Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, I meant for everyone. I mean, I can accept people disagreeing with me, but the huge flood of x1s is pretty surprising if you consider the implications.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
A1. We can always free Sekhenun of her vow, we shouldn't be doing it now. We might offer her a bargain though. But only if she agrees to the following: In exchange for freeing her of her vow, she tells us all about the Gieloth-Master war, the Gieloth politics and promises to remain our faithful ally. I'd also like to know who Zeus really is (master/immortal/gieloth?). It'd appear Sekhenun knows that.

Esquilax

Arcane
Hey, I never wanted to become a flesh-eating monstrosity in the first place. I voted to let Ean die, remember? Seriously.

Honestly, I really don't mind if other people vote otherwise. I just don't want to do so personally.

I didn't vote for him to be a flesh-eater either, but here we are, so we've gotta live with it. Raising an army and letting her feed off humans doesn't exactly mingle well together. People might start noticing, it'll cause internal strife and it'll fuck up our plans. If she raises the subject, we can think about it, but right now, it doesn't seem like such a great idea.

She's clearly hiding something. For example:

You raise an eyebrow. That seems to be a very tall order. Sekhenun continues to speak, “Left unchecked, the two of them will tear this region apart in their bid to wipe out the other.”

I don't see why she'd give a shit about an Immortal and a Gieloth tearing the region apart. She doesn't care about humans, but she knows Ean does. This isn't her real motive, I'm pretty sure it's something she said to get Ean to trust her. And until she starts giving some more honest answers, we can't in good conscience let her feed.

If you want to call that hypocrisy, fine. I call it realpolitik.

Allowing her to feed would make sense if you vote C1, though. We work out a deal in which we allow her to kill humans from the battlefield or those from the Marduk's regime, but no innocents. Ean would get crushed by Marduk on his own at this point, but with Sekhenun's powers restored, he might stand a chance. Then we can move on to Zeus immediately after we take the country.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave: Treavebro, very important detail.
Update 3.23:
"Anyway, there is something happening with the Gieloth. I am not sure what is going on myself, but there have been... problems."
I'd be extremely appreciative if Ean had the common sense of asking Sekhenun what this is all about. If my theory holds, the Gieloth, as a side effect of this much time inside a human host become more "human" then "gieloth".

P.S.: And you know what puzzles me the most, bros? What happened at Tuwanu all those years/updates ago? Did I miss something? A curse, or maybe they were raised as haunting ghosts/undead for the gieloth army? Killed and eaten by Sekhenun's sister(and we really should also ask about the whole he/she/it thing, treave)? I'm stumped.
As for the whole Sekhenun feeding thing: ask yourself this, bros: is it wise to wave prime akioyshi beef steaks in the face of an emaciated beggar, especially one who is your physician, while at the same time saying "ololol, u can't have any, suckah!!!!111!1!"? That's just asking for a specifically made poison in you food/drink, bros. Just sayin'.

Anabanana

Augur
Esquilax: What part of "the only reason I'm voting for this is because it's hypocritical not to and I fucking detest hypocrites" do you not get? If I was voting pragmatically, I wouldn't be voting 1 at all, for fuck's sake. But hey, thanks for breaking down what votes make sense and what don't like I don't have a brain. I realllly appreciate it.

Esquilax

Arcane
No need to be a dick about it, bro. I just figured that since you were one of the most vocal people for abandoning Theseus on the basis of pragmatism (which was the colder, smarter choice) that you might change your mind here.

Baltika9 makes some sense. I guess it would be inconsistent to deny her at this point, and it might do more to cause a rift between us than letting her feed would. Maybe I'm too paranoid after the Theseus situation and 80 years of being an average Jane have made Sekhenun mellow out somewhat. Maybe she's gone native. I still don't like giving concessions like this so easily though.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
No, guys. We shouldn't let her off the hook just like that. Not without a deal of some kind. Preferably a deal which will grant us more knowledge than we presently have. Treave, would it be possible to arrange such a thing with option 1?

Baltika9

Arcane
No, guys. We shouldn't let her off the hook just like that. Not without a deal of some kind.
Bow chica wow wow?

Seriously, though, you've a point. Ask her questions before we ley her eat the whole empire. After that? Not our problem.
:smug:

ScubaV

Prophet
Alright, fair enough, I'll flop to A2. We did even mention eating Gieloth and she totally brushed it off. Let's let her be the first to mention her diet.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No, guys. We shouldn't let her off the hook just like that. Not without a deal of some kind. Preferably a deal which will grant us more knowledge than we presently have. Treave, would it be possible to arrange such a thing with option 1?

I'll just say here that Esquilax is on to something with his theory on Gieloth and debts. Also, regarding Tuwanu, necromancy is one of the powers available. As for the issue plaguing the Gieloth, yes, going native is part of the problem. Well spotted, Baltika9. And since I'm doing this, I might as well reveal that ScubaV was correct about the whereabouts of the sword a few pages back.

:lol:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

treave I'm with the people who are for asking her for something in return. Let's have her dump the knowledge of her people we turned down before. If we can learn everything she knows about them - and consequently their hunger - we may be able to learn a way to treat our condition.

A1 - And we ask her for the knowledge + a permanent alliance between us.

Project: Eternity
Everything i have seen indicates that not only are the Gieloth lawful to the extreme, it appears that they cannot even break their promises.

If we release her from her promise, we need to get a promise of an alliance. No acting against the other person's best interest without at least a 10 year heads up that the alliance is being broken.

newcomer

Learned
I know how you feel, man. I'm expecting her to backstab us at that romantic dinner I was talking about. Poisoning, or something. But I want to believe, bros. I want to believe. :( <...sniff>
:bro:

:bro:

Don't ruin my mood & romantic fictional thoughts with these cold & pragmatic arguments :(
I too want to believe <..sniff>...

*Well, that's woman for you; it's always hard to understand what "she" is thinking :troll:

And I too agree with Anabanana for I don't like hypocrites (and also because I want to believe :( ), so I choose 1 out of my personal moral values rather than pragmatic benefit calculations

Baltika9

Arcane

What about this, then? I'm very curious. Especially about the masters.
I'd like to know if she knows the effects of devouring Immortals and Masters. Especially masters. I'z got me a kunnin' plan. That golden bull. When Ean is ready, summon a Master, then proceed to eating him/her/it. It's going to take us a couple millenia to get to a Master's level (if we survive, which I doubt), and shouldn't be done lightly, because as soon as they get over the "shock and awe" stage, we're going to be higher on the hit list then 'ol Osama.

oscar

Arcane
What the heck is a Master? Notifications stopped firing so I missed and sort of quickly read the past few updates.

Baltika9

Arcane
What the heck is a Master? Notifications stopped firing so I missed and sort of quickly read the past few updates.
They're the guys behind the Immortals and Gieloth holocaust. Douche bags and insufferable cunts, apparently.

newcomer

Learned
I have to agree with you guys. A1 on the condition that we make an alliance with Sekhenum & grab all information & benefits we can get

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A1 has the majority. I am surprised that there was more importance placed on letting Sekhenun eat people or not than on… well, the actual choice which determines your long (or short)-term path to beating Marduk.

Chapter 5.3: The Marks

To kill his agents and slowly but surely weaken his grasp on power – that was the surest way to defeating the God-King. Your responsibilities were simple. Kill, and kill some more, and when Marduk has been weakened enough by the killing, and you have been strengthened enough by it, kill Marduk.

Sekhenun would take care of most of the work organizing the resistance. Shulgi’s cultists were scattered across all the cities of Sumeria, holding strong to their old faith underground. Marduk had attempted to stamp their cult out viciously when he came to power, like what you did a few centuries ago. And where you failed, so did he – the cultists were more resilient than Marduk gave them credit for, and thrived in the cracks of the broken society he created. They still believed Shulgi would return someday, though apparently one of Shulgi’s teachings was “I help those who help themselves”, and another one was, “Die in My name and you shall be exalted in eternal bliss.” They certainly wouldn’t pass up a chance to take up arms against Marduk themselves, rather than waiting for their god to do it for them. It was some irony, working with the descendants of the people you tried to wipe out, to defeat a monster that was impersonating your myth to rule.

You were given information on all of your targets – there were fifteen altogether, his twelve lieutenants, and three members of the clergy, the Sons of Marduk, who were the administrative heads of Marduk’s empire. If they were all to die in relatively rapid succession, Babylonia would be thrown into chaos.

The Twelve

Shamash – the top lieutenant of Marduk, and a powerful Gieloth in his own right. He is Marduk’s right hand and the foremost general of his armed forces.
Ahati – a Gieloth general, second to Edem in power. She has a penchant for eating young men, and is feared by most of the populace.
Ramman – another Gieloth general, known for orchestrating the victorious defense of Sumeria when Astarth attacked.
Nusku – a Gieloth more interested in experiments than in conquest. Has figured out a way to give normal humans some form of Gieloth powers.
Mehlu – a Gieloth hailing from the Indus Valley, who has been made a general for participating bravely in the successful defeat of his brethren.
Edem – Nabu’s offspring, come of age recently; every bit as strong in the sorcerous arts as his father was.
Adapa, Balasi, Gamil – Relatively young fledglings who have been given their lieutenant position just because they are members of Marduk’s house.
Zaidu – a regular human, the only human general Marduk has. A strong and noble warrior, known for caring for his men.
Igi – rumoured to be extremely skilled in combat, skilful enough for a human that Marduk has made him one of his personal bodyguards.
Dakuri – a young human who distinguished himself in combat by rallying an entire flank during Marduk’s Indus Valley campaign. He was made one of the Twelve in recognition.

The Three
Ibilsin – the aged patriarch of the Sons of Marduk, one in a long line of many. The powerful head of the clergy, who dictates all affairs religious and secular.
Dapimsin – leader of the lawmaker priests, a boastful and arrogant man second in rank only to Ibilsin himself. In charge of the administration and bureaucracy of the empire.
Gamilsin – head of the militant priests, who attempt to ensure that worship of the God-King is the most important aspect of the populace’s religion, and stamp out unapproved cults with torture and murder.

Sekhenun would keep you informed about any easy opportunities to take. Already, a few easy chances for assassination had presented themselves...

A. The three fledgling Gieloth will be indulging in some human sacrifices in a temple on the outskirts of the city. That particular temple has been infiltrated by the cultists, practically being run by them…

B. Dakuri, one of Marduk’s human lieutenants, regularly visits a particular tavern by himself every week. It would be a simple matter to waylay him while he is on his way home and stab him in the back…

C. The Indus Gieloth, Mehlu, would be riding out of the city with a hundred men to inspect one of the new forts that Marduk has raised. You could bring a force of cultists to ambush him…

The nature of the cult offers you a choice to make, something that could prove useful to your reputation in the future...

A. You claim to be Shulgi. This has the advantage of making the cult more loyal to you, personally, and a slight demonstration of your powers and knowledge of the past would be enough to convince the highest circle of cultists. It might, however, attract undue attention eventually.

B. You do not make such a claim, leaving the cult in Sekhenun’s hands. You need to keep a low profile for your work. Sekhenun will probably spin your existence as an avenging demon sent by Shulgi, appearing only to slaughter his enemies.

“I’ve been thinking about that diet I put you on,” you remark to Sekhenun.

“Why, do you want to try it?”

“No. I’m offering to release you from the deal.”

“… what do you mean?” Sekhenun stops and speaks quietly, her body tensing up. “Are you going to kill me?”

You raise your hands. “No. No, of course not. I mean to say that I’m going to let you eat people again. Well, only the bad ones. No kids.”

She shifts her posture, and looks at you, her expression unfathomable. “Then, you are going to break off our partnership? We each go our separate ways, I will do what I want, and you will do what you want. Is that what you mean?”

“I’m committed to dealing with Marduk. We continue as we have before. Letting you feed would give you a chance of regaining your strength, and I need strong allies by my side. I don’t ask this without a price, however.”

Sekhenun breathes out and smiles slightly. “What price might that be, then?”

“A permanent vow of loyalty and friendship, and everything you know. Do we have a new deal?”

“No.”

“Why?”

She giggles. “My current lifestyle is acceptable for my purposes. After all, I have you to be my hands and legs. No, I don’t require more power… not right now, at any rate. Your terms are too demanding and an unacceptable exchange.” She continues walking, and you keep up with her.

“But… since you so kindly asked, I will make a counter-offer of my own. I will reserve the right to feed on humans again, but as a trade, I will feed once for every Gieloth you eat. If you ask for my permission to eat that particular being, I will in turn ask you for permission to do the same. If you do not, then my next meal will be without your permission.” You nod, waiting for her to continue. “As for information… I will tell you the truth about one thing, and one thing only, from several subjects of my choosing. What is it that you most desire to learn about?”

A. The history between the Masters and the Gieloth.

B. The story behind the recent actions of Zeus, Marduk and the rest of the Gieloth.

C. Sekhenun’s motive in getting involved again with these power plays.

D. You reject the deal. If she does not accept your terms, there is no deal to be made.

(Choices counted separately)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom