct when approaching the unknown is usually to retreat and find out more, though in this case I feel extremely uneasy at the prospect about finding out more. I back away slowly, taking care not to break into a run. The thing does not move from its spot atop the jungle bars.

The moment it is out of sight, I run as fast as I can. What was that thing? It's definitely not any animal I've ever recalled reading about. Was it a type of robot? Probably not, it seemed too organic. There was also the matter of that stench. My mind thought about the possibilities furiously as my feet pound the pavement, sprinting harder than I ever have. Miraculously, I manage to make it all the way back to my house before my knees give way and I'm forced to stop, falling on my hands and knees in front of my own door. The pounding of my blood is the only thing I can hear. My body feels like it is burning up as I gasp for air.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

I count the beats of my heart as I try to calm down.

Thump. Thump. Squish.

I look up.

Squish.

There it is again. The sound came from the direction I had run from. If I had to describe it, it would be as if someone had stepped in a plate full of slimy dead fish.

Squish.

Had it followed me back?

I wasn't going to stay around on my porch to find out.

The first thing I did when I entered my house was to give Yua some orders. Basked in the comforting glow of the projection panels, I regained my calm almost immediately. As long as I had control of the house I would be safe. "Yua, something followed... might have been following me. Please monitor the outside of the house for any incursions and react accordingly."

"I got it, Master! Are you hurt? Do you need any first aid? CPR? I can get a cup of coffee for you ready in two minutes if you need it." Yua was now dressed in a nurse outfit, fussing over me.

"No, I'm fine. Just make sure the security systems are working. That'll be all."

"Yes, Master," said Yua, still slightly concerned at my condition. It took her only a second to perform what I had requested, and followed it up with an impromptu medical scan that assured me that my heart wasn't going to give out on me tonight.

I had managed to convince the ISC to provide me with some security measures, arguing that I should be at least granted the same right as any person to install security hardware in their homes. They had agreed and paid for it with the condition that they were given the key to disable it whenever they wished. The measures I had requested consisted of mostly non-lethal traps, but it would be enough to deter any normal human. I hoped it'd be enough. Even though I'd requested Yua to keep an eye on things, my unease kept me sneaking a peek at the cameras scanning the outside of the house.

The night was long...

Track 2

“...ster...”

“Hm?”

“Master, wake up!”

I jerk awake with a start, my head passing through Yua's hologram as I did so. It was a weird but pleasant sensation, like gentle pinpricks all across my skin. Yua yelped and turned entirely red, holographic steam rising above her head.

“What's the matter, did we get something?”

The last thing I remembered doing was watching a very surprised cat bolt away from my house on the security cameras.

“No, but it's already 9 am! I've been trying to wake you for the past two hours!”

It is already 9.

School starts at 8.

I rush about the house, running frantically in a flurry of activity. Yua follows behind me, reminding me of everything I need to do. Brushing my teeth. Putting on the right clothes. Going to the toilet – I think she was trying to peek at me. Finally, breakfast; I grab the toast and take off. I'll have to eat as I go. Hopefully the teacher won't be mad at me...

Track 5

Strangely, the teacher isn't mad, though he looked slightly sorry for my tardiness. In fact, as I entered the staff room, all of the faculty turned and gave me looks of sympathy. I wasn't sure if I should ask why, but a sense of foreboding came over me.

“So... Mr. Hoshikawa. You need to find out which classroom you're going to?”

“Yes sir.” It always pays to be polite to a teacher.

“You were supposed to be in class 4-A”

4-A was the advanced class for the elite brains of the academy. I begin to nod, and then stop. Wait...

“Supposed?”

“I just got instructions from the principal this morning to transfer you to class 4-M.”

“M...”

“It's where all the students with no particular talent go.”

I recall what I know about the Imperial Academy's class system. It had a generalized curriculum for the first three years, and then specialized classes for the last three. Each class has a specific focus on certain areas of study; academics and athletics were the most common, but there were also classes for cooking and art, among others. Class M was where students that did not have a particular inclination ended up. They usually graduated and worked for the ISC in boring middle-management roles, which is one of two theories why they were designated the M class.

The other theory says that M is for mediocrity.

“Is this because I was late?”

The teacher nods, and I happen to notice that the entire faculty are nodding to themselves, as if I had stumbled upon a particularly self-evident truth. I sigh. The old me would've complained that it wasn't fair, but I've learnt how to be able to deal with adults... somewhat.

“Do you think I could speak with the principal about this?”

“That's impossible,” said the teacher. “He's having a vacation in Etrurea.”

“But you said the principal gave you the instructions this morning?”

“From Etrurea, yes.”

“So I can reach him from here?”

“No, you can't. Neither can we.”

“Then...”

“Look, Mr. Hoshikawa, I think it's best if you don't think too much about this. Do your best in Class M and you might move up to the other classes next year.”

I bite back a reply and apologize for dragging things out. It was clear that the teacher didn't want to talk about it any longer. “It's alright. Come, I'll show you to the class.” He stood up and patted me on the back, like I was some confused little child. It didn't take long for us to get there. The teacher entered first.

“Alright, class. I know this is a bit sudden, but we have a transfer student joining us today.”

“Seriously?”

“We didn't hear about this!”

“Is it a guy or a girl?”

“I hope it's a cute girl.”

“Yeah, me too.”

I can hear a chorus of assents.

I'm sorry for not being a cute girl.

“Settle down. Come in, Hoshikawa.”

I walk into the class.

The first person I notice is also the person sitting furthest in the back. She was a student here after all. In the sunlight her silver hair was less striking, but her features remained as eye-catching as ever. She did not seem to notice my entrance, her gaze trained outside the window. Seeing the girl reminded me of the thing I encountered last night while following her, and I shiver involuntarily. Despite her disinterest, the other students were abuzz at my arrival and began whispering amongst themselves.

"It's a guy! Nooooo~"

"He looks serious. I wonder if he's the bookworm type."

"I suppose he's... kinda cute? Uhuhuhu."

“Hoshikawa, what are you waiting for? Introduce yourself,” muttered the teacher.

“Ah, sorry.” I apologized, slightly embarrassed at my lack of attention. “I'm Hoshikawa Senya, and I've just moved here from Higashi. Nice to meet you all.”

“Wait, did you say your name was Senya?”

A girl had raised her hand, looking at me. She looks familiar, but I can't remember where I had seen her before. She had black hair just like I did; she was probably from Higashi too. The Imperial Academy accepted students from all over the world.

“You mean... the Senya the vice-president was waiting for at the gates?” interrupted the guy sitting besides her.

That sounded bad.

“Vice-president?”

A chime rings about the school at that very moment, and the PA system crackles to life. An elegant female voice begins to speak.

“It appears that the great and wonderful Hoshikawa Senya has finally deigned to grace our presence at the Imperial Academy.”

What she said next utterly ruined whatever mental image I had of the voice's owner.

“Stay where you are, you piece of shit. Don't even think of escaping the class before I have gotten the chance to speak to the floating turd that dared make a lady wait. I'll be there in ten minutes.”

The speaker cuts off. Everyone in the class appears to draw back from me.

“Ah... what's going on?” I ask.

Incredibly, they begin pulling out books and reading... or at least, pretending to read them. The teacher coughs and leaves the room after reminding me to stand exactly where I was. Exactly ten minutes later, the door is thrown open. A girl stood before me, her eyes a haughty green, her blonde hair falling about her shoulders in delicate curls. Her non-existent chest was puffed out as she looked up at me.

She was pretty, but pretty short.

“Mr. Senya. Come with me.” The tone of the voice promised horrible things to come if I did not obey. She was angry. She was definitely angry. I'm not much good with girls, but even I can tell when one is upset.

Track 6

“My name is Kyrie Francesca de Shinar. Do you know what that means?”

I was in the student council room, alone with the girl. It had been empty when we came in. I nod. I was very clear what that meant.

“Hm. Explain who I am so that you will never forget.”

“You are currently the sole heir to the Shinar Empire and Corporation. Your father is the Emperor-President, whom many consider to be the most powerful man in the world. As the Imperial Academy... no, the entirety of Olympia is owned by the ISC, your influence in this town is unrivalled. You are the beloved daughter of the Emperor, the daughter he would crush lesser nations for, and as such a person I should never ever cross if I want to continue breathing.”

Kyrie nods, giving me a dazzling smile.

“If you know that, then you must be terribly bold to keep me waiting at the gates on your first day at school.”

“I'm sorry, I didn't know you were waiting for me.”

“Apology not accepted. You must be punished.”

“You've already put me in class 4-M.”

“I have, but a piece of shit like you... you don't really care which class you are in, do you?”

That was correct, and from my expression she knew she got it right. Her smile grows even more smug. I was only here in Olympia because my activities in Higashi had made it untenable for me to live there any more. For the sake of my family and for the chance at starting a new school life, I had accepted the ISC's plea bargain and come here. Whatever class I'm in ultimately didn't matter to me, because my aims were to graduate with no problems, and hopefully also to do so with a lot of friends, though given what has happened today that would be a problem, to say the least.

“I can get you expelled.”

“That would be one of the worse scenarios I could think of.” I answer.

“It would be a fitting fate for one such as you. I was eagerly awaiting the opportunity to introduce you to this marvellous academy and your wonderful new school life. Not every student gets this favour. In fact, I have never done this before. And what have you done?”

“Trampled on your feelings?” I sighed.

“Exactly. You trampled on my feelings. I had heard that a part-time employee of the corporation was being sponsored as a student here, and I was going to go out of my way to make you feel at home. You didn't appreciate my good intentions at all by showing up late on your first day and letting me stand there in front of the gates like a fool.”

There was a slight sniff at the end of her rant. This girl is going to be hard for someone like me to deal with.

“Sorry.”

“You don't seem like it.”

“I really am.”

“You're making no effort to explain why you're late.”

I couldn't. Was I going to tell her some story about a classmate wandering about town with a sword and some weird monster? That would definitely make her angrier, I think.

“Hm. Anyway,” she sniffed, “I am not heartless. I'm giving a worthless boy like you one more chance to prove that you are worthy of studying here...”

“Thank you, Princess.”

“... provided you complete my quest.”

“Quest?” What was this, an RPG where the proud princess gives the hero a quest?

“You should be aware that every student is encouraged to join an extracurricular club here at the Academy. I'm sad to say that though most are actively seeking to improve themselves and the Academy even further, there are some clubs that have seemed... useless. I want you to lead one of these to glory.”

“I-”

“I was going to offer you a choice between an athletics and academics club, but from your records I can see you are a piece of shit who can't last ten seconds. Isn't that right? I'll assign you an academics club. You should at least have enough brains to do that, don't you? ”

Ah, did she have to say that? I never did like it when people insult my physical strength, even though I know how weak I am. Still, joining a club is something I'd always planned to do here, so it's not like I'm opposed to her plan...

A. She has insulted me one time too many! I will prove her wrong and lead an athletics club to glory, even though I might be horrible at physical activities. It's not the smartest thing to do, but... a man must have his pride!

B. I hate to admit it, but she's right. My brains are greater than my brawn, and I can accomplish her little 'quest' more easily by joining an academic club. It's better to play it safe, especially when dealing with a capricious and powerful spoilt brat.

C. The only way to win is to not play. She is clearly taunting me. Students are encouraged to join an extracurricular club. If I recall correctly, it is not compulsory. I tell her that, and let her know that though I may be sponsored by her father's corporation, I will not be bullied by her.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I steal them from various Japanese visual novels. Actually I'm only using them to try and set the mood for myself while writing up the text. Figured I'd put it up with the update too.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Theory: Kyrie is Sekhenun, we're Ean. Except this time the species are reversed. We're half-tentacle, she's half-immortal.

Together they could make the love child Baltika always wanted.

Baltika9

Arcane
Together they could make the love child Baltika always wanted.
Yes. Yes! YES! Cthulhu fhtagn! CTHULHU FHTAGN!
But seriously, we might want to look into breaking down humanity's rationalist beliefs, it's starting to remind me of the Void Dragon's Imperium from root's LP, everything was fine until "magic" came along, then they broke down in panic at the screams of "Where is your rationalism now?"

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Incidentally, the two major branches for this part of the LP deal with "magic" and "science", respectively. One route will involve more of the "supernatural adventure" that we've been seeing thus far in the LP while the other is more of a science + political thriller.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Even though we pissed her off, it's good that we also know that Things lurk in the darkness. I'm sure this will be Important later.

For now, I think we should try to get on her good side again. No reason to try and be something we're not.

We need to buff up if we're to face monsters in the dark.. I've flopped.

A

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Important in the sense that the Things in the Dark now know where you live. :troll:

Esquilax

Arcane
So treave, what sports do they play in the future? Also, a few things I was curious about Naram:

* Did he know that he was being controlled by the Masters? Were there moments when he'd try to break free? I assume that had we played as him, if we played our cards right, we might have the opportunity to regain control over our minds again.
* Would he have been similar to Ean if he had defective voices like Ean did?
* Shulgi and Naram had a falling out since Chapter 1. Was it around this time that Shulgi dominated his voices and Naram decided to seek the gods in hopes for backup? I remember that in our confrontation with Shulgi he said something like "Oh, you're such a good dog, aren't you, Ean?" I assume this is because at the time, Shulgi figured that he was the only immortal out there who still was able to think for himself.

Well, the best choice is clearly A or B here. Obviously the Princess is going to try and rig the odds to really fuck us over, but if join a sports team, she might not even bother because she'll think that we'll fuck it up anyways. Also, joining a team might improve our physical fitness - if we run into that Gieloth we saw again, at least we can run the hell away. However, I just don't see it as smart to not play to our strengths at all.

A

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Naram's character willingly accepts the Masters, it's the highest honor for him. If you had played as him the choices would be biased towards Master domination. Shulgi hadn't fully conquered the voices but he was already treating them as curiosities to explore. He didn't really buy into the whole destiny thing the voices usually feed their hosts.

Bloodshifter

Educated
So only dumb as brick Ean was resistant to them?

A
We gotta get some exercise on our Manly Pride is on The Line!
I have real bad feelings from C like big bad JuJu's

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom