Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Esquilax

Arcane
Baltika9, I think you're exaggerating - why would our Watchers abandon us over something as trivial as not wanting to reveal ourselves through an assassination attempt, assuming this man is one of ours to begin with? As for the disappearance, treave already hinted at another faction that Aodh's people could pin our disappearance on some other faction, so they have ways of covering this stuff up. The madman is attacking in five nights, if we were to "disappear" during the attack, then he could also pin our disappearance on the attack as well. We're certainly in between a rock and a hard place here.

My rationale is this: there are three individuals right now who are seen as the second coming of Ean, depending on who you ask: Runikylos, the mysterious northerner known as Jannik Inge, and Diogenes Camda. It's reasonable to infer that all three factions have Watchers working for them and doing their bidding. The only difference is, we haven't met any of Jannik's. They could pin our disappearance on a different Ean cult. Considering that we're sitting ducks at home, finding us will be very easy for Aodh's people.

B is okay, but again, what if the Watcher is our guy? He knew far more about our deeds than Aodh did. I find Tigranes' hypothesis of him belonging to a completely different faction extremely unlikely, considering Aodh's people are probably the only ones that have paid attention to us. I also am kinda skeptical that he belongs to Aodh, considering he knows way more about us than Aodh did. That makes A a far better choice than I initially thought. Based on this, I am more open to a gamble. I'll mull it over and possibly flop to A.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't think the group that tried to frame us is loyal to the Emperor, more likely they're operating under their own agenda, just as our mysterious benefactors. If we keep the heir alive, in fact, if we save his life, then he's not going to think ill of us regardless of what his other supporters think. We may have the enmity of all the Watchers resultantly, but that's better than being a pawn.

B is playing our own game actively, C is playing it passively. With B, we're free to act and prepare counter-measures, with C we're stuck in a cell. That's all I can really know, as we're too deep in this blind. All the rest is wild speculation.

Baltika9

Arcane
Esquilax,pgive me an hour.I don't think any of these factions want E back, or wish us well.They talk a lot about expectations.A is in theirs,C is in Aodh's.They're playing the shards against eachother.
The way to win the game is to defy the expectations.

Tigranes

Arcane
Except treave's expectations, which is that the Codex will be gung ho and lulzy enough to go with B.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That's mean, sometimes the awesome option is the awesome option and isn't a trap. :(

edit: Is everyone satisfied with their choices, or should I let you guys mull it over some more? At the moment it looks like we're going to sit tight and see how things go.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'd appreciate more time to get on a pc (i'm on a250 symbol limit) and ardue for B. But, you're the GM.
Damn it bros,I just know that C isn't the best choice.It's leaving our fate up to chance.Maybe they want exile because that will prevent E from forming

Baltika9

Arcane
No problem, please go ahead and present your argument.
Thanks, man. Doesn't mean you're off the hook with Sekhe's "punishment" game. ;)
Esquilax: this assassination is the proving time for Dio's strength and worthiness of their support:
"I suppose all I have to do is sit here while you murder all of my rivals?"

"Unfortunately, that will not do, Master Ean. We do need you to lead us and show us your strength. You have a target for assassination too, and we will help you achieve it."

If we tell them "lol no, gtfo", they will have every reason to consider Dio's worth for their support/usefulness to their plans null and void, since he either lacks an Emperor's daring(and a strong, daring figure is what they're demanding for this operation) or they'll lose their patience with him. And if we lose their support, we'll be very much alone against Aodh's men. That seems Bad.

Then there's the fact that C has us simply sit tight and hope that the dice rigged against us falls in our favor. Basically burying our head in the sand, sticking our ass out and hope that our enemies have enough decency to not fuck us up it.

Tigranes: I very much doubt the Watchers wish us well. Something fishy is going on here. Esquilax is right, I'm sure, when he says that every pretender has the Watchers behind them. However, I'm sure that they are not interested so much in having Big E return, that would mean a huge loss of power for them, the nobility and the state. No, they are playing Ean's pieces against one another to prevent his return, and every faction chose an "Ean" they could more easily manipulate. Otherwise they would be more interested in uniting Ean's pieces than playing chess with them. No, none of them are trustworthy.

Remember when treave said that if we choose exile, we'll never become Ean. Now, remember Aodh's insistence on our exile? He wanted us out of the way, since he is a piece of Ean himself.

Why did our watchers pick Dio and keep driving him into a series of murders and assassinations? Because they know everything he does and will be able to pull his strings with blackmail.
Besides, anyone who wants a twat like Dio on the throne, any throne, is not someone I'd trust.

And they also talk a lot about "expectations," and I think Lambchop was onto something when he said that the way to victory is to defy their expectations.
Lastly, B gives us more control of the outcome, whereas C has us play with the cards dealt by the very people who want our money. Besides, B is the gambling choice here.

And A has us kill the last and only person who genuinely gives a shit about Dio and the Empire. Which sounds like a Very Bad Idea.

All we need to do is get to the prince, kill the watchers in front of him and let Dio work his voodoo. These are my arguments and rationales, such as they are and I hope they convinced you bros.

Tigranes

Arcane
B. I don't like it as I think it might alienate our strongest possible allies, but we're making a gamble that these are not the Watchers we're looking for. I just don't have confidence that C will end in our favour, and out of A and B, I think B has a higher chance of success.

newcomer

Learned
Let's see... What's the best way for Aodh to remove us, eh? I can think of a few possibilities:
- Dio was killed during the madman invasion. It's an... uh... unfortunate accident. Possible with C
- Dio was killed when trying to run away. Possible with either A or B. But knowing treave , possibly there's 2 different outcome, so we can rule this out.. for now.
- Dio was captured when trying to assasinate the Prince. Possible with A
- Dio is proven guilty. Possible with C

treave , I think I need a few more not-so-meta information:
- Is the stature of this new watcher similar to Aodh's? How about his voice?
- What was Dio thinking when he shook hands with Aodh?
- When did Dio shook hands with Aodh? On the day of Thania's death? A week later?
- What is Ean's ability level in mind reading before the spheres fucked him?

I'm currently thinking of flopping to A, but I need more information..

P.S. We should've gone with the madman. He's having fun fucking black tentacles :(

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave , I think I need a few more not-so-meta information:
- Is the stature of this new watcher similar to Aodh's? How about his voice?
- When did Dio shook hands with Aodh? On the day of Thania's death? A week later?
- What is Ean's ability level in mind reading before the spheres fucked him?

No.

If Aodh could be used to advance his own stature, nothing about the murders.

Much later than that.

The same as it always was.

Baltika9

Arcane

'Ugh! How dare this peon touch me? I will need a bath after this. The goyim are getting bold lately. What next, letting them govern themselves? Disgusting.'

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, good for you, but B wins anyway.

Time for
just-as-planned.png

A - 2
B - 9
C - 5

newcomer

Learned
Why I am convinced on A:
- Let's see Ean's pre-Tjaru power:
Telepathy – can read emotions from a great distance, depending on the intensity and mental strength of the subject. Intentions can be understood in close proximity. Touching someone allows direct reading of the mind; at this time you can read anything up to a day from a person's current thoughts.
This means that Aodh couldn't have gathered enough evidence from mind-reading. He wouldn't be able to know exactly what happened, and thus unable to repeat our crimes
- Then how did he knows about the medicine? Very simple: He has a faction of watchers behind him, and they could've pieced enough information during his trip to the North to find out about the drug, but to get the full picture he has to fight our faction of watchers
- treave confirmed that his person is not Aodh at least stature-wise, and we know that Ean cannot modify his height / stature, only subtle skin color / face modifications. So we can rule out the possibility that Aodh is repeating everything from Dio's mind

So I think this guy is the real thing

Then why do these guys need us? It's either one of these things:
- To make us an accomplice & thus form an unwritten pact with them in order for them to control Dio
- To set Dio as a person that defended the empire from madman invasion, and thus place him as some sort of emergency emperor... which will last for indefinite time of course

Esquilax

Arcane
Okay, Baltika9 makes some good points, but even if our own Watchers are just as untrustworthy as you say (and they are), going up against them in such a direct and unclean manner is not the way we should go about removing them. First we need to build up our power base. Otherwise, it'll be only ourselves and the prince against an army of potential assassins working against us from the shadows to undermine us. Even a political genius like Dio wouldn't be able to counteract something like that - we'd be brought down in a week.

I believe that I've proved well enough that this Watcher is most likely one of our own based on how much information he knows. Well, I guess it's too late and now we're going to kill off one of our own guys. Would have flopped to A otherwise, but fuck it.

newcomer

Learned
Oh well, every single damn choice over here eventually leads to Ean, right? Sigh...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Why I am convinced on A:
- Let's see Ean's pre-Tjaru power:
Telepathy – can read emotions from a great distance, depending on the intensity and mental strength of the subject. Intentions can be understood in close proximity. Touching someone allows direct reading of the mind; at this time you can read anything up to a day from a person's current thoughts.
This means that Aodh couldn't have gathered enough evidence from mind-reading. He wouldn't be able to know exactly what happened, and thus unable to repeat our crimes
- Then how did he knows about the medicine? Very simple: He has a faction of watchers behind him, and they could've pieced enough information during his trip to the North to find out about the drug, but to get the full picture he has to fight our faction of watchers
- treave confirmed that his person is not Aodh at least stature-wise, and we know that Ean cannot modify his height / stature, only subtle skin color / face modifications. So we can rule out the possibility that Aodh is repeating everything from Dio's mind

So I think this guy is the real thing

Excellent. Spot on regarding Aodh and his reading of Dio.

Baltika9

Arcane
Ah well, the easy road sn't always the best and following someone else's plan does not guarantee success and/or survival. If we don't die/be betrayed, we'll just have to be the smartest sunuvabitch in the Empire and keep RK-47 alive and in power. And since we're Big E's shard and Palpatine's lovechild, our chances are not that bad.

Okay, Baltika9 makes some good points, but even if our own Watchers are just as untrustworthy as you say (and they are), going up against them in such a direct and unclean manner is not the way we should go about removing them.
Fuck those losers.
:troll:

Tigranes

Arcane
Wait, but newcomer's logic is only about whether the New Watcher is Aodh or not, right? But did anyone think that? Weren't we guessing all the time that Aodh probably has some Watchers behind him? I don't get it.

Anyway, looks like we just unleashed a load of butthurt...

newcomer

Learned
Wait, but newcomer's logic is only about whether the New Watcher is Aodh or not, right? But did anyone think that? Weren't we guessing all the time that Aodh probably has some Watchers behind him? I don't get it.

Anyway, looks like we just unleashed a load of butthurt...

Nah, we were debating whether this is a watcher from Aodh's side (he's not alone) and whether by accepting A we will be framed even more. Also if we choose B, whether we will kill our own guys

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Chapter 7.7: Spinning a Web

The madman's attack came unexpectedly to all but a few. He may have been mad, but beneath that madness lay a cunning mind well versed in tactics. As smoke rose over the night skies of Ankida, the invader's rabble somehow having gained access to the city, you made your move. It was going to be a long night.

In the confusion of the attack, you managed to secure your way to the Prince without much trouble. You convinced those you met that Runikylos had ordered your release to assist him because of the attack, and by the time you reached the Prince's study, your assassins seemed very at ease around you.

That was good.

You opened the door. Runikylos was within, reading his notes alone. As he looks up and sees you, he begins to ask something, but you don't hear it. The assassins have already drawn their knives. This was a scenario that you had rehearsed in your mind many times over the past five days, and surprisingly you found a memory of the long gone Emperor that was of use.

You breathe in, deeply. Just as you practiced. Then, you act.

A quick lash from your mind disarms one of them, knocking their knife into your hand. With a movement you've practiced in your mind a thousand times, you slide it deep between his ribs and twist. Then, things become different from your mental practice sessions - the knife gets stuck. You tug at it but it refuses to move, and by that time it was too late to defend yourself. Your former ally comes at you in a fit of emotion while you are trying to pull a knife out of his dead friend. Before he can strike, he crumples to the floor, a dagger in the back of his neck.

Aodh stood behind him. You had not seen him when you entered. On his face was the same lifeless expression he had worn when he fell, his dead eyes staring right at you.

"What are you doing here?" His voice was as devoid of warmth as his expression. Was this the true Aodh, or was it another mask?

"Saving the Prince, what does it look like?"

With a sudden move, he grabs you by the throat and raises a dagger.

"Tell me again, what are you doing here?"

You grin defiantly and choke out your words.

"I'm saving the Prince's ass, you bastard."

"Enough, Aodh. Release him."

At the Prince's command, Aodh let you go. You smile at him, and then turn to the Prince, bowing.

"Your Highness, do you need an explanation for all this?"

Runikylos nods. "Please do." You begin your explanation, with Aodh staring at you all the while.

"This men... they claim themselves to be something called the Watchers, have been threatening me for quite some time. Tonight they tried to make me kill you, Your Highness, but my good conscience could never let that happen. Not after all you have done for me. I pretended to agree and lead them here... and, well, you know the rest, my Prince."

Runikylos looks at you, his slate-grey eyes unreadable. "What of your father and your betrothed?" he asks quietly. Ah, it seems like Aodh has been telling him stories... or had he been the one behind all this in the first place? Did the Prince have a more cunning mind than you gave him credit for?

It was lucky that you had enough regret - at being jerked around on a string by these masked men - to summon up a remorseful confession.

"I would not have done it without them." It was the truth. You would not have done it. At least, not that way, not without the opportunities they had provided. "They told me they had swapped my father's medicine for poison, and they had the antidote, but I did not know they would force him to kill himself! Neither did I know they would attempt to get Thania..." Your voice breaks down into a whisper. "I have lost my family because of them, my Prince. But I will not lose my good friend to them. That is why I could not complete this task that they assigned to me."

The Prince nods. "Aodh, are you happy now? You could've just fell because of a breeze. Dio is innocent, and a trusted friend. Seriously, I can't believe I let you go ahead with your silly plan to test his loyalty." Runikylos laughed cheerfully. Aodh looks at you, as if attempting to discern something, but then sighs and turns back to Runikylos. "Very well, my Prince. If you think he can be trusted after all this, then I will defer to your decision. Still..."

He walks over to you and grabs your arm.

"Do you mean the Prince any harm? Do you swear on it?"

You stare at him seriously. "I swear, on my own honour and conscience, and the name of my dead father Velius Camna. I mean the Prince no harm." Of course you don't. Why kill the golden goose? A look of distaste passes across Aodh's expressionless face, but he nods.

"Then you can be of use, for now."

"The same to you, clerk."

In the confusion of the raid, the Watchers had struck quickly and efficiently. As you looked through the list of the dead, you found that the targets had been people who were not the most prominent, but had a crucial role in swaying both public and noble opinion. The ones who died hailed from many factions, including Runikylos's own. If there was a secret war going on, it was probably much larger than you had expected. In the mean time, you had become part of Runikylos's inner circle, one that included his own Watchers.

"Master Ean."

You close your book and set it down, taking up a glass of wine instead.

"I was expecting you."

"Master Ean, why did you betray us?"

"Did I?"

"We were going to bring you to power, Master Ean. You killed two of our men!" Your lips twist into an amused sneer. This was the first time you'd seen a masked man lose control of his voice. As he attempted to rise from his kneeling position, he found that he couldn't. You held him down gently with your mind. For a while he struggled, and you wait until he settles down before you continue the conversation.

"I ask you this; why was I chosen?"

"You are cunning, Master Ean, and willing to do whatever it takes." comes a whisper in reply.

"I am cunning. I know that my position will be insecure if I rise to prominence too quickly, as the fiasco with Aodh has taught me. I am also willing to do whatever it takes... including sacrificing two of your men as my pawns. Wait, your men?" You grin. "They are my men, aren't they? You are mine, are you not?"

A silence, then a nod.

"This was a gamble, I admit - a blind and risky move that I was not sure would succeed at all, but it's one that has worked well enough to teach us three lessons. The first is a lesson for you, that I will not be manipulated like some puppet as you please. I have my own will, and if you would claim loyalty to me you will learn to know it. The second is a lesson for me, that I am more important to you than at least two of my men, or else I would have been dead by now. Do not worry, I will not be pushing to find out just exactly how many Watchers my own life is worth. The third, well... the Prince now learns that his trusted Watcher can be wrong and that I am, despite my sins, a good man at heart, I guess?"

"You are wise, Master... no, my Emperor." croaks the Watcher before you.

"I do not need to be called Emperor. I only require that you are loyal to me, above all else, above whatever cause you might think you serve. If I have been chosen for my stunning qualities, then it only makes sense for you to allow me to exercise it as I see fit. That will be the best way to achieve your goals... unless of course you are lying to me."

"No, my Emperor. I call you that because you are truly worthy of retaking your throne."

"What flattery." Of course, you don't trust it, but then again you don't need to trust them to make use of them. They sought to have you as their puppet, but you will use them and toss them away once they are no longer needed. First, however, you will need their help to get yourself a strong foothold in this new world that you have found yourself in - one that is so familiar to the schemes and plots of nobles, yet so different.

You drink the wine. It tastes good.

You want to know more of the masked men's plans, but is it really a wise idea considering that you will be working closely with Aodh from now on? However, if you don't know, you might run the risk of accidentally foiling plans that could be beneficial to your own rise.

A. You demand to know everything they had planned and their reasons. Knowledge is power, and while they are still awed at your bastardry, this is the best time to make such demands.

B. You ask for only the barest outline of their plans, to prevent the risk of Aodh possibly finding out something from you with a careless word.

C. You want to know nothing. The less you know, the less you can leak out. If you know nothing, you can leak nothing.

You will also need to find out more about the players in this game you find yourself in if you're to survive. You need information. There were several people you were particularly interested in at the moment, and who you think you could approach for help.

A. You request information about Aodh. The young Watcher is your biggest threat right now, and you need to find out more about him. If you know more about him, you might be able to find a way to get him to stop suspecting you.

B. The young recruit who had just repulsed the madman's attack was the same recruit that had captured the cultist at Korinthos. He was now known as a hero, and having him as an ally would be beneficial to your public image.

C. The nameless madman who dared to assault Ankida intrigued you. Ever since it was built, the capital had never been attacked, not even during the numerous civil wars. Finding out more about him and contacting him could gain you an interesting pawn.

Your strength has grown further, granting you access to another power. You have gained:

A. The ability to read intentions and feelings by touch.

B. The ability to conjure fire with your hands.

C. The instinct to survive and fight in battle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom