Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Esquilax

Arcane
Yes, we can project a human presence, we've already done so before. I figured that getting near Edem would be as simple as disguising ourselves as one of Marduk's men, joining up with his remaining troops, then using telepathy to get close to Edem and communicate with him. Sek is alive and well in Babylon, so I'm hoping that means that he's willing to work with us here.

I didn't want to bring the Vajra fragment because I'm worried that its presence might react with Maduk's own piece and give us away before Ares has arrived. As amazing of a weapon as it is, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to square off against Zeus with all the pieces finally together either, as I could see that backfiring.

That's what I'm most uncertain about. Vajra undeniably gives us an edge, but it also throws a lot of unknowns into the mix. I really hope that our choice to send Iltani off won't cost us the victory here.

Baltika9

Arcane
We also might want to have Iltani wait until Ares passes her, or take a path that doesn't overlap with his. If he brings that piece of Vajra up, the Immortals will have two, Marduk will have one and we will have...zero.
Edit: and maybe give her a good luck kiss, so shr has motivation to stay alive. 'Sides, after going through all this sgit, she earned a reward from Big E.

Esquilax

Arcane
We also might want to have Iltani wait until Ares passes her, or take a path that doesn't overlap with his. If he brings that piece of Vajra up, the Immortals will have two, Marduk will have one and we will have...zero.

Great point. Having her go down the same path that a very pissed-off Ares is heading towards might be really bad. Let's look at alternatives:

As for paths down Olympus, you took the easiest one up. There's definitely other ways down which involve traversing wild terrain.

Let's look at Iltani's skill set:

“I’m handy with a sword.”

“I’m great with letters and numbers, and I also know plenty about the uses of plants. Father insisted that I learn as much as I could about civilized ways as I was to be a princess. He also made me study the precepts of some old Akkadian king that was a big influence on Sumerian military tactics.”

Okay, she's a member of a semi-nomadic tribe, so she probably has a keen sense of direction from all that moving around, and she's a herbalist, so she would know how to use the forest to make a poultice for herself if she were to get hurt. She also has enough skill with a sword to be able to deal with a wolf if she encounters one.

There's still the danger of running into Artemis in the wilds, but way less than running into Ares. I also have a feeling that Artemis would be more merciful than Ares would if she does encounter her. Good call, this is a far better bet.

newcomer

Learned
There's still the danger of running into Artemis in the wilds, but way less than running into Ares. I also have a feeling that Artemis would be more merciful than Ares would if she does encounter her. Good call, this is a far better bet.

If Iltani really bumped on Artemis, you can consider the Vajra piece lost. After all, they're bound to the voices, and I doubt the voices will let Iltani pass.

I'm thinking of something a bit crazy: Why not make Vajra part of our body / part of Honourblade? treave is that possible? Surely we can always shapeshift Honourblade to create a hollow structure in the middle where we can fit our Vajra piece nicely? Or change it to Mehlu's trident tip and fit Vajra as the hilt?

Other than that I have no objections on Esquilax's latest plans

EDIT: And the goodbye kiss :incline:

newcomer

Learned
Yup you can put it in your sword.

Great. And does it have a psychic identity? If yes is Marduk able to sense it, or are we able to hide it to some extent, like concealing it with Honourblade psychic presence?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If it doesn't call out to the other pieces in some way, and it doesn't have a perceptible presence unless you actually hold it, then we'll definitely want to hold on to the piece, preferrably inside our sword. Good catch, newcomer. :salute:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No psychic identity but when Anbar-Shi starts glowing it might be a bit of a giveaway. They won't be able to tell at aglance though. Well, at any rate sword is fine compared to where Hephaestus hid it...

newcomer

Learned
No psychic identity but when Anbar-Shi starts glowing it might be a bit of a giveaway. They won't be able to tell at aglance though. Well, at any rate sword is fine compared to where Hephaestus hid it...

:thumbsup:

Cool, Ean is a demigod after all

And if Marduk managed to steal our sword, it just means that we can attempt to scramble his mind for good due to the resonance or whatever Sekhenum was babbling about

And where did he hid it that it is too obvious? Under his pants maybe? :troll:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Welp, I've a pretty good idea on how the update will go now bar one thing: do you guys want to follow newcomer's suggestion of keeping the Vajra piece in Anbar-Shi, or do you stick with the prior plan of having Iltani take it off the mountain?

Baltika9

Arcane
Newcomer's idea is good, however, what will we do with Iltani? Proceed with the bonfire plan?
newcomer: Good-bye kiss implies we're not coming back. This is a "good luck, you better be alive and naked the next time I see you" kiss.
:rpgcodex:
treave: Is Honorblade wrapped up in cloth? And if not, can we wrap it up? And does Iltani know how to use bows and/or shields?

Edit: I just remembered, can't Ares sense people just like Ean?
You know, seems to me like we only have two options:
1: Iltani proceeds with the bonfire plan and hides the piece of Vajra, letting Ares pass her a respectable distance. She then picks it up, lights the bonfire and runs like hell down the path.
2: Ares down the road. Artemis and wolves in the wilds. Falling to death if she climbs down. Ironically, the safest place right now is with Ean. If she can grab a bow and get herself up the mountain, we might even have some long-range support.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Hopefully treave will post the update soon rather than waiting us to come to some kind of conclusion. I was under the impression that we send Iltani back to safety even if we don't give her Vajra. Bonfire plan and ScubaV's speech got my vote.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

changing my vote:
newcomer's idea + don't feed + sneak up + give Iltani the speech someone wrote earlier.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Edit: I just remembered, can't Ares sense people just like Ean?

Secondly, Ares is noted for physical skills, but he has access to other powers like you do. Expect minor telekinesis and telepathy, with a sprinkling of elemental powers. You don't know exactly how good he is at the other powers because he rarely uses them and if you want some score card detailing the Power Level of each of your enemies, you should find and ask someone who does that sort of cataloging

I think Iltani will be safe if she passes the hiding check.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, all right. Looks like an actual consensus is going to take forever since you guys are getting more and more creative the longer I wait. :lol:
Guess I'll just have to mix and match a bit, and keep this update to regular CYOA so that we can up the speed a bit. Sorry to ScubaV, but I'm going to try to convey the idea of your speech combined with the latest plan rather than cribbing the words wholesale. :salute:

Chapter 5.18: Peak

You put a hand on Iltani’s head, feeling a slight tremor go through her short frame as you did so. You look up at the mountain path, where the sounds of battle were beginning to recede. It looks like Marduk’s men were making quick progress.

“Ares will be coming here soon, and I have plans for him when he does. I’ll need to know when he’s coming. Can you do that for me?”

She nods. She had been silent ever since you began your trek up the mountain, and the bodies began piling up. Although she was familiar with death, it seemed that she was not familiar with death on this scale.

“Hide somewhere safe and prepare a fire. Ares’s passage should be unmistakeable, and he will not bother with anyone but me right now. Once you see him, light it up. I’ll keep an eye out for your signal.”

She nods again. You ruffle her straw-blonde hair and try to grin, despite the worries you have about the upcoming battle. “You’re the only one I have to do this. Don’t mess up and this should settle your debt to me many times over.”

It’s not about the debt.

“Hm?”

“I won’t mess up. Don’t be an idiot.”

“Ha, there’s the Iltani I know.”

She starts turning red, and begins to move away, but you keep your grip on her head firmly. “Wait.”

“Could you stop holding on to my head? What is it now?” she mutters indignantly. You turn her around to face you, and before she can react, you lean in and place your lips gently and quickly against her forehead.

“For luck. I’ll see you in while.”

Her face turns utterly red, but you don’t stay to wait for a reaction. In a blink of an eye, you are already gone, running towards the peak.

On your way up, you put on the helmet and breastplate of a fallen Sumerian. The pulsing Vajra piece was made part of Anbar-Shi. You could feel power coursing through the sword as you did so. A faint blue glow appears sporadically from the blade, as tiny sparks of electricity leap from it. You wrap up Anbar-Shi with strips of cloth from the fallen soldiers, and pick up a spear to wield. On your left arm – its form had almost returned but still lacked fingers, and did not move as you would like it – you strapped a shield to protect your flank. Something was better than nothing.

The very first person you met at the rear at the battle turned out,by a lucky twist of fate, to be Edem, commanding the last remaining tower from the rear. He does not notice your arrival, and you stand right below the tower before projecting a human presence. You feel his puzzlement, and then recognition.

I thought you were supposed to be in Egypt.

I was, then I pissed Ares enough to come after me.

Good show, I don’t think I’d like to be here when he reaches us.

I was thinking of letting Marduk deal with him, actually. How’s the fight going?

Pretty good, if you consider having most of our own men killed off as long as you win good. Marduk and Shamash are up front. The Greeks have somehow found it in themselves to fight fanatically for Zeus, but they will be slaughtered to the last man pretty soon. Speaking of Zeus – DUCK!

You see Edem leap from the top of the tower. A large streak of lightning strikes the place where he was moments before, and the tower instantly bursts into flames.
Edem lands besides you with a thud and sighs loudly. You look at up the dark skies, which appeared to be clearing up.

That’s our last one. It’s too late to make a difference, though. Looks like Zeus is all out of bolts too… and shush, he comes. If you’re going to make a move, I’m with you.

Edem’s presence melts away from your mind quickly.

“Edem!”

A tall, broad-shouldered man comes crashing through the ranks. Despite wearing common armour and clothing, you recognize his bearded face from the numerous statues back in Babylon.

Marduk.

Edem bowed, and spoke carefully and politely, “It looks like your gambit was correct, sire. Zeus was too distracted by the power of our towers and wasted his bolts against them. Now he has nothing to defend himself with.”

“No, Zeus is wily and cautious. There is always one last bolt.” Marduk pointed upwards, where the skies remained grey. “He is just waiting for the right time to fry me with it. Pity, he is going to miss. Shamash is acting as my decoy, wearing my armour at the front. The disguise is almost perfect. One more push and he will be forced to play his hand.” At this, Marduk grinned viciously. Turning about, he notices you standing besides Edem. He stares at you for a long, uncomfortable while, and you make a quick bow, keeping your head down.

“You look like you can fight. What is your name?” Marduk asks.

“Naram, Lord Marduk. I used to be a shepherd, Lord Marduk.”

“Those must be some very vicious sheep you have there, Naram. Were they what mauled your arm? Well, the battle’s end is close at hand. When I am god over the Greeks too, you will all be blessed with untold riches and glory.”

He chuckles for a while, and adds, “If you survive.”

Thunder booms across the sky and it darkens yet again. This time, rain begins to fall. Strong winds begin to blow about and you are forced to steady yourself to maintain your balance. It looks like Zeus had saved his best shot for last. Looking at Marduk, you see that he stands unaffected, his cloak and hair unmoving despite the forceful winds. You could just about notice a slight movement in the air around him, a protective cocoon of wind that negated the gale brought about by Zeus’s storm. An expression of almost gleeful confidence has set upon his face.

“Shamash is charging, my lord?”

“Yes. Zeus is falling for it!”

Anbar-Shi thrums as it senses the gathering storm…

A. You await Zeus to strike Shamash. Once Marduk prepares to go back to the front, you and Edem will attack him from behind, trying to cut him down right where he stands.

B. Ares is not yet here. You will follow Marduk back to the front and battle towards Zeus until Ares reaches the rear of the Sumerians and Egyptians. You will then exploit the havoc caused by his arrival to try and stab Marduk in the back.

C. You attack Marduk before Zeus unleashes his bolt. With any luck, you can force Marduk to reveal his power, attracting Zeus’s attention – and thus his lightning bolt.

D. Having brought a piece of Vajra with you, you can sense the immense power gathered in the storm over you. You realize that if you time it right, you can add the power of your Vajra fragment to Zeus’s strike and hijack it to hit Marduk. FRY THE MOTHERFUCKER!

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I'm liking D. It could open up a new skill tree. And that way we maintain secrecy, there is no way that bolt is tracked back to Ean. And what's best, if it doesn't work, we still have Edem in our sleeve.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Yeah, all right. Looks like an actual consensus is going to take forever since you guys are getting more and more creative the longer I wait. :lol:

Finally! Told ya it'd end up like that :P

I'm liking D. It could open up a new skill tree. And that way we maintain secrecy, there is no way that bolt is tracked back to Ean. And what's best, if it doesn't work, we still have Edem in our sleeve.

Yep, D sounds sensible. Though I suspect the bolt might fry us a bit too :D

Baltika9

Arcane
D!
The skill options are always the best. We expend none of our power and can kick Ares in the nuts. And save Iltani.
The cocoon worries me insofar as it could be a telekinetic shield and will negate our sneak attack.
Edit2: Or his Vajra piece negates ours. And no, I don't think his shield will work against empowered, overcharged lightning. D is the best option here, I'm sure.
On second thought, treave can Ean sense anything unusual about Marduk? Besides being a super-powered Gieloth?
Edit2: Also, when Ean kills Marduk, can he say something like "Surprise motherfucker!This is what you get for stealing my shit." And how is Panharth's knowledge. We got anything yet? How about the Tentaculos Mexicanos?

newcomer

Learned
D

Isn't this one of the reasons we bring Vajra in the first place?

Wait, protective cocoon of wind? Can it negate lightning strikes? I hope anyone can confirm
Changing vote to A for now

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom