Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Baltika9

Arcane
The effect of the hunger will be minimized, you do not need to feed as much, you won't go berserk (unless you choose to work yourself towards that state of mind), but the corruption (i.e. tendency to become a self-righteous grimdark asshole) remains the same.

It's more of a figure of speech, but putting hunger in the sword means that you are far less hungry and can exert near total control when the sword is not in use. Hence you should not draw your blade lightly. Only use it if you mean to wound or kill someone. Terasphagos is unknown, you'll have to try it out.

Cumulative, unfortunately. Even if you feed only when absolutely necessary, your indefinite lifespan ensures that it is only a matter of time before you get to LARP a villain.

Mark my words, bros, and mark 'em well. This Anbar'Shi business is Bad Mojo.

treave: so, let me get this straight. The two Kings want to unite Egypt and Babylonia into one, sovereign nation, or what? Or is this just a simple alliance.
Also, when will you tell me about the doctrine that Ean introduced to Sumeria? Legionaries, phalanxes, or something else?
Answer me, I must know!
:x

As to the names, let me research mythology and symbolism, I think I have a good idea.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
"To see is to know, and in this world no one sees more clearly, and knows more truth, than the Emperor himself.

Before the Emperor's sight, we are all as the blind. The Emperor's sight is the only light we can trust to guide our way in this world.

A thousand kingdoms look to us, the Shin'ari and see the truth that we bring, and they rejoice, and they submit."

An empire with a culture that eventually evolves into one centered around seeing things as they are. The Eternal Emperor, the one who sees all, from the darkest depths of Olympus to the far flung shores of Cathay. The Emperor's legendary guard, the Eyeless White. Clad in pure white, they are his most loyal servants, blinding themselves in an act of faith to demonstrate the fact that before the all-seeing sight of the Emperor, all of mankind is blind in comparison and all should blindly trust in his lead. In return they are blessed with powers beyond mortal comprehension.

You are a young street urchin who never knew your parents, growing up in the slums of the great citadel city of Shin'ar. All your life you had looked up at the shining towers of the Emperor's palace, and dreamt of the luxuries within, yet you knew that fate had destined you to eke out a life down in the dumps. As it turns out, fate is fickle, especially if you poke your nose in matters that do not belong - like saving a young female acolyte of the Eyeless White from mysterious pursuers...

edit: The alliance is basically as good as a union, as far as the long term plans go. It will be gradual, but eventually they will be one nation. They will be trying to build a new identity as a people under you. Also, nothing important about the doctrines you need to know about, the phalanx and Roman testudo are also reliant on the equipment of the countries. Ean has introduced similar disciplined organization but with the focus on chariot warfare and the poorer quality of the equipment (it's an earlier age) there will be some differences.

oscar

Arcane
We need to whip out the old Sumerian/Babyloanian/whateverthehell-ian dictionary and find some cool words. I wouldn't make the name too Babylon-centic as who knows where we will end up expanding.

We need JarlFrank or someone with a degree in this stuff to help us out.

oscar

Arcane
Cumulative, unfortunately. Even if you feed only when absolutely necessary, your indefinite lifespan ensures that it is only a matter of time before you get to LARP a villain.

Really? No way whatsoever to reverse this?

Kipeci

Arcane
I think the language would be Akkadian or Coptic. Babylon was an Akkadian city, Sumerian's probably been gone for a while by now. Coptic is just the closest we have to the ancient Egyptian.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

Really? No way whatsoever to reverse this?

As an immortal, you will find that nothing is permanent in this world, but everything has its price.

edit: It looks like vote-wise things are pretty set. The only thing standing between this thread and 6.2 is now the naming of the empire.

Baltika9

Arcane
"To see is to know, and in this world no one sees more clearly, and knows more truth, than the Emperor himself.

Before the Emperor's sight, we are all as the blind. The Emperor's sight is the only light we can trust to guide our way in this world.

A thousand kingdoms look to us, the Shin'ari and see the truth that we bring, and they rejoice, and they submit."

Yep, congratulations, we just made the two most powerful nations on Earth mouthbreathing multikult 'tards, who will be lost without a an omnipresent nanny. Hitler and Stalin ahoy. I hope this is not canon and is fixable. Maybe I should just go back to making shitty one-liners and hurr-durr tentacle jokes, I swear times were easier back then. Fucking eyeless 'tards. What good is an eyeless bodyguard?
:butthurt:

As to the name: bros, Babylon's rather influential symbol is the Lion. The Lion is the "king of the land animals" And most of Egypt's cheif deities are either represented with bird heads, or are very much associated with the Sky. Theirs are the "kings of the sky."
Hence: Kingdom of Heaven and Earth. One of two options, then: Ankidan Empire (Ankida: literally, the joining of Heaven and Earth), or An'Ki Mulag (An-sky, Ki-earth, Mulag- intimate for friend/friendship)

Dur-An-Ki (bond of Heaven and Earth) shall be the proclamation of unity, and an Imperial festival. I insist.
Source:http://www.volker-doormann.org/engsum.htm

Kipeci

Arcane
Hence: Kingdom of Heaven and Earth. One of two options, then: Ankidan Empire (Ankida: literally, the joining of Heaven and Earth), or An'Ki Mulag (An-sky, Ki-earth, Mulag- intimate for friend/friendship)

Dur-An-Ki (bond of Heaven and Earth) shall be the proclamation of unity, and an Imperial festival. I insist.
Source:http://www.volker-doormann.org/engsum.htm
I'll go for it.

Baltika9

Arcane
Fucking eyeless 'tards. What good is an eyeless bodyguard?

Sorry bro. Either you get blind Grey Knights, or you don't get any at all. :troll:
Well, on the upside, at least we get to poke out Khaldor Draigo's eyes, so that's... that's something to look forward to. How soon will we get a chance to train them? And is the retardation of the populace avoidable? Or is our newfound Empire destined to turn into :patriot:?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well of course it's not destined to turn into anything. But without someone around to ensure it is always on the right path, the deviation of an empire's principles is inevitable. How much they change and what they change into is not set in stone, but they will.

It's a big responsibility, being an immortal emperor. It's not just about governing and meeting dignitaries and launching wars, after all. You are an eternal embodiment of the higher concepts of the empire. If you change, the empire changes with you. If you are not around, the empire will change without you. And that change affects the lives of millions.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well of course it's not destined to turn into anything. But without someone around to ensure it is always on the right path, the deviation of an empire's principles is inevitable. How much they change and what they change into is not set in stone, but they will.

It's a big responsibility, being an immortal emperor. It's not just about governing and meeting dignitaries and launching wars, after all. You are an eternal embodiment of the higher concepts of the empire. If you change, the empire changes with you. If you are not around, the empire will change without you. And that change affects the lives of millions.

I tried to tell you, people, this was a bad idea.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
As long as you are around and don't fuck things up, it is a superb idea.

Even if you are not around, the superior organization and bureaucracy brought about by a well-designed empire will improve the lives of mankind far more than if they were still separated squabbling tribes.

No, not a bad idea at all. Relax.

newcomer

Learned
I'll go with Shin'ari

But I'm not entirely sure if we should enact such a culture that promotes narrow-mindedness (if the priests says it's wrong, then it's wrong; if we're not around, that is)
So treave , if Ean goes DEVOUR SOUL! or WAAAGHHH! the empire will go the same way also? :troll:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Everyone seemed keen on Smashing Axe's suggestion. I will be writing up the shift in culture based on that. It's not going to be narrow-minded... for now at least.

edit: He'd need to rule for so long that there are very little records from when he wasn't in power to make such a drastic shift, but yeah, he could. Once Emperor Ean has always ruled, Emperor Ean is always right.

Baltika9

Arcane
As long as you are around and don't fuck things up, it is a superb idea.

Even if you are not around, the superior organization and bureaucracy brought about by a well-designed empire will improve the lives of mankind far more than if they were still separated squabbling tribes.

No, not a bad idea at all. Relax.
You forgot who you're dealing with, didn't you?
And it's not about our empire I'm concerned. It's China, the North and the Rift that worry me the most. Well, alea iacta est, so I'd better zip up for now save my credibility for when it's needed.

Edit: at the very least, we're staying true to 40K lore. Too bad we won't follow through with it to the end.

Tigranes

Arcane
I didn't count, but looks like the votes are already pretty solidly made? In any case, Shi'nari seems a good name, and;

A A B1 C

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I know, I know! The Babylon-Egyptian Commonwealth : x

But seriously, if you insist on a name, treave, let it bhe Shin'ari. Though I do have the feeling that most ancient empires didn't quite have names. Not self-declared ones, at least. Even Imperium Romanum simply means The Area of Supreme Authority of the Romans. Same goes for pretty much everyone else, no?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hm, you're not going to instantly become the NAME Empire, it's something that'll happen over the course of this chapterupdate. Just getting the name and principles first so that I can try to make the transition organic. Might work out, it might not. We'll see.

Edit: at any rate it looks like we have a rough idea of what to do. Let's see what happens in the update.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave: say, how is Ean with bows and thrown weapons, considering he never wielded them in our knowledge?
Also, when we eat a person, and he has one, or several, particularly strong vices (e.g. lust, wrath, gluttony, greed, etc...) does Ean's character grow stronger in that/those particular vice(es)? Or does it not matter. In other words, if we eat enough rapists, will we end up like Jack the Ripper/Slaanesh/Sengoku Rance?

Edit: And if it will, what about Anbar-Shi? If we feed it particular people, will it mould itself to their vices?

god-eater-game-psp.jpg
That... didn't really answer my question. Yes or no?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
"Wait, why are you sending me up North?"

"I need someone I can trust there, someone who is good at laying low."

"Oh, right, thanks for the vote of confidence, Emperor. Don't you know anyone else who can do that? I hate cold. Warm places suit my sunny disposition much better."

"Nope."

"You sure you don't know anyone else who can lay low and get you information?"

"Nope."

"What about her?"

"Um."

"Yeah, thought so. Fine, I'll do it. You owe me one."

"I'm not sure what you're talking about. Thanks for going though."

"Sure you don't. Uh huh."

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Let's kill warriors in battle, that way we take their martial strength and honour within ourselves. True we might get some righteous rage, but hell, better than killing thieves and cutthroats. Since we're somehow gaining some of their "memories" it should also slowly up our martial prowess, which is always a good thing.

Alternatively, let's go murder scientists and steal their knowledge of the laws of the universe to increase our power range!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Chapter 6.2: Foundation of Empire

The Egyptians and Sumerians crowned you emperor soon after you agreed to their hopes. As a hero and living god known to both kingdoms, you were uniquely suited to stand as their head. The coronation was followed soon after by another joyous occasion: the marriage of Iltani to Akilhotep. Nabuchasar sent her off as if she were his own sister. It had been surprisingly easy to get Iltani to agree to the marriage. Her travels with you had shown her that you and her lived in two different worlds. You were, for all intents and purposes, a god, and she felt that she would never truly be good enough to stand by your side. Gudersu, on the other hand, was not too happy, but Iltani convinced him it was for the best, and that instead of being father-in-law to an emperor, he could at least be one to a king. Though her marriage was political, the Pharaoh soon grew on her, and before the first year of the empire’s founding ended she was already with child.

In the mean time, the Terasphagos occupied much of your attention. After running amok for the first year, in the second their activity was suddenly reduced for reasons beyond your knowledge. You took the opportunity to begin construction of fortifications around the rift. The Greeks were wary of Sumerians and Egyptians on their land again, but under your orders, your soldiers managed to earn their trust. A rudimentary wall began forming around Olympus, the construction halted only by occasional Terasphagos raids. In the months to come, you paid several personal visits to Greece to deliver aid to their people. Your soldiers served the dual duty of both guarding the Greeks from the Terasphagos and ensuring that they were also safe from the bandits that had sprung up after the end of the war. By the fourth year of the founding, when Iltani was expecting her second child, the Greek city states voted as one to officially come under your protection.

In that same year, an emissary from the northern kingdom arrived, bearing gifts of fur and jewels. He claimed to be from the court of King Egill, the Uniter of the North, who had heard of the troubles in the South and sought to learn more of it. As a diplomatic courtesy, you sent Mehrune together with the emissary on his return journey to the north, bearing your own gifts. Edem went - not altogether willing - with her, as you needed someone who was not mortal to keep an eye out, and he was good at being inconspicuous if he wanted to.

As the fifth year drew to a close, several unexpected events occurred. The Assyrians came to you complaining of major raids by Gutian warbands. Apparently news of the death of Marduk had spread to their ears, and they had finally become emboldened enough to attack Sumeria again. In Greece, Athena and Artemis had made a sudden reappearance, calling upon the Greeks to turn away from your empire. They have promised to defend the Greeks from the Terasphagos themselves, but for now few Greeks were eager to join their cause. You would have to make an appearance on one of these issues to ensure that they were resolved more quickly.

A. You head to Greece to parley with Athena and Artemis. Now that Zeus was gone, you might be able to draw them to your side and avoid unnecessary bloodshed. The Gutian problem can be left to Gudersu.

B. You attempt to solve the Gutian issue together with Gudersu, heading northeast into the mountains. The Greeks were still grateful to you for your aid, and you don’t expect Athena and Artemis to make any headway in Greece soon.

Sekhenun was currently busy converting the massive numbers of Sumerian astrologers into astronomers. She was also imparting a method of thought and inquiry to the scholars of your empire. You cannot send her off to Greece to negotiate with two immortals by herself, but perhaps she could help Gudersu out.

1. You send Sekhenun with Gudersu to ensure that the Gutians give them no trouble at all.

2. You bring Sekhenun with you to Greece as backup – you would not want to face Athena and Artemis alone.

3. You leave Sekhenun where she is, allowing her to continue her project.

Baltika9

Arcane
Let's kill warriors in battle, that way we take their martial strength and honour within ourselves. True we might get some righteous rage, but hell, better than killing thieves and cutthroats. Since we're somehow gaining some of their "memories" it should also slowly up our martial prowess, which is always a good thing.

Alternatively, let's go murder scientists and steal their knowledge of the laws of the universe to increase our power range!
See, what I was thinking is this: we feed Anbar-Shi with Lust. We get a harem. Every time we need to release some steam, we just go into our harem of Infinity +1 virgins and engage in debauchery. After we're done, BAM! Immortal children.
Of course, I'd rather it were Sekhenun, but I'll take what I can get. Ain't I a devious bastard?
Edit:
A- Gudersu is their King. If those cunts kill him, which they very well might, then they die. Immortals take precedence. We need some consorts. And does anyone seriously think they won't take Greece away from us? Now that we're the Emperor, it's time to make the difficult decisions.
3- Partly because of A and partly because of science.

Also, glad to see that Iltani is a smart girl after all. treave, how is our personal relationship with Sekhenun, hm?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom