Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Android games: any suggestions?

Stabwound

Arcane
I finally entered the 21st century and have an Android phone. I'm wondering if there are any games that are at all worth playing. There are thousands of crappy little casual games, but I thought maybe there would be something worthwhile. I installed Dosbox and messed around with a few old games, which didn't work too bad. Some of the Kairosoft games (Game Dev Story, Dungeon Village, etc) are kind of fun in a dumbed down management/Sim game way.

I'm not really interested in any of the action games, because those are shitty enough on any kind of touch screen let alone a 2 inch wide phone.

I have all of the console emulators already, of course. It seems like some classic CRPGs would be pretty playable on a touch screen with Dosbox, too.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It seems like some classic CRPGs would be pretty playable on a touch screen with Dosbox, too.

You would think so, but no.
At least I could never get used to emulating the mouse on a touch-screen. Maybe if your phone has a physical keyboard it could work for keyboard only games, I don't know.

Otherwise, no, I can't recommend any Android games. Maybe ports like World of Goo or something, but meh. Phones are only good to play casual puzzle games when you need to kill a couple of minutes.

L'ennui

Magister
I use Dosbox Turbo to play Master of Orion 2 (best way to play this game imo) and a few point and click adventure games, it works fabulously well.

Also there are some good PlayStation emulators out there, I use FPSE to play Romance of the three kingdoms VI and Persona from time to time.

Only game I enjoyed that was actually made for android is Cartoon Wars 2, don't mind the title it's a pretty solid game.

Envoyé depuis mon SGH-T999V avec Tapatalk

Tigranes

Arcane
Scumm + Monkey Island works well enough, with something like that dragging the mouse isn't too annoying. I imagine other Dosbox + options could work for games where you don't need to move the mouse too much. Alter Ego is available on the store (there's a Codex LP). Anything more complicated, like Torment or Fallout, can be emulated, but mouse emulation sucks (you need to drag the cursor everywehre, instead of tapping the screen). World of Goo I think is available, too.

I've yet to find any good made-for-mobile games that aren't casual shit. There are a couple of promising ones but currently only on iPhone, or still in development.

kazgar

Arcane
I bought a handful of games when I first got my phone, but pretty much just play solitaire card games on it now. Others are usually slow to load and chew through battery far quickly.

Though the native HoMM 2 emulator was fun, even just with the demo level.

pipka

Savant
Fire Emblems and Advanced Wars for GBA work extremely well. Actually all console games that don't require twitch skills work good.
If you want to chill, you can play Osmos HD. It's quite relaxing and short. And ofc Plants vs Zombies, if you haven't played it yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom