Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

newcomer

Learned
Highly possible, and it seems that he has recruited a bunch of weirdos with the same mindset (such as Aphrodite)

Baltika9

Arcane
If anything I'd say he's more likely to be Naram since Zeus seems like he's serving the masters' cause rather than his own with this war. I wouldn't rule Shulgi out though.

It's really bizarre, but I have a strong urge to ally with Shulgi and be bro with him.
Forgot Theseus already? Because Shulgi is going to be more of the same, only he'll make sure the job is done. Thoroughly. He's not a closet bro. He's Tzeentch in the making. He's Machiavelli.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Shulgi might have changed since the time we knew him, albeit with the same goal of independence and dominion. He's not necessarily pure evil and his defeats may have cured his egomania, just as much as they may have enhanced it.

Just look at what Ean's triumphs and failures have done to him.

Baltika9

Arcane
I guess we'll have to see. But, this war shit has got to stop. If it doesn't, it may have a "domino effect."

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
As things stand I see us eventually becoming a more benevolent Hannibal Lecter, who feeds on the dregs of society that might bring humanity low, whilst guarding and guiding it from alien influence. I know we wanted traditional hero, but practical anti-hero is the only way I see us successfully going from here.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Speaking of ancient gods and Sumerian stuff, Cleve has got some awesome shit written in GD in the Enkidu/Gilgamesh thread. :lol:

ScubaV

Prophet
treave said:
You'll find out more about the hunger as the story progresses. Suffice to say it's not too serious a problem yet. Also, you'll notice that you are weaker than before, and you can no longer rely on the passage of time to continue granting new powers. Without the voices, the mechanics have changed.

Emphasis mine. Based on this quote and treave's note about power at the top of the page I suspect that this hunger may be addictive, but it also may be the only way we can increase our powers. On the positive side, we are probably in full control of our abilities now and not at risk of them being taken away. Remember how the statuette now has no effect on us. We are independent of the masters.

It may almost be worth it to run our own little experiment by feeding and seeing how it affects our powers and hunger. Do they both increase? Do they wax and wane at all over time?

I think we're going to have some interesting decisions ahead. We'll have to prey on humanity if we're going to save it. Who we eat and how far we go is up to us.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
B, if there's no pressing need, refrain from cannibalism. Maybe when we get to know this hunger better, we can sublimate it, or at least we'll be better justified when gorging.. :M

Baltika9

Arcane
We'll have to prey on humanity if we're going to save it. Who we eat and how far we go is up to us.
I'm more interested in seeing how Gieloth and immortals will affect our diet. Treavbro, I'd very much like it if Ean asked that question.

This is how I imagine it: "Ololol, remember how I made you stop eating my kind? What happens if I eat yours?" And then morph a trollface.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A - better to feed now than to be overcome by hunger and feed on a random dude like in the fight before.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
B - We are so close to answers. Let's talk to Sekhenum and devour souls after that if it's necessary. Also I think it would draw too much attention to us if we were to eat in broad daylight.

Project: Eternity
VOTE A) "A beast I am lest a beast I become."

Seriously, we are not even at Chuck Norris standards now. Right now if we meet even a minior Gelioth we might get messed up. We need a power-up.

We chose the "eat souls to become stronger" path, now we get to walk it.

Esquilax

Arcane
"A beast I am lest a beast I become.".

Wise words to remember. I've flopped my original post. A recurring theme in the previous chapter was Ean's noble intentions blowing up in his face. He saved Theseus to make amends for manipulating Ariadne with the love potion, but in the end it resulted in a war, Sekhenun's departure, and Phaedra's death. Now that Ean is a bit wiser from his trauma, I think he sees the long view in these situations and isn't blinded by his idealism any more (even though in his heart, I think Ean will always be an idealist).

This hunger of ours drives us to do some pretty terrible things. However, trying to avoid doing these things entirely will end up being far worse in the long run. If we try to be completely noble by starving ourselves, I think we might end up worse off than we would by feeding in moderation.

These guys were a bunch of cowardly thugs, but what if we lose control next time on some innocent people? We won't always have the luxury of choosing our victims like this. I've said it before, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

We know that Mehrune is in town, and even though this is a shit town, I am pretty certain that a prominent Egyptian dignitary on the first diplomatic trip to Sumeria in nearly a century will probably end up meeting one of Marduk's twelve Gieloth lieutenants in the very near future. When that time comes (and it'll come soon) we've got to be ready to take him out quickly so Marduk still has no idea we're here.

Baltika9

Arcane
Inb4 Mehrune says "Ololo, no Sekhe, that guy eats people. You won't be talking to him." Seriously, people, it's broad daylight.

Actually, you're right. This isn't wonderland. I wanted to be bro last time, and look where that got us.

Edit: Although, after this, we can no longer say shit to Sekhenun about "no feeding on humans", right? Although, I heard that nothing brings two people together like a shared meal.
Bow chica wow wow. :smug:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
This hunger of ours drives us to do some pretty terrible things. However, trying to avoid doing these things entirely will end up being far worse in the long run. If we try to be completely noble by starving ourselves, I think we might end up worse off than we would by feeding in moderation.

Let's decide eating/not eating for long term some other time. Now, however, we only have to deny ourselves one meal which probably won't weaken us. After that we hopefully meet with Sekhenun and she can shed some light to our condition and if it is curable.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A – 9
B – 4

Chapter 5.2: Curse and Blessing

You take back your coin from the thug leader, and toss it at the little girl. She catches it and runs off, without even a word of thanks. You grab the leader and pull his body further into the alleyway. The coast was clear.

It was time for a snack.

The meal did you some good; your senses became just a bit sharper, you felt just a bit stronger and faster – but more importantly, your hunger was satiated. Even though you ate as much as you could, you had to stop when you felt full. You wipe away the blood around your mouth, and dig out some chunks of gristle that were sticking to your teeth. The corpse was half-eaten, but there was no way to get rid of it for good. You would just have to leave it.

The rest of your search was surprisingly simple. The guards at the gate were lax. You weren’t dressed like a beggar, and so they didn’t bother stopping you. Some quick questioning revealed that Mehrune was put up at the residence of one of Marduk’s lieutenants, a man by the name of Nammun. Standing outside the well-tended gardens of Nammun’s house, you felt Sekhenun’s familiar, but slight, presence within it. In fact, it seemed nestled within a human shell… you would never have noticed it had you not known what to look for. It was a far cry from the telepathic beacon she was within her temple.

From there, it was a trivial matter to scale the walls at the back of the house, and enter through the windows.

Your feet make a small sound as you land in the room.

Sekhenun turns, still in her handmaiden form, and her eyes widen.

You raise a hand in greeting. “Hey.”

For once, she seems speechless. The next thing you know, she’s rushing you. A small tendril extends from her hand and stabs into your arm, taking you by surprise. You growl and put a hand on your sword.

“You’re alive?” she mutters.

“Of course I am. That tendril of yours is hurting me.”

“Sorry.” Sekhenun retracts the tendril with an apology. “I had to make sure you weren’t some disguised assassin attempting to catch me off guard. I couldn’t sense you.”

“Getting rusty in your old age?”

“I don’t have the luxury of taking three hundred year beauty naps. At any rate, I really couldn’t sense you. It’s strange. You’re standing in front of me, but you’re not there psychically…” Sekhenun thinks to herself for a bit, and then continues, her eyes suddenly hard as stone. “Anyway, I think you should be explaining to me why your breath smells of human flesh.” You do so, explaining what happened in the Labyrinth, what the voices told you, and how you came to be here.

“You have the statuette, then?”

You nod, and pull it out of your bag. Looking at it, she sighs. “If my theory is correct, this thing won’t help you anymore. With your leash gone, I do not know how to connect it to you so that you could take its power.” You look down at the statuette you hold. Was it possible that you could eat it? Almost impulsively, you bite the head. The metal is cold in your mouth, but nothing happens. Maybe if you chew it off and swallow…

“What are you doing?”

“Sorry,” you shrug. “Just wondering if I could consume it.”

She frowns. “Put that thing away, I’ll run some tests on it later. At any rate, I have never encountered a thing such as you. From what you say, I am relatively certain you have developed the cursed hunger of my species. Your former masters gave us the curse of cannibalism to try to control us. You will always desire, above all else, the flesh of your own kind. Without it, you will gradually weaken and lose your powers.”

“But if I eat more, I will grow stronger.”

“Yes. Feeding will strengthen you, but only to a certain extent. Think of it as… a container, with your strength like the water within. When you eat, you make the container larger. The water, your powers, will naturally increase fill up the container in time. If you starve yourself for a long time, the container begins to shrink, and you lose power. The water, however, remains – if you grow the container again, you will be able to access that water.” You try to understand her explanation, thinking on it. “That doesn’t really make any sense. If the container shrinks, but you can get the water again, where does the water go in between that time?”

“Figure it out on your own, smart one.”

“You said that your kind eat themselves. Why do they prey on humans, then?”

“Well spotted. We couldn't work out a way to remove it, so to stave off the cannibalism, we found alternate sources. Your species have proven to be one of the better alternatives so far.”

“So you mean I could eat Gieloth instead of other people?”

“Don’t stare at me like that when you say such things.”

“I’m taking that as a yes.”

Sekhenun waves off your line of inquiry. She doesn’t seem to want to discuss the matter. You shrug, and say, “Right, well, let’s get down to business.”

“What more business do you have?” she asks, surprised.

“You promised me my powers back in return for my help, didn’t you?”

“That didn’t work out in the end. You’ve become this very interesting abomination that I would love to experiment on, but that’s not what I promised you.”

“Doesn’t matter. It won’t hurt for me to hear what you have planned.”

She bites her lip pensively, wondering if she should share her plans with you. “Well, if you put it that way… I want both Zeus and Marduk out of the picture.”

You raise an eyebrow. That seems to be a very tall order. Sekhenun continues to speak, “Left unchecked, the two of them will tear this region apart in their bid to wipe out the other.”

“The war in Greece will soon tempt Marduk to turn his eyes west, flush from his victories in the east. Zeus and his fellow gods will turn the tide of battle against Minos, and that is when Marduk will throw Babylonia into the fray. Is that it?”

“Yes, that’s very astute of you. I planned to defeat Zeus first, but your disappearance frustrated those plans. I had to return to Egypt and go back to the drawing board. Now that you are here again, I have several other plans that might work.”

A. Sekhenun has tracked down a certain, old cult that is opposed to Marduk. Its members have been scattered since the defeat of their god more than three hundred years ago, but they have built up a vast relief network in recent years, earning the goodwill of the people. She thinks she can convince them to revolt. Your role would be to assassinate Marduk’s lieutenants and high ranking priests in the administration in order to make things easier for the revolution.

B. You adopt a plan of subterfuge. You will get close to Marduk by infiltrating his men and gaining their trust. A good chance is coming up. He has lost two lieutenants in the Indus, and plans to hold a tournament to select their replacements. Marduk is not choosy about who serves him, as long as they are strong enough; three of his current lieutenants are human – though of course they do not know that their comrades are not. You have a good chance of winning the tournament and getting close enough to place yourself for a direct assassination attempt later on.

C. There is no time to lose – Mehrune meets with Marduk at the end of the week. You take that chance to enter the meeting and challenge him to prove his divinity. God-King or no, you will destroy the faker in a direct duel and ruin his myth of godhood.

D. You do not intend to help Sekhenun with her plots. As she said, you have no obligation to her. You will do what you can for the people in Sumeria, but you will not act on Marduk’s regime directly.

1. It would be hypocritical for you to continue forbidding Sekhenun to eat people, if you plan to devour Gieloth. You tell her this, and free her from her deal with you. You will need her to be as strong as she can for the coming trials.

2. You cannot trust or control Sekhenun if she regains her powers. She is a Gieloth after all, and you never know what she’s plotting further down the road. You do not say anything about the issue.

ScubaV

Prophet
I think I'll join the crowd and vote A. I certainly understand the reasoning with B, but I think A will help ensure we can get to Sekhenun in the first place and also give us some information independent of any of her biases. I might be more hesitant if we'd never fed before, but this won't be our first line of coke feeding.

Beaten to the punch, not that I mind.

ScubaV

Prophet
A - It would be fun to reunite with the descendents of our subjects.
1 - I could go either way on this, but unlike Theseus, Sekhenun has always been a bro/sis. It's also more honorable than 2, though less "protect humanity" idealistic.

treave, do we still have the ability to forge an Honorblade? And if so, would we be able to do it over the course of any of these choices?

Also, Sekhenun didn't mention anything about addiction (as in requiring increasingly more frequent feedings). Quite interesting.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You could, but it needs some other materials (besides your ribs) that you don't have ready access to at the moment. Sekhenun had them stored away in her temple the last time. If you were to reforge one, you would have to travel far and wide in search of the components.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom