Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I see no reason for this to be a trap, other than narrative causality. Sometimes fortuitous events just happen. If you see an opportunity, you take it, you don't wait for it to pass on the oft chance some omnipresent mastermind has been watching you and has predicted your every action.

We don't know if we can take this guy in a straight up fight in our present condition, right now we have to take ever opportunity for victory, or forever be lost in the annals of history.

Keep in mind our current power, we're only slightly better than a normal human at the moment, we're almost back where we started. We just cannot afford anymore to pass up any opportunity for an edge over the enemy.

Esquilax

Arcane
I see no reason for this to be a trap, other than narrative causality. Sometimes fortuitous events just happen. If you see an opportunity, you take it, you don't wait for it to pass on the oft chance some omnipresent mastermind has been watching you and has predicted your every action.

We don't know if we can take this guy in a straight up fight in our present condition, right now we have to take ever opportunity for victory, or forever be lost in the annals of history.

I think that there's more to this series of events than just happy coincidence. I'm not saying that someone was watching us and planning to screw us over somehow, that would be ridiculous and paranoid, I'm saying that things probably aren't quite what they seem.

Look at the facts: the Gutians are far from home, vastly outnumbered, and they are attacking a Gieloth general - this can't be random, there must have been a reason that someone would be confident enough to go after such a powerful target like this in the first place despite the long odds.

Keep in mind our current power, we're only slightly better than a normal human at the moment, we're almost back where we started. We just cannot afford anymore to pass up any opportunity for an edge over the enemy.

Certainly, we need to take steps to build up our strength up if we are ever going to have any hope of taking on Marduk, but we can't grasp blindly at every opportunity for power that comes to us. We have to remain aware that things aren't always what they seem. I hope I'm wrong about this.

Kipeci

Arcane
So what if these barbarians were directed by someone else to kill the general? How does that change our situation? We want to kill the guy, so it's best to do it when they're distracted by the need to murder the angry folks in the opposite direction. Is it convenient? Sure, but if this is some sort of trick to get us to attack, well... the other option is just to attack anyway, only when this distracting group is gone, so we may as well strike when it best suits us.

A.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A
B
B
A
A
B
A
A
A
A
A
B
B
A
A

A - 10
B - 5

Chapter 5.5: Gudersu and the Gutians

Your cultists let loose a volley of arrows at the supply guards, and go on the attack. Hollering what they think to be bandit-like profanities, they jump into the fray with great glee. Mehlu's men, pressed on all sides, are about to break. Unsheathing your sword, you run in, heading for the Gieloth general. All about you men were screaming and dying, but that did not matter to you now. Mehlu had unleashed his transformation, sending tendrils to wrap about the sword-arm of the Gutian who had attacked him. The man screamed in pain as a hissing, crackling sound came from his arm. Mehlu hefted his spear and prepared to send it into the man's heart. He didn't - couldn't - sense you walking up behind him... but one of his soldiers was looking out for him, and shouted a warning just before you struck. Your stab missed its mark by a bit, nicking a good bit of the flesh from his sides. Mehlu jumped back, twirling his spear. More tendrils flooded out of the wound, flailing around in an attempt to capture you. You step and dance around the tendrils, gently deflecting with telekinesis what you can't evade cleanly.

At the same time, Mehlu's golden spear made blindingly quick thrusts at you. They were fast, but he was predictable, and you managed to parry his attacks. He was strong, stronger than you - but you are better. He has fallen into the flow of your movements and you have him exactly where you want him. As he attempts another futile stab with his three-pronged spear, you brace your blade under his outstretched spear, and with a twist, flick it out of his hands... well, you tried. The spear did not move from Mehlu's hands. A grin spread across his face.

He had been saving his strength from the start of the battle. Twisting the spear and thrusting it forward, he locks your sword-arm behind you. You have no choice but to let go of the sword and unsheathe a knife with your other hand, but Mehlu is ahead of you there and slams the pole of the spear into you as you move forward. You tumble to the ground. In a flash you are back on your feet, just in time to lean away from another spear thrust that comes perilously close to opening up your side. It looks like you have to fall back - the head-on approach wasn't working. Mehlu knew how to use the spear's length well.

You run, into the fighting crowd, dodging the wild attacks of Gutians and Babylonians alike. Mehlu looked around him, confused. He couldn't sense you within the crowd. You see the barbarian giant attempting to raise his sword to attack Mehlu, who kicked him back to the ground brutally before continuing to look for you.

The time was now. You shove a Babylonian soldier at Mehlu's back.

Even before he has finished turning around, Mehlu has run the spear through the soldier's chest. Not giving him the chance to fully realize his mistake, you step forward quietly, very closely behind him, and he felt only the sting of your knife as it slipped neatly into the armour and through his spine, where his core was located. With a shudder, he falls wordlessly, the tendrils crumbling into smoky remnants.

That was... easy. All things considered.

You rip your knife out of his spine, bringing out the orb impaled on it. It was an ugly, green, fleshy thing, utterly unappetizing to you. You pluck it from the blade and shove it in your robes. You can eat it later.

All around you, the Babylonian soldiers were fleeing. You are about to heft a sigh of relief, but then, you see the Gutians engaging with your men. It looks like they were in a fight over the supplies the Babylonians had left behind. With their weapons out and the heat of battle still upon them, already blood had been drawn from your men and the Gutians. Some of the cultists and one tribesman lay dead in front of the caravans. You head towards the Gutians - if that was how they wanted to play it...

"STOP! YOU FECKLESS IDIOTS!"

The large Gutian roars, his voice echoing off the cliff. Clutching his half-eaten arm, he gets to his feet shakily. Now that you stood besides him, you could tell that he was truly huge, towering over you by a full head and a half. He had fair hair and skin, as did all the Gutians. A great bushy beard dominated his face. "These bandits saved my life by coming when they did. That misbegotten monster of Marduk's almost had me... truly the God-King can call upon demons to do his bidding. Now, there are plenty of spoils to go around. Plenty for all of us. I am sure we can share?" As the Gutians step back, looking ashamed, the giant looks at you, waiting for your answer. You see no reason why not - the supplies were just a bonus for the cult.

"But, Dread Master, they killed Garam!" protested one of the cultists. "He was a good man!"

Probably most people here were good men, even the dead soldiers. You've seen enough to know that good men tend to do terrible things. His death was a pity, but inconsequential in the larger scheme of things. You raise your voice. "Aye, a good man, and that is why Lord Shulgi has raised him up to the gardens of paradise before any of you! His faith has served him well, and should any of you prove worthy, as the emissary of Death herself I shall reunite you with our god personally." You wave your hand at the caravans. "Now, get to checking the supplies. Keep an eye out for anything different." You turn back to the Gutian leader, feeling that you've never really gotten the knack of giving speeches. Surprisingly, he holds his uninjured arm out, to the side, as if readying for an embrace.

"You are like Ningursu himself, come down to aid his faithful! Hug me, brother!"

A bit embarrassed, you gingerly hug the large man. You suppose that was a compliement on his part. Ningursu was the god of war in the pantheon, and one of the few Sumerian gods that the Gutians actually worshipped.

"The way you dispatched that monster... beautiful! You are wasted on petty banditry, brother!" You seem to recall Garam saying something about Gutian bandits, and reply. "Are you not also a bandit?"

The man snorts. "I am Gudersu, and I take only what is needed to feed my people. We will not let that damned God-King chase out of our own lands!"

"If I remember correctly, your people came from the western mountains and conquered these lands."

"Exactly! A man who knows history is a man after my own heart! My tribe led the great alliance two hundred years ago. My great, great grandfather was the first Gutian King of Sumeria. I, Gudersu, am a royal king! As a descendant of those that conquered these lands, I am the rightful king of Sumeria."

"Marduk conquered these lands too. Shouldn't the right of kingship be his now?"

"For now. Right until I break his neck." Gudersu grins. "Until then, I rule over wherever his reach does not extend... and his reach does not extend to many places." He waves his arm all around him. Strong as Marduk was, even his armies couldn't patrol every inch of the empire. Gudersu's tribe must be moving from spot to spot, never staying in a single place.

"So, why have you moved here, Gudersu? It is quite close to Marduk's throne, and surely his reach extends here."

Gudersu pauses for a while, then laughs. "Glory! Goods! I'm thinking soon it is the time for the Gutians to raid Babylon again... teach Marduk that we are to be feared. Come to think about it, why don't you join us? We Gutians do not discriminate by blood, unlike the pansies in the cities. What matters is the strength of it, and your blood is strong. I like it. Why not come with us, you and your men? We can raid together!"

You chuckle. "Sorry. I have other banditry to perform in the area that is of a more quiet nature."

"Ah, you are a thief as well as a robber and a great warrior. You are a man of many talents, my bandit friend. We could really use your skills. You saved my life, and I need the chance to save yours!"

"You could... say that. But no, I do have some personal matters I need to resolve with just my band of men."

"Ah, a personal matter. I have heard of those in the tales your people sing. Usually a woman is involved. It is unfortunate, but I will not stand in the way." Gudersu gives a big shrug and walks towards the caravan. He turns back towards you a few steps later, and says to you hopefully, "If it is women... why not come meet my daughter? She takes after me, handsome and strong. A nice young man like you would like her."

An image of a female Gudersu popped into your mind, unbidden, and you laugh. "No, thank you, Gudersu. I do appreciate the offer but I have other things to settle at the moment. Maybe afterwards."

"Ah, is that it? Pity. Such a pity." He gives another big shrug, looking disappointed, and walks off.

When the dust had cleared, the cultists having scavenged what they needed, you bid farewell to Gudersu. He gave you another big hug, telling you to visit him, before moving off with his tribesmen on horses that they had hidden beyond the cliff.

Back in Babylon, you leaned Mehlu's golden spear against the wall as you freshened up. You suppose you should get the eating over with... you bring out the round, fleshy orb. It still looked unappetizing, even though you could feel some hunger rising within you. Before you could eat, however, Sekhenun walked into the room. She gives a slight yelp of disgust, seeing you about to bite into the orb.

"Would you mind? Please do knock next time." you quip.

"Don't eat that in front of me, please. I'm just here to tell you about the next targets you can get to and I certainly don't want to see you smearing Gieloth juices all over your mouth."

"Oh sure, I'll just wait until you leave. Right. What do you have for me?"

A. Nusku had been obtaining more human specimens for his experiments lately. He grabs the homeless and the poor from the shanties around Babylon. The increased demand has made his catchers less discriminating about who they capture and deliver - you could probably get 'caught' and get in close enough to assassinate the Gieloth.

B. Gamilsin has a taste for brothels despite his penchant for murder, where he reenacts his favourite scenarios non-lethally. This is a public secret, though to keep up his strict moralistic appearance, he goes about his visits quietly with minimum fuss. It appears one of the cultists working there has been booked for his next visit - she can help you come up with a plan to deal with him.

C. Although Mehlu died on his way to the fort, supplies still needed to be sent. This time, Marduk is sending the three fledglings but with five hundred men to the fort. Human lives, after all, are cheaper than those of valuable Gieloth.

D. Dakuri still continues to perform his weekly visits. He would be an easy mark on his way back from the tavern at night.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Is Gamilsin a Gieloth? I'm leaning towards B if he is. I'd like to leave Nusku alive if at all possible since he could be useful to us once Marduk is taken down, and Dakuri presumably won't increase our powers much.

C could mean another encounter with Gudersu, who could prove to be a useful ally in our effort against Marduk. I don't think his motives are that suspicious, but there could be something else there behind him.

Is there anything special about the spear, or is it just a memento?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Gamilsin is human. Things are never that simple, though. Spear is special, just felt that the update was too long as it is.

oscar

Arcane
Gudersu is a true BRO.

D. No point going for the hard option just because it's hard. Though B is similarly tempting. But sounds a bit more risky.

Esquilax

Arcane
I'm happy I was wrong about the Gutians.

Gamilsin seems to be an Inquisitor of some sort, so killing him would be more useful than killing Dakuri because it would be harder for Marduk's people to root us out:

Gamilsin – head of the militant priests, who attempt to ensure that worship of the God-King is the most important aspect of the populace’s religion, and stamp out unapproved cults with torture and murder.

A man being killed in some seedy whorehouse shouldn't be too difficult to cover up. He wasn't even supposed to be there to begin with.

I'd rather not go after a big target like Nusku - the guy isn't a direct combat threat and killing two Gieloth in quick succession is really asking for it. Attacking the fort is foolish for the same reasons.

B

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I'm happy I was wrong about the Gutians.

Gamilsin seems to be an Inquisitor of some sort, so killing him would be more useful than killing Dakuri because it would be harder for Marduk's people to root us out:

Gamilsin – head of the militant priests, who attempt to ensure that worship of the God-King is the most important aspect of the populace’s religion, and stamp out unapproved cults with torture and murder.

A man being killed in some seedy whorehouse shouldn't be too difficult to cover up. He wasn't even supposed to be there to begin with.

Come to think of it, he does make a more reasonable target. Flopping to B.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Yeah sounds good, maybe if we eat him we'll gain the powers Nusku has probably bestowed upon him.

B

newcomer

Learned
B

And the Gieloth juice... smear it to our face... and ask Sekhenum to clean (lick) it :incline:
After all Gieloth have cannibalistic appetite right? :smug:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Raiding the supply caravan would make sense because it could be interpret as a riding party or a war party but not an attack against the gieloth. But I'm not sure if we can take 500 men. Nusku the scientist sounds like an easy prey so taking out Gamilsin, while we still have suprise element on our side, would be smart. But then again we could be fighting against an army of humans with gieloth powers if we don't take Nusku out.

If anyone can come up with a good plan for C, then you have my vote. Otherwise I'm indifferent between A and B. As long as D don't win.

Baltika9

Arcane
A corrupt jackass gets murdered in a brothel? Could be anybody, and with good reasons. No reasoning to connect this with an ambush by lead by Gaitians. Smart plan, Bros, I flopped.

Esquilax

Arcane
A corrupt jackass gets murdered in a brothel? Could be anybody, and with good reasons. No reasoning to connect this with an ambush by lead by Gaitians. Smart plan, Bros, I flopped.

It's not just the plausible deniability of assassinating Gamilsin that I like, it's also the fact that it works beautifully with our long-term goals. With the head of the Inquisition wing of the Marduk cult dead, our cultists have some room to manoeuvre. We can start being more aggressive in recruiting more people into the cult because the religious authorities are going to be too distracted finding a replacement for Gamilsin to make efforts to root out heretics. In the meantime, we can also work towards cementing an alliance with the barbarians (maybe we can get Sekhenun on it?). Once we do that, we'll have the makings of an actual army on our hands.

The only thing I'm really concerned about is the potential for internal conflict between the cultists and the Gutian tribesmen. We didn't usurp Shulgi's cult, so I'm not sure how we're going to maintain cohesion between those two groups. The tribesmen might eventually begin worshipping Ean, but the Shulgi cultists might see that as blasphemy. This could be a serious problem down the road, and I'm not sure how to deal with it.

We went for a bold move last time, and it paid off. Now's the time to consolidate our power and go for bigger game next time. I don't fancy meeting Nusku's Space Marines on the battlefield, but going after him now is sure to cause a shitstorm afterwards. Terrible move in the long-term; so is hitting the fort a second time. That well's gone dry, time to do something else.

D could actually be really good if it turns out that Dakuri is willing to turn against Marduk. A defection would be much better for us than an assassination. I'm actually hoping that we can sway a few human lieutenants to our side in the future. What better weapon is there than to turn your own enemy's soldiers against him? But still, we don't know this guy or his attitude toward Marduk, so it's a bit of a wild card.

Baltika9

Arcane
Actually, I liked your suggestion about getting Nusku on our side. It has great potential. So, what we need to do for that is to have him convinced, absolutely convinced, that wqe're the winning side. Pull off a couple more assassinations, show him that we're big game, get a solid force behind us. Make him question Marduk's authority. Beat the shit out of him and force a promise onto him. In the end, I'd like to have him on our side.

The fact that it will "encourage" Sekhenun to be much more cooperative in professional and...less-than professional dealings is just a bonus, as far as I'm concerned. Once we have him, she's not irreplaceable and all that.

ScubaV

Prophet
Yeah, I think B is the smart move here, though I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's tougher than a normal human. Perhaps he has Gieloth power courtesy of Nusku as Smashing Axe suggested.

I'm curious how long it will take to see some power gains, how fast we can "fill our container with water" to use Sekhenun's analogy. I imagine all these assassinations will take place over a period of weeks, maybe a few months. Can we become strong enough to face Marduk by then? Even if we eat all our targets, we're dependent on how quickly the water fills.

I'm also very interested in this spear and I'd love an opportunity to forge another Honorblade. Maybe the spear is/was Mehlu's Honorblade?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom