Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggestion: lulz button

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ban skuphundaku

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
As for abuse, that cuts both ways, especially when dealing with the spill out coming from GD. Having negative ratings gives you an easy way of calling out retardation.
Now that's exactly why negative ratings are that bad. By looking at someone's profile you will be able to judge "hmm, this guy has a lot of negative ratings, I bet he's a dumbfuck that doesn't know shit about RPGs". And it won't matter that these ratings were obtained in political discussion by ideologically motivated opponents.
How many people look at the overall ratings and say "WOW! This guy must really know a lot about RPGs!"? Not even the newest of the newfags aren't that gullible (I hope). The whole ratings thing is more of a popularity contest and should be, on a per-user basis, disregarded. I, for one, certainly do that. The old way of brofisting was very useful because it was easy to see who agreed with each rated post. If there is something I would bring back, that would be it.

Revenant

Changing positivity and negativity of ratings after they were introduced and used is cheating.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
"disagree" is listed a neutral rating, "retarded" is negative.
Now think for a minute what exactly is a neutral rating. You acknowledge being neutral to a statement. If this isn't unnecessary information, I don't know what is.
It's like you're being deliberately retarded. It's got nothing to do with the score. The entire concept of this is you can look at a post and see who agrees or disagrees with it. It's as simple as that. Using it as some sort of internal scoring system is only beneficial in the same way that the dumbfuck tag was beneficial. You should be able to identify the retards that nobody likes.

As for abuse, that cuts both ways, especially when dealing with the spill out coming from GD. Having negative ratings gives you an easy way of calling out retardation.
Now that's exactly why negative ratings are that bad. By looking at someone's profile you will be able to judge "hmm, this guy has a lot of negative ratings, I bet he's a dumbfuck that doesn't know shit about RPGs". And it won't matter that these ratings were obtained in political discussion by ideologically motivated opponents.
If you're posting so much in the political forum - and there are so many people who disagree with you that you're receiving a barrage of constant butthurts / retarded - and you're posting so little useful posts in the RPG forums that you're not getting a lot of brofists, than yes, one would think that would be a fair assessment to make.

Revenant

It's like you're being deliberately retarded. It's got nothing to do with the score. The entire concept of this is you can look at a post and see who agrees or disagrees with it. It's as simple as that. Using it as some sort of internal scoring system is only beneficial in the same way that the dumbfuck tag was beneficial. You should be able to identify the retards that nobody likes.
Just 30 minutes ago "I agree" was a positive rating. Of course, it's easy to rewrite the history being an administrator.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Instead of having a single, non-intrusive and discreet link, we now have a bunch of pretty pictures you can click on.

This will surely facilitate the much desired development of mature discussion on the forums. Nothing like having a well-thought opinion on something reduced to an attention deficient basement-dweller flinging virtual poo on you by clicking on a pretty picture.

Well, at least the poo-flinging basement-dwellers will have a fairer chance at participation despite their inability form coherent sentences.

Agree / Disagree can be used for within post voting. (Vote agree if you want to take option A, B if you disagree) or are far more "considered" than the "HIGH-FIVE MAN" nature of the brofist. Agree & Disagree are both neutral.

Your so called "post voting" is still measuring me as the poster and not the argument I wish to present. Having a question on a post result in 200 alerts that show up in your permanent voting history is sensible exactly how?

If the question was somehow important enough that we need to decide weather the post represents a consensus, a poll would be in order.

In the end - don't post anything. Not because of the risk of someone disagreeing with you and rating your posting "retarded" or "butthurt", but because you'll be showered with inane alerts on the ratings.

Good job making even RPG Watch seem appealing.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I hate this as much as you but calling RPG Watch a place that "seems appealing" is like saying that having acid injected into your veins seems appealing. Have you seen that place? It's frightening. We'd die there, so to speak.

Revenant

Just 30 minutes ago "I agree" was a positive rating.
And? Brofist is positive as is "lulz". OH NOEZ ppl voet LULZ you post funny it encourage you b funny get lulz +1+1+1.
Nothing, nothing. Everything is just fine, as long as you keep purchasing useless popamole mods instead of fixing broken stuff. This isn't some prestigious monocle gaming forum or something.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In the end - don't post anything. Not because of the risk of someone disagreeing with you and rating your posting "retarded" or "butthurt", but because you'll be showered with inane alerts on the ratings.

If someone wants to do it to you, they can shower you with alerts on your old posts. I woke up with almost 600 of them this morning, so not posting won't hold back the barbarian hordes.

Also, it's not worth even considering caring about the fact that someone may "butthurt" or "retarded". If they have a bone to pick with you, they'll get to you anyway, so, by not posting, you're just self-censoring yourself... to no benefit, I might add. Haba, if you don't post, teh ter'rists win!:flamesaw:

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Instead of having a single, non-intrusive and discreet link, we now have a bunch of pretty pictures you can click on.

This will surely facilitate the much desired development of mature discussion on the forums. Nothing like having a well-thought opinion on something reduced to an attention deficient basement-dweller flinging virtual poo on you by clicking on a pretty picture.
Yes, and people said the same thing about brofist when that was first brought in. Instead, people used it as a useful way of saying "I agree with you / you rock / thanks man" without having to post "I agree with you / you rock / thanks man". Typically people who aren't interested in posting in the first place.

Now look at everyone begging for it to come back as the only option.

Agree / Disagree can be used for within post voting. (Vote agree if you want to take option A, B if you disagree) or are far more "considered" than the "HIGH-FIVE MAN" nature of the brofist. Agree & Disagree are both neutral.
Your so called "post voting" is still measuring me as the poster and not the argument I wish to present.
In what way? If I see a post by you, and it has 200+ disagrees, I think it's fair to say that 200+ people disagree with you on that particular post. In what way is that confusing?

Having a question on a post result in 200 alerts that show up in your permanent voting history is sensible exactly how?
Oh noes, people who agree with you will be marked as agreeing with you forever. What BS is this? It's a simple concept. You post something that someone agrees with, they get to express that to you in a very simple and clear way.

That is all.

If the question was somehow important enough that we need to decide weather the post represents a consensus, a poll would be in order.
Yeah, given the number of times I've posted "brofist this post if you want me to do XYZ" in the middle of a thread, no.

alertsgobyebye.png

Your entire argument = moot. And currently, you should only be getting 1 alert for a given post (no matter how many ratings it receives), rather than 200 for everyone who votes agree on that given post (though I believe revisiting the post resets that).

You've basically just said "if 200+ people disagree with my post and quote me and reply with 'you're an idiot', thus alerting me to it - than I don't want to hear it nah-nah-nyah-nah-nah".

Incidentally, the only people who are being "inundated with alerts" are those who have been targeted with all their posts rated. And like those who abused the brofist feature when it was first implemented, those users have had their rights taken away.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The reduced amount of ratings is even more pointless. What exactly is the diffference between brofist, thank you, and agree? They're not different enough to warrant three different ratings. Why not just remove all of them and only leave the brofist?

This, a thousand times this.

At least make the whole thing optional. I don't want to see icons in every damn post.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If you're posting so much in the political forum - and there are so many people who disagree with you that you're receiving a barrage of constant butthurts / retarded - and you're posting so little useful posts in the RPG forums that you're not getting a lot of brofists, than yes, one would think that would be a fair assessment to make.

You've underlined the problem:
people disagree with you, so you get branded "retarded".

If you want to haze someone for being a moron, you should have to exert some effort. It shouldn't be something you achieve by repeatedly pressing a button.

The warning point system is much better for identifying shitposters as you have to go through the trouble of reporting the post(er) and having a mod review. All the while risking yourself the potential wrath of the crazed administrator.

If you want to discourage posting in GD forums, there are much better ways to achieve that. Although it is completely different question if that should be done in the first place. Improving the level of discussion is surely not achieved by turning it into button pressing contest by the opposing opinion holders.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DarkUnderlord
What's good in small amounts doesn't necessarily scale upwards. One type of brofist = good. Seven varieties of brofist = WTF.

Beyond the uselessness of it, this new system is also just too much clutter. It's aesthetically unpleasing. And it slows down the forum.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member

You've underlined the problem:
people disagree with you, so you get branded "retarded".
Are you new here? Your join date says 2008 but it's like you've never been on the Codex before.

Yes, when lots of people disagree with your inane, stupid shit, you get branded retarded.

Look at FretRider. Can you honestly say many people here agree with him on anything? Nope, they don't - and he's been branded retarded. Well damn straight, the guy IS a fucking retard.

Welcome to the Codex, enjoy your stay.

Though I would point out that "retarded" and "disagree" are two separate buttons.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I want to see who's brofisting who, there is a big difference between Azrael's fists, Mondblut's fists and Konjad's fists. No, I will not click on that shitty "list" button.

Also, I'm a newfag here... Why am I able to brofist people like everyone else?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom