Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Wasteland 2 Interview with Brian Fargo at Ripten

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Cx1SP.jpg

I lol'ed.

And then I:

BrianFargocodex2.jpg

Oesophagus

Arcane
Depending on how Wasteland 2 turns out we might have to change the Codex MCA's worship to a Duumvirate or something...or find a way to respectfully photoshop both Fargo and MCA on God-Emperor pics. :lol:

We need an emoticon of Fargo pimp-slapping Todd Howard

hiver

. Now this may be years industry-brainwashing speaking out of me, but I'm not sure there's such a market for "hardcore" RPGs. Still: *fingers crossed*

It is brainwashing. You're still thinking in terms of needing to sell millions of copies to the masses due to the 50 or 100 million dollars spent making a game and marketing it in the AAA way. Vogel is surviving isn't he as is Charles? They sell in the millions? Now, inXile is bigger, has more staff, can churn out more ambitious projects, but if they succeed making W2 on the back of 30,000 odd people then why would they need to cater to more? There will of course easily be tens of thousands more buying the game at retail and that's just pure profit. If they pull this off then it will show that you can survive and PROFIT! from barely 30,000-50,000 people. This is a modest market but it's all that is needed for an Obsidian or inXile to prosper. For smaller indies the need is even less. There will always be a hardcore market of a few hundred thousand fanatics for niche genres, enough to keep level headed companies afloat in perpetuity. They just are ignored by the mainstream as too small a group for their ambitions to bother with.
True.

And even better and equally important is to concentrate on selling the game over a bigger chunk of time, rather then going for big epic opening sale and then fading away like mM publishers who rely on graphikz exclusively to sell the game.

So updates, expansions, maybe a sort of CDprojekt enhanced editions, additional features, and similar to keep its presence and sales going.
Word of mouth is invaluable tool here too.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah...TW1 shows how good a staggered release with an EE and a well timed price drop can do: It sold over 400,000 copies just last year coinciding with the release of TW2. AS TW2EE is released it should spike up some more. Even if they sold it for 2 dollars a copy, that's almost an extra million. RPG's have an advantage in that they don't age in the same way as other genres, something that bean counters for big publishers ironically forget about when they dismiss the revenue potential of RPG's.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Depending on how Wasteland 2 turns out we might have to change the Codex MCA's worship to a Duumvirate or something...or find a way to respectfully photoshop both Fargo and MCA on God-Emperor pics. :lol:

Emperor_VS_Horus.jpg

It would fit very much the current situation to have Fargo as the savior and MCA suffering at Howard's hands, but isn't that Codexian Heresy, to not place MCA at God-Emperors place?

Stinger

Arcane

Done

Fargoslap.jpg

Here's the version without the background for use as an emoticon:
FargoSlap-1.png

It'll need to be resized of course.

hiver

There is only one God Emperor, heathens. And he controls the flow of spice.

H7VEn.jpg

Yeah...TW1 shows how good a staggered release with an EE and a well timed price drop can do: It sold over 400,000 copies just last year coinciding with the release of TW2. AS TW2EE is released it should spike up some more. Even if they sold it for 2 dollars a copy, that's almost an extra million. RPG's have an advantage in that they don't age in the same way as other genres, something that bean counters for big publishers ironically forget about when they dismiss the revenue potential of RPG's.
:squints and looks over at the Iron Towers in the distance:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

It would fit very much the current situation to have Fargo as the savior and MCA suffering at Howard's hands, but isn't that Codexian Heresy, to not place MCA at God-Emperors place?

In the current reality MCA is the one suffering, so it would not be considered heresy much. Make it so !

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
We have announced a major piece of good news today that inXile has reached an agreement with Obsidian for potential design assistance for Wasteland 2. What that means is that Obsidian’s Chief Creative Officer, Chris Avellone, is going to work with our team on the design and writing of the game! It is important to note that we say "potential" as they will come aboard assuming we hit $2.1 million in funding. The good news is that we have already seen a spike in just the few hours since this was announced in a press release this morning.

FFS

they are reading this! :love:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They ARE fucking TROLLING us and STEALING our idea for the most inclined CRPG ever and THIS is what happens DU withdraw our 10K PLEDGE NOW because US TROLLED MUCH this is the only explanation. Also, felipepepe wonderful work, and SO RELEVANT right now as well ! Shit I AM HAVING A MELTDOWN of not the SGC kind GOD EMPEROR HELP ME FOR I FEEL THE WARP OF INCLINE OVERTAKE ME !!!

sgc_meltdown

Arcane

circ

Arcane
also don't read the rest of the thread trust me on this
Yeah good advice. I wonder if there's a Pong console board somewhere where people are going:
That fucking codex man. Those retards are playing with keyboards and mouses. FUCKING HERP DERP MAXIMUM DECLINE.
What the fuck are you shitting me? What the fuck is this mouse and keyboard shit man?
PADDLES DUDE WHAT THE FUCK? DON'T THOSE RETARDS KNOW ANYTHING?
Fucking decline man fuck.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Looks like they'll hit 1.8 M today. I think their target is a pretty safe bet, not counting the final surge in donations.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah good advice. I wonder if there's a Pong console board somewhere where people are going:
That fucking codex man. Those retards are playing with keyboards and mouses. FUCKING HERP DERP MAXIMUM DECLINE.
What the fuck are you shitting me? What the fuck is this mouse and keyboard shit man?
PADDLES DUDE WHAT THE FUCK? DON'T THOSE RETARDS KNOW ANYTHING?
Fucking decline man fuck.

You mean those retards who were buying and playing Skyrim while praising that evil Bethesda for "handcrafted" dungeons but when Skyrim got old it's back on the poseur train?

Oh I bet Todd enjoyed being bitchslapped by all your moneys.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
You mean those retards who were buying and playing Skyrim while praising that evil Bethesda for "handcrafted" dungeons but when Skyrim got old it's back on the poseur train?

Oh I bet Todd enjoyed being bitchslapped by all your moneys.

Isn't "playing and enjoying a game for a short time, realizing its shortcomings and failings and deciding the game actually is a bit crap after all" a valid chain of events? Or does everybody have to be like you and "hate things before they exist, buy them and play them (but don't tell anybody!) and actually secretly enjoy them"? Just curious what the Skyway-approved model for gaming is these days.

Also: The only money Todd got from me is the money I thought would go to Obsidian. Would take the $ back if I could.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Why oh why did I unignore you?

Hey. Cunt. If you actually want to construct a post which makes sense, addresses points directly and gives me something to respond to...fine. Do it. Until then, fuck off and put me back on ignore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom