Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

newcomer

Learned
A1

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A1 for the moment.

I can be swayed to B1 although I don't like the idea of us not having a position to fall back to. That and the entrenched army would serve as a distraction whilst we make our way to the rift, whereas with B1 they'd be entirely focused on our expeditionary force. I'm really glad 2 didn't win last vote

I wonder how Athena views us now, considering all we have done.

Edit: That said, there could be a decent case made for B2. If the incursion does indeed die down then it would do to have at least some of our military force remain intact to maintain loyalty in the provinces whilst we are off on our Lovecraftian journey. That and it would be infinitely easier to reach the rift without a countless horde of tyranids trying to consume our biomass. The downside to this is that we don't know if or when the invasion would die down.

Baltika9

Arcane
The Terasphagos had amassed a number that no one ever had any reason to count to.
Wait a moment. We have the smartest, most intelligent humans in the world working for us, and they didn't even establish the mathematical value of "one million?" What are we paying them for, again?

They now adore their goddess whole-heartedly, certainly more than they adored you, who they merely respect and trust. Athena would be busy showing herself and ensuring that they felt safe. After all, having panic rise up amongst the citizenry behind your lines would surely do wonders for troop morale and logistics, you thought acidly.
Let's hope Esquilax's politics and propaganda plan worked on Athena. If not, things will get rather difficult for the Emperor, be it Ean or his heir(ess).

"Sadistic bitch," you mutter.

"I know who you mean," Edem grins.

newcomer, you were right. She does have the hots for Ean. Not very good at handling rejection, though.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
treave, can we fly yet, using telekinesis? With Edem's help? How far above the ground does the miasma reach? It would be that much easier if we could approach the rift from air.

It would seem we missed the best chance to enter the rift couple updates back. Not sure if flip-flopping now is a smart thing to do. We could wait them out, retreat far back and let them breath air and die.

B2. But if Ean can fly, or anyone comes up with a good plan to get to the rift, I'm willing to flop to A1.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Even with Edem's help you can only jump really far, and he can't fly you or himself that far across all the miasma.

Bloodshifter

Educated
Look guys EVEN the ALL the Varja Treave-bro said that we would have a hard time closing the damned portal what makes you think that ONE piece would do it?

Also Retreating would lose us troops yes seeing as the Telas. run faster then our men but over all they get weaker the longer they are outside the Miasma. *really regretting doing the closer wall now XD*

also Treave is the second wall still there? if so how strong is it?

B2 Unless we can fallback to the second wall *if its in GOOD condition* then C2

C- Fallback the Last incursion Defences and hole up to attempt to keep some hold on the Telas.

ScubaV

Prophet
I think it's time for a fighting retreat. We're hemorrhaging men and it's only the second month of what could be six or more. Staying might buy time and distract the Terasphagos from the rest of Greece, but it will almost certainly get our entire army slaughtered. How do you think morale will look then? Furthermore, sending an already-fatigued Ean into the heart of the swarm will leave him in no condition to fight any enemies on the other side of the rift in the best case scenario. Worst case he takes a long dirt nap.

We need to do whatever it takes to make it through this incursion with Ean and as much of our army as possible intact. Then venture into the rift.

B2

Collage

Educated
B2. We have to keep as many troops alive as we can. Unfortunately we'll have to pull a Soviet Union strategy: sacrifice land for time.

Tigranes

Arcane
Well it's a dilemma. Had we gone in the rift the previous update, it would have been better timing perhaps, but now we know that the Empire would have had a lot of dead men with no emperor around when they (think) they need him most. But if we go now then it's more dangerous for us than ever.

B2 for now, though of course there's no absolute guaranatee that this time, just like the others, the invasion will let up after a few weeks.

Baltika9

Arcane
The invasion won't let up and maybe now is the best time to go, since the Terrasphagos are almost completely out of the rift, leaving their spawning pools much less defended.

oscar

Arcane
B2. We'll have to trade space for time to reorganise and reinforce. Then act to the utmost to close the rift after this incursion (before it starts spreading beyond Greece).

Baltika9

Arcane
Not much I can do but stress that avoiding Olympus and retreating is the worst combination. Yeah, the Terrasphagos will die outside the Miasma...in about two months. This gives them time to completely decimate and strip the Greek countryside, decreasing the people's respect and the support of Athena, and since we went through so much trouble to cultivate it, we'd better fucking keep it. Worse yet, this will make Ean seem weak.

Remember when Ean said this:
“The Terasphagos are unpredictable,” you continue. “Their motive and behavior is not like anything we have ever seen. Greece needs the blood of my men to defend it, and I would gladly spill my own to protect this land.”
?
Time to make good on our words. And besides which, the Terrasphagos are getting way out of hand. Every single trend shows that the attacks will only increase in intensity and that these things will evolve, adapt and overcome. The more we delay, the worse the situation will be. The Empire has an Heir, it can do without Ean for a while. We can cash in on all the goodwill with
Athena and Sekhenun, and send them a message to watch the kid(s) in Ean's absence, something like: "Do me a favor, sweetcheeks, watch after Lil' E while I do sum shit, arite? Kthxbye."

On a personal level, I'm starting to get the impression that Ean is beginning to lose his balls. All he does in between updates is meditate, fuck his Hos and delegate his decisions.

Edit: treave, how close, if at all, are our scholars to discovering monocles and top hats?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Fuck this shit. We need to give the populace time to retreat. Ean is the self-proclaimed champion of humanity, right? Now is the time to man up, step up, and stop the xeno scum!

A1

:yeah:

Esquilax

Arcane
Sorry, Baltika9, the argument about seeming weak and saying that Ean has "lost his balls" is nonsense. What does that have to do with the situation at hand?

Our goal here is to defeat the Terasphagos and close the rift, so anything along the lines of "What will Athena think?" or "Will we look weak?" is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. As long as we close the rift, nobody will care.

For every Terasphagos that fell to the tenacity and strength of your men, a hundred more would appear. For every hundred Terasphagos that you personally slew, a thousand more showed up. You would normally not tire by merely chopping and dicing your way through the swarm, but even you would be overwhelmed by their sheer mass eventually if you did not do something more drastic.
At numerous points they had breached the fortifications and rampaged across the countryside in hordes tens of thousands strong - you could not defend every single part of the wall, and neither could your immortal and Gieloth allies. It would not be long before you were forced to retreat the army or risk having what was left of it entirely encircled by the Terasphagos.

The problem with A1 is that at this point, it feels like "too little, too late". We've had two previous opportunities to go into the center of Olympus, once before the incursion (which is when we should have gone), then once again when we had 70,000 men to hold the walls. Now there are 60,000 men and the number of Terasphagos within the miasma is pretty much exactly the same.

At this point, our army being encircled and overwhelmed by the Terasphagos is an inevitability if we stay. Every man that dies on our walls is another breach that the Terasphagos have to exploit.

B2

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A1 - 6
B2 - 10

Finally, a new page, and a new update.

Chapter 6.13: The Great Wall of Korinthos

Daedacles peered up at the wall, and then back again at his scroll.

"Are you sure you got that right, Atmose? The height of fifty men? Here it says five."

The Egyptian scholar in charge of overseeing this particular part of the wall shrugged. "Five, fifty, numbers are imaginary, dear Daedacles. It doesn't matter."

"It bloody well matters when you have my men piling up rocks fifty men high!" spluttered the Greek engineer.

"Well, what's the difference?"

"The difference is that a wall that is the height of fifty men, though impressive, takes too long to build." The voice was a feminine one, quiet and clear. The owner of the voice stepped in front of them, dressed in a resplendent gown with an ornate breastplate and helmet in the Greek style.

Daedacles bowed immediately. "My Lady Athena." Atmose looked indifferent, but bowed his head too in recognition of her status.

"Atmose, even now, the Emperor and the army fight to get back to our side. It is not time for foolish games."

The Egyptian's eyes narrowed, and in an instant his carefree demeanour was no more.

"If I may, Lady Athena, the Terasphagos will not be stopped by a wall the height of merely five men. The defenses around Olympus were constructed at that level, and we all know what has happened to them now. The Emperor will surely agree with my initiative." argued Atmose.

"You are right, but we do not have time and resources enough to build a wall ten times that height."

"What if I told you that we could?"

Athena's eyebrows perked up under her helmet. "Enlighten me."

The maneuver was successfully executed. You held the rear guard, staving off the Terasphagos that tenaciously nipped at the heels of your retreating army. By the time you passed the gates of the walls still under construction, you had lost merely a few thousand, less than the worst case scenario that you had envisaged. The Greek mainland was mostly lost, but at least the Greeks themselves would survive, in Peloponessus.

There was something about the walls that didn't strike you as right, however... you ask Athena about it.

"Athena, how fares the construction?"

"It fares fairly. I suppose you've noticed it, Ean?"

The goddess of wisdom had stopped addressing you by your title some time back, though when exactly, you were not sure. You were also not sure whether this meant that she had lost respect for your office, or if she felt familiar enough with you to use a more casual approach. You wouldn't find out easily - it was slightly aggravating that, over the years spent together in close cooperation, the immortals and Gieloth had naturally developed mental defenses to stop each other from reading their mind telepathically unless they allowed it.

"It's... taller than it should be. How would the wall hold up with such a height?"

"One of your spi... scholars proposed a new method of constructing this wall. The reasoning appears sound, though I can't imagine that it is something we would've thought of ourselves."

"You mean that it could've originated from a voice?"

"Yes. The scholar, Atmose, is not host to them, however. I checked that personally. He learnt it during one of his little assignments to the north."

Assignments. The north was quickly becoming a very suspicious place - you wonder if you should check it out one of these days, as your own watchers haven't been able to gain any footholds for years. It looks like you would have to emphasize that your watchers know that initiative was important, but too much initiative was dangerous - this was the risk of letting them operate independently for too long, effective though it was. You make a note to reel them in a bit in the future. It also looks like Athena now knew about your network, if she didn't already before. As she stares at you, waiting for you to say something, you rack your head quickly and decide to break out a grin. "Congratulations."

Athena is puzzled. "Why?"

"You passed the test."

"What test?"

"You found my watchers. I mean, it did take several decades, but now I'm sure that if anything happens to me, everything will be fine in your hands." Saying that, you nod your head sagely, as if it was all to your expectations. That worked somewhat - the flustered Athena shakes her head. "I have no idea what you are babbling about. You are the Emperor, so stop playing games with me. The people need you to be serious right now."

"Well." You shrug.

"Well what?"

"Well, what should we do about the Gieloth over in the East?" Artemis interrupted, all of a sudden. You hadn't heard her approach.

"Have things gotten worse?" you ask. Artemis shakes her head.

"It's gotten better. In a way."

You can't help but sigh. It looks like things are never going to be simple. What happened to the good old days of just charging in the general direction your king pointed you in? Oh right, you were the king now. Artemis continued her report.

"The immortals and the Gieloth have a ceasefire. The Yellow Emperor apparently came to some sort of agreement with the Gieloth."

"That's awfully vague, even for you, Artemis," you complain. "What else do you know?"

"Nothing more. They refuse to tell me the details too, for some reason."

Ean, check the network.

You turn to look at Edem, his face scrunched up in worry. This was the first you had seen him like that. Following his suggestion, you tap into the Gieloth communications network. The moment you do that, there is a sudden, strong sense of isolation and loneliness within you, and a small desire to head east.

"I think I may know a bit more," Edem speaks up. "The call has been sent out."

You look at him, thinking that you know what he is going to say next.

"The Gieloth are going to form the Tree."

A. You remain in Greece to continue overseeing the defense against the Terasphagos and investigate the rift when the incursion subsides. Everything else is of secondary importance.

B. The Gieloth are up to something big - it looks like you should not delay your trip to the East. You do not know when the Terasphagos incursion will end, and so you will not wait for it to do so before you head off.

C. The northern kingdom has been offering you help, discreetly or otherwise. You decide to find out what exactly is going on there. The Terasphagos can be held at Korinthos, while the Gieloth in the East probably won't grow too fast even if they have started forming their tree.

1. You continue building your wall at a ludicrous height, according to techniques apparently taught by the north.

2. You no longer trust the north, after all of this skullduggery, even if it is apparently to help you. You stick with the original plan for the wall.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Seriously, we've been battling this rift thing for quite some time now, at the cost of not interfering in china. And now you want us to gallivant away?

No, the way I see it, either we finish the rift job and go all in, or we check out the northern realm. I get the uneasy feeling that the new avatar is up there, and he's providing us with just enough help to check the Terasphagos incursion while he's just waiting to see what happens in China. Waiting to see if the immortals can deal with this shit on their own..
If we go north it's to learn what that kingdom is up to, and take whatever knowledge we can gain with us, then return to the rift business and close the damn thing.

Yes, the gieloth forming the tree is bad news. But so is millions of Terasphagos that pour out of an increasing miasma. We need to stop the rift. Then we stop the tree.

A1

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I can say with certainty choice A will have you finally find the rift, after a short timeskip. I'm no bastard. :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom