Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Bloodshifter

Educated
and the 'Committee' meltdown occurs

as to influencing votes Baltika9 and Esquilax both seem to sway the masses with Storyfag coming up as a mini influencer*mainly strong support*

heck if I look back on the past couple of pages I can list those who fall into the three 'parties' with a few independent players.

Baltika9

Arcane
:lol: Right, I'm biting. Wall of text incoming.
First order of business, Brosquilax:[quote="Esquilax, post: 2333888, member: 12663"]We were fine with long-term decisions regarding empire building until we saw the rift. Yes, we are many people with different ideas, but we can make that work for us too.
The problem with the last chapter was that people encountered an obstacle with no easy solution, and they got impatient, so they jumped in without thinking things through. Then they were caught off guard by the "WTF?" nature of the rift, so they voted for sphere diplomacy because they were thinking of events based on "oh shit what do I do?" rather than "how are we going to handle this situation?" We are going to have to react to events at times because unexpected shit is going to pop up all the time, but we should always keep in mind the long-term implications of what we're doing. [/quote]
No, the biggest problem with the last chapter was this: we didn't have a defined goal. First it was "ololo Empire!", then "oshit, do we choose China or subtly schliking Athena?", after that there were the Terrasphagos, then "l0l let's stay here and play Civ4 instead of solving the real problems, like China."

And then, finally, we came to the crossroads: North, Rift or China? All of them were dangerous at the time, so we chose the closest we had and that's what we went for. Inside, well, we fucked up, but it were actually half-succesful: apparently Ean's durability impressed the Scrotum Lords enough that they decided not to shoot their Terrasphagos loads over our planet, for now at least. Which leaves only my last
B. You are a new recruit manning the Great Wall of Korinthos, where the threat of the Terasphagos have not been seen for centuries. Being stationed at the wall is one of the most boring and mundane duties for a soldier of the Empire, but one day, you get the excitement you have been yearning for...
They stopped for reasons unknown. Kinda makes me wonder what kind of swtory Sekhenun spun with it.

And, most importatnly, we learned more about the "Why" in those two updates than we did in all the chapters combined. (@treave, I know the whole "tagging you ten times per update" is getting old, but I just have too many questions. Had we given in to the demands of the giant balls and played with them, would they deem Ean and by extentionEarth as weak and unworthy of attention?)
We were fine with long-term decisions regarding empire building until we saw the rift. Yes, we are many people with different ideas, but we can make that work for us too.
I will admit to going full retard, somewhat on purpose. As I've said, in the last chapter most of us voters lost the big picture (myself not excluded), so I decided to just let it blow over and enjoy "riding the lightning". Now that we've finally had the senses shocked back into us, I'm ready to Bro(ck) and Bro(ll) to sucess and start maing sense again. Chin up, Ean still lives and that means everyone who fucks with him and his is dead. The just don't know it yet.

As for the memories: we must restore them ASAP, if the character we are playing really is Ean. Why? Because we need to kick Holy Terra into high gear, beat everyone in line and start the biggest civilizational rush we can. The Masters are going to fix their link sooner, the Rift is apparently starting to act up again and we really need to be able to defend ourselves from everything.

Finally, for the choices: We shouldn't be thinking about what we want to do, but what we should do. Esquilax, you said that the Empire is, basically, a beast dying the slow death of stagnation and bloating and you are correct, that is the same impression I recieved. The choices, in the context of fixing the Empire (which, Ean or no, should be another one of our goals this chapter, of not the goal)
  • Soldier- purge the corruption with fire and popular support. Also, civil war. Medium.
  • Noble- surgically remove said corruption with (hopefully) minimum damage. Can backfire horribly. Hard mode.
  • Hermit- PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! Very Hard, appartenly. Although, if this means we can go to Rus and unite them into the Glorious Soviet Union and finally create a Comissariat, I will be strongly tempted.
  • Spy- "Corruption? What Corruption?" Easy, basically we just collect info and do whatever the corrupted higher-ups in the KGB/CIA tell us to do.
Now, here it should be noted that I strongly oppose D. While it does give us a way to remake the Empire to suit our needs, it seems absolutely redundant and a needless waste of time. Most importantly, I'm not sure if this will put us at odds with our original Bros, Sekhenun and Edem, if they're still pulling the strings from the shadows, and eventually lead to their deaths. And I don't roll that way, mostly because I didn't get my Ean-Sekhenun lovechild. Besides, those guys are way too awesome to die, especially by our hands.

Hence, I will support any option that can beat D (goddammit people, we just fucked up. Get your shit together.), although I prefer the soldier, because something is about to go down in Olympus, and I want us to be on Ground Zero when ITZ hits for crisis control.

Obligatory in(s)anity:
No baseless speculation. That means you, Baltika9. ;) If you provide a theory of some sort, back it up with quotes or reasoning.
THE WALLS, THE WALLS ARE CLOSING IN! I SEE WALLS WITH BALLS! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! THE BALLWALLS ARE COMING!!! IT IS TOO LATEEEEE!!!
You know, I think I should be voting D just because it suits my cultivated persona the most:lol:. But seriously, D is a poor choice.

oscar

Arcane
If I'd known our empire would expand so far west I would have voted for Constantinople as capital.

How did we manage to conquer Italy, France and Britain though? Peacefully or bloodily? It sounds like most members of the Empire are happy to be part of it and we don't have major independence movements.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
They were much smaller when you took them in. Offered them protection against the other kings in the area, supplied them, then they grew their territories while being your vassal.

Also Baltika9's theory about the spheres being impressed enough not to send Terasphagos is a mistaken assumption, so the question about deeming Ean's world weak is really pointless anyway.

Baltika9

Arcane
Tally so far:
A- 7
Azira- A.
TOME- A.
Arpad- A.
Lambchop19- A.
ScubaV- A.
Omicron- A.
m4dvis- A.
B- 1
Baltika9- B.
Bloodshifter- B.
C- 10
Anabanana- C.
Esquilax- C.
Oscar- C.
Storyfag- C.
Smashing Axe- C.
Baltika9- C.
Helly- C.
newcomer- C.
Tigranes- C.
Kukulkan- C.
D- 2
Kipeci- D.
Red Scum- D.
Tell me if I missed anything.

Right, bros, I don't think a Watcher is the optimal choice, personally. Treave said that he's basically a spook following orders from Washington Ankida, however freeform.
The main difference between A and C regarding intrigue is probably that if there's a plot going on, if you're a Watcher you're most likely several steps removed and playing/cutting (depending which side you're on) the puppetmaster's strings, while if you're a young noble you will be scheming right in the thick of things, your face known to the world, where alliances may change from day to day, and the risks are greater but the rewards even more so.
And while being a medieval James Bond is quite an attractive option aesthetically, picking it means we leave the running of the heart and soul of the Emprie to the other politicians, ones not gudied by meta as we are. Hence why I flopped to C, however much LARPing as Aleksandr Nevskiy or CIAPHAS CAIN appeals to me, the fight is between A and C here.

And yes, Noble=Classic Ironman, so I can see why many of you are so nervous. But if we actually discuss goals for this chapter and agree upon them and then act to advance those goals, then we'll make it out top dog.

newcomer, my bro, our lovely little waifu is most likely involved with the scholars and researchers in Ankida/Imperial Center, if she's still alive/around, and not up north. So, if we get a noble, I'd say we'll get a chance to see her rather quickly.

Tigranes

Arcane
The main difference between A and C regarding intrigue is probably that if there's a plot going on, if you're a Watcher you're most likely several steps removed and playing/cutting (depending which side you're on) the puppetmaster's strings, while if you're a young noble you will be scheming right in the thick of things, your face known to the world, where alliances may change from day to day, and the risks are greater but the rewards even more so.

It really depends whether we are amnesiac-Ean, Ean-reborn-in-another-body, or looking-for-Ean, and it's impossible to know. With A we could probably find out more hidden / clandestine info, probably more about the past as well, while with C we'd be in a better position perhaps to know and influence the current doings of the Empire.

Since in my mind the future is always the priority, flip to C... though fuck we're missing out on James Bond.

newcomer

Learned
I'll flip to C also. Looks like making Ean into prophet with towelheads is not a very good idea

Oh, and did the legends stated where this legendary "Black Octopus" live? :smug:

Kipeci

Arcane
I wish we knew what was going on in China.

I mean, we knew their whole tree deal was going to be slow, but are they still working on that? Are they no longer a problem? I guess we won't know, since we no longer have access to the long-range communications...
At any rate, it's evident that we made the right choice in not immediately gallivanting off to China and instead focused on the Terasphagos, though we did goof that up by jumping in the rift instead of letting Vajra do its thing.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll flip to C also. Looks like making Ean into prophet with towelheads is not a very good idea

Oh, and did the legends stated where this legendary "Black Octopus" live? :smug:

They used to make jokes of it being in the Emperor's bedchambers, but that stopped in 2130 A.C. when the puritan Emperor Knuttion had anyone who even suggested the idea of the First Emperor being involved with animals executed for blasphemy.

newcomer

Learned
They used to make jokes of it being in the Emperor's bedchambers, but that stopped in 2130 A.C. when the puritan Emperor Knuttion had anyone who even suggested the idea of the First Emperor being involved with animals executed for blasphemy.

I hope that was the case :(
Let's make that official after Ean restored the Empire :incline:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A - 8
B - 1
C - 9
D - 1

Voting is still open, I'm waiting a bit longer. It kinda sucks when you have an hour of free time and just want to use it to bang out an update before you do some actual work, but eh, well, there's two lone votes there that may change the outcome.

Baltika9

Arcane
Hopefully the Noble's name will be Nabuchadnezzar, since we're about to lay down the law and all.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hopefully the Noble's name will be Nabuchadnezzar, since we're about to lay down the law and all.

Sorry man, this comment is just calling for you guys to get fucked over due to its presumptuousness. Rejoice.

ScubaV

Prophet
No JC Denton. What a shame. It'll be interesting to see how the nobles view us once we inevitably fuck up and then are revealed to actually be Ean.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
with Storyfag coming up as a mini influencer*mainly strong support*

Who? Little old me? Nonsense.

Obligatory in(s)anity:
No baseless speculation. That means you, Baltika9. ;) If you provide a theory of some sort, back it up with quotes or reasoning.
THE WALLS, THE WALLS ARE CLOSING IN! I SEE WALLS WITH BALLS! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! THE BALLWALLS ARE COMING!!! IT IS TOO LATEEEEE!!!

No, no, no! You got it all wrong!
The walls are Shulgi :smug:

Also, a prediction:
Ean will initially become a voice within our chosen individual's head. Not necesserily similar to the voices installed by the Masters (ie: incapable of taking control of his host, etc).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Chapter 7.2: Diogenes Camna

“You shouldn’t have messed with House Camna, old man!”

A boot lands in the ribs of the persistent beggar, sending him falling backwards. The beggar wheezes, pleading for his life. You don’t spare him even a glance, running your fingers through your dark blonde hair. The wind was quite strong today.

“That’s enough, Tullus, Crassio.” You walk away from the dirty man that had tried to accost you – you were late for dinner at the manor. It seems that there were more and more of them these days, ever since the weather turned foul. You could feel it here, even as far south as Etruria.

As your two acquaintances hurry to catch up to you, one of them – Tullus - slaps you on the back. “Ah, Diogenes, buddy, ever the kind guy, aren’t ya?” You wince slightly and smile. Crassio laughs and shivers. “Weather’s really cold today. Oh yeah, you’re going off south soon, aren’t you? Would be nice to get away from this blasted cold.”
“Before the year is out. I’ve been transferred to the Foreign Affairs Office in the capital.”

“I think I’ve congratulated you before, but congratulations, again!” grins Tullus. “You totally deserve it, buddy. We’re gonna miss you.” You wonder why you are friends with them, but as you see them glaring away the scum that cross your path, you remember why. It’s a pity you couldn’t take them with you to Ankida, but maybe you would find some other people to follow you.

“Dio! Dio!”

That blasted, quavering voice again.

“Yes, father?”

“I dropped the knife. Could you pick it up for me?”

“Of course, father.”

Velius Camna, patriarch of House Camna. Under his kind and charitable watch, the House’s fortunes have declined, though you think that would soon change.

“Thank you, Dio, thank you. Thank the Emperor I raised you well. After Arte died… You are a good boy… all I have left…” Velius’s voice trails off before he breaks into another fit of coughing. As you leave your father’s side to go back to your seat, he speaks up again. “I hear you have been promoted to Ankida, Dio, my boy. Is that true?”

“Yes, but I might not go, father. I worry about you.”

“Oh, don’t! Dio, don’t say that, I will be fine!” laughs Velius, somewhat bitterly. “If this old man wants for anything, it is for you to succeed in life.”

You will, you think, no matter what.

“If that is the case, father, promise me that you will drink the medicine. I will be able to work better knowing that you are alright.” Hearing that, Velius makes a face. “That medicine… I don’t like it. It tastes funny." You chuckle. “Don’t be a big baby, father. It is for your own good. Do we have a promise?”

He sighs, “Of course, Dio. It is good, knowing that at the end of my life, I have such a wonderful son to care for me.”

“You are not at the end of your life, father, you have many more years to come.”

“Maybe, maybe… well, I am retiring for the night. These old bones cannot stand the cold.”

“Very well, father. I’ll bring up the medicine, as usual.”

“You don’t need to do all that, you can get the servants to do it.”

“I don’t trust the servants, father. We are House Camna. We might be powerless and poor now, but we are still related to the throne.”

“Yes, yes, I know, I’m the one who told you that a cousin of ours was married to the third princess of a cousin of an uncle of the father of the reigning Emperor. It doesn’t really make us any important, you know.”

“Still, just in case, father. I’ll bring the medicine to you myself, just as I always do. It’s a small matter to do for the one who raised me.” Fool of an old man – he has always been like this, blind to the treacheries and plots of the other nobles. No wonder Camna was in hard times.

“Such a way with words, Dio,” smiles Velius. “That reminds me, you are planning to get married to Thania, no?”

Thania Unata, of House Unata – an even smaller, insignificant family of nobles that did not even own land; they squatted on Camna lands, like parasites. Apparently the patriarch of House Unata had once saved Velius in battle, and they had been best friends ever since. You had grown up together with Thania. Though she had been promised to your elder brother Arte, since his death, the betrothal had fallen in your hands.

Well… she had already been in your hands long before that, anyway.

“Yes. After I settle down in Ankida, I will begin the preparations, but not before.”

“Oh, don’t focus too much on work, boy. Thania is a beautiful, nice girl. She was just here this morning with some pastries. You are a lucky one to have her, boy.”

You’ve stopped listening to your father, smiling and nodding as you head towards your room. The medicine was kept in there, where no servant could tamper with it. It looks like your father’s vitality was still strong… you would have to increase the dosage. It would be too late once you leave for Ankida.

As you open the drawers, a voice greets you from behind.

“Diogenes Camna. Good evening.”

You whirl around, and to your surprise a cloaked, masked man steps out from the shadows.

“You… how -“

Before you know it, he has his hand over your mouth, and a sharp, jagged knife to your eye.

“Diogenes Camna. Good evening.”

You nod calmly, and he releases his hand.

“Good evening. Who might you be?”

“Someone who has been watching you, Diogenes Camna, with great interest.”

“What’s so interesting about me?”

“Everything. Your birthplace is unknown. Your birth parents are unknown. You were adopted by Velius Camna at the age of 10. You graduated with honours from the Imperial Academy, with the highest marks in the subjects of politics and foreign affairs. Despite that, you refused an offer to serve directly with the Imperial Office of Foreign Affairs, instead opting for a posting in your hometown of Aritim, the capital of Etruria. Your reason was this – ‘I wanted to be close to my father and my betrothed.’"

Underneath that mask, you could feel that the man was grinning. He is about to continue, but you stop him.

“It looks like you’ve read up about me. Congratulations, you can read. Did you come here just to show me that?”

The man chuckles softly, the knife in front of your eye not wavering one bit.

“Just what I would expect from the man who fully understands that his father’s seat on the prestigious Council of Nobles is a wasted seat… you do have balls, Diogenes Camna, I’ll grant you that. Strangely enough, you grieved the loudest when your elder brother, Arte Camna, the legitimate heir, had his unfortunate coach accident. What a display of emotion for a man so calm, even in a situation such as this.”

“You dare!”

“Now now, no need for pretenses here. I know what is in that drawer.”

You resist the urge to gulp, and instead let a smile spread over your face.

“It’s just medicine. Now, can you tell me why you are here, if it’s not to show me that you know how to find out about things?”

“I don’t find out about things, I observe them,” nods the man, as if you have understood something. “Very well, let’s cut to the chase. My colleagues and I believe that you are a man with bright potential, and as such, we wish to offer you a unique opportunity.”

You nod your head slowly, waiting for him to continue.

“You are probably already aware of this, but the Emperor will be visiting Aritim in two weeks time. We can arrange for you to host him.”

“House Camna? Host the Emperor in the very city in which the King of Etruria reigns?” You can’t help but laugh. “Us? This is a very good joke you have told me, masked man.”

“It can be done. This is the proof.”

Reaching one hand under his belt, the masked man brings up a small signet ring. You widen your eyes when you see it – the crest upon it was unmistakable – the eternal blade, a sword that twisted upon itself and stabbed into its own hilt; the emblem of the Imperial family. It was a ring only granted to the closest family and most trusted servants of the Emperor.

“This is a very good counterfeit you have shown me, masked man,” you say nervously, but you know that such a counterfeit impinged upon the authority of the Imperial family, and was blasphemy of the highest order, and not even the great crime families of Sicilia would dare do such a thing. The man would either have to be powerful and resourceful enough to obtain such a counterfeit, or he actually had the real ring in his hand. Either way, there was a good chance that the man could carry out his bargain.

“You know it is no counterfeit, for a few reasons, Diogenes Camna. Now, we can do this for you, and I know that you have begun to believe so.” You shake your head. “It’s not a deal yet. What do you want from me, then? I see many ways for me to benefit from hosting the Emperor, but what do you get from all this?”

“The event itself is our goal. We desire nothing more than that. I will say this – you were chosen for a reason.”

“You expect me to believe that?”

“You may think whatever you wish. However, this does not mean that there are no conditions, Diogenes Camna.”

“Ah, so now you name your price.”

“It isn’t much of a price. You just need to hasten the timeline of your esteemed father’s ordeal. We will provide you with the means to do so, and everything will fall into place perfectly.”

You fall silent. Just who were they? Still, an opportunity… any opportunity to meet the Emperor was not to be taken lightly - noblemen would kill and have killed for such a chance, and an opportunity to actually play host to him was something that you might not encounter even in your entire lifetime.

A. You accept the offer. It is too good not to.

B. You decline the offer. It is too good to be true.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, as long as you rein it in a bit, I have no doubt that mindset will drive Diogenes Camna to success.

I eagerly await the choices that will be made.
:drink:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Ah, so now we're a noble of Latin (if not precisely Roman) stock. Good, good!

A - we've been meaning to poison our father anyway. Though I have ample reason to believe the masked man will try to make us a scapegoat in the Emperor's assassination, I'm sure we'll manage to either prevent the assassination, or at the very least avoid the consequences.

Now, treave, I beg you to provide a cultural/clothing reference for our present times. I need it to enjoy the LP properly :obviously:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Something similar to late-era Renaissance clothing, perhaps? I'm not too good with fashion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom